Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

STAC Goat posted:

Its possible to be anti nazi and still an rear end in a top hat. That's a big online problem these days where so many people seem to see everything as black and white so like if you support X or oppose Y then you must be a good guy regardless of all the other bad poo poo.

That is a real world thing, not just an online thing.

I could see Correa ending up on the Angels depending on who buys them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I don't know if there is a "fair" trade partner for Ohtani, much like how it was for Soto. You either just end up accepting the best offer cause you are going to move him or say no and hold onto him

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

can't wait until the A's trade the entire roster and field a AA team next year hell yeah

That's more or less what they did this year

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

He's going into his Age 33 season coming off back to back seasons ending in hip and then wrist surgery, so I wouldn't expect much

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Forrest on Fire posted:

They should be spending more, every team should be running at least a $200 million payroll. The Yankees shouldn't ever be below $400 million

They should achieve that by signing every 35yo that hits the market. Cashman running the team like it's the 90s. It'd solve their cheapness while most importantly, ensuring the Yankees still suck

A good example of this is them not wanting to pick up what was left of Verlanders deal when he got traded by Detroit, and then only offering him a one year deal this off season. Both times it was a need and would have made a difference

They also wanted Nolan Arenado but didn't pull the trigger on him because of the luxury tax. The Cardinals ended up getting him for basically nothing and got money from the Rockies. They didn't even talk to Bryce Harper because they had old rear end Brett Gardner and Aaron Hicks on the roster and were worried about having to pay Torres and Andujar later down the line :lol:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Red posted:

Should the Rockies just up and build a domed stadium?

Yes but also no because huge dingers

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

This one doesn't pass the smell test

posted:

The gap between industry and fan perceptions of Cashman and Boone is particularly striking. Rivals consider Cashman one of the greatest executives in sports, and say that Boone will immediately become a coveted free agent if the Yankees fire him. Other GMs and agents are genuinely baffled by fan hate toward those two.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Cashman is really good at fleecing other GM's for relievers, but when it comes to making deals he SHOULD make for top talent he always balks at the price and trades for an obvious lesser pitcher who doesn't really make a difference or they end up sucking rear end like Sonny Gray and JA Happ, OR they don't want to bump the luxury tax to get someone.

The only reason they ended up with Stanton is because he basically forced himself there by saying he didn't want to play for the Cardinals and Miami is paying part of his salary

Ace Jameson posted:

As a neutral observer I'd be pretty annoyed as Yankee fan, having watched them squander Judge's prime by surrounding him with castoffs. Relying on Matt Carpenter, Aaron Hicks and Josh Donaldson in the year 2022 is pretty weak for a franchise like that.

Hicks is another one that has to go too, but he is Cashmans guy. The trade they got him in was a good trade, but then Cashman got greedy and gave him a big extension thinking he was going to keep being a 125 OPS+ bat playing CF and well..

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 26, 2022

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I mean they should. Luck certainly has more to do with it than God who is often the first guy they thank.

I think Hicks is done. I think Cashman stuck with him a season more than most would have. But from the second they picked up two OFers at the deadline I think Cashman had finally accepted Hicks wasn't gonna put it together. Its tough because obviously injuries denied him a clean chance for a long time but as I said, I think Cashman was stubborn and stuck with it longer than most and while I can understand why I also think its fair to call Hicks and that stubborness as a Cashman mistake.

I think people are completely rewriting the IKF/Donaldson acquisitions. There was never any kind of secret belief that they were gonna have breakout offensive years. The Yankees' stated message was always that they "had enough power" and were trying to improve their defense and base running. And I think by numbers and the eye test they did both of those things and IKF and Donaldson were part of that. Now do you want guys who aren't defensive/baserunning liabilities but also aren't liabilities at the plate? Of course. But Donaldson and IKF were always obviously stop gaps. IKF in particular was clearly an active choice not to sign one of the bigger SS to a multi year deal to keep the space open for Cabrera/Peraza/Volte.

Is Cashman wrong for preserving a spot for some highly touted prospects or for not going all in on this season? I don't know. That feels simplistic to me. The team won 99 games and no matter what cherry picking and framing people do to say that the games they won were less than the games they lost that doesn't make sense to me. I think the moves they made largely worked out to improve the team. That doesn't mean they can't be improved more. It doesn't mean they shouldn't have been improved more. But I think there's a lot of dishonest hyperbole going around.

