Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i have generalized anxiety also, but my psychiatrist hasn't been too shy about dishing out the benzos lol. i've been off and on them, though, for two reasons: they're insidiously addictive and also they knock me the gently caress out, especially after a round of stims

still, a decent alternative is gabapentin, which i also had tried at first to stem my nerve pain. while it's decent at that, you need a truly ridiculous dose (roughly 1.6g/day), so i figured taking it for that specifically would be pretty unhealthy eventually (my bloodwork has been fine though).

its intended use is as a mood stabilizer, though, and tbh it's actually really good at it. it's a very weird drug in general but it doesn't give me the same knockout blow that benzos do. maybe something to look into

e: i speel gud

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

stims and benzos you say....? maybe i do need to go to the doctor.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

post hole digger posted:

stims and benzos you say....? maybe i do need to go to the doctor.

you don't even need to go anywhere now! lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
pregabalin has all but surpassed gabapentin, it’s got much more favourable pharmacokinetics so dosing is far easier. it’s gaining a lot of street cred for betting high in the best way so becoming a controlled drug across the world

I wonder if I was on stims if I could make more use of my time off. I dream of getting thrust master to a place where a VC will give me $100 and I can employ a person with artistic integrity to help me make the game and can progress out of my crappy pharmacy cocoon. I imagine a lot of poo poo mostly imagining being successful but then I realise my ideas or at least execution is garbage just go look at crimecommitter.com lmao clown university amirohjt

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
tried pregabalin for a bit too, shits ridiculously expensive here though and i didn't see much benefit beyond the dosage being markedly lower

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Silver Alicorn posted:

I have a hunch that, for adhd people, the benefits of exercise are reduced or non existent

yeah. it's all about chasing that dopamine, though, and if exercise doesn't give you that hit you're after, then it's drat hard to keep it up. for a while i was seeing a personal trainer and was in the best shape of my life, but as soon as it was time to transition into going solo more often, the obligation and fear of letting another person down was gone and i just didn't care to go anymore. i never felt that "runner's high" people talk about. lifting weights never made me feel like i was cumming despite what arnold says. was seeing the trainer for 6 months straight, 3 times a week. made lifestyle changes. but despite looking better and feeling better physically, it wasn't enough.

edit: i have what they call "inattentive" adhd. it's essentially adhd without the h, and is why it often goes undiagnosed for so long - you aren't the hyperactive kid that can't sit still. it's why people so often chalk it up to depression when they hear your symptoms. probably also a reason why exercise isn't as effective. a friend of mine has the regular ol high energy adhd and says exercise does help, so...

when I first read this i knew i needed to see a psychiatrist

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 7, 2022

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
turns out that weed is extremely good for certain brain problems

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

polyester concept posted:

yeah. it's all about chasing that dopamine, though, and if exercise doesn't give you that hit you're after, then it's drat hard to keep it up. for a while i was seeing a personal trainer and was in the best shape of my life, but as soon as it was time to transition into going solo more often, the obligation and fear of letting another person down was gone and i just didn't care to go anymore. i never felt that "runner's high" people talk about. lifting weights never made me feel like i was cumming despite what arnold says. was seeing the trainer for 6 months straight, 3 times a week. made lifestyle changes. but despite looking better and feeling better physically, it wasn't enough.

edit: i have what they call "inattentive" adhd. it's essentially adhd without the h, and is why it often goes undiagnosed for so long - you aren't the hyperactive kid that can't sit still. it's why people so often chalk it up to depression when they hear your symptoms. probably also a reason why exercise isn't as effective. a friend of mine has the regular ol high energy adhd and says exercise does help, so...

yup, this is pretty much me too. same with exercise, and i'm lucky i don't need to do much to stay in shape yet

i don't even usually bother making the distinction between it and adhd though because i've had psychiatrists even say "oh you mean adhd?" (no, i didn't, and no, i won't be returning, lol)

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

turns out that weed is extremely good for certain brain problems

i smoked a looot of weed when it first became legal in canada. i told myself it was helping, but eventually realized it wasn't. quit it entirely maybe 10 months ago, no ragrets

i also quit my SSRIs cold turkey last year which I know you aren't supposed to do, and that was rough. the brain zaps were crazy and lasted a long time

speaking of canada and drugs: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/alberta-to-be-1st-province-to-regulate-psychedelics-for-therapy-government-says-1.6607497 - only downside is you have to live in alberta lol. my friend who lives in victoria was like "why alberta first?" and i said "more depressed people" lol

