Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Watch them put in just Schilling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

He's had a solid but not world-beating year there, .841 OPS and his team is currently down 2-3 in the Korean Series

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Red posted:

What if I walk up to the ticket office at the stadium 15 minutes before the first pitch and buy a seat and say I have no smartphone?
They’ll give you a printed out pdf ticket on an 8x11 sheet of office paper

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The print out has the same QR code you scan on your phone, they don’t care

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Didn’t realize wanting a physical ticket as a souvenir would be such a hot take.
I don’t think it’s a hot take at all. I wish I could have traditional printed tickets to save for significant games. It is very dumb that teams haven’t realized this, I’m sure some people would pony up for a commemorative physical ticket for big games after the fact if teams offered them.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

The most annoying thing about digital tickets is that at MLB games every time I get up to grab concessions or take a piss I have to fumble with my phone and pull up the MLB app to show the the usher who insists on seeing my ticket again despite this being like the tenth time we've done this song and dance. It also means I have to worry about my phone battery life because if my old piece of poo poo phone dies then I suddenly have no ticket.

A number of years ago I remember you'd show your ticket on the phone once at the door, and the person would then print out a physical ticket from a little mobile printer they had on their belt which was much nicer and meant having the ticket on my phone was just a backup if I lost the physical one.
This is definitely a pet peeve of mine. Ushers should never give a poo poo about tickets unless someone needs help finding their seat or there’s a dispute/confusion about which person a particular seat belongs to.

Seems to vary by stadium, must be an owner thing.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

A simple and easy way to make a trivial amount of money that’s mostly about fan service and not revenue growth?? Not interested!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

https://twitter.com/ThelmaD852/status/1590297343358021633

2nd lowest TV ratings for a World Series ever, behind only the pandemic season in 2020.
wtf is this twitter account?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Max Muncy redemption tour

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

Props to California for rejecting a proposition to allow sports betting, if only so you don't have to watch the same DraftKing commercial 700 times every game.
this was the entire reason I voted against those props

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

speaking of post-election baseball things :lol:

https://twitter.com/LennyDykstra/status/1590407856435576832

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MrMidnight posted:

Tons of pitchers about to get paid. JV, Kershaw, Rondon, Degrom....that's just the tip of the iceberg
Kersh is going to take another 1 year deal with the Dodgers for like $20M

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MrMidnight posted:

^^^ Good speech giving is easily worth a couple WAR
this is clearly what the Dodgers have been missing recently

The only thing, and I really do mean the ONLY thing, I care about this winter wrt the Dodgers is that they retain Kershaw. Ensuring that he never plays for another team is my highest fan priority at this point. Second is Kershaw reaching 3000 strikeouts, and third is a championship.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 10, 2022

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Congrats to Joc he should probably accept it

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

If Martin Perez and Tyler Anderson are getting qualifying offers then Holy crap, Rodon is going to get $40 million a year
the QO is only 1 year though

Anderson might be worth $20M for 1 year while Rodon could be worth ~$20M per year for several years

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

inshallah

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

eagerly await Crane going Full Nutting

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

lmao owned

Thankfully for the Dodgers it's Friedman so he'll cobble together a group of castoffs to replace Treinen/Kimbrel/etc who'll all be better and cheaper, then at the deadline they'll trade some subway coupons for a guy with a 5 ERA and inexplicably unlock him into a relief ace.
next year: 121 wins before they get swept out of the first round on the back of an 0-for-30 with RISP

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1591130749176287233

offseason complete, see ya in March

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Astros should name Bagwell and Ryan co-GMs for life imo

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic is incapable of internalizing the concept of postseason chaos. It’s all completely deterministic in his yankeebrain. If you lose it’s cause you’re a Loser who can’t Win, no other outcome was possible. Admitting otherwise would imply that the Great Yankees of his youth also got a bit lucky sometimes, instead of all being supermen with special Yankee Winner Mojo.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

according to Bob, he's cooked

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1592310627246440449

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Puig's agent says he is not officially banned from the MLB. Just de facto.

I don't want to deride a man's mental health struggles but "federal interviews triggered my ADHD leading me to lie to authorities" may be a bit of hard sell to a judge.

