Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wait... 12? Clearly I'm spoiled and my perspective is skewed since the Yankees like trippled up most of the league but how is that even possible? Do the Cubs just have one reliever who throws hard who got traded? Was it Effros?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It can be a misinterpretation but I kinda read him as pushing up against organizational mandates more than the players. I dunno. It’s kind of phrased in a passive voice kind of way. “There was a players meeting and then I was informed there was a problem.” So is he just trying to avoid saying players revolted or is he saying the front office was being a third party disrupter? But that last quote seems to be talking specifically about organizational scheduling and practice stuff. But of course it’s all one side of the story.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah I don’t see how you can really blame the Twins or fans on that. Correas contract was what it was. It didn’t work out. There’s bigger problem for why but Correa was always gone and trading him for parts while they werecontenders would have just been skeezy.

So you move on. Correa will probably say something lovely sometime this winter to make it easier.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It would be funny if Correa can’t get a deal he likes and signs another one year merc deal.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It could be that everyone is just jaded against him for some mysterious reason and just take a bunch of things he says and does in the worst possible light to make him seem like a douchebag.

It could also be that he’s just a douchebag who’s constantly saying and doing needlessly douchey things.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bregman at least had the good sense to shut up after they got caught and just did the lovely press conference. He didn’t run around being an rear end in a top hat about it on his own like Correa. At least from what I remember.

That’s Correa imo. An rear end in a top hat who never knows when to shut up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You definitely don’t have to sell me on Bregman being a prick.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’m thankful that the Yanks have an abundance of SS prospects so my constant nightmare of the Yankees losing Judge and panic signing Correa as a consolation prize are diminished.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its possible to be anti nazi and still an rear end in a top hat. That's a big online problem these days where so many people seem to see everything as black and white so like if you support X or oppose Y then you must be a good guy regardless of all the other bad poo poo.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah I feel like to trade for Ohtani you gotta give up another star player or two, not just a bunch of prospects or upside guys. Ohtani is worth too much on and off the field and the Angels clearly aren’t afraid to waste him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah the secret to trade value is it’s all made up. It’s all based on the seller and the market. If a team is determined to sell they’ll take the best deal they can get. If someone wants it badly enough they can put together a good enough package to make it happen. So who knows?

New ownership or transition team could want to sell him at any cost in which case it’s just a bidding war to see how high it goes. Or they’re content with what they paid tor in which case someone’s gonna have to give them an offer they can’t refuse.

But yeah. If I had to guess I’d say a Jays deal opens with Bichette as the center of the trade.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have no idea who that is but apparently his big falling out was two summers ago when he just started tweeting every random cheating conspiracy theory he could find targeting the likes of Judge, Utley, and Adrian Beltre. I’m sure that made him many friends.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh joy. The off-season thread. Where I get to enjoy Astros fans trolling and mcmagic wanting to blow everything up. Nothings changed except my blood pressure.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Here are my thoughts on managers/Aaron Boone.

A manager is not unimportant. He does not necessarily decide games and he's not the root cause of all mistakes and failures like fans like to act. But he's basically got three key jobs.

1) Implementing the strategies of the organization and utilizing the players provided as intended and to their best value.
2) Maintaining a motivated and cohesive lockerroom where not only do problems not fester but players are motivated to improve.
3) Managing the media and keeping them off everyone else's back.

Is Boone successful at these things? I dunno. A lot of that comes down to stuff we flat out don't know like what the organization wants or how the lockerroom is. Is Severino talking to the media upset that Holmes wasn't used failure of 2? Maybe. I guess that depends on how it was resolved. Is it a failure of 3 that Boone didn't operate as the buffer for Sev's understandable frustrations? Is it a failure of 1 where the organization did think Holmes was their closer when its clear Boone didn't use him that way in the postseason? I don't know the answers to these question.

It goes like that. Did the club want to use Peraza more and Boone just refused? Or was the idea to give Peraza some major league experience as a backup before pencilling him as the started next season? I don't know.

But there's stuff that people just put on managers to feed their blood lust. Is Boone responsible for the Yanks being swept or their terrible August? I don't think so. The best you can argue is that Boone tinkered too much with the lineup but like... it wasn't a case of not getting the most out of the productive guys. Yanks just weren't hitting. And as much as the critics want to act like you can't bring up injuries as an excuse August was because the entire lineup was injured. It just was. That is what it is. It happened. I'm not crying to the universe that its unfair. But pretending the entire lineup wasn't on the IL or that that wasn't a factor is just silly.

