Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Forgot this was in the new CBA:

quote:

Draft lottery odds for No. 1 pick

1. Nationals (55-107), 16.5 pct
2. A’s (60-102), 16.5
3. Pirates (62-100), 16.5
4. Reds (62-100), 13.25
5. Royals (65-97), 10.0
6. Tigers (66-96), 7.50
7. Rangers (68-94), 5.50
8. Rockies (68-94), 3.90
9. Marlins (69-93), 2.70
10. Angels (73-89), 1.80
11. D-backs (74-88), 1.40
12. Cubs (74-88), 1.10
13. Twins (78-84), 0.90
14. Red Sox (78-84), 0.76
15. White Sox (81-81), 0.62
16. Giants (81-81), 0.48
17. Orioles (83-79), 0.36
18. Brewers (86-76), 0.23

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

I hope his inevitable TJ season doesn’t count in this.
It is backloaded for some reason with like $20m per the last three seasons...

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

That's pretty normal. Yeah they're buying out his rookie and arb years but they still usually scale them up in a similar manner.

Also this isn't the nfl so unless there are team options anywhere in there (and I cannot imagine any player would agree to this kind of contract if there were) all those years are fully guaranteed.
Team option for a seventh year at the same rate of $22m as the last two years vs a $5m buyout.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Dansby actually makes a lot of sense for the Yankees doesn't he?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Bad sign cause this quote is exclusively invoked by men who are doing something extremely stupid
https://twitter.com/wearyhobo/status/1585020340362682385

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

From Mark Bowman's weekly newsletter today, did not remember ever hearing this:

quote:

The Braves unsuccessfully tried to trade Marcell Ozuna to the Nationals in exchange for left-handed pitcher Patrick Corbin before the Trade Deadline.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Yay for Max and Dansby, wish Harris had been a finalist

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Ronald Acuña reportedly working out with, but not playing for, a Venezuelan winter team.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Barely, but moreso with this addition, which sounded like they'd rejected earlier:
https://twitter.com/NathalieMLB/status/1588628408111869952

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1590497339906883589
Iirc he had a $6.5m buyout on his option ($12m if picked up) so, Atlanta is paying $3.5m for Kolby Allard, do I have that right or am I misunderstanding?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Popete posted:

FTX the crypto currency exchange that was sponsoring Umpires this year is about to shut down.

you hate to see it
So that and Terra, which was all over the Nats stadium at least, are dead. I guess crypto.com is still a thing but I wanna say they bought the arena name for like 20 years which lol.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

In a tradition between the past and current World Series winners I hadn't heard of until now (apparently coined by the Sox in '14), Atlanta bought pizza for the Astros front office yesterday.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Yay
https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/1591615338269089793

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Liberty Media announced plans to split the Braves and the related real estate business off into its own publicly traded stock. I don't really know how stocks work (dumb, no money) so I'll just c/p from the article:

quote:

The first and most obvious change, one that requires no speculation, is that the Braves are currently represented by a “tracking stock,” which is an oddball financial instrument that theoretically moves up and down in value based on the financial performance of the entity it represents. But, this move will essentially see current holders of said tracking stock redeem it for a “real” stock, i.e., one that confers ownership of the Atlanta Braves and their business assets.

The second is that the Braves will, for some definition of the word, become “independent.” No one has announced any plans as to exactly how the split-off will work, in terms of how much ownership of the newly-formed, now-”independent” company Liberty Media could retain. For example, as part of the split-off, Liberty Media could retain any amount of stock, ranging from zero percent to nearly 100 percent. John Malone and friends could retain just over half the stock and remain majority owners of “Atlanta Braves Holdings inc,” or not.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Popete posted:

Again I'd have to dive into and play the game more myself to really figure out how the season mode works but I am envisioning a low committal thing. Maybe play 1 or 2 matches per week, could put it to poll and figure out what works best for people but I'd prefer it be something that wouldn't take more than say an hour a week to play.

And yes the game is very arcadey, games can be shortened to just 3 innings as well. There is a free demo if anyone wants to check it out first.
Been meaning to try an SMB so downloading on Switch now, would be down for something like this.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The "absurdly preliminary" '23 ZiPS projections just leaving current FAs out of it entirely, have Atlanta leading MLB at 96 wins somehow?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I started playing an elimination tournament, bumping Ego up every time I won a game and settled on 40 as the point where I'm losing close games, but it's because of mistakes I know are my fault.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

zoux posted:

Crime Dog's gonna get in.

McGriff to the Braves was like the first Big Trade that I was aware of.
The press box catching fire that day was so loving rad

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/JomboyMedia/status/1597416020553105408

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I can't believe it: a racist guy is coming to Truist Park
https://twitter.com/TruistPark/status/1598391736211894272

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

bawfuls posted:

No, Lux to SS is considered a less than ideal solution. It'd be like Seager's defense without as reliable a bat.
How did his glove turn out in general cause I just remember him looking completely lost in center in that '20 NLCS?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Was that after the fire?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Tatsuta Age posted:

jocs got a ring for each hand since then I don't think he gives a poo poo
Does he play fantasy football though

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

The fact that the Yankees are the only team I've seen linked to this trade rumor means it either gets done for a bag of balls or doesn't happen.
Atlanta was linked in the first reports about him wanting a trade and now that Dansby's gone he makes even more sense as a bat to add, if they even have the disposable pieces to get it done.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Happy Hannukah to Max Fried... happy half a Hannukah to Paul Goldschmidt? I don't remember who else?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

We were somewhere around Mesa, on the edge of the Under Armor Performance Center, when the Nugenix began to take hold.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

What's Odorizzi's role, bullpen inning eater/spot start when you're out of other options?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

MrMidnight posted:

Klubah! You suck Klubah!!
Pahk the cah on Klubah's ahm.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I'm hoping that whatever else an organization could overlook, he's just too obviously impossible to deal with to bother taking the chance, as in the above.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Huh MLB just removed John Coppolella from the permanently ineligible list.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

On the other hand, he is likely to spend a similar amount of time injured, so...

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Marlins traded SS Miguel Rojas (who had been the team captain for several years, for some reason) to the Dodgers for Jacob Amaya
I wonder if, probably easier before analytics, anyone would designate a guy a captain just for the purpose of inflating his trade value to GMs who would buy that poo poo.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

zoux posted:

THe only think I know is that they use FIP instead of ERA but I don't think either Gleyber or Reyolds had too many IP
There's a big difference in the defensive component too iirc

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

All those arbitration-avoiding agreements announced today made me realize how much turnover there is in Atlanta's bullpen...

E: meaning to ask is "Lutege" pronounced like "protege" or otherwise?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Yeah Atlanta ($13.5m) is going to arbitration with Max Fried ($15m) and I feel like not pissing off the NLCY-2 in his contract year is probably worth $1.5 million.

Do the numbers at the conclusion of arbitration count towards the tax or is it some related formula the way I think long-term contracts use AAV rather than the actual pay for a given year?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

zoux posted:

Dana Brown sounds like the best pick to me, I would also like for the Astros to draft Spencer Strider.
It was such a great pick too cause he'd had his college career hindered by corona, an injury and mostly worked out of the bullpen but Atlanta saw the potential anyway.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

How much do GMs and the guys with VP titles like that get paid?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Atlanta signs Kevin Pillar to a minor league deal. His previous interactions with the Braves include calling Jason Motte the bad f-word after getting quick-pitched in 2017 and taking a pitch to the face in 2021.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Isn't he pretty good at a premium position already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

more falafel please posted:

it's all about the positions he doesn't play
lmao