Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

who needs blu rays when you have usenet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Das Boo posted:

I now get Blu-rays in anticipation of bullshit licensing pulls and streaming assfoolery.

Y'all watched my favorite anime, Monster? :suicide:

It's actually on Netflix now :v:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Sakurazuka posted:

People who like the concept of owning and watching things at a not lovely bitrate

I've never experienced Japanese internet, is it good enough that this is less of a concern?

also ps5 in japan lol

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
i get blurays and games on disc bc i like being able to hold the things i like in my hands

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Julias posted:

It's actually on Netflix now :v:

:aaa:
After nearly 20 years, my bitching reached God!

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Das Boo posted:

:aaa:
After nearly 20 years, my bitching reached God!

It's only 30 episodes though, and I don't know if the rest are streamed anywhere else. I thought it was weird how the last few episodes weren't wrapping anything up

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
What the hell happened there that they made like 70 episodes but only the first half is available anywhere? How is that possible?

I remember I had to :filez: the whole thing a million years ago when I wanted to watch it and had to fight to chromecast it to my TV. For some reason the subtitle track got hosed up every other episode and I'd have to like restart the connection or something. Totally worth it though, show was excellent.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I have zero clue what's going on with it any more. I know back in the day Viz had dubbed it in English but let licensing lapse due to poor sales, which led to a bizarre, nebulous state of availability in the West. I never found out why it's so hard to get a hold of virtually everywhere loving else.

The 30 episodes is bizarre and makes me skittish due to how the property's been treated in the past. It's not going to turn shonen numbers, so I'm worried Netflix won't bother putting up the remaining 42 episodes. I just want to own it. Please, someone let me own it. I want to share it with people who don't read manga.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
There's a trade off
We could lose it all

But we'll go down fighting....

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I was cursed to watch Redline before Monster and can't watch the dub of the latter without hearing Frisbee but the subs I got were even worse.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Farg posted:

what do you even put the bluray in. most computers dont have disc drives
i buy them just to Support The Artists, leave them in the shrink wrap, and eventually upgrade my pirated stream rips to pirated bluray rips

hbag posted:

who needs blu rays when you have usenet
:hai: setting up radarr/sonarr/whatever is an hours-long ordeal, but once it is dialed in, oh baby

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Das Boo posted:

I have zero clue what's going on with it any more. I know back in the day Viz had dubbed it in English but let licensing lapse due to poor sales, which led to a bizarre, nebulous state of availability in the West. I never found out why it's so hard to get a hold of virtually everywhere loving else.

The 30 episodes is bizarre and makes me skittish due to how the property's been treated in the past. It's not going to turn shonen numbers, so I'm worried Netflix won't bother putting up the remaining 42 episodes. I just want to own it. Please, someone let me own it. I want to share it with people who don't read manga.

You're in luck. https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2023-02-01/netflix-streams-monster-anime/.194414

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Oh nice!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Thank fuuuuuuck!

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Hah, what timing

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
Hi I'm still working through the anime but I needed to exorcise a demon from myself.

https://twitter.com/thatgalinthehat/status/1621650964779343873

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What happened to AMV hell anyway? I figured culture just moved on, but it looks like every once in a while someone still gets the urge to make some, and I just watched it, so there's an audience.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
After hearing the hype I watched the first episode and was very turned off. I get it was only one episode but I had a pretty visceral aversion to it. If I continued on would it be more of the same or does the story actually turn into something other than non-stop violence?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Waltzing Along posted:

After hearing the hype I watched the first episode and was very turned off. I get it was only one episode but I had a pretty visceral aversion to it. If I continued on would it be more of the same or does the story actually turn into something other than non-stop violence?

The manga reveals itself to be way deeper than it pretends to be on the surface, you start getting a glimpse of that by episode 7 or 8

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Waltzing Along posted:

The first ep is by far the worst, and it almost turned me off the anime entirely in favor of picking up the manga.

It also definitely goes places that are not just violence. It goes...so many places...

