Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Beeftweeter posted:

anyone here on buspar (buspirone)? i just got prescribed it, interested to hear if it helped anyone

I take it for anxiety but I’m not sure how much it helps. I don’t get any side effects and I dont want to find out what happens if I stop lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
did they give you some time frames and expectations?

glad it’s not a benzo mate, they are very very blunt tools and the costs can be high

we’re discontinuing triazolam here and a lot of oldies have been on it for fuckkn donkeys and it’s not gonna be great. there’s a massive cohort of older people on benzos or zopiclone/ambien and they’ve always been a short term medication in theory but the system sucks and continuing to prescribe is the path of least resistance and you’ve got this half zombified people who can’t remember half their life and now they’ve got major falls risks due to all the CNS depression going on and now you’re gonna try and remove medications they’ve developed profound physical dependency with.

I talk to older people and they say things like “i’m
a worrier”, and they’re lonely and retired. no wonder they have anxiety, all they do is sit around and worry about things. and maybe it really is too late to change things, cognitive behaviour therapy to try to change their thought patterns. they just think that’s how they are and are sort of OK with being that way. sucks for everyone around them though.

anyway they’re gonna have a tough tough time coming off triazolam and I bet almost all will just transition to zopiclone anyway which tbf is a better drug but it is just kicking the can down the road. but proper management of this poo poo takes more than a 15 min consult every 3 months

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
looks like buspirone is almost closer to a modern antidepressant (in the way you’d treat it, not the pharmacology) than an actual CNS depressant which is good. the same kinds of time frames apply too it seems, don’t expect immediate results.

good luck dude. some people get huge benefit from some drugs that others don’t.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i love my benzos, but have to treat them like loving gold. i have 17 of my 20mg lorazepam left after taking 1mg monday to deal with cross country travel

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like I am getting “used to” the ritalin. maybe I need a bigger dose idk. it certainly helps me focus more but emphasis also that it’s simply one part of the puzzle and am gonna have to focus on discipline like never before - that is, if I got ritalin, it’s because I actually want to progress and not get held back in life. and that means, more than just ritalin

I’ve now sold my house, meaning no mortgage right and now and will pay of all my debts today. it’s a huge mental hurdle im finally over. have been putting off a lot of stuff which I am sort of dreading now having to face but that’s life.

this year was always gonna be a big one. stressing about this adhd diagnoses but I got there. stressing about selling house but I got there. still living at my mums which I don’t love but let’s be real I can’t complain it’s an easy life here. professing being made on building sleepout at my gfs place and then when that’s done I can move there. we’ll be able to hammer that mortgage. winter is half over.

need to get some exercise and discipline. would love to start considering a different job (not more
of the same) and have been putting it off while this other stuff going on coz I don’t do well with lots going on.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i love my benzos, but have to treat them like loving gold. i have 17 of my 20mg lorazepam left after taking 1mg monday to deal with cross country travel

indeed. I had a clonazepam dropper bottle. hard to know how much is left.

but they’re a bit of a nothing drug imo. a good tool. I understand people with anxiety get some recreational benefit out or them, some people call it euphoria but I’d be inclined to think that a total lack of anxiety (which is quite dysphoric) feels like euphoria to someone who has a lot of anxiety

rc benzos seems like playing with fire. I follow a lot of drug subreddits and some of the experimental poo poo that’s around wow. anyone remember when tcc went thru a phase of people using flunazepam? something like that. a benzo with like a 36hr half life or something insane and active at about 1mg and people were eyeballing it and taking effectively huge doses, or even just taking small doses and then taking huge redoses once under the influence. didn’t people lose their jobs and livelihoods? come-to in a different country

once I went out on the piss on 2x0.5mg clonazepams. fuckin hell that was a bad idea. went out with work colleagues at a new job and absolutely overshared .. and don’t remember doing so until coming back to work monday morning. in nz you can fire someone in the first 3 months for any reason (or quit for any reason, and tbh I think it’s quite good, after that it’s much harder) and I lost that job and while that wasn’t the cause I am sure it played a big part in the bosses decision making. I did not take that job seriously enough at all :/

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

yeah, i really don't get the euphoria side of it.