So should the Yankees fire Boone? I dunno. I'm indifferent. If they don't think he's doing his job or don't think he's the guy to fix the problems or want a clean start, fine. But barring a bunch of stories that were kept out of the media I fail to see how you can put the Yankee losses at his feet. That's not me loving Aaron Boone. That's me hating the reactionary irrational nature of fans and sports criticism and the basic fact that if you just scapegoat people instead of actually identifying and fixing problems then nothing gets helped. And if you do that enough like Steinbrenner did (and like so many Yankee fans want to see a return to) you just end up with a toxic, mess of an organization culture where everyone's just trying to watch their own back.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Popete posted:

A manager trying to motivate his team down 3-0 by showing them footage of another infamous time they blew it and it wasn't the Chicago Cubs?

Again, this is the sort of silly nonsense I hate. No one on the Yankees in 2022 was on the Yankees in 2004. Players don't own that kind of poo poo the way fans do. Its just fan poo poo talking nonsense. Clearly Boone's not gonna get an inspirational movie made about his efforts to rally the troops but there's also no reason to think it secretly pissed them all off because a bunch of poo poo talking fans found it ironic.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

FlamingLiberal posted:

For whatever issues Boone has as a manager, I don't think they are huge deals. The bigger problem for me is that a team like this is just not going to perform well in the playoffs. You need more guys that get on base at a higher clip and aren't all TTO guys. That falls on Cashman.

There was a concentrated effort to do that this season. Cashman's player acquisitions were clearly driven around improved defense and more movement on base. But even guys who were very much doing that kind of stuff during the regular season like Torres and Cabrera simply didn't hit or get on base in the playoffs. And I mean... that happens. Its tough rear end pitchers during a short series of games.

So like obviously you KEEP moving in that direction for 2023. Bader, Cabrera, LeMahieu, and Torres seem like an important part of that and Peraza hopefully can be as well. Maybe Benintendi and Rizzo as well or new additions. But I don't think this team is nearly as TTO as it has been or as people are saying. But if you're not hitting at all and striking out a ton it sure looks like that.

Popete posted:

I don't think it mattered either way it's just a funny thing to do from an outside perspective.

Edit: Also the whole idea with the Red Sox coming back was the idea they were the under dogs, a franchise who hadn't won in forever once again getting beaten up by the Yankees. The Yankees are never the underdog team that can say "why not us?" even when down 3-0.

That's the narrative. But Boone was clearly saying "we can win this, its been done before." Its not about how you or I view the Yankees. Its about convincing them to keep fighting.

Again, I'm not patting Boone on the back for his motivational powers. But like... what was he supposed to say? "gently caress it, we're the Yankees, everyone hates us, lets just crawl into the gutter and die so they can lol and make 9/11 jokes."

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 24, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Michael Kay is basically mcmagic.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I my favorite thing about Kay is he can not accept the idea that players on rival teams are friendly with each other. It pisses him off so much when a Yankee and a Red Soxk are laughing together.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

mcmagic posted:

Actually he's you. He does nothing but defend the Yankees' every move. It's just blatantly obvious to everyone now that they need to blow it up.

A gross misrepresentation as usual from you. I don’t defend every move the Yankees make. I just react to the over the top hate and behavior of fans like you.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

i will cry if Judge walks and while I may be fooling myself as a homer and I don't discount that he could leave I really do think it makes all the sense in the world from both sides for him to stay. And none of the mcmagic level misinformation can convince me otherwise. They offered him a big deal in April that would have killed any of the "they won't spend" arguments. They gambled he couldn't get more (and many of the posters here mocked him for thinking he could). He went and had a historic season and wrote himself into Yankee history books. Now the Yankees can't let him walk. Even if you believe some conspiracy theory that the first deal was all a bluff to say "we tried" and let him walk, he called their bluff and now you gotta pay.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MrMidnight posted:

I know the first things players say after winning the World Series is "Boy we sure got lucky!"

I mean they should. Luck certainly has more to do with it than God who is often the first guy they thank.

Nodoze posted:

Hicks is another one that has to go too, but he is Cashmans guy. The trade they got him in was a good trade, but then Cashman got greedy and gave him a big extension thinking he was going to keep being a 125 OPS+ bat playing CF and well..

I think Hicks is done. I think Cashman stuck with him a season more than most would have. But from the second they picked up two OFers at the deadline I think Cashman had finally accepted Hicks wasn't gonna put it together. Its tough because obviously injuries denied him a clean chance for a long time but as I said, I think Cashman was stubborn and stuck with it longer than most and while I can understand why I also think its fair to call Hicks and that stubborness as a Cashman mistake.

