Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

The golden ball bit is pulled right from Fight Club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Power is called Power because she's the most powerful being in existence, duh.

Then why isn't she called Genius. :colbert:

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
EDIT: Dang, that'll teach me not to make sure there's another page before I reply.

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 31, 2022

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

https://twitter.com/cosiecottage/status/1608812903251214339

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

trucutru posted:

She also gets the cheesecake covers. But, in the end, we know Kobeni is the real deal.

Anyways, Makima wearing a maid dress is just character assassination]

Babazulagi is fine tho.

Yeah, literally any other character works better in a maid outfit. Makima is the kind of person who makes OTHER people wear maid outfits, that's her whole deal.

Steve Yun posted:

They picked the wrong character to feature for sure

Edit: apparently contained a spoiler, cropped out now

See?

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 31, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I do appreciate that her hand motion of drying a wineglass is vaguely reminiscent of how she made street pizzas

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

repiv posted:

that gold ball that shows up twice in the OP doesn't actually appear in S1 huh

i was wondering what the deal with that is

The whole OP is a mishmash of foreshadowing and symbolism that only manga readers will get, but also crucially a bunch of cool movie references and an elaborate dick and balls joke.The bowling scene (referencing the big lebowski) and the giant ball scene (referencing fight club) are both golden balls, or kintama, slang for testicles in Japanese, and halfway between these two scenes there's a boner joke with denji's Chainsaw erecting from his head.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

The Mads one is great.

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

sorry if I missed this, but does it explain why she’s called Power?

the Blood Fiend saw those old Terry Crews Old Spice commercials where he goes "Puh-puh-puh-puhpuh-POWER" on TV and decided to base its entire personality on his character

Siliziumleben fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 31, 2022

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Makima seems like someone who wouldn't care one way or another about what she wears as long as it was practical for her work; it'd take an elaborate set of circumstances for it to occur, but she'd act like nothing is different.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

if fujimoto was really a movie guy he'd make denji say "groovy"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

hbag posted:

if fujimoto was really a movie guy he'd make denji say "groovy"

He actually talked about that in interviews.

He likes Evil Dead, but the Texas Chainsaw Massacre was more of an influence for him.

Interesting note there?

In Japan, the Texas Chainsaw Massacre was released as "Devil's Sacrifice", while in Italy it was titled "Don't open that door".

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

Das Boo posted:

The Mads one is great.

He really would be perfect as Kishibe if there was a live-action. I'm also dying every time someone does a joke about Kojima keeping his favorite Hollywood man-harem around him.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I'm not going to go into the manga thread yet but I just finished the first arc and I'm glad I read it, it was good, okay, bye.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i am always so excited to hear from my friend, Power, that I always forget her VA is the excellent Ai Fairouz

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Terper posted:

What's Pochita brand potato chips taste like

pochita

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Pocheetos.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Terper posted:

What's Pochita brand potato chips taste like

Flour and water.

On Christmas, they add a special secret ingredient: Sugar!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
great season, loved the passion on display. the small bit with power in the elevator idly fiddling with the fingers on the dismembered arm felt like it was the best visual gag of the past year. i can hardly wait for the next season.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

MAPPA uploaded the OP and all the EDs together in one Youtube video for handy access

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_flKbsZoAHg

man, it still is incredible to me that they did 20 minutes for the op/eds for a single cour. just 4 cour's worth of material because they could

Julias posted:

The whole OP is a mishmash of foreshadowing and symbolism that only manga readers will get, but also crucially a bunch of cool movie references and an elaborate dick and balls joke.The bowling scene (referencing the big lebowski) and the giant ball scene (referencing fight club) are both golden balls, or kintama, slang for testicles in Japanese, and halfway between these two scenes there's a boner joke with denji's Chainsaw erecting from his head.

yeah, it doesn't come through as much in this series, but it can't be emphasized enough how into movies (in both a pop culture and artistic sense) fujimoto is and how that shows up in his work. at this point it's almost self-parody

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

yeah, it doesn't come through as much in this series, but it can't be emphasized enough how into movies (in both a pop culture and artistic sense) fujimoto is and how that shows up in his work. at this point it's almost self-parody

He did a whole manga 'shot' with a cell phone camera*. Fujimoto's commitment to cinematic techniques is remarkable.

*Well, the last scenes of Goodbye Eri aren't taken by the camera. But to talk about those is telling.

Also, just did a couch comparison. It is more decayed in the final scene than it was when Yuta went to the abandoned building as a teenager. Another point for Eri being a vampire.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

MAPPA uploaded the OP and all the EDs together in one Youtube video for handy access

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_flKbsZoAHg

This made me finally go ahead and make this:

e: can't sleep, have another

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jan 5, 2023

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I keep having dumb ideas

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 6, 2023

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Scholtz posted:

I keep having dumb ideas

Lol

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Scholtz posted:

I keep having dumb ideas

Nice

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5y_ho44TlU

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Like all the comments said, Junji Ito's rockin' the ukelele.

Also is there info or confirmation on when more CSM anime's coming? I feel like I missed the memo somewhere about this all being just a half season and that somewhere there's like an unspoken but obvious fact about when they're making more and when it'll be released and only I didn't hear about it again.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Willsun posted:

Like all the comments said, Junji Ito's rockin' the ukelele.

Also is there info or confirmation on when more CSM anime's coming? I feel like I missed the memo somewhere about this all being just a half season and that somewhere there's like an unspoken but obvious fact about when they're making more and when it'll be released and only I didn't hear about it again.

Nothing as of yet, and Mappa's schedule is pretty booked. That said, they've got some events coming up for Chainsaw Man in the next couple months, and something might be announced then.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The sales numbers on blu rays, dunno what to make of it.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

hey it outsold dr stone and fire force which are both on season 3

seems like a failure for mappa's self-funding experiment though if they're not getting any cut of the manga sales

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart
who the hell still buys blu-rays

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

not chainsaw man fans that's for sure

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

raocow posted:

if vinyl can make a massive comeback,

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

raocow posted:

People who like the concept of owning and watching things at a not lovely bitrate

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
what do you even put the bluray in. most computers dont have disc drives

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Farg posted:

what do you even put the bluray in. most computers dont have disc drives

Ps4

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PS5

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

PS3

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Japan doesn’t do streaming that much also

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I now get Blu-rays in anticipation of bullshit licensing pulls and streaming assfoolery.

Y'all watched my favorite anime, Monster? :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Japan doesn’t do streaming that much also

It's increased a lot in recent years. Last time anyone checked about a third of the population had a subscription to some service or other. And Chainsaw Man did well for a midnight anime live, and very well in streaming ranks.