IKF in a vacuum was fine. They believe in the two kids they have and they didn't want to commit long term at the position and block them, that's good. Sticking with him all year ehhh maybe not. Benching and unbenching him in the playoffs, and you can blame that on Boone I guess, was real stupid.

Donaldson was dumb and always dumb IMO, and circles back to not getting Arenado when they could have. Now they are stuck paying 42 million for Donaldson to suck rear end, missed out on Arenado who is a difference maker, and still don't have a 3rd baseman.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

They've still got DJ LeMahieu who probably should just stop being the super sub especially with Cabrera on the roster now. Obviously his health is a concern and something has to be done with Donaldson either way. I think its safe to say that the Yankees got what they wanted from him defensively but hoped he wouldn't be so bad offensively. He really fell off a cliff this season. I don't think he showed enough to want to just say "give him a chance to rebound". He is afterall 36 (and an rear end in a top hat). Maybe you could put him on the bench as backup for DJLM and see how it goes. And to some extent I'd prefer just a stable 3B, moving past Donaldson, and finding space for DJLM at 2B/1B. But there's a lot of moving parts. I wouldn't be surprised if Donaldson gets shopped though as Cashman loves trying to find hidden gems.

Donaldson as a bench player would be tying up a lot of money for a team that doesn't really want to go over the luxury tax. Playing DJ at 3rd is fine, assuming he can healthy anyway

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Benintendi was still a better trade than Gallo though

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Red posted:

To be fair, Bobby Abreu was really, really good

Yeah and very under appreciated

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I loved Abreu back in the day, but in the case of two all-bat RF, the fact that the WAR algorithm says the guy who hit 600 dingers is less valuable sure is something

Abreu was a much better hitter except at hitting dingers

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Jose Guillen 6.4/214
Deron Johnson 6.3/245
Dante Bichette: 5.7/274

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I expected Neifi Perez to have a negative WAR and surprisingly he does not

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Red posted:

Playing in Colorado made his offensive numbers not awful, and he was always slightly above average at defense, apparently. That's super confusing, because I remember him being terrible at every facet of baseball.

He was terrible. He barely hit in one of the greatest offensive environments ever

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

It's a pretty whatever deal. Diaz is only a year removed from being a middle of the road reliver, and isn't really consistent year to year either. Paying a reliever like that, even a good one, is like paying a running back a huge contract. Yeah the Mets have the money but it's a bad allocation of resources

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

See, the Astros are bad for baseball

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Verlander strikes me as one of those signings where if he goes somewhere else he'll be good still and everyone will go Cashman :argh: , but if he comes to NY he'll pitch like Clemens did that first year after he came over from Toronto

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Choi is being out of the division is worth like 2 wins on it's own to the Yankees

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

They might try and move Gleyber for a pitcher and play DJ at 2nd. They do still need an outfielder too, and the rumor is they like Yoshida. I'd be down with that as they definitely need more contact in the lineup if he got posted and wants to play there

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Good Dog posted:

Goons shouted 'gently caress the angels' throughout all of the 00s because they won a shitload of games and now they shout 'gently caress the angels' because they lose a shitload of games.

It doesn't have to make sense or make you feel bad

gently caress the Angels was born out of those teams beating everyone with the original Cardinals bullshit magic, Jered Weaver and John Lackey being huge assholes, and the team just rolling over for the Red Sox all the time cause no one liked them either. Mike Scioscia was also kind of a tool if I am remembering right

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Helton should absolutely be in the HoF

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Mlb.tv is great and even though everyone bitches about blackouts there is unfortunately not much they can do it about it now I think. I'm sure lifting them and dealing with all the individual RSNs contracts and such would be a significant headache and also probably require payouts or re-working of contracts and that isn't something I can see happening

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/BSmile/status/1598358994891915264

"He's 35 years old" he looks like Eddie Harris from Major League

He definitely went back to the dugout after that inning and lit up a cigar

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

That's a crazy deal for deGrom and not where I expected him to end up

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Voting for Jimmy Rollins lmao

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

lol OK but even then that is debatable.... Bonds did a little light domestic violence, right?

In all that time it is possible, maybe unlikely but still possible, Bonds has cleaned his act up. I can't remember the last time I heard anything about him besides that he rides his bicycle a lot.

