Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Now that it's in the books, here's some final Ohtani numbers:

https://twitter.com/bmags94/status/1577799939601862656

I said he might be the best player in the world last offseason even with Mike Trout on his team but wasn't entirely convinced. Since he not only did it again but better, yeah I'm convinced now. Sucks he won't get an MVP for it this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

bees x1000 posted:

There's a lot of little and big things I don't like about the Angels, but the Nevin hire is breaking my brain. This is blatant punting and really hard to spin as anything other than wasting another year of Trout and Ohtani.

Hiring a lame duck guy does make some sense with ownership being in future limbo but I'd guess he has the locker room otherwise why not go with basically anyone else in house. Except Jeremy Reed, gently caress that guy

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

yep, i hate it.

it was Trout's 350th career home run too

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://twitter.com/JeffFletcherOCR/status/1577822149619744770

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Intruder posted:

Rizzo should opt out because the Yankees are going to be bad when Judge signs with the Angels

nobody will know who to vote for when Trout, Ohtani and Judge play on a team that's 30 something games below .500

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Joe Maddon has some more thoughts:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2022/10/06/joe-maddon-tom-verducci-book-excerpt

quote:

In 2022, though, Maddon never made it to the ballpark with his mohawk. Angels GM Perry Minasian arrived at Maddon’s front door and rang the bell. Maddon answered and invited him in. Minasian did not immediately notice the mohawk. If he did, he said nothing about it. He appeared uncomfortable.

Maddon took Minasian’s appearance on his doorstep as a bad sign for his coaches. They sat down in the living room. Minasian made a quick comment about Maddon getting “a haircut.” The words lacked the lilt of humor. Quickly it was apparent why. Minasian said he was “making a change” and removing him as manager. “I’ve got to do something, Joe,” Minasian told him.

LOL

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 7, 2022

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
:mets:

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Carlos Correa said he is opting out

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
welcome to the braves

CHOP!

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Ammat The Ankh posted:

every time I see a Dodgers season it's like “the team had three separate 28-game win streaks en route to a 137-25 season while the lineup did something that hasn't been done since ‘The Massacre Men’ of the 1886 Allentown Boatswains, as Los Angeles lost in the NLDS 3-1”

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://mobile.twitter.com/joonlee/status/1582389246509260803

me too shohei

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Red posted:

Really? Between Trout and Ohtani, a few average starters should be enough to get them close to a wild card. Ward and Fletcher are good, too.

the starters were fine this year, it was mostly the offensive production falling off a cliff coupled with above average bullpen meltdowns that tanked the season.

they were keeping pace with the Yankees for the first third and the last third of the year but that middle part when they went like 10-40 was historically bad and it wasn't because of the starting pitching, imo

rendon missed most of the year again, trout missed time on top of playing hurt for like a month, walsh struggled all year just to find out he had TOS, fletcher missed a lot of time as well

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
are we all glad jesse winker got hit in the butt yet

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Intruder posted:

he's going into his age 33 season and will be making $36 million, then for the following four years $38 million

I don't know if basesball truly has any unmoveable contracts but that one has to be close. No way in hell anyone is taking it on for one year of Ohtani even if you don't have to include any prospects

i think there's a real strong chance that any deal involving Rendon would have to include Ohtani and talent going back the other way just to eat the contract.

and somehow its still not as bad (yet) as if they had signed Strasburg instead like a lot of people wanted

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Popete posted:

I guess it's more what recent manager retired for the most part on their own after a long career and didn't actually try to make a comeback. Leyland is the most recent I can think of.

Scioscia?

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://twitter.com/theaceofspaeder/status/1583678273698963457

ryan spaeder is going through some things and is tired of baseball twitter making fun of him for being friends with curt schilling

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
David Ortiz missed a golden opportunity to hop on Facetime and hit Aaron Boone with a "DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA YANKEES LOSE"

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Is Boone successful at these things? I dunno. A lot of that comes down to stuff we flat out don't know like what the organization wants or how the lockerroom is. Is Severino talking to the media upset that Holmes wasn't used failure of 2? Maybe. I guess that depends on how it was resolved. Is it a failure of 3 that Boone didn't operate as the buffer for Sev's understandable frustrations? Is it a failure of 1 where the organization did think Holmes was their closer when its clear Boone didn't use him that way in the postseason? I don't know the answers to these question.