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 7, 2022

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

:same: on many counts. i had a personal trainer for about 6 mo a couple years ago too, and it was great for me health wise. i was also like, maybe a year into taking hormones for gender transitioning, and it was a weird time. on one hand, i had no issues with anyone getting my gender wrong AND i used the men's locker room for the first time, which was a big boost of confidence. on the other hand, i was so loving terrified of being found out.

when i finishing my 6 mo of personal training, my intention was to switch to using my work's gym instead, but my fear of offending my coworkers via using the locker room just idk, got in the way, and i've never been able to get past it :(

Beeftweeter posted:

i have generalized anxiety also, but my psychiatrist hasn't been too shy about dishing out the benzos lol. i've been off and on them, though, for two reasons: they're insidiously addictive and also they knock me the gently caress out, especially after a round of stims

still, a decent alternative is gabapentin, which i also had tried at first to stem my nerve pain. while it's decent at that, you need a truly ridiculous dose (roughly 1.6g/day), so i figured taking it for that specifically would be pretty unhealthy eventually (my bloodwork has been fine though).

its intended use is as a mood stabilizer, though, and tbh it's actually really good at it. it's a very weird drug in general but it doesn't give me the same knockout blow that benzos do. maybe something to look into

e: i speel gud

gabapentin didn't do much for me, unfortunately, but i'm weird and treatment resistant, so i don't think most people will have that experience.

propranolol is one of the more effective things i've taken for general anxiety, altho god benzos just blow everything else out of the water, except for the whole "tolerance" and "discontinuation" thing. alas!

semi-related to benzos: i suck at sleep and take ambien daily. at this point i have lost hope of ever getting off of it lol. it's the only thing that's let me sleep consistently, but i worry a lot about it's effects from being on it for so long. if i had enough money/support/whatever i would probably try to get into a treatment clinic or something to get off of it, but lol that ain't gonna happen. and i doubt "takes (a very standard dose of) ambien daily" is serious enough criteria for that anyhow tbh

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Gnossiennes posted:

:same: on many counts. i had a personal trainer for about 6 mo a couple years ago too, and it was great for me health wise. i was also like, maybe a year into taking hormones for gender transitioning, and it was a weird time. on one hand, i had no issues with anyone getting my gender wrong AND i used the men's locker room for the first time, which was a big boost of confidence. on the other hand, i was so loving terrified of being found out.

when i finishing my 6 mo of personal training, my intention was to switch to using my work's gym instead, but my fear of offending my coworkers via using the locker room just idk, got in the way, and i've never been able to get past it :(

gabapentin didn't do much for me, unfortunately, but i'm weird and treatment resistant, so i don't think most people will have that experience.

propranolol is one of the more effective things i've taken for general anxiety, altho god benzos just blow everything else out of the water, except for the whole "tolerance" and "discontinuation" thing. alas!

semi-related to benzos: i suck at sleep and take ambien daily. at this point i have lost hope of ever getting off of it lol. it's the only thing that's let me sleep consistently, but i worry a lot about it's effects from being on it for so long. if i had enough money/support/whatever i would probably try to get into a treatment clinic or something to get off of it, but lol that ain't gonna happen. and i doubt "takes (a very standard dose of) ambien daily" is serious enough criteria for that anyhow tbh

ive been on propranolol (a beta blocker for those who don’t know, prevents physical symptoms of anxiety which can feed back to anxiety) and gabapentin for a while now funny seeing others in the same sitch

i am afraid to try/v curious about ambien and xanax and analogues but fortunately getting a lot of exercise lately so sleep comes easy and anxiety is manageable with therapy and kind of leaning in to the suck

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

should this maybe be renamed the mental health thread?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

🤔

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

should this maybe be renamed the mental health thread?

well it was called “my brain is hosed” lol

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Anyone who is interested in consciousness and likes sci-fi should read "Blindsight" by Peter Watts. Watts also has a great blog and recently(ish) posted something relevant to this thread:

Seems like a fairly neat explanation for the phenomenon to me.

edit: link to blog post in full: https://www.rifters.com/crawl/?p=10225

idk if i trust this guy bc he says:

quote:

We also know that consciousness has a kind of “off switch“; flip it and people don’t go to sleep, they just kind of— zone out. Stare slack-jawed and unaware into infinity. That switch is located in the cerebrum—specifically a structure called the claustrum.

i looked this up and it turns out to be based on a single case study that doesn't reproduce