when i take it, i'm usually pretty wound up, and the next thing i know i'm unable to stay awake, then when i wake up i'm no longer wound up.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

echinopsis posted:

did they give you some time frames and expectations?

glad it’s not a benzo mate, they are very very blunt tools and the costs can be high

they didn't, just "twice a day and it'll take a while to work", which kinda sucks because i'm still waiting on the duloxetine to relieve my sciatica

honestly i was hoping for a benzo and i could tell he was mentally going back and forth between thinking about giving me more clonazepam (i was on it previously) or this. he says it's similarly effective in other patients that he treats but idk, i sometimes have highly situational anxiety and taking a benzo is honestly an excellent way to short-circuit that. maybe i'll get some next month, they are cheap as poo poo here

finally got some more dextroamphetamine too so i'm looking forward to actually being productive again

Silver Alicorn posted:

I take it for anxiety but I’m not sure how much it helps. I don’t get any side effects and I dont want to find out what happens if I stop lol

one thing he did mention is that it's not addictive and there's no withdrawals or discontinuation syndrome, so you should be fine just dropping it. idk, i read a bit about it and it seems good. i hope it helps both of us

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

nudgenudgetilt posted:

yeah, i really don't get the euphoria side of it.

when i take it, i'm usually pretty wound up, and the next thing i know i'm unable to stay awake, then when i wake up i'm no longer wound up.

yep that's basically how i'd describe it too. no amount really makes me feel euphoric, it just takes the edge off and gets me to basically "normal but relaxed"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
glad you’ve got at least those dexies

and yeah, benzos as prn are fine, especially if the supply is limited and you’re forced to ration them, which might feel unfair but it’s for the better

like sometimes it can be tempting to want to medicate away all of the human condition, I know I am like that, but some pain and suffering is actually part of a real life and I suspect it’s actually necessary to appreciate life

someone addicted to opioids, a drug that can effectively emotionally stunt you, where you can lose a loved one and just take enough drugs so you don’t feel the pain of their loss - it’s tempting but I suspect it leads to a bit of a hollow life.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

echinopsis posted:

I feel like I am getting “used to” the ritalin. maybe I need a bigger dose idk. it certainly helps me focus more but emphasis also that it’s simply one part of the puzzle and am gonna have to focus on discipline like never before - that is, if I got ritalin, it’s because I actually want to progress and not get held back in life. and that means, more than just ritalin

I’ve now sold my house, meaning no mortgage right and now and will pay of all my debts today. it’s a huge mental hurdle im finally over. have been putting off a lot of stuff which I am sort of dreading now having to face but that’s life.

this year was always gonna be a big one. stressing about this adhd diagnoses but I got there. stressing about selling house but I got there. still living at my mums which I don’t love but let’s be real I can’t complain it’s an easy life here. professing being made on building sleepout at my gfs place and then when that’s done I can move there. we’ll be able to hammer that mortgage. winter is half over.

need to get some exercise and discipline. would love to start considering a different job (not more
of the same) and have been putting it off while this other stuff going on coz I don’t do well with lots going on.

you've legitimately accomplished a lot in a pretty short time frame and i think that's proof positive it's helping you. i'm really glad you've been able to navigate your life issues and it seems like things are improving, that's good! honestly proud of you man

echinopsis posted:

glad you’ve got at least those dexies

and yeah, benzos as prn are fine, especially if the supply is limited and you’re forced to ration them, which might feel unfair but it’s for the better

like sometimes it can be tempting to want to medicate away all of the human condition, I know I am like that, but some pain and suffering is actually part of a real life and I suspect it’s actually necessary to appreciate life

someone addicted to opioids, a drug that can effectively emotionally stunt you, where you can lose a loved one and just take enough drugs so you don’t feel the pain of their loss - it’s tempting but I suspect it leads to a bit of a hollow life.

absolutely, i'm looking forward to hopefully getting my poo poo in order

addictions can be weird. i do have a bit of a problem taking things uhh not as directed lol and yeah it can get bad. i still feel like i was more functional than at any point in my life when i was on a shitton of opiates for back problems, but that might've been coincidental. i was just trying to get through it. but recently i did notice that i was pushing myself too hard on them, looking back at some pictures of myself from that time period, i looked absolutely exhausted all the time. from what i remember it didn't really feel like it. pretty weird

but i also noticed some gaps in my memory from when i was on heavier benzo doses though. it's genuinely scary to think about imo, obviously you don't notice that you've forgotten something and it sucks to discover that you had (because i generally think my memory is pretty good). i'd honestly like to forget this period of my life, but practically this time around i hope the buspar doesn't do that. from what i've read it shouldn't