I think people are completely rewriting the IKF/Donaldson acquisitions. There was never any kind of secret belief that they were gonna have breakout offensive years. The Yankees' stated message was always that they "had enough power" and were trying to improve their defense and base running. And I think by numbers and the eye test they did both of those things and IKF and Donaldson were part of that. Now do you want guys who aren't defensive/baserunning liabilities but also aren't liabilities at the plate? Of course. But Donaldson and IKF were always obviously stop gaps. IKF in particular was clearly an active choice not to sign one of the bigger SS to a multi year deal to keep the space open for Cabrera/Peraza/Volte.

Is Cashman wrong for preserving a spot for some highly touted prospects or for not going all in on this season? I don't know. That feels simplistic to me. The team won 99 games and no matter what cherry picking and framing people do to say that the games they won were less than the games they lost that doesn't make sense to me. I think the moves they made largely worked out to improve the team. That doesn't mean they can't be improved more. It doesn't mean they shouldn't have been improved more. But I think there's a lot of dishonest hyperbole going around.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Nodoze posted:

IKF in a vacuum was fine. They believe in the two kids they have and they didn't want to commit long term at the position and block them, that's good. Sticking with him all year ehhh maybe not. Benching and unbenching him in the playoffs, and you can blame that on Boone I guess, was real stupid.

Donaldson was dumb and always dumb IMO, and circles back to not getting Arenado when they could have. Now they are stuck paying 42 million for Donaldson to suck rear end, missed out on Arenado who is a difference maker, and still don't have a 3rd baseman.
They've still got DJ LeMahieu who probably should just stop being the super sub especially with Cabrera on the roster now. Obviously his health is a concern and something has to be done with Donaldson either way. I think its safe to say that the Yankees got what they wanted from him defensively but hoped he wouldn't be so bad offensively. He really fell off a cliff this season. I don't think he showed enough to want to just say "give him a chance to rebound". He is afterall 36 (and an rear end in a top hat). Maybe you could put him on the bench as backup for DJLM and see how it goes. And to some extent I'd prefer just a stable 3B, moving past Donaldson, and finding space for DJLM at 2B/1B. But there's a lot of moving parts. I wouldn't be surprised if Donaldson gets shopped though as Cashman loves trying to find hidden gems.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rizzo did say he wanted to stay in NY. Of course why wouldn’t you? Obviously he wants to get one last big contract and keeping the Yankees in that makes sense. I basically expected her opt out as long as he had a relatively healthy and productive season. And he can sell is weird consistency with the shift ban helping him. So yeah. He wants to get paid. We’ll see.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They probably would have gotten killed if they lost him so what can you do? And it theoretically provides some buffer space if they don’t resign DeGrom. At least they’ll be able to point to Diaz and say “we’re willing to spend”. I dunno.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Most bigots are dumb and form their opinions from some misinformation they don’t have the critical thinking skills to see the flaws in and then stubbornly double down when’s one one says something instead of considering they might have been wrong. We should stop giving a pass to the ones who are just really good at something.

Basically what separates “ignorant” from “bigot” is what you choose to do after someone points it out. These guys like Kyrie and Stro are making an informed choice.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Is there actually a practical difference between a nft ticket and a non nft ticket? Like don’t you have to print out the latter? Can you not print the former? I recognize nfts are scams and worthless but so is memorabilia kinda. It seems about the same level as a commemorative plate. But I’m old so I have a specious grasp on this.

Or were you hoping the Astros would send you an old school ticket stub?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

camoseven posted:

I'm not sure what you're asking exactly but I haven't been to a pro sporting event that still accepts paper tickets in like... a couple years at this point

That’s what I meant. If the Astros offer you a commemorative old school ticket… and they don’t make them anymore… then what’s the difference if it’s a nft? It’s fair to just think it’s not worth paying for or to have preferred the team send you one of those old paper tickets that they just fabricate as memorabilia. But either way it’s just some memorabilia being made to be sold. So i guess the difference between a nft and not nft is whether there’s a physical item sent to you?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Marklar posted:

No that I understand. But why would they let him in? I guess that is rhetorical.

I assume that’s like a decision of the city of Houston? Whoever organized the parade? I guess that could be the organization and they just got permits? But I think it’s usually a city thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Is the QO $20m now? Wow.

Yeah, take that, Joc. Get paid. Maybe Eovaldi too?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pungry posted:

I know that the Silver Sluggers go to "outfield" rather than specific LF, RF, or CF, but it is very weird seeing Julio in left field and Aaron Judge in center field for this.

Aaron Judge actually did play the majority of his games in CF this season.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh hey there’s like 50 new posts. I wonder if something happened.