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

i am afraid to try/v curious about ambien and xanax and analogues but fortunately getting a lot of exercise lately so sleep comes easy and anxiety is manageable with therapy and kind of leaning in to the suck

you have to be careful with ambien imo. my wife also has anxiety and has much more trouble sleeping than i do, so she was given an ambien rx

i always figured it would lead to trouble with her because when she was trying it out at first, she'd just randomly dart up in bed and start saying random jibberish in korean. then one day i woke up with her ranting about how lazy i am (for sleeping, lmao), got up when i asked her what's wrong, and promptly ate poo poo and fell over on her metal laptop stand. needed 6 stitches in her knee and hasn't taken it again since

alprazolam otoh knocks her out cold after about half an hour and she doesn't just shoot up randomly babbling about whatever anymore either

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

the idea of dissolution of the self terrifies me. i have the worst nightmares about like, having late-stage Alzheimer's and being just lucid enough to watch my personality, my memory & thought, that ephemeral spark that makes me me, just... fading away

hadn't thought about that in a while, before the end of act 1 / beginning of act 2 in (game) CP2077 brought the nightmare literally front & center

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

the idea of dissolution of the self terrifies me. i have the worst nightmares about like, having late-stage Alzheimer's and being just lucid enough to watch my personality, my memory & thought, that ephemeral spark that makes me me, just... fading away

hadn't thought about that in a while, before the end of act 1 / beginning of act 2 in (game) CP2077 brought the nightmare literally front & center

yeah things like the three stigmata of palmer eldritch or the white bear episode of black mirror are some of the most disturbing pieces of media to me for the same reason.

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 7, 2022

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

sort of similarly i always thought a funny concept for a book would be a sort of portrait of an artist as a young man in reverse where a young student starts out with this very animated and creative style of writing and it gets more stilted and dull as the book goes on as the main character gets beaten down by the drudgery of life.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
if it helps, we are caring for my wife's mother with moderate dementia, and she actually seems more content lately. she has always had severe depression, mood issues, tendency to pick fights... but much of that has faded along with her executive function. yet she's still recognizably herself, she can still tell you a story from 40 years ago, she can play a game with you and win. i'm aware that the future of this condition is not bright, but she's 84, and if reduced mental ability also means reduced capacity for suffering, i'm hopeful that by the time her independence is gone, so too will be her ability to give a poo poo about it

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

like to me the nightmare is "i'm trapped in my own failing brain/body and i can see myself fading away, but with every bit of mental capacity that my young healthy self now possesses"... i don't think this is real. the you that is so horrified is not the you that will experience this (god forbid you have to)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ciaphas posted:

what happens in the game?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

echinopsis posted:

what happens in the game?

plot spoilers obviously: your character ends up with a chip in their skull which contains a personality construct of a decades-dead terrorist (played by Keanu Reeves lol, I'd forgot about him being in the game). said chip wasn't meant for live humans, but synthetic bodies, as a form of immortality; so said chip starts a hostile takeover, giving your character two, three weeks to live - if they aren't dead from psychosis-related injuries by then, it won't be them anymore, but aforesaid terrorist living in the former occupant's body instead

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 7, 2022

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

post hole digger posted:

yeah things like the three stigmata of palmer eldritch or the white bear episode of black mirror are some of the most disturbing pieces of media to me for the same reason.

i didn’t like induced korsakoff’s in some Gibson buk as punishment

nor did I like aphasia and semi-permanent deja vu which was basically the same when doing it myself with grain alcohol and vidya game binges

amazing how those old books keep popping up relevant

gotta watch out for phone booths next

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i'm extremely thankful for my partner's support in managing my adhd because it's such a critical part of my success. the tookit i've developed is one thing but the social support network to reinforce my habits is really critical for my development and i'm extremely fortunate my partner is more than happy to help me refine my processes in a supportive and constructive way. it's ironic i'm an event planner but for me if i'm not getting paid to give a poo poo I will give exactly zero shits about time. not in a hateful way, but i'll take my time to do things well. i try to be early/on time to most things knowing that i will be on time/late almost every time because before I head out the door I gotta make sure the dishes in the sink make it into the dishwasher, or the bed is made, or all kinds of really tiny things i do to make coming home not overwhelming for my adhd. partner is really good at retargeting me and reminding me what can be accomplished in an hour of real world time. but all the same i try to do tiny bite sized organizational and cleaning tasks around the house as part of my "gifts to future casual encountess" program and it helps A LOT when I come home to a clean, organized house.