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmm I know what you mean about getting more poo poo done under opioids. they’re a wonder drug in a way, they block everything bad, including feelings of tiredness or tedium or not wanting to do things, and they can be performance enhancing not because they give you motivation like stimulants but because they remove other psychological barriers

but of course we all know these benefits aren’t free and the cost gets increasingly terrible

thanks for the support brother

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tomorrow I am going to my gp

I have to talk to him about the diabetes drug that he put me on but I bounced off after 6 weeks due to unrelenting nausea

and then say hey also I got diagnosed and now on ritalin so can u script that for me

and then hey also motivation and depression is about as bad as it’s ever been how’d u feel if I tried zyban/bupropion (since I’ve always tried and really didn’t like SSRIs and also venlafaxine and also moclobemide)

thankfully we have 15 minutes so should be no issue to cover all those things

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
dr gave me the zyban. some people report a honeymoon period. I hope I have that lol. and a friend of mine tells me it makes her mega horny and lol i’m curious about what that might be like

81523_5
Aug 16, 2023
no one is allowed to talk about search theory :(

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what the heck is that

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
Search theory, in the context of economics and operations research, is a field that deals with the problem of finding the optimal strategy for searching and matching items in an environment with uncertainty. It's commonly applied to situations where individuals or firms need to locate or match with a specific object, person, or information, but they don't have complete information about where or how to find it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i started on bupropion/wellbutrin/zyban like 3 weeks ago

I think it helps. compared to SSRIs it doesn’t make you less horny 😉 it’s not indicated as an antidepressant here (only as a smoking cessation tool) but I asked the dr and he said sure

both bupropion and methylphenidate are dopamine and noradrenaline/norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors but seems like bupropion is relatively mild on the dopamine front so it’s got much less abuse potential (but still some)

overall the combo seems pretty good, especially at increasing a general a sense of motivation, and at the very least I don’t have the same despair I was having prior.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
they want to blast my head with magnets for depression lol

i said i'd think about it but idk the whole idea seems a little weird and i'm not convinced it'd be effective

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i thought wellbutrin *was* an ssri

tms sounds neat. i'd give it a shot but my doctor said insurance probably wouldn't cover it for me

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

they want to blast my head with magnets for depression lol

i said i'd think about it but idk the whole idea seems a little weird and i'm not convinced it'd be effective

sounds like quackery to me.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

akadajet posted:

sounds like quackery to me.

I mean. I’m not a doctor so it may not be, but it’s giving me the same vibes as “head on apply directly to the forehead” from the description.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
humans seem to be able to stand in huge magnetic fields seemingly without any impact, so I can’t help by wonder how those things work

maybe there’s some evidence idk

nudgenudgetilt posted:

no, it doesn’t have any impact on serotonin. while it’s not for everyone, it doesn’t have some of the worst side effects that SSRIs can have

which means you can also take psychedelics and mdma with it. in fact bupropion inhibits the metabolism of mdma leading to higher plasma concentrations = more bang for your buck

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

nudgenudgetilt posted:

tms sounds neat. i'd give it a shot but my doctor said insurance probably wouldn't cover it for me

yeah that's the main thing, if i can't get insurance to pay for it i'm absolutely not gonna bother vs. being 50/50 on it if i can get it covered

echinopsis posted:

humans seem to be able to stand in huge magnetic fields seemingly without any impact, so I can’t help by wonder how those things work

maybe there’s some evidence idk

that was my line of thought as well but it is apparently effective against medication-resistant depression (no ssri i've ever taken has really done jack poo poo for me besides help with nerve pain while making me feel kinda weird). at the same time i'm not even sure i really meet the criteria, my therapist says i do but i think at least some of the symptoms she cites are caused by other things. obviously i can't be sure though so idk