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Yeah, the best parts of this show are the slow bits. They loving crush.
A guy making morning coffee turns out to be one of the most captivating moments of the season.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
2-3 hours? Yowza. Well my partner is curious so we will probably pick it up again after um...demon hunter I guess.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Waltzing Along posted:

If the violence itself is an issue for you, then it might not be worth it. But as someone who was thoroughly "meh" on the first episode while everyone was freaking out, I think that it is absolutely worth giving it another episode or two just to see if anything clicks with you. The violence never goes away, but I think it is used much more meaningfully in pretty much every single other instance throughout the series (with the exception of the very next big action scene, which is unfortunate but much more tolerable than the Zombie Devil). And some of the most stunning pieces of animation are from the calm, quiet moments where it really focuses on its characters.

So if you don't mind the violence as long as it actually serves some purpose, then I think you should give it another chance to win you over.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
The show is trash until Power appears, then it is good.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Das Boo posted:

I now get Blu-rays in anticipation of bullshit licensing pulls and streaming assfoolery.

Y'all watched my favorite anime, Monster? :suicide:

I never heard of this series until I read this post so thank you for the introduction, it seems like something i would really like

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Waltzing Along posted:

the violence doesn't even start until the last five minutes tho

Demon Slayer has probably got more violence pound for pound, and even more traumatic injuries, considering that show has a lot more human characters who can't heal by drinking blood

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I think the name of the game in Chainsaw man is very sudden and abrupt hyper violence contrasted by everyday life. If excess gore bothers you it gets better but never goes away.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

the violence doesn't even start until the last five minutes tho

Demon Slayer has probably got more violence pound for pound, and even more traumatic injuries, considering that show has a lot more human characters who can't heal by drinking blood

Definitely agree with this. I would also add that as others alluded, Chainsaw Man is a far more nuanced show if you get passed the hyper-voilence.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I loved the manga, and the show didn't fully click for me until episode 5/6-- even the fights in episode 3/4 felt a bit long and gratuitous, but once you get to that next arc it slows down and you get some character development since they have to do some investigating for a while before anything needs to get horribly murdered.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
But also, you know, it's about a man made of chainsaws who fights monsters with his chainsaws. I'm not really sure there's a non-violent way to kill a thing with a chainsaw.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Das Boo posted:

But also, you know, it's about a man made of chainsaws who fights monsters with his chainsaws. I'm not really sure there's a non-violent way to kill a thing with a chainsaw.

CO poisoning.

Denji should totally be able to shoot gasoline or something.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Or CO2 poisoning, by cutting down every tree on earth. although maybe that's violent too

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
:hmmyes:
I honestly wouldn't put it past Fujimoto to do a CO2 death at some point.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ragnar34 posted:

What happened to AMV hell anyway? I figured culture just moved on, but it looks like every once in a while someone still gets the urge to make some, and I just watched it, so there's an audience.

AMVs for young people are 20 second tiktok edits of anime fights synced to Phonk music

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

AMVs for young people are 20 second tiktok edits of anime fights synced to Phonk music

I saw some Gundam AMVs made pretty recently. It's not a dead art. It's just less common, both because fewer people are trying it, and because of fear of copyright strikes.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

alright fine you've convinced me to download Tiktok

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

that aside, the couple of cons i've gone to always have had at least one AMV Hell panel so it's deffo not dead and buried

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

I saw some Gundam AMVs made pretty recently. It's not a dead art. It's just less common, both because fewer people are trying it, and because of fear of copyright strikes.

There's an IBO AMV been stuck in my head for years now. I started on it once in some jank-gently caress FOSS garbage that desynced everything randomly, but I do have Davinci Resolve now...

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

symbolic posted:

alright fine you've convinced me to download Tiktok

https://vt.tiktok.com/ZS8uwAEoH/

https://vt.tiktok.com/ZS8uwerPA/

This is what AMVs are like now. Also there was a tiktok trend of people training their dogs to eat things on command when you say Kon

[url] https://vt.tiktok.com/ZS8uw6SUT/[/url]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Ragnar34 posted:

kids do Warrior Cat MAPs instead, which don't carry a big risk of copyright strikes