Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

LongTimeFirstTime posted:

So we've got Chris Martin, Carlos Santana, and Will Smith (x2) in the MLB.

Am I missing anyone?

He’s currently in Gwinnett, but Ian Anderson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Dinosaurs! posted:

Where are the Pirates? Thought they’d be top 3

The Pirates are actually still above .500 as a franchise, as a consequence of having been a perfectly respectable team for the majority of their existence. Then Bonds left.

They’ll probably drop below within the next few years though.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Ogmius815 posted:

Someone explain like I’m five what the Braves plan is for shortstop and why they didn’t sign anyone. I always assumed they’d resign Swanson.

Keep in mind that I hate the Braves and would love if the explanation made them seem bad.

The Braves only pay anyone if it’s either an under market extension or a one-year prove it deal, hth

Their plan is to swim in a money bin like Scrooge McDuck and rely on the fact that their current roster is probably good enough to make the postseason.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

elentar posted:

I’d probably let another couple years pass since a World Series title to start complaining too much about the Braves pinching pennies but that’s just me.

I thought the same thing. After the Braves won in 2021 I was convinced that nothing they could do for at least a decade would upset me. But they're trying really hard to do it. In that time they let Freeman walk over pennies, emptied out half the farm system to replace him with a worse player, emptied out the other half of the farm system to replace one of the other guys they traded, still don't have a full lineup, and still have Marcell Ozuna on the roster. But hey, they've achieved cost certainty in 2027 or whatever.

bravesword fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 23, 2022

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Mervis started the 2022 season in high-A. I'm not sure why everyone is expecting him to be the permanent starter at first in the majors in 2023.

I don’t have a horse in this race, but dude is 25. If not now, when? You gonna give him a two-year apprenticeship and ease him in to starting as a fresh-faced 27-year-old?

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Red posted:

That's stupid. I wonder why they love this stupid rule?

The players like it because it pretty much kills long games, meaning they’re guaranteed to get back to their house/hotel/plane on time. Managers and executives like it because it allows them to better control pitcher innings. Owners like it because it makes TV programming more stable.

I feel like the threat of extra innings does a lot of work keeping pitchers and managers honest, but who cares what I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Position players pitching is fun as like a twice a year novelty when the whole pitching staff is burned in an eighteen-inning game or something. It’s not fun as just a standard tactic teams break out every couple of weeks when the starter gets torched.

Honestly, if a team wants to stock their bullpen purely with max-effort one-inning guys, they should be forced to take the risk that occasionally they’re not going to have enough pitchers. That means extra innings, not letting teams easily cycle pitchers between the majors and triple-A, and cracking down on position players pitching except in the direst emergencies. Every rule sold as “protecting pitchers” is really just protecting this style of boring roster construction, and then they act surprised that the strikeout record gets broken every year.