Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

tomanton posted:

Yeah in Toronto we're used to being on the wrong end of these miracles* but this one for sure is top three. Team should be fine next year if they don't blow anything up

Front page of the local paper was Bo and Springer colliding :(

Is there any news on Springer? That looked really nasty when it happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

MLBN is treating Yadi and Pujols retiring like a goddamned funeral.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
MLB Network is airing some retrospective on Pujols and Yadi and it's being presented like a loving funeral and it's deeply uncomfortable

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Absolutely cackling, one guy is holding a framed picture of himself and Albert while looking down at the floor while sad music plays, then one of his cohosts just called it out as being extremely weird

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Despite selling off all their stars at the deadline last year and their entire bullpen at the deadline this year, the 2022 Cubs somehow finished 3 games better than the 2021 Cubs.

Wrigleyville gave their son (Frank) so all others would be forgiven and usher in an era of Cubs prosperity

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

maffew buildings posted:

Wrigleyville gave their son (Frank) so all others would be forgiven and usher in an era of Cubs prosperity

:worship::pray:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Know who didn't lose to the Phillies this year?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
this year's playoffs are basically a giant fraud without the Cubs. in 2023 we shall see how they are truly buntstoppable

wait that conveys the bunt can be stopped, well whatever you guys know what I mean

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The 2019 Raptors win wasn't that long ago, guys

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
cardinals telegraphed their sweep when they played loving terrible ball against the dregs of the league for the final month of the season

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

seiferguy posted:

The 2019 Raptors win wasn't that long ago, guys

Ya but the thing is when people talk about toronto sports they actually just mean the Leafs.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Mike_V posted:

cardinals telegraphed their sweep when they played loving terrible ball against the dregs of the league for the final month of the season

They used up the last of their devil magic getting Pujols to 700

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Traxis posted:

They used up the last of their devil magic getting Pujols to 700

I’ll take it tbh

We gotta grab a good catcher/veteran bat/combo of both

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’ll take it tbh

We gotta grab a good catcher/veteran bat/combo of both

Wilson Contreras is available in free agency.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
There's been a bunch of smoke around Contreras to the Cardinals and maybe it's my homerism but I just can't see it. The Cardinals have for years operated with Yadi: the most exemplary defender, framer, and game caller behind the plate in the game. Contreras can absolutely mash and he's got a cannon, but he's also subpar at defense, framing, and game calling. Just feels like it would be way too much of a system shock to the Cardinals pitching staff.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Cardinals have Ivan Herrera in AAA ready to step in, I would think he gets a shot first

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I'd love for them to sign Willson, but Cardinals don't make splashes in FA so it's gonna be Knizner and Herrera underachieving like all Cardinals catching prospects since Molina

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The cardinals will sign a guy out of indy ball named like "spunk" jarfis who will hit .283/.367/.469.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

R.D. Mangles posted:

The cardinals will sign a guy out of indy ball named like "spunk" jarfis who will hit .283/.367/.469.

The fans will push for Chadwick Tromp, until they see a picture of him.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Poque posted:

Absolutely cackling, one guy is holding a framed picture of himself and Albert while looking down at the floor while sad music plays, then one of his cohosts just called it out as being extremely weird

What the hell? :psyduck:

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
:mets:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

M

E

T

S

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Sydin posted:

There's been a bunch of smoke around Contreras to the Cardinals and maybe it's my homerism but I just can't see it. The Cardinals have for years operated with Yadi: the most exemplary defender, framer, and game caller behind the plate in the game. Contreras can absolutely mash and he's got a cannon, but he's also subpar at defense, framing, and game calling. Just feels like it would be way too much of a system shock to the Cardinals pitching staff.

The Yankees have absolute defensive wizard Ben Rortveldt they could send. Maybe get a pitcher in return. I hear Montgomery has some experience pitching in New York.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Go back to early 2016 and say how Jose Ramirez will end up being the better, more on field successful player than Francisco Lindor. Ramirez was on his way out, holding on as the super utility guy and Juan Uribe was the starting third baseman for Cleveland.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

cant wait to lol at all the end of the year awards the Mets will get

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Well Played Mauer posted:

Maybe get a pitcher in return. I hear Montgomery has some experience pitching in New York.

lmao

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Well Played Mauer posted:

Is there any news on Springer? That looked really nasty when it happened.

They said initial tests were negative but they'd report more in a few days. Guy was already scheduled for elbow surgery this off-season. Hopefully nothing more than just rest is needed for his other ailments

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Braves extended Spencer Strider at 6 years, $75 million

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1579462410691579905?s=46&t=hb6ouqPcICSF0ZwR4FoQfA

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
seeing Jake suit up for another team is gonna suuuuuuuck

even though I’m not 100% convinced that giving him the ~200M he’s gonna get is a good idea

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Angels GM PM is an Anthopoulos acolyte so I can't wait to see the inevitable copy and then failure of this strategy in Anaheim because of the gap in pure talent.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Gorman Thomas posted:

Angels GM PM is an Anthopoulos acolyte so I can't wait to see the inevitable copy and then failure of this strategy in Anaheim because of the gap in pure talent.

They paid Trout 400 million instead of inexplicably convincing him to take 200 million, so already off to a bad start

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Got my Nico Hoerner opening day foul ball signed!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

Owns. I was so happy for you when you caught it.

The only foul ball I've caught was off Chris Davis. I know it would be a huge disaster for the Cubs to sign him, but if you could work on that just so it'd be easier to get my foul ball signed, I'd appreciate it. Thaaaaaanks!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

That's awesome!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I hope his inevitable TJ season doesn’t count in this.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/status/1579506609805758464

100% expected

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
He also said the Cubs are in the early stages of trying to extend Ian Happ which is... surprising to put it mildly. Like yeah Happ had a great year and by all accounts loves Chicago and wants to stay a Cub for life but also the Cubs have a ton of OF prospects (half of their top ten in fact!) and in particular Davis and Canario look to basically be MLB ready. IDK maybe if they can extend Happ on a reasonable deal they'll trade some of the depth away for impact-now talent?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

I hope his inevitable TJ season doesn’t count in this.
It is backloaded for some reason with like $20m per the last three seasons...

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

AlbertFlasher posted:

Ya but the thing is when people talk about toronto sports they actually just mean the Leafs.

Guilty as charged, the buzzer beater and the bat flip both happened with the Leafs' 0-9 closeout streak growing. My personal favourite along the way is probably the CBJ series where they were four minutes from elimination and got three pulled goalie goals (for only the 2nd time in playoff history!) to force a winner-take-all game where they didn't score. The 8-1 will look nice beside the 4-1 in the gauntlet though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
and at least they didn't get beat by their own zamboni driver