Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

took an ativan this morning. it's really loving nice to abort the anxiety feedback at home instead of going to the hospital. god loving bless the doc who went me home with the scrip last hospital visit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Gnossiennes posted:

yeah, i know that feeling. idk if it's similar for you on the adhd side, but any time a therapist asks "ok what are your goals?" it's just a blank stare from me. idk, what the gently caress are goals? my goals? to not be hosed up i guess???

i have years of therapy under my belt, but most of that time was wheel spinnin, tbh. what i likely need is decent emdr therapy, but it's a pain to find someone who does emdr, has good trans competency (or is also trans) and that takes my insurance, and that i jive with i guess. the whole idea of it is just, very demotivating!

anyway, my brain is not doin great. i need therapy and i know it, i need adhd meds again and i know it, i need to leave my house and i know it. but goddddd i have zero motivation to do any of it other than knowing i "need" to do it.

emdr def is useful

for trauma I’ve found somatics to be a helpful modality but I’ve only ever had one therapist who was any good at it. i’d also be pleased if I was seeing a therapist who knew dbt or IFS, tho at this point I’m not super choosy, a good therapist practically transcends their modality (tho I rly don’t want to deal with CBT as it doesn’t address root issues at all it’s just papering over issues to be a better worker). tho all this is a bit moot as it’s been a while since I’ve been able to afford a therapist

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Gnossiennes posted:

yeah, i know that feeling. idk if it's similar for you on the adhd side, but any time a therapist asks "ok what are your goals?" it's just a blank stare from me. idk, what the gently caress are goals? my goals? to not be hosed up i guess???

yep it absolutely is. i think it ties into depression maybe, i feel like i don't wanna do a loving thing and that makes setting a goal incredibly difficult. but it's a problem i've had my entire life so i guess it probably is adhd too

Gnossiennes posted:

i know it, i need to leave my house and i know it. but goddddd i have zero motivation to do any of it other than knowing i "need" to do it.

i feel you there too. i was complaining about being down here and the therapist "challenged" me to go to the beach this week and it's like, what am i gonna do there by myself? i don't think bringing a chihuahua to the beach would be a good idea, it's loving nearly 100 degrees and i just read something saying the ocean is 90° off the coast here, so i don't really wanna go in the ocean, parking is like $25, and the whole thing just makes me think about climate change anyway

lol bad brain. being not a total idiot makes it too easy to come up with excuses. maybe i'll go, idk

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

nudgenudgetilt posted:

took an ativan this morning. it's really loving nice to abort the anxiety feedback at home instead of going to the hospital. god loving bless the doc who went me home with the scrip last hospital visit

it really does help, i wish i could get a benzo quicker than "sometime". i just have gabapentin right now and it barely makes a dent

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

has anyone here ever had a proper burnout?

i'm having trouble saying if it's"just" the extreme exhaustion from my 9-month old not doing her nights, the immense pressure at work that makes people quit left and right giving a bad vibe and killing my productivity and motivation, and the mdma i took last weekend. or if it's something much more serious i should consult for

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

go play outside Skyler posted:

I think so

when I was at my worst I completely abandoned a bunch of freelance work I had going for me (didn't ghost them, just sent a bunch of "sorry I can't commit to this anymore" emails), couldn't do anything except the absolute bare minimum at work. stopped paying bills, credit cards, stopped checking email, stopped answering the phone or checking voicemail. couldn't do anything. still recovering from the consequence of some of those things.

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 19, 2023

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

yeah I’ve dealt with proper burnout it loving sucks. the most recent and most brutal occurrence of burnout for me was when I was in a women’s shelter, it was pretty hard to manage the particulars of life when homeless and dealing with trauma bullshit. it dragged on for about a year before I could pick up the pieces again

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

yes, now. i don't really want to get into too much detail because i already did in cjs, it's depressing and smoka was a complete bitch about it, but my "solution" was to just drop everything and focus on my mental health. i realize that's not something everyone can do though, i am lucky that my parents (who i had to patch things up with) are supportive and i have a dwindling cash reserve

i reacted in a similar way to polyester concept and i'm still dealing with fixing all that too. it's a huge pain in the rear end. i can't recommend doing that at all and if you feel yourself sliding in that direction maybe take a long break from work before it gets too bad. idk, if they'd be receptive talk to your boss about it

e: like, i was just starting a new job in april that would've been fantastic for me: it was easy, unionized and paid extremely well. but i had to walk away from it because i knew i wouldn't be an effective worker, even though on a "normal" day i could probably do the job in my sleep. it sucks rear end and probably set my career prospects back a bit, but i think it was necessary. i probably wouldn't have been able to do it