Schilling we know for sure is still a giant shitbag, and he's done nothing but double and triple down on it every chance he gets.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Pitchers back then were throwing way more than 166 innings, so they would probably knock him for that

e: Don Drysdale threw 314 innings in 1962 when he won the Cy Young. Best he ever finished was 5th in MVP voting going 25-9 with a 2.83 ERA over 314 innings, and 23-12 with a 2.77 ERA over 308 innings in 1965. No way they are giving Ohtani an MVP award pitching 166 innings

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 5, 2022

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Johnny Bravo posted:

Being an Asian player probably wouldn't help 60+ years ago either

If we are ignoring the Angels suck then we can ignore that too if it even would have mattered. Black players were winning MVP awards in the 50's and 60s too

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

2 Years with a 3rd year option seems fine for Verlander? If he sucks then that probably won't kick in and if it does then it means he's probably been good for the contract

bawfuls posted:

what if Judge wasn't a Yankee? And this happened say, 5 years after Marris hit 61 so the record was pretty fresh.

I think you have to just kind of mentally adjust the pitching volume for the era. 2022 Ohtani threw about 90% as many innings as the top-10 pitchers did this year by IP. So pretend 1966 Ohtani is throwing around 240IP.

I understand what you are saying, but I do not think Ohtani is at all capable of throwing 240 innings

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

bawfuls posted:

I think he is as capable of it as say Verlander is of throwing 300.

I think if you transported any modern pitcher back to that era, the best would fare at least as well as the best of the time. They were facing weaker hitters back then and could carry increased workload as a result.

That isn't fair to assume. You also can't say "well, back then he would have been able to do this" because if you want to make that argument how many dingers is Judge hitting? Taking their seasons as is, Ohtanis pitching is no where close to standing out for that time period

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Verlander is FAR more likely to give you your moneys worth, or something close to it, on that deal vs what deGrom signed for. deGrom could easily end up like Strasburg and barely pitch due to injury given how things have gone recently

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

bawfuls posted:

I disagree, because of how these different achievements have changed over time.

60+ home runs has always been hard, in all eras of the game. Something about the way the metagame of baseball has evolved has maintained that.

Innings totals meanwhile have consistently declined over the course of baseball's history. Clearly there is something evolving in the metagame which drives this. To argue otherwise is to argue that plumbers from the 19th century who threw 600+ IP were the greatest pitchers of all time and I think we can all understand why that's a nonsensical position.

The change in workload must be related to a change in the nature of the work, not in the innate durability of the pitcher. The most obvious explanation is that guys have to throw max effort or close to it on essentially every pitch now, while their predecessors did not.

Of course the guys throwing 600 innings were not the best.

My point was in this argument you can't just assume that Ohtani would have little to no dropoff by pitching 240 innings back then while also saying Judge would just hit exactly what he did. If Ohtani is going to be able to do that because the competition is lower then Judge is probably going to do something approaching early 2000s Barry Bonds.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

bawfuls posted:

I'm more interested in "what would the mid-60's version of Ohtani's season looks like and how would people of the time received it in comparison to a similar Judge season?"

You can make up a player to stand in for Ohtani if that helps the thought exercise more than "transporting" him back. Ohtani's pitching this year was 6.2 bWAR. Bob Gibson's '64 season was 6.0 bWAR and his '65 was 6.3 bWAR. He threw ~295IP each of those years with a 126 ERA+. Or Tom Seaver in 1970: 5.8 bWAR, 290IP, 143 ERA+, 7th place CYA finish.

So pretend it's a pitching season that is worth similar by bWAR, but looks more like 6-WAR seasons did back then: higher IP volume, worse ERA+. Combine it with his ~3.5 WAR offensive production, which looks similar across eras.

Koufax won an MVP but it took him putting up a 10.7 fWAR and having an all time great pitching season. I think that's probably what it would have taken TBH. He finished 2nd in 66 with another 10+ WAR year, which sadly was the last year he ever pitched :(

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Philly not messing around

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

I was worried the Red Sox were going to replace Bogaerts with Turner.

Red Sox want no part of spending that kind of money

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Tommy Kahnle is still alive? I really thought he had just flamed out and wasn't pitching anymore

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Yankees should be all over Yoshida

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

3 years for Heaney is WILD