Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bread Set Jettison posted:

What is the status of the dub? I’ll almost certainly watch the sub but why are they not releasing it at the same time? This feels very silly to me

chiasaur11 posted:

The weird thing is that the dub for the first episode already aired at a con. So, I don't know.

I was there and I watched the dub of the episode (it was fine, for the record). Anyway, I don't think simuldubs have ever been truly "simul" except for a brief period when Funimation first started doing them for like, MHA. They almost certainly want at least a week's lead time for a whole bunch of reasons just so they're not stressing themselves out about a horrific deadline. This way, there's less pressure and less consequences for potentially having to miss a week.

Basically, I think they didn't put it up despite it being finished because they don't want to create an expectation they can't meet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIeYK9w03i4

i guess it's gonna have a different credits song/sequence every episode? based on the title of the vid and how all the ed footage is from the episode edited together super well

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fereydun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIeYK9w03i4

i guess it's gonna have a different credits song/sequence every episode? based on the title of the vid and how all the ed footage is from the episode edited together super well

Yes each episode will have a unique ed

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
This just in
Anime can be good!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I can't believe Chainsaw Man, the anime everyone has been saying would be really good, ended up being really really really REALLY GOOD!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
man, i forgot how utterly adorable pochita is. having his lines voiced drives it home even more.

the op is great, i didn't catch all the movie reference, but the big lebowski reference had me dying

the cg is mostly on point, but it had some noticeable dips in quality. not so much the character stuff, but some of the backgrounds were jarring

glad to see there doesn't seem to be a compromise on the gore

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Kobeni getting up from her seat to use the bathroom, Power taking her seat instead, refusing to give it back and then chugging her drink resulting in Kobeni crying on the floor. What an absolute perfect way to tell the audience everything about both of them. A+++ episode.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I've been saying Pochita in my head so that it starts with "pooch" this whole time and this episode kind of broke my brain since, yeah, obviously that isn't how it was written or anything but it's just stuck in there now.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Full OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMA_isZYsYQ

Full ED
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiJO_OgsyPE

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I never really grokked till now that the arm chainsaws are not on the wrist like i had been assuming, but rather bisecting his arms, lengthwise. Ouch.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I've been saying Pochita in my head so that it starts with "pooch" this whole time and this episode kind of broke my brain since, yeah, obviously that isn't how it was written or anything but it's just stuck in there now.

I was doing the same thing. He's a little chainsaw dog demon, obviously it should be Poochita.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the bit in the op at about the one-minute mark where chainsaw man is bursting out of some kind of flesh orb and his outline becomes incredibly sketchy and distorted looks sick as gently caress. more of that kind of creativity please

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
OP slaps

lotta real good anime this season, it is a good time to be a fan of anime!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Ever since I heard Chainsaw man was amazing circa 2018, I figured I'd wait for an adaptation. It was a really long 2 year wait, but it's finally here.

I'm going in as blind as possible for someone in a discussion forum with chiasaur in it (plus some occassional quips from non-anime friends who ended up reading the manga, because this thing has an absurd amount of hype behind it), so this is going to be fun. So far, I'm glad they don't have guts and gore, just blood everywhere. If it was much more gorier, I'd have to skip.

Also the ending is an incredible banger, but looking it up I liked it more when I thought the lyrics said CHAINSAW MAN. My headcanon is that the song says "TELL ME WHY CRY, TELL ME WHY CHAINSAW MAN" and there is nothing you can do to stop it.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://twitter.com/USCPSC/status/1580215261164019714?s=20

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
This anime rules already

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I’m so excited for everyone to experience this ride. This is def a good adaptation, maybe more brutal than the manga portrays. Honestly, Denjis dismemberment was way more gruesome animated.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

roobots posted:

My only major gripes so far:

1. The style is SO clean that it loses some of the character and charm of the manga. I'll take it as a necessary trade-off for how good the 2D animation looks though.

The only perfect way for an anime to nail Fujimoto's scraggly, cavalier sloppiness is to do what Flowers of Evil did

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

I’m so excited for everyone to experience this ride. This is def a good adaptation, maybe more brutal than the manga portrays. Honestly, Denjis dismemberment was way more gruesome animated.

The sounds really added to the gruesome factor

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmvA5yX4A0Q

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
8 minutes in and i would already die for Pochita

i hope nothing bad happens to my friend, the demonic dog with a chainsaw for a face.

e: well...

