Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
I knew I was gonna hate the ads on the uniforms but somehow I actually hate it even more that I thought I would. There isn’t even an attempt to be anything but a giant ugly fuckin billboard. I’m so goddamned sick of being harassed for my business every second of every day. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Sab0921 posted:

I dont care even a little bit. It's a patch on the sleeve and they already had the nike logo on the jersey.

Lmao these are not even remotely comparable but gj being cool with every square inch of your field of view being ads I guess :confused:

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

howe_sam posted:

Xander :smith:

I'll say it again, the problem isn't that Red Sox ownership won't spend money, it's that they don't believe in contracts greater than seven years.

I mean if it had been me I'd have offered him something like 8/200, and also would've said so long if he returned with that 11/280, but it still sucks to see him leave, especially after the Mookie brouhaha.

This is exactly where I’m at. I was 100% on board to overpay Xander because I love the guy but 11 years is too much. I hope he kills it in SD :smith:

Also the story/Xander comparison people keep trying to make is completely forced. Nobody cares about the AAV, the deal is almost twice as long which I think matters quite a bit??

Nodoze posted:

They also offered him an insultingly low deal as an extension

This is the part that actually upsets me, though. What a limp dick move, learned absolutely nothing from giving Jon lester the finger.

NiceGuy fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 8, 2022

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
I feel like the Sox are far more likely to take a look at Dansby than Correa, especially if they can land him for around then price of what they offered bogaerts. Then again i think the market has skewed so much in the past week that even swanson’s price might be prohibitive. Starting shortstop for the Red Sox Christian arroyo come on down!!!

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
I loved the yoshida signing but even with that, I can’t remember the last time I had lest vested interest in the Red Sox. The championships over the past 20 years have been great but I’m kinda sick of rooting for lovely free agents and lottery ticket pickups. Can’t help but notice we seem to be the only team on the block that won’t pay their homegrown talent.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

howe_sam posted:

Well that and the fact that Bloom really seems like his was genuine in his desire to bring Xander back and was blindsided by the Padres' offer.

See I thought so too but if the offer that was printed is true at like 6/160 then he really is unsuited for this gig. That was never ever ever going to get it done.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

howe_sam posted:

The thing is 6/160 was relatively in line with the consensus for what it would take to sign Xander going into the offseason, though granted on the low end of the spectrum. So I don't entirely blame Bloom for not predicting how nuts the market was going to be. I do blame him for not making that 6/160 offer last off-season, but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

My only pushback on this is that 6/160 was in line for what you and I, joest of schmos, thought what the market was. The number one baseball decision maker of one of the biggest markets in the game should really have better insight than that, especially after turner got 300 mil.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

zoux posted:

I don't buy that anyone saw this market coming. People were like "hmmm dunno about that third year in the Abreu deal" and now we got Nolan Ryan coming back to the Padres on a 10 year, $250m deal

This is 100% anecdotal and I don’t expect this to sway your opinion but I would have easily pegged bogaerts at at-least 200 mil and I don’t know shiiit :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Man I’ve been trying to get back into actually watching baseball with my eyeballs instead of just following it for literally years now and this stupid rear end rule change seriously makes me reconsider even bothering. I really hope the ‘unearned runner’ term takes off because it’s perfect.