Oh, if the agent is right that would mean ol Bob's tweet was incorrect again
No, but “didn’t have counsel nor an interpreter present” might carry some weight. Or at least it ought to.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I was very surprised to see the Rockies added Riley Pint to their 40 man. He had retired a few years ago because he just seemed to not have it, but he recently un-retired and had put up very average numbers in AA.
this sounds like a very Rockies move, he must have gone to church with Monfort or something

Poque posted:

The Angels are BACK
don’t worry they undo all his progress by telling him not to throw his best off speed pitch or something

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Idk if this is just wild speculation or real, but drat might as well get Correa too and force Dodgers fans to root for all the guys we loathe

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1592640187129298944?s=46&t=CdijuUBoYJQO5dJ5MvLFxA

JV is the last of the big four that hasn’t been a Dodger yet so might as well complete the set I guess? (Kersh/Greinke/Scherzer/Verlander)

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 15, 2022

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Why do the dodgers who have unlimited money care about picks lol. Signing Verlander instead of deGrom because of that is very stupid.
the Dodgers are good at getting value from picks and deGrom has an even worse injury track record than Kershaw and Verlander at this point

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Chad makes an important point here

https://twitter.com/chadmoriyama/status/1592649612904783872?s=46&t=CdijuUBoYJQO5dJ5MvLFxA

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dodgers should sign deGrom and Verlander, then don’t let either of them or Kershaw pitch until August.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

Kershaw-Verlander would be the ultimate 1-2 punch of <2.00 ERA regular seasons that gently caress each other out of the Cy by splitting the vote, and then put LA in an 0-2 hole at the start of every postseason series they make it to.
when you add Dustin May and Tony Gonsolin to this it gets really funny, just imagine the tv graphic that’s like
Dodgers 2023 starter ERA: 2.05
“Big 4” postseason ERA: 5.00

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

No because I have always been keenly aware that he’s only 3 months younger than Kershaw

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I know the Dodgers and Astros have slightly different perspectives than most teams when constructing their rosters but I feel like if you make roster decisions on the fear that a player will choke in the World Series you’re a bit ahead of yourself.
yeah this is 100% not something the Dodgers FO gives a poo poo about or believes in at all

this stuff is pure fan/talk radio fodder

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

Carlos Rodon had a higher Fangraphs WAR than Justin Verlander and Sandy Alcantara. Just a random fact I found interesting.
basing pitcher WAR on FIP is outdated and dumb now

If you want a pitcher metric stripped of batted ball luck, then it starts with xERA

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Here’s a crude WAR-like metric based on xERA. Assume replacement level xERA is about 5.00 (where you set this isn’t particularly important for ranking the pitchers at the top, it just changes the scaling. Edit: actually it does matter since it changes the breakpoint in terms of how many innings it takes to make up for a higher xERA. Alcantara stays on top as long as replacement level xERA is at least 4.50. Below that Nola passes him, but you’d have to drop replacement level all the way down to 3.90 before Rodon passes Sandy, and I think we can safely say that’s not realistic in 2022)

“xWAR” = (5.00 - xERA) * IP

Alcantara comes out on top because his volume was enough to overcome the slightly worse xERA

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 17, 2022

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That just means you’re old OP

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The unanimous vote leapfrogs Verlander (5.21) ahead of Scherzer (4.61) and Kershaw (4.58) in career Cy Young award shares. He also passes Maddux (4.92) to take third all time on that list, behind Johnson (6.50) and Clemens (7.66). Previous to this year he was 8th all time behind Pedro and Carleton, just ahead of Seaver.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kirios posted:

Strong contender for worst trade of all time - yeesh.
not even close

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Pedro Martinez for Delino Deshields (sorry bawfuls)
exactly

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Julio Urias finishing above Nola is some voting
It's not hard to figure out, a lot of voters agree with this post:

The Pussy Boss posted:

I think Alcantara and Verlander deserved to win, because IMO the most important stats for Cy Young are runs allowed and IP. Still, Rodon was so fuckin good this year though.

Urias: 2.16 ERA, 175 IP
Nola: 3.25 ERA, 205 IP

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If Hal calls up Cohen and says “hey you’re not gonna gently caress me over on Judge right? Like just lay off we don’t need to get into a bidding war here” that would be collusion.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

GalacticAcid posted:

Re pitching awards literally the only stats I would take into account are innings pitched, ERA, and maybe strikeouts on the margin. xERA etc don’t tell you who had the best season.
I don't have any particular bone to pick about this year's awards voting, but I will defend xERA.

Among publicly available metrics, xERA is the best at isolating the individual contributions of a pitcher.

Where ERA gives pitchers full credit or blame for all batted ball events, and FIP gives them zero credit/blame (unless it goes over the fence), xERA gives them appropriate partial credit by parsing batted ball data.

If you give up a lot of line drives at 95+ exit velo, you're gonna give up a lot of runs. However the exact number of runs allowed is subject to noise out of the pitchers control (defensive positioning & skill, weird hops, etc). Over a long timeline, this noise evens out which is why ERA is still informative at the career level (with basic adjustments for run environment).

So I'd argue xERA does a better job of telling you which pitcher had the better season than ERA does, because it's method of stripping defense from the data is a lot more sophisticated and accurate than Errors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

He's an injury magnet and hosed up his shoulder a bunch.

Been a bunch of rumors that the Cubs are looking at him as an option for CF, as good a bounce back candidate as any I suppose.
between the shoulder and the broken leg at the start of '21, he's barely been 100% healthy at any point since 2019

he was a monster in the 2020 NLCS at least