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 13, 2022

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

TenementFunster posted:

i hope nothing bad happens to my friend, the demonic dog with a chainsaw for a face.

It's fine.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

TenementFunster posted:

he'll live on in all our hearts. but mostly denji's

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

GimmickMan posted:

So far, I'm glad they don't have guts and gore, just blood everywhere. If it was much more gorier, I'd have to skip.

Well, outside of the giant zombie with giants guts that got gored doomguy style you're right.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

What a way to find out I'm a giant mutant demon racist who doesn't hate gore as long as it only happens to giant mutant demons.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

the manga is pretty gory but based off how they changed the scene in the warehouse I'm willing to say they're gonna tone it down a bit for the anime

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

They did say they’re not gonna censor anything which rules

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

They did say they’re not gonna censor anything which rules

Not... anything?

Whoo boy, genuinely curious about how some of the content in the manga is going to get past TV broadcast standards.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Darth Walrus posted:

Not... anything?

Whoo boy, genuinely curious about how some of the content in the manga is going to get past TV broadcast standards.

I don't know what time slot Chainsaw Man is running in, but I would think what with the chainsaws and all it's a late night anime, and late night anime can basically show anything shy of penetration or uh, "detailed" anatomy

Alternately their maybe be a more/less censored versions for terrestrial VS cable/streaming broadcasts but that's usually just done for smut, so I dunno

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

OnimaruXLR posted:

I don't know what time slot Chainsaw Man is running in, but I would think what with the chainsaws and all it's a late night anime, and late night anime can basically show anything shy of penetration or uh, "detailed" anatomy

Alternately their maybe be a more/less censored versions for terrestrial VS cable/streaming broadcasts but that's usually just done for smut, so I dunno

It airs at midnight apparently.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

TenementFunster posted:

Now Denji is the dog with a chainsaw for a face!

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

I haven't read the manga but the trailers had me excited and the first episode delivered. From what few comments I've seen on other threads Power sounds like a fun character, I'll be waiting for her introduction.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I hope the rest of the ED songs also open with a chainsaw revving up.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

How many episodes until Power shows up you think? Maybe the end of episode 3 is when she introduces herself and then episode 4 is us getting to watch her claim all the glory for herself.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

How many episodes until Power shows up you think? Maybe the end of episode 3 is when she introduces herself and then episode 4 is us getting to watch her claim all the glory for herself.

I mean, I would hope they wouldn’t take too long to introduce the main character

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Episode 2 or, at the latest, episode 3.

Anime tend to adapt Jump manga at a rate of two or three chapters an episode, and Power first appears at the end of chapter 4. At a standard rate, she'd show up midway into episode 3. At a faster rate, she'd show up at the end of episode 2.

There's not enough content in chapters 2 and 3 to justify a whole episode each, especially not when the current estimates suggest this season is going to end on chapter 39. That means each episode needs to adapt an average of 3 and a half chapters, which would probably mean (since some of the later chapters will want more breathing room) Power in episode 2.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So three seasons to the end of part 1 at that pace, and season 2 starts with Reze.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 15, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ragnar34 posted:

So three seasons to the end of part 1 at that pace, and season 2 starts with Reze.

Might be a good idea to spoil that for any anime onlies. Not that the name is much of a big deal, and I'm the last guy in a place to criticize anyone else for possible spoilers, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Ignorance is bliss, right?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

chiasaur11 posted:

Might be a good idea to spoil that for any anime onlies. Not that the name is much of a big deal, and I'm the last guy in a place to criticize anyone else for possible spoilers, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Ignorance is bliss, right?

I think your post has spoiled me far more than random name with no context lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

chiasaur11 posted:

Episode 2 or, at the latest, episode 3.

Anime tend to adapt Jump manga at a rate of two or three chapters an episode, and Power first appears at the end of chapter 4. At a standard rate, she'd show up midway into episode 3. At a faster rate, she'd show up at the end of episode 2.

There's not enough content in chapters 2 and 3 to justify a whole episode each, especially not when the current estimates suggest this season is going to end on chapter 39. That means each episode needs to adapt an average of 3 and a half chapters, which would probably mean (since some of the later chapters will want more breathing room) Power in episode 2.

Yeah, I think that math checks out.

How many seasons do you think it'll take to cover all of part 1 if they stick to 12 episodes per season?