Oh.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If Judge signs elsewhere it will simply be a three part harmony of “lol Judge is a loser”, “lol Team X signed a terrible deal”, and “lol the Yankees didn’t spend”. It’s predictable and boring and pathetic. Everyone’s a loser.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah I can’t imagine them playing games or seeing a way to spin losing Judge. They played hardball with him last spring and this is the cost. Losing him now would be the sort of poo poo fans talk about for generations.

But who knows? Just gotta wait and see.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rizzo’s ok? He’s incredibly consistent and he should get a boost from the shift ban but he’s also got back issues and is on the wrong side of 30. So I dunno. Probably depends on what he gets especially in years. He’s definitely looking for one big lazy deal.

One Maryland voter keeping Julio from going unanimous and one Ohio voter keeping it from an Atlanta double award. A proud tradition of writers just being jerks for no reason.

I don’t think Puig is a bad dude for it or anything but drat that’s a lot of bets. You ok, man?

Edit: I did not mean to type “lazy deal”. I don’t know what my phone even autocorrected and what I originally intended but it wasn’t that. I don’t know what that even means.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 15, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Intruder posted:

I wonder if three years gets it done? That's about the most I'd offer tbh

Or maybe someone talks him into a one year deal with player options so he can try to boost his value with the shift outlawed

I would think three years is the minimum of what he wants. He’s turning down $19m in the qo so I can’t see him wanting a 1 year deal at less with a bunch of options and benchmarks. That sucks and seems like an insult. But of course it all depends on what people are willing to offer. If there’s no one offering a 3/4 year deal at $50/60m or whatever then he might have to take a lovely deal like that. But I’d think he wants security.

fast cars loose anus posted:

If you're doing it literally every day? yes, I think that is a lot

even if its just sitting there taking prop bets on fanduel or something if someone I knew was averaging double digits a day I'd be concerned for them, whether it affected their finances or not

Even assuming he can afford it it still seems like addictive/destructive behavior. Once you’re making an insane number of prop bets or gambling on any sport on I worry it’s a problem. Like any vice it’s probably fine in moderation and gets progressively more concerning as it gets worse.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 15, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gobias Ind. posted:

Ben Nicholson-Smith is a Jays writer/reporter. Not sure where Maryland is coming from.

I was honestly just making a dumb assumption/joke.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I thought they were always cheap?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Crazy Ted posted:

That contract is, per season, almost identical to what he was making, so........?

Yeah, that's seems like a good deal. Rizzo got an extra year and a slight pay bump. He either gets a third year or a buyout. He probably could have tried to get more elsewhere. I imagine some team would have given him 3 years guaranteed. But I guess he wanted to get a deal done? Or the market is gonna be soft.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Intruder posted:

I feel like Rizzo signing is a good sign for Yankees fans that Judge is coming back. If he were just signing for money I feel like he could have done better, seems like he and Judge may have been talking about their plans

Unless he just Loves The Pinstripes

All the noise and extra stuff we talk about is probably all secondary. He’s probably not gonna sign because of his buddy any more than because of being named captain or fans being jerks. It all probably factors into Judges mindset but ultimately it’s a question of whether the Yankees are gonna cheap out on him. As long as they’re in the ballpark of what he wants and is being offered I think it will be worked out.

Rizzos signing I guess indicates they’re not gonna be cheap although obviously there’s a world between Rizzos contract and Judges. And it at least defuses some of the noise that all the players hate the fans or whatever. I dunno. Judge isn’t saying anything and Yankees aren’t saying much except that they’re talking. But I think that’s a good sign. Yankees aren’t trying to spin or leak stuff or hedge expectations. So I think they think it’s gonna get done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Do we know if the Yankees are going to spend to actually add guys beyond their FA core of Rizzo, Judge, etc? Because one of the Cespedes Family BBQ guys made the point on their podcast today, which I agree with, that the 2022 team as constructed was not good enough to win a title, so they should be adding beyond that. But I don't know if they are going to shell out for a Correa or Bogaerts when they have Volpe coming up soon and they are going to have to give Judge half a billion

They’ve made it very clear they’re going with Cabrera/Peraza/Volpe in the IF. With Rizzo resigned I would be shocked if they add anyone else. The only question was if they’re try and unload Donaldson but they seem to be indicating they rather just squeeze whatever he has left out instead of paying to get rid of him.

They should pick up LFer but I don’t see any clear game changers and they probably don’t want to lock up things with Stanton. If they lose Judge then all bets are off.

They can obviously add a starter or two. That’s where I’d guess their focus is beyond Judge.

Edit: There’s an outside chance they could trade Gleyber to try and upgrade somehow? But I don’t think so. That just feels like baseless sports radio nonsense to me. I don’t think he’s untouchable or anything but I don’t see the scenario where it makes the Yankees better.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 15, 2022