Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
For the love of god please let a contender (not based in LA or NY) grab Ohtani before he wastes his entire career in Anaheim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Penisaurus Sex posted:

He's among the least hateable Astros from the 2017 team.

:wtc:

Bregman holds the Most Hatable title for sure, but uhhhh Correa has to be #2 almost by default. Those two were, and still are to an extent, the most vocal deniers of the entire scheme.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

STAC Goat posted:

Bregman at least had the good sense to shut up after they got caught and just did the lovely press conference. He didn’t run around being an rear end in a top hat about it on his own like Correa. At least from what I remember.

That’s Correa imo. An rear end in a top hat who never knows when to shut up.

Bregman has strong “rural hick who acts tough in high school and goes on to A&M/LSU but shies from actual fights” energy, but that’s just the kind of particular vibe that I personally cannot stand. Correa seems very vanilla “big ego star athlete” coupled with a chip on his shoulder from getting caught cheating.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Actually mcmagic is right, Ohtani should be sitting at like 95%. I blame all you NL cowards.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

LobsterMobster posted:

congrats on the regular season world championship, dodgers

oh my

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Gerblederp posted:

Man I wonder why nobody around here can stand the Yankees

ANTI-YANKEE BIAS!!!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
oh my god mcmagic shut the gently caress up

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

maffew buildings posted:

Make all candidates take the Voight-Kampff test only it's just their reaction to the Bautista bat flip for unwritten rules brain

“Describe, in single words, only the good things that come into your mind about rocking the baby.”

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Intruder posted:

"What goes through your mind when you see this?"

https://i.imgur.com/hue7PAU.mp4

Perfection

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
You gotta fire Boone at the very least

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’m not trolling, I genuinely believe Boone should be fired.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Player morale and bullpen usage are definitely the two most visible impacts a manager can have, though I also buy the stat that gets repeated about managers only having a 2-4 game impact in the regular season. Obviously they’re a bigger force one way or another in the postseason because of the two reasons I first mentioned.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
This is great

https://twitter.com/nut_history/status/1584683567535517697?s=46&t=Sf7HHJghTK8ezzJyhdcbCQ

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Why would Judge win if Ohtani is the clear frontrunner? :hmmyes:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Sab0921 posted:

Quarter Zip Pullover, Champs hat, wife will get a Yuli WS Champ jersey, I'll get some dress socks if I can find them.

I'm also going to do my damndest to get a print of that Chas Picture and get it signed.

I'm going to Philly for Army-Navy in a few weeks and I gotta be DECKED OUT

Which quarter zip did you get? I’ve worn the same Majestic brand 1/4 Hoodie Pullover since 2016/2017 and it’s getting super worn out. It’s not one of the weird thin golf-style ones, it’s a nice waffle-knit that iirc was their batting practice/bench hoodie because it’s got the stitched line you can cut to make it a short sleeve.

I’d kill for a 1:1 replacement, but I can’t find one and I hate the new thin pullovers.

ed: This one. Only difference is the player number patch on the right breast.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 7, 2022

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I got an email from MLB this weekend saying something like “Claim your Commemorative World Series Ticket!”, which I was excited about since Minute Maid doesn’t do paper tickets anymore. The excitement lasted about ten seconds before I opened the email and realized it was some stupid loving NFT thing MLB partnered with.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Didn’t realize wanting a physical ticket as a souvenir would be such a hot take.

STAC Goat posted:

Is there actually a practical difference between a nft ticket and a non nft ticket? Like don’t you have to print out the latter? Can you not print the former? I recognize nfts are scams and worthless but so is memorabilia kinda. It seems about the same level as a commemorative plate. But I’m old so I have a specious grasp on this.

Or were you hoping the Astros would send you an old school ticket stub?

I have a bunch of framed postseason tickets from prior games I’ve attended, including 2017 :yikes:, and I just thought it would be cool to add this year’s ticket to it. :shrug:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

bawfuls posted:

I don’t think it’s a hot take at all. I wish I could have traditional printed tickets to save for significant games. It is very dumb that teams haven’t realized this, I’m sure some people would pony up for a commemorative physical ticket for big games after the fact if teams offered them.

For a while Minute Maid entry would scan your app and still print out a lovely little generic stub with your seat info, which was an alright compromise and I have a few of those saved for special games. Now it’s 100% digital, which I get, but still kinda sucks.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’d say Yuli retires or takes a cheap one year deal somewhere. I doubt he plays for Houston next season unless he’s dirt cheap and reasonably healthy.

If they pick up Mancini’s option you’ve already got a potential replacement.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Intruder posted:

Urquidy is likely to be an odd man out long relief guy in the future. Especially if Whitely ever figures it out

There’s basically zero chance of Whitley ever figuring things out in a meaningful way. He’ll be another long relief guy at best.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Dusty extension is official:

https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/1590402134213742593?s=46&t=GPtA5hgTsp4BxY5HkIxGSQ

Crane’s still giving standard noncommittal answers on Click and JV, but mentioned Montero specifically as someone to try and re-sign.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Lol that winning the World Series only gets you a one-year contract extension from Jim Crane.

