Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
For God’s sake…

https://twitter.com/slangsonsports/status/1578041977957933056?s=46&t=elM7kTu7qeHZfMAlV_n8rw

Horrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Stroman’s posts have always been of the fake-deep moron variety. He’s plainly stupid and for once that’s not my anti-Cub prejudice talking lol

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Pirate

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/tbtimes_rays/status/1590828443801128960?s=46&t=XlMpWzD4Wnacy1CXa-ljwA

Assuming he doesn’t fall of a cliff that’s a marked improvement on the current 1B situation

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Are people still under the impression the Archer trade was an unbearable disaster

Oh no we lost a DH barely clinging to a roster spot, a gif merchant who has thrown like 50 innings for the Rays, and Shane Baz’s perforated UCL

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Just note that you’ll have to watch it in the mirror since otherwise they run third-to-first and it will gently caress you up.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
:dadjoke:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I personally think McKenzie is very good. I doubt he ever improves on a 2.96 ERA but do think low-mid threes and 180+ innings is pretty feasible.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Wait, so Jackie's name is only attached to the AL award despite being a Dodger?

Why?

It’s both

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Single-season WAR is basically worthless as a metric. Rizzo had a wRC+ over 130, that’s 6th among all first basemen. No shot that’s only 2 and half wins above a replacement level player lol

And believe me I despise Rizzo

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I don’t get the obsession with unanimity. Every year people get mad about an award that goes to the player they want to win because one or two voters disagreed. I find it off-putting

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

camoseven posted:

Pirates didn't protect Malcom Nuñez which seems dangerous. People tell me first basemen are rarely taken in the rule 5, but if he gets taken I'm gonna be pissed at Cherington

I don’t actually expect Nuñez will wind up being a good player but it’s going to be really funny when Cherington’s Big Return for José Quintana is lost in the Rule 5 Draft while James Click is sitting on the bench available for hire.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
It’s hard to believe Littlefield is still working in baseball after that debacle.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Re pitching awards literally the only stats I would take into account are innings pitched, ERA, and maybe strikeouts on the margin. xERA etc don’t tell you who had the best season.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Judge was obviously MVP lol you guys are on crack

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The Astros are a useful instrument of suffering. I root for maximum misery league wide and they have provided that, so I am grateful to them.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
A little late but re The Athletic, the Pirates beat writer is complete dogshit. One of the dumbest people in sports media, it’s still a shock that they hired him. Just because of that I’ll never pay for it as long as Biertempfel remains on staff. That said I use my friend’s login credentials to read other stuff on there sometimes.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Rays officially released Brendan McKay earlier. I remember him getting a ton of hype for a few years until his arm exploded and he never really recovered.

He is from Western PA…Bucs need to scoop him up and take advantage of the #FromHere supercharge

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
That’s right

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Ji-Man Choi / Carlos Santana platoon :vince:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I know MLB mints money but even still I think buying out the RSNs would be an astronomical expense. In many cases the local sports teams are THE incentive to get cable…that’s just such a massive portion of overall entertainment spending tied up in the existing hodgepodge system, I can’t imagine MLB just waving a money wand to change it all.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I know a lot of people are indifferent to this kind of thing or just resigned to it but I really hate it. Yeah I’ll still keep watching that garbage but it just blows. The uniform should be off-limits to advertisers and that’s that.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Ads are ugly and annoying. “Hurr durr soccer does it” yea soccer is also two continuous 45-50 minute blocks of play while baseball has a million built-in stoppages ripe for commercial breaks. I can grudgingly see the case for making soccer players into bipedal billboards, I cannot for baseball.

“MLB‘s always had tons of ads get over it” okay but they didn’t have ads on uniforms, which is the present subject.

“There are bigger problems in the world” true and I’m not going to fix those either. However I can and will still complain.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I would vote for Jimmy Rollins because he was a cool player

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Ben Cherington, Travis Williams, and Bob Nutting really should be trundled into a mass grave.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Actually he’s a moron who has only compounded the owner’s shittiness. But I can see how casuals can be deluded into thinking otherwise

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
mine would be

Honus Wagner
Josh Gibson
Arky Vaughan
Bill Mazeroski
Roberto Clemente
Willie Stargell
Barry Bonds (retired winter of 1992-1993)
Jason Kendall
Brian Giles
Andrew McCutchen

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Kind of sad that they’d both be in easily if they had respected the integrity of the game.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I’ve said this before but I hope Schilling gets inducted posthumously very soon

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
If there’s one major difference in the game compared to ~20 years ago it’s got to be the transition to shorter SP outings and more aggressive bullpen usage. Not sure who I’d pick to illustrate that change. First instinct would probably be a lockdown closer but I don’t really think that does the trick

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Free agency news - Rodon to PIT. Judge to PIT.

Trade news - Lance Lynn to PIT, Sean Murphy to PIT.

Not much else to report, slow day otherwise

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I’m sort of surprised at the seeming consensus in here that Judge’s MVP award was somehow dependent on being a Yankee specifically or being on a winning team more generally. I would have voted for him without a second thought. He had the best season, and was the most valuable.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Hard to put into words how much I hate both the automated strike zone concept and any use of replay review in MLB

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Good summary of some quasi interesting rule 5-eligible players. It’s Pirates-focused but I think has relevance to other teams.

Who Might the Pirates Select in the Rule 5 Draft?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Hall of Fame debate ✅
Robo Umps advocacy ✅
Is It Weird to Wear Sports Jerseys? ✅

Let’s go! All of my least favorite discussions within 48 hours 😤

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
La historia me absolverá

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
My new posting style when Mohammed Bin Salman buys the Pirates from Nutting

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I don’t think the Padres offer rumor is accurate

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
That could be a consequence of the post’s Pirates focus since the author assumed the Bucs wouldn’t have much interest in middle infield types.

(Pure conjecture on my part though I really know nothing about the Yankees system.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Well $17.5 million is a lot of money so I don’t have to feel bad hoping Bellinger stays busted :pray: