Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Don't like this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

He's also going to get 15-20 million a year and the Jays are at 180 million already and have other needs.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya i wouldn't want to do that. We're already stuck with Kikuchi and Ryu. If they add a starter they're going to trade Kirk or Moreno for one

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya Ryu is out til the middle of next season at best. I was speaking more with Ryu about the money owed. Him and Kikuchi are eating up 30million and neither could be on the team next year, the Jays aren't going to be able to add that much more in terms of starting pitching payroll unless Rogers breaks the bank and slams through the CBT in 2024, when Bo/Vlad cost 40million+.

I think any payroll bump goes to the pen, it's pretty obvious that was the biggest issue that is easily fixed. The offense should be fine and Barger could be the solution at either second or the OF and a lefty bat. Trade a catcher for a cheap starter and I'd hazard you clear some payroll space by dumping Gurriel.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Quite the take comparing Correa to Chapman. I know people don't like him but uhhh they're not even in the same spectrum of rear end in a top hat.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

On one hand I feel like Ohtani gets less of a prospect package than Soto cause of his being a UFA in a year.

On the other hand you're getting a #1 starter AND someone who is immediately your best or second best hitter. So do you have to pay for both of those???

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Popete posted:

Who was the last old manager that just retired and stayed away? Jim Leyland?

Define old

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

I think this might depend on how you think of Cito Gaston.

Also Joe Torre

The answer is probably Bobby Cox but gently caress him

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Popete posted:

I guess it's more what recent manager retired for the most part on their own after a long career and didn't actually try to make a comeback. Leyland is the most recent I can think of.

Bobby Cox or Davey Johnson then

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/bigdumperPm/status/1190655173011505153

Congrats Mariners fans!!!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

They just don't want it enough. Gotta get guys that want it instead of guys that don't want it.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Its not like you can just get someone else to pay Donaldson. He's either on the team and the Yankees pay 100% of what's owed, or he's off the team and they pay 90-95% of what's owed.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Its like when Palmeiro won a GG while playing a dozen games at 1B or Aaron Judge winning this years MVP.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Also, how is Shohei a finalist for both DH and Utility???

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Sounds exactly like Montoyo who uhhh seeemed nice?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Tony Phillips posted:

Quick check and Howard wrecks Sosa for lower bWAR/HR

14.7 / 382

Adam Dunn at a nearly equal but ever so slightly better 17.9 / 462

Mark Reynolds: 6.8/298

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/hgomez27/status/1588899488403705863

Dude who has never finished ahead of the Yankees says what?

lmao you are so thin skinned

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Judge is the entire reason the Yankees even got to the playoffs lol

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Offseason and the Mariners are good and only have 2 or 3 real holes to fill.

What is this????

Misplaced hope!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Where are Stieb and Olerud

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

secular woods sex posted:

I love Cleveland’s FO, even if they are Management.

Did you forget about the Mickey Callaway stuff or???

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

secular woods sex posted:

I did :(

Back to the hate!

Well if it helps, the Mickey Callaway stuff infects at least 3!!! front offices currently (including the Jays front office who basically refused to address it)

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Has a GM ever been canned the offseason they won the World Series? I guess Dombrowski was fired the season after the Red Sox won it all.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Tatsuta Age posted:

so I guess it's just a way to get odorizzis money off next years books and save a couple million

wouldn't want him starting anyway, whatever

Ya this is the type of thing AA has done in the past. That 10 million is probably on this year's payroll and opens it up for next season.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

chilihead posted:

I'm assuming the big thing is where that money counts towards the luxury tax. This year, next year, on the rangers books? I thought maybe since Koby is a lefty first round pick by Atlanta this could be a redemption story but the guy has almost no chance to make the roster.

I believe for luxury tax purposes it counts for next season but likely counts for 2022 for Atlantas internal budget.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya I'm pretty sure the only GM I can find even close to doing that is Dombrowski getting canned the next summer and Pat Gillick giving the Jays a one year notice after 93.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ok so Morosi is spreading Bichette for Acuna rumours and then the Jays sign a SS and uhh I love you Bo but YES PLEASE!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I have no idea why they would! It would be really bad for them and really good for me!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Popete posted:

Also I'm pretty sure any Acuna trade would have to include Albies because he already is being robbed and you cannot take his best friend away.

I would not be upset by that!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Red posted:

Wait is this a rumor or just a stats comparison/fantasy trade idea?

Morosi did a tv hit and said "i'm not saying its gonna happen but it could happen"

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I hate this front office again.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1592909180351954944

Lmao

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

When you have a chance to get a reliever coming off a supreme outlier year you gotta do it

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Lol no

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Jays better be signing Nimmo or trading for Reynolds or something like that otherwise this is stupidly bad

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya but they turned 1 year of control into 9! Atkins does it again!!!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Its clearly to cut his 15 million off of the payroll. Otherwise you would just pay a reliever in FA.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Sometimes being cheap can work out!

I think the Mariners got the best side of this but it's not purely a dump for nothing and I like Swanson

Swanson was good last year but he's still a reliever and if he sucks next year they'll cut him loose. Its bad process on its face, but it really depends on what happens next.

The Jays are down to around 175 million after arbitration raises now, which leaves them 40 million or so to spend if the 215 million payroll number reporters have thrown around is accurate. Could get them Nimmo and a #4 starter.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/ShiDavidi/status/1592953081612087296

UHHHHH

I know that GM's spew bullshit always but lmao no they can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

lol they aren't signing Verlander

Also Ryu is dead and not pitching next year.