One thing I do think gets glossed over regarding the Severino comments is that he's likely got a bone to pick with the FO due to being placed on the 60 day himself. If they're saying Holmes couldn't go and Holmes is implying he could, I can understand why Severino would have some thoughts on the matter.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
who will the Yankees sign to replace him? I'm thinking maybe Michael Conforto

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
The Angels are going to win the world series as soon as Rendon is off the books

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://twitter.com/astros/status/1585658102728335360

I thought Juan Soto being a gold glove finalist was gonna be impossible to top but then I see that Martin Maldonado is a silver slugger finalist?????

What is going on here

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://twitter.com/PujolsFive/status/1585786912404828161

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1586844549015474177

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
welcome phillies fans

and now that the season is officially over, welcome home Albert Pujols. time to be an Angel for the next 10 years.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1589371130225184769

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

has an opt out, a full NTC and a 6th year option per Passan

e: meant to edit, not quote

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Ohtani should have been a Cy Young finalist and it's bullshit that he's not.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

I thought it was just that you can only get one QO in your career, not that you had to get it at a specific point.

Yeah, that's right. You can only get a QO once and you have to be on the team roster for the entire season to be eligible. Rizzo couldn't receive a QO last year because he went to New York via trade, for example.

the QO is also going to be around until the end of the current CBA at least because of MLB and the players association missing the deadline on their international draft deal a few months ago

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Intruder posted:

Oh god I just realized this is going to be the worst/funniest possible free agency period now that Elon has allowed people to purchase checkmarks

you mean to tell me that Carlos Correa didn't sign a 9 year deal with the Twins this morning??????

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Nodoze posted:

Verlander strikes me as one of those signings where if he goes somewhere else he'll be good still and everyone will go Cashman :argh: , but if he comes to NY he'll pitch like Clemens did that first year after he came over from Toronto

or the year after Clemens retired from the Astros

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
the Angels better fukkin do something good this winter and no I dont mean sign Aroldis Chapman

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

No see, you can't do that either. Just stand perfectly still at all times in silence.

thats boring as gently caress man

just like baseball now that i think about it hmm

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
it's pretty funny to fire your GM right after winning a world series but the Astros will probably be fine. he came over from TB to replace Luhnow and they didn't really miss a beat. how much of that is because James Click is a great GM or because the Houston Astros have built a strong baseball operation remains to be seen, I guess, but I lean towards Click benefiting from inheriting a really good core/structure and not Click building one

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 12, 2022

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Adley got robbed of a few more first place votes

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Gobias Ind. posted:

Ben Nicholson-Smith is a Jays writer/reporter. Not sure where Maryland is coming from.

Baltimore is in Maryland and it was one vote keeping it from being unanimous so it had to be the work of a homer jerk and not a writer with a valid reason in an entirely different market. In other words, Maryland had nothing to do with it other than pretenses

Julio should have won (and rightfully did!) but Adley had a much closer case than people are wanting to admit, imo

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 15, 2022

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Intruder posted:

The Angels are signing a guy who was bad/injured until the Dodgers fixed him

That's a bad plan

at least it's not andrew heaney

an entire rotation of LHP is quite a thing though

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

I think there are teams that could have kept that plate spinning but the Angels are not one of them.

i largely agree but the rotation did improve last year and they just hired the director of pitching at Driveline to be their assistant pitching coach so who knows.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Francona won the Central with a roster of rookies, that's pretty good

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Ya Hyde would have been my personal pick but I wasn't sure how much of that was warranted vs me just enjoying how promising the O's looked this year. Same with my Adley love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Intruder posted:

Do the Jays have a prospect ready to replace him or something?

ronald acuna jr.

Intruder posted:

Maybe this is a sign the Bichette for Acuna deal is happening then :v:

drat you!!!!!!!!!!!!