There’s been rumors that Dusty, Click, and Crane all don’t really get along with each other. If they hadn’t won the WS Crane probably wouldn’t even be talking to either of them about coming back.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Intruder posted:

Oh well, just glad Odo is gone

RIP Rene Auberjonois

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
JV’s going to wear either pinstripes or a much brighter blue next season. This FO doesn’t shell out for big pitching deals and they aren’t going to start with him. They don’t even shell out in general unless they’re a core position player, and even then they still undervalue the contracts to be fairly team-friendly (Yordan, Altuve and Bregman at the moment of signing).

I’m very confident in what’ll happen:
- They’ll make a cursory offer to JV that they know he won’t accept and he’ll walk
- They’ll shrug and say “well we have such a starter surplus anyway that we don’t need him”
- They’ll let Yuli walk unless he signs a dirt cheap one-year (And honestly? I’d prefer he walk at this point. He’s a great 1B but he’s offensively inconsistent and he’s nearing retirement anyway.)
- They won’t make any big swing signings to fill potential gaps at 1B or LF (I’m assuming they’ll also let Brantley walk unless, like Yuli, he signs a cheap team-friendly short term contract and Yordan remains the everyday LF)
- Maybe they show interest in Josh Bell or Jose Abreu, but I can’t imagine they’ll have competitive offers and the more likely case is an attempt at a Yainer Diaz promotion. Maybe they offer Mancini a cheap deal if he remains unsigned heading into Spring Training.
- I could see them finally inking a Tucker extension so they can say “hey look, we did something”

The Astros are not an offseason free agent player, they’ve always been more likely to make big moves during the season.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
They were willing to spend big on Correa because they knew he’d never accept that contract. Correa was super clear on the number of years he was looking for and the Astros FO knew that and took it into consideration with that offer.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Inspector_666 posted:

He had a big swoon in the summer, but overall he still looks pretty legit. I'm mad that the Astros just have a seemingly endless pool of these dudes.

That era of endless rookie luck is probably nearing its end because the farm has been emptied in the last few years and the FO has lost a lot of the good scouting and dev folks.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

zoux posted:

Me when ppl ask how can I possibly like the two time world champions:

https://mobile.twitter.com/overtime/status/1591101398204104704

Crane is the MLB, and they would never sanction cutting off someone's head because to tomorrow it might be their head

Mack is still a giant piece of poo poo and his continued unearned lionization is just another annoying element of this 2017-2022+ Astros era

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Jim Crane having a normal one today

https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1591172166028066827?s=46&t=anRUN6vdgSppkuM6E1NrlA

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I love Baggie but uhhhh what the christ

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

mcmagic posted:

I love the non yankee fans in here who think the yankee roster is great and they should keep doing what they are doing. You are either trolling or dumb.

I mean you got to the loving ALCS, man. Clearly the roster is doing something right.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Crane has always been a giant piece of poo poo, look up his hiring practices pre buying the Astros.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
mcmagic thinks Rizzo should play for the Yankees out of the kindness of his heart and not demand any money whatsoever

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Johnny Bravo posted:

he's gotta have an Astros hat on his plaque now, right? 2x Cy Young, 2x World Series

I still think he goes in with a blank hat unless Crane does the right thing and gives him the three year contract he’s looking for and retires an Astro.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
A combo 1B/OF with past success that could probably be had for cheap?

:10bux: says Crane grabs him before thanksgiving and then calls it a day on offseason spending.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Ohtani is the MVP of my heart

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Laaaaaame

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Those Twins uniforms are a little generic but not bad. I think I’m the only person who actually liked the gold trim on the navy though.

It really makes me wish the Astros would finally refresh their uniforms, even in some little way. I’m so tired of the basic-rear end orange and white looks and the generic block font. Next season marks ten years with that design too.

I’d kill for a modern take on the 65-75 Shooting Star logo. I’d even accept the 87-93 minimalist with rainbow sleeves look.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I am begging you, shut the gently caress up Sab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
There’s only four or five genuinely bad piece of poo poo posters here and I’m pretty sure two of them were banned since I never see them post anymore.

I don’t think any of the other regulars in these threads genuinely thinks fans of other teams are subhuman. The animosity between the general fanbases of the Astros, Yankees, and Dodgers in particular has been driven to such an extreme in the last few years that it does have a tendency to bleed into what would otherwise be considered fairly standard sports poo poo-talking. I’d wager that most of us here have been fans of our respective teams since childhood, and when something has that kind of emotional investment it can be super easy to take the aforementioned poo poo-talking very personally and/or feel the urge to defend your enjoyment of one of these teams in an unhealthy way.

If you feel like poo poo posting in these threads because of other posters, take a break and wait them out. It ain’t worth your mental health to try and engage with people like that and they’ll lose interest and gently caress off eventually. And if you’re one of those few posters who continually stir up poo poo to try and get a rise out of people, maybe gently caress off forever.