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

echinopsis posted:

while it’s not for everyone

heh, such an understatement. i was a suicidal 12 year old thanks to wellbutrin

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
drat sorry to hear it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i know it's yospos but y'all can actually look up data on various clinical therapies these days. anyway tms can definitely evoke brain changes and has been proven effective in depression (rah rah replication crisis, etc). so it's definitely not nothing

whether it is effective for any specific individual is obv harder to pin down

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that’s what other posters are here for

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah that's the main thing, if i can't get insurance to pay for it i'm absolutely not gonna bother vs. being 50/50 on it if i can get it covered

that was my line of thought as well but it is apparently effective against medication-resistant depression (no ssri i've ever taken has really done jack poo poo for me besides help with nerve pain while making me feel kinda weird). at the same time i'm not even sure i really meet the criteria, my therapist says i do but i think at least some of the symptoms she cites are caused by other things. obviously i can't be sure though so idk

i did 7 weeks of rTMS/rTBS (theta burst stimulation), and it was one of the only things that has abated treatment-resistant depression for me. unfortunately, the effect went away after about a year, and it was pretty expensive ($40/session for 35 sessions) and time consuming. but definitely effective.

that said, some of the effect is probably because i was a shut-in at the time and 7 weeks of forced daily house-leaving will do anyone some good.

on that note, i had my first session with a therapist today, and it was the first time i drove in like seven months. first step to dealing with agoraphobia i hope 🤗

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
godspeed

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Gnossiennes posted:

i did 7 weeks of rTMS/rTBS (theta burst stimulation), and it was one of the only things that has abated treatment-resistant depression for me. unfortunately, the effect went away after about a year, and it was pretty expensive ($40/session for 35 sessions) and time consuming. but definitely effective.

that said, some of the effect is probably because i was a shut-in at the time and 7 weeks of forced daily house-leaving will do anyone some good.

on that note, i had my first session with a therapist today, and it was the first time i drove in like seven months. first step to dealing with agoraphobia i hope 🤗

hmm interesting. i've never heard of rTBS but it sounds interesting too, my therapist is off this week but i'll ask about it next time

thanks for sharing. honestly your endorsement might be pushing me towards actually trying it because while i'm not nearly as agoraphobic it is kind of something i struggle with because of social anxiety

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Gnossiennes posted:

Beeftweeter posted:

thanks for sharing.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

good luck with your magnet fishing for contentment OP

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
There was an ask me about therapy thread where I believe most goons in the know were endorsing some forms of treatment like that.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

felt a pukefest coming on this morning so i took an ativan

have some critical deliverables due at work today, but now, the fucks, they are so fleeting

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

therapy continues. i hate how short it is vs how much history and bullshit i have to get through :mad: but in good news, it's been a much better experience so far than with the last two times i tried therapy (they did not go well).

and i left the house twice last week, and i went two places today, so that's definite improvement. done with productivity today tho.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

echinopsis posted:

SSRIs ... make you less horny

this mostly stops after you've been taking them for a while, but at the beginning if you manage to have sex anyway, you'll last like a champ

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gnossiennes posted:

therapy continues. i hate how short it is vs how much history and bullshit i have to get through :mad: but in good news, it's been a much better experience so far than with the last two times i tried therapy (they did not go well).

and i left the house twice last week, and i went two places today, so that's definite improvement. done with productivity today tho.

great poo poo mate

DELETE CASCADE posted:

this mostly stops after you've been taking them for a while, but at the beginning if you manage to have sex anyway, you'll last like a champ

lol. and yeah there are some ssris that you take only when needed to prevent premature ejackin’

in other news :

so far bupropion is pretty good. interesting both methylphenidate and bupropion are in the same drug category which is dopamine noradrenaline reuptake inhibitors, except bupropion is pretty mild on the dopamine side and methylphenidate mild on the noradrenaline side, but as a combo they work well for both motivation (from the noradrenaline) and ability to focus (the dopamine)

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
lexapro i think did me for the surprise! climax prevention

and zoloft iirc

there is a plateau of excitation that's hard to get over with any stimulation and ho boy can that be frustrating, or fun if you take a positive outlook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
besides having a decreased sex drive i don't really have any other sexual side effects from ssris, i guess i'm lucky?