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 19, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think I've slipped into a sort of long term sub-burnout, where I just can't care about my job overall outside of getting through each day, no sense of wish to progress in career, get so used to the plight of others you seem to lose the ability to empathise, basically care a bit less. it's not how I want to be

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i'm having trouble saying if it's"just" the extreme exhaustion from my 9-month old not doing her nights, the immense pressure at work that makes people quit left and right giving a bad vibe and killing my productivity and motivation, and the mdma i took last weekend. or if it's something much more serious i should consult for

same as others, and yep. i was about to get fired anyhow, but i quit my job and now i just have low expectations for myself on the whole. i'm still depressed and it sucks, but i'm a helluva lot less burnt out than i was 6 months ago.

i slept 16hrs a day for about the first month after quitting my job lol. it's come down a lot and now i'm back to sleeping normally, but i don't regret quitting and taking time off to get un-burnt-out.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i got laid off from my last job and haven't worked in like 18 months. i still don't feel like working again

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I can't afford to not have a job and I can't afford to let my apathy jeopardise my career lmao

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nudgenudgetilt posted:

yeah, i recently realized i don't actually want to get better

i think i want to want to get better, but i don't directly want to get better yet

why not

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

is it bad when you often think that if you didn't have the responsibility of being a parent that you would easily choose to leave the earthly realm?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

polyester concept posted:

is it bad when you often think that if you didn't have the responsibility of being a parent that you would easily choose to leave the earthly realm?

yes that's bad. if that's really how you feel you should definitely talk to someone about what's going on. posting can help but afaik none of us are therapists and can't really help

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

it's weird because it's not like I am wallowing and moping around in depression constantly. it's more like background nihilism most of the time.

my benefits just kicked in at my new job tho so I was already gonna find a therapist

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i know what you mean, i was experiencing something similar a few months ago. it felt like nothing was going to get better

but things do incrementally improve, unfortunately you do need to work at it though. i'm sorry you're having a rough time. i'm sure you can pull through it

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

i have less than a months salary of savings because of a complex chain of events involving divorce and starting a family, and also a high risk of not being able to get unemployment checks because i "own a company" - i am not in any way able to just chill about losing my job

also, lol@sleeping 16 hours a day in burnout mode when a baby is in the house ☹️

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Beeftweeter posted:

yes that's bad. if that's really how you feel you should definitely talk to someone about what's going on. posting can help but afaik none of us are therapists and can't really help

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

polyester concept posted:

on paper it's bad but it's gonna be the norm soon imo

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

guess who just got a bill of around 15 grand to pay

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

guess who just got a bill of around 15 grand to pay

wtf what for

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

echinopsis posted:

wtf what for

explaining this would mean explaining pretty much my entire life story. let's say its legitimacy is questionnable, but it's owed to the government, which means fighting it will be difficult and/or expensive

guess who has 0 energy to fight this in this present moment?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
If the government is the U.S government i'd enlist the highest tier "Enrolled Agent" to try and figure it out.

I finally got one that reclassified me from 1099 to employee and it would have saved me a bunch of money if the late fees hadn't already crept so high.

She direct dialed someone at the IRS after getting all the ducks in a row and was able to fix it in my favor pretty quick.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
iirc go play outside skyler is swiss, i'm sure their system is completely different

but if talking to a lawyer there would be cheaper that's not a bad suggestion (if it's something a lawyer can help with)

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

correct i am swiss. i could spend 2k getting a lawyer to look into it and try and write a letter, but if it fails i'd be out 15k + 2k 😂

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah true. do they do free consults there? the lawyer should be able to tell you if there's a reasonable chance of success, although of course they can't guarantee it

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

i got laid off from my last job and haven't worked in like 18 months. i still don't feel like working again

this is why i don't think therapy will help me. all my brain sads come from having to work a job.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

KidDynamite posted:

this is why i don't think therapy will help me. all my brain sads come from having to work a job.
I feel like that's true of most people though.

Work sucks
I know

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Work sucks
I know

she left me roses by the stairs

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

mediaphage posted:

she left me roses by the stairs

surprises let me know she ca-res

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Say it ain't so

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

KidDynamite posted:

do you really have to

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Just kidding, I know that we all pretty much do :smith:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

quadblock

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe posted:

Say it ain't so

I legit enjoy this song

mystes
May 31, 2006

echinopsis posted:

I legit enjoy this song
you probably didn't have to hear it 5000 times in the 90s

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
anyone here on buspar (buspirone)? i just got prescribed it, interested to hear if it helped anyone

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I’ve dispensed a fair bit of it but never really talked to anyone about it. rare choice but eh everyone is different. I hope it helps brother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah i'd never even heard of it before but my new psychiatrist wants to go with it over a benzo. thanks though, i hope it works