conversely, my sister who runs a consignment store and has two kids's house is my loving undying nightmare now that i've gotten a handle on good adhd management skills. shes about three seconds away from being a hoarder, but I also fuckin get it since she does run a crazy vintage store. i visited the other weekend and a rule I made for myself there is to only take things out of my bag that I needed at the moment and to put them back immediately, because the entire house fucks with my object permanence. every room is an i spy pastiche of mounds of clothing, kids toys, or random found objects and its actually literally loving impossible sometimes to find an individual item because there's literally 400 separate things in my view in a variety of colors, profiles, and textures and finding my charging cable becomes a 45 minute process. actually basically any task at that house becomes an hour process because to use the weedwhacker to trim the lawn edges i have to find not only the machine but the battery, the charger with the extra battery, and the extra spool and those things could be right next to each other in the garage but the sheer density of items on any surface means i get stuck in adhd loops emptying and organizing a surface trying to find items. i do like visiting my sister though because it's a great opportunity to figure out more things i can do in my own house to prevent those kinds of gordian knots of distractions

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i mean ultimately i think my sister is Doing Fine despite being dangerously close to a hoarder because I don't see an organizational system that makes sense given the sheer variety of incoming items. she gets large lots of items and my brother in law sometimes brings me to these pickups. its fuckin wild. a dude cracks open a metal shipping container and its literally full of real levi's blue jeans in bins by the thousand and we pick out the best 200 pairs we can find, or maybe its 300 actual pounds of t shirts, but besides specific boutique pieces she has to buy bulk items. what the gently caress do you do with 150 tuxedos while you slowly sell them? she has an awful awful room full of fixture stuff and its lots of deadeyed mannequins and vaguely terrifying macrame projects and poo poo but the kids dont mind playing in it. but yeah. i wanna help her and ive been thinking about taking a week off and trying to help organize the poo poo out of it but there needs to be a whole infrastructure generated and my sister is Not Good At Teamwork. so who knows if i can make it happen.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

idk if i trust this guy bc he says:

i looked this up and it turns out to be based on a single case study that doesn't reproduce

well that's disappointing

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I thought this was the thread where we post our contact/glasses prescriptions to see who's the most milhouse

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

El Mero Mero posted:

I thought this was the thread where we post our contact/glasses prescriptions to see who's the most milhouse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oCQXBkD1Fc

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

20/250 bitches come at me (I won't see you)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

El Mero Mero posted:

it can be this if you post about

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

El Mero Mero posted:

20/250 bitches come at me (I won't see you)

20/40 in one eye and 20/400 in the other. but that's still only 2 diopters and think there are people here who are like 11 lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I am a diopter denialist

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

-7ish

i also had a fresnel lens for a time

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that’s loving sick

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I had emailed a psychiatrist and he said he only prescribes drugs but he can’t diagnose a person so he gave me an email link and so there’s this clinical psychologist who can diagnosis spicy brain disorder and it’s $1550 so I better start saving

if I saved like $25 a week in less than two years I could maybe chat to this lady. who knows what she’d say? apparently there has to be clear indication of adhd in childhood, and you might find this hard to believe but I was a weird as gently caress kid

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

it can be a long and disheartening journey. I ended up first getting my diagnosis from a specialty clinic, but they were psychologists who can’t prescribe medication (at least in canada, idk about elsewhere). paid for it out of pocket. so I spoke to a lot of general practitioners and showed them my diagnosis (they gave me a nice typed up report), not a single one wanted to even read it, never mind prescribe me anything. some were very flippant and likely assumed that i just wanted to abuse drugs. they wanted to speak to my parents, also, to find out about my childhood, but im not at all close with them and they simply treat mental health issues as a hush topic, so that was useless and frustrating. finally booked an appt to see a psychiatrist to get rediagnosed but it was a 9 month wait time. the whole process took me almost 2 years.

good luck

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 12, 2022

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

vision chat: my dad is 82 and has had glasses his entire adult life, I’ve never seen him without them. this year he got surgery to get new cornea lens replacements and doesn’t need glasses anymore. he looks super weird to me now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

yeah it’s a mess. the psychiatrist specialises in this area, and there expectation I suppose is that you’re coming to them to get medication for it.

I think the part I am “worried” about is that I’m not bad enough for treatment. which on the surface is a good thing to not be so bad, but I suppose I feel like I’m never reaching my potential and also epic failure (as I’ve elaborated) so it would kinda suck to find out that I am just a lazy fucker instead of being able to point to a cause of my uselessness, but well gotta try I guess.

thanks