Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Link to the Japanese wikipedia article for "Still, the Angels lost:"

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%81%AA%E3%81%8A%E3%82%A8

quote:

"" E " is an abbreviation for "The Angels lost the game," and is a kind of Internet slang unique to Japanese media .

Overview
Ichiro , who transferred to the Seattle Mariners in the off-season of 2000, showed great success, such as breaking the MLB season hitting record, but the Mariners had a dark period ( 2001-2012) while Ichiro belonged. Because I was greeted, there were many developments such as "Ichiro is active, but the team loses". For this reason, the Japanese media began reporting on Ichiro's success and saying, "In addition, the Mariners lost the game" (abbreviated as "Naoma").

Currently, although Shohei Otani , who belongs to the Los Angeles Angels , is showing an active performance in both pitching and batting, the team's results are not good, so it is reported that the Angels lost the game. In the case of Otani, since he is a two-way player of pitching and hitting, it is common to see a pattern in which he throws well as a pitcher, acquires the right to win the pitcher, and after he leaves, the following pitchers are driven in and Otani's victory disappears, and this is also " In addition, it is said to be e."

"Examples
An example where Otani played an active role but the team lost.

He showed 2 home runs and 3 RBIs in the match against the New York Yankees on June 29, 2021, but the team lost 5-11.
In the match against the Kansas City Royals on June 22, 2022, he played an active role in hitting 2 home runs, including tying 3 runs in the 9th inning, and hitting his own record of 8 RBIs, but the team was 11-12 after extra time. defeated. Among fans, it is regarded as a symbolic match of "Naoe".
He hit two home runs against the Oakland Athletics on July 4, 2022, and hit seven home runs for the entire team, but the team lost 7–8 .
In the game against Baltimore Orioles on July 2022, 7, he showed 3 hits including a home run, but the team was hit in the bottom of the 4-2 inning and suffered a come-from-behind goodbye loss."

I love how aware Japanese fans are about this meme. It also originated with Ichiro and the Mariners so ultimately, it's Seattle's fault per usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Bumping this thread for Mets posters so they know where to post going forward.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I feel like people are just laser focused on hating him and take any slight they perceive to the extreme.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Twins right there in the AL Central division race (if not leading it) by the time the deadline came around? Hindsight and all, but they would have been blasted if they traded away their best player.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah I'm sorry Paracaidas but I can only see your points as ones made with the power of hindsight. You cannot expect the Twins FO to think "Well we're winning but this is clearly unsustainable so let's dump Correa!".

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

ilmucche posted:

very fair point

truly the ferrari of mlb

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Mariners are officially the Astros little brother. We can gently caress with them all we want but we will mess you up if you gently caress with them.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Popete posted:

This is very cringey.

Are you going to tell me it's not on-brand?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

What grade do you even give the Dodgers season? F for not getting past the ALDS? A for the regular season?

What a very, very weird year they had.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm not sure how you watch this postseason and say it's a poo poo format.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

it's a poo poo format if the team you root for is really good.

Yeah it really screwed the Astros over.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Edit: Wrong thread

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

IIRC his range is the best in baseball and matches Correa in 2021. That makes up a ton over the "boneheaded" mistakes.

Edit: Best SS range.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I don't think any Astros fans are trolling here.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah Astros fans have been ripping into Yordan at home this post season for a mediocre performance.

Oh wait we're actually nuanced (Yes even the Trashtros fanbase understands this) enough to not boo someone for a sample size of four games. Only entitled manchildren do that.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Dude how many were you even alive for? How many do you remember?!

That 27 trash is why you're an awful fanbase that no one likes. There's a reason why you're the one team people would rather root for the cheating franchise over.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

molestrios posted:

Is this the thread where loser idiots like mcmagic say hot takes. Hello

Ey oo gabagool if the yanks has better players and a manager they'd maybe win

You're kinda being a dick but yeah Aaron Boone is a major, major problem with the Yankees. As an Astro fan I'm thrilled he'll be back but that's such a horrible idea I can't help but lol

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Just spent 250 on Astros gear, no regrets.

Fellow Astros fans, what memorabilia did you get?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I got the 3/4 sleeve shirt, white and orange polo, couple of hats and a gift box for my dad.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

Apparently both FOs agreed on a Willson for Urquidy deal with the Astros, but Astros ownership said no.

That would have been a horrible trade for the Astros and a brilliant one for the Cubs. Crick is lucky Crane overruled him.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Wait Boebert lost?!

gently caress yeah!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Jake Odorizzi....has value? bwoah?!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

He had a big swoon in the summer, but overall he still looks pretty legit. I'm mad that the Astros just have a seemingly endless pool of these dudes.

We're basically turning into the AL Cardinals and it kinda owns.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Best rookie season in Mariners history, very well earned.

Yeah, pretty sure Mariners are gonna take the Astros next year. Stacked roster for the next few years.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Strong contender for worst trade of all time - yeesh.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Why does it look like the Marlins M

Kirios fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 18, 2022

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Yeah this. I beg of you, make a new thread for the Astros cheating circlejerkery and shut up about it here.

It's always the same handful of posters too.

I've purposely stayed out of it as I'm sure people are sick of me talking about it. Hopefully the other guilty parties are self aware going forward.

Edit: Real talk, fellow Astros posters? We got our non trash can banging title, shut up about it.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

oh my god some of you can't help yourselves

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Red posted:

Totally get why Middleton would tap him for interim manager - no expectations, no hurt feelings.

Except...

Rob Thomson seems like a hell of a manger. Even in the World Series there was...nothing there that I could identify as being clearly his fault. He did a great job managing that team.

It's astounding he didn't get a chance until now.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Eh that's kind of revisionist history. There were people here calling for him to pull Wheeler immediately in that situation. Whether it should have been Alvarado or not...

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Bryce is getting TJ, out for the first half of 2023:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/11/bryce-harper-undergoes-tommy-john-surgery.html

It's not entirely surprising, but it means the 2023 Phillies will likely regress.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Okay I'm like 90% sure that pitcher is straight up dead.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah I don't see how you can see the Robbie Ray signing as anything but a failure so far. Hopefully he pitches better this year!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Very happy with the Abreu signing.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Getting Abreu means Yuli is gone, he ain’t coming back unless he works for free.

JV is also gone because Crane is completely opposed to the terms he’s looking for. I’d be happy to get Uncle Mike back, but that seems like a longshot now.

I'm honestly okay with that if they get an outfielder. JV is a GOAT for us but that contact will be hard to swallow. SP is easily our strength.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I mean sure we can sign Cueto to be our #6 starter I guess.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Imagine being a fan of a team that isn't willing to spend money to win.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I think the way those were handled is why he's stepping in more.

The problem is those have mostly worked out for the Astros.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It's baffling that as an Astro fan in Portland I get a much better (and cheaper!) watching experience than an Astro fan in Houston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

RIP to the greatest greaseball thrower in MLB history