Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

Posting the phrase “ghost runner” in reference to the very corporeal person on second base in extra innings should be an automatic 6er

Zombie Runner or Manfred Man, please

https://twitter.com/dril/status/922321981

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Posting the phrase “ghost runner” in reference to the very corporeal person on second base in extra innings should be an automatic 6er

Zombie Runner or Manfred Man, please
Retconned Runner

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If this dumbass rule is gonna get forced on me then I'm gonna call the runner on second whatever the gently caress I want and pedantic nerds are gonna deal with it.

Ghost runner.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Manfred man does sound funny

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

Retconned Runner
this is also good

Sydin posted:

If this dumbass rule is gonna get forced on me then I'm gonna call the runner on second whatever the gently caress I want and pedantic nerds are gonna deal with it.

Ghost runner.
Sorry you hate fun. You could call it something catchy that also makes fun of the dumbass rule that you don't like, but instead you're just regurgitating the lazy name that some media person put on it when it came out because you're... more mad at your fellow fans that also dislike the rule?

k

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I just keep it simple and call them The Unearned Runner placed at 2nd past the 9th Inning

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

this is also good

Sorry you hate fun. You could call it something catchy that also makes fun of the dumbass rule that you don't like, but instead you're just regurgitating the lazy name that some media person put on it when it came out because you're... more mad at your fellow fans that also dislike the rule?

k

Ghost runner is fun hth

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm still waiting for a perfect game loss in extras because of two sacs

Then maybe they'll get rid of it

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Looks like we need a thread to come to a consensus on what the runner on 2nd in extra innings should be called :v:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Pungry posted:

Looks like we need a thread to come to a consensus on what the runner on 2nd in extra innings should be called :v:

The Bullshit Baserunner

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Fred Man

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The Alameda Research Man

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Pungry posted:

The Unnatural

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

many great terms in this thread, each and every one of them superior to "ghost runner" which is a term that already exists and means something completely different

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
You're only steeling my resolve old man

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bawfuls posted:

many great terms in this thread, each and every one of them superior to "ghost runner" which is a term that already exists and means something completely different

The Angel Runner of Anaheim.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Position players pitching is fun as like a twice a year novelty when the whole pitching staff is burned in an eighteen-inning game or something. It’s not fun as just a standard tactic teams break out every couple of weeks when the starter gets torched.

Honestly, if a team wants to stock their bullpen purely with max-effort one-inning guys, they should be forced to take the risk that occasionally they’re not going to have enough pitchers. That means extra innings, not letting teams easily cycle pitchers between the majors and triple-A, and cracking down on position players pitching except in the direst emergencies. Every rule sold as “protecting pitchers” is really just protecting this style of boring roster construction, and then they act surprised that the strikeout record gets broken every year.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Popete posted:

I just keep it simple and call them The Unearned Runner placed at 2nd past the 9th Inning

I actually quite like "unearned runner", it succinctly sums up why this rule is dumb as gently caress and has a good cadence.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

The Leftover

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

When a batter mashes the ball to the wall and ends up on second base, I'm going to start calling that a double play. What's that you say, "double play" is already a baseball term and it means kinda the opposite of this? I don't care nerd!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

This is a weird hill to die on bawfuls

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Clinch runner

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

When a batter mashes the ball to the wall and ends up on second base, I'm going to start calling that a double play. What's that you say, "double play" is already a baseball term and it means kinda the opposite of this? I don't care nerd!

Feel free to do so if it makes you feel better? I don't know why you think splitting hairs over sports terminology is worth getting mad about for this many posts???

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

bawfuls posted:

I mean, I'm just calling it the bullshit runner, if that helps

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Hope this is real and love our new Braves GM.

https://twitter.com/hgomez27/status/1625343175916134400?t=lTRiQFZBkuHogXj8UwZIuQ&s=19

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

This is a weird hill to die on bawfuls
Better hill than Tal’s

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

How about poltergeist pinch runner?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mustached Demon posted:

How about poltergeist pinch runner?

Ghoul Galloper
Spooky Sprinter
Revenant Rounder

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Popete posted:

"Unearned Runner" owns.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cabbit posted:

I actually quite like "unearned runner", it succinctly sums up why this rule is dumb as gently caress and has a good cadence.

unearned runner missed by endless tag out

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder
Has anyone considered that ghost runner is just a great word and worth stealing. It sounds cool and is fun to say. Whatever media person did this for us should be celebrated as a word genius. The sandlot kids will just have to make up some other word now. They didn't deserve it anyway so don't be sad.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Better hill than Tal’s

wrong

Thank goodness for Dana Brown bringing his "keep your good players around" philosophy to the Astros in stark contrast to the previous philosophy

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The extra innings runner and the position player pitching rule are stupid, gently caress Manfred. How about you figure out how to make a baseball correctly first

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

wrong

Thank goodness for Dana Brown bringing his "keep your good players around" philosophy to the Astros in stark contrast to the previous philosophy

https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1625489483813765122

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Should be the Ricky Runner

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Framber is worth more than $150 million, Houston should pay him more

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
pecota has the angels finishing 2nd in the al west this year

wrap it up, postseason is a lock and the next 7 months are just a formality

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 14, 2023

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
You could tell me anything about the Angels season and link it to any record and I'd believe you.

"Mike Trout misses 60 games but still plays well enough to win the MVP and the team wins 81 games" is just as likely as "Mike Trout plays all year, Shohei wins the Cy Young, and the Angels win 79 games".

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Man I’ve been trying to get back into actually watching baseball with my eyeballs instead of just following it for literally years now and this stupid rear end rule change seriously makes me reconsider even bothering. I really hope the ‘unearned runner’ term takes off because it’s perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/JesseRogersESPN/status/1625192309234221057

Honestly, I'd be in favor of a mercy rule. If the Pirates are down by 14 against a great offense in the 7th, do we really need to burn their team's arms and salt the earth?