Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/CespedesBBQ/status/1582403379409473536

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

For the love of god please let a contender (not based in LA or NY) grab Ohtani before he wastes his entire career in Anaheim.

Is Anaheim anywhere close to contending? I have no idea if their winning streak earlier this year was legit or just luck/schedule.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

mcmagic posted:

They aren't close at all.

Really? Between Trout and Ohtani, a few average starters should be enough to get them close to a wild card. Ward and Fletcher are good, too.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Does anyone have the .gif of the Upton safe call where he gives Utley 'the look'?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Phillies postseason has been about atonement

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Well Played Mauer posted:

Maybe their tactical decisions affect a 1-game swing, but culturally it has to have a larger impact. Everyone's worked a place where the management culture was dog poo poo. You can't tell me that the person responsible for maintaining cohesion and keeping people focused over what's basically a crunch schedule for 6-8 months has a minimal impact on performance.

If only we had a recent example of 2 managers overseeing the same team in a single season for refere-

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Player morale and bullpen usage are definitely the two most visible impacts a manager can have, though I also buy the stat that gets repeated about managers only having a 2-4 game impact in the regular season. Obviously they’re a bigger force one way or another in the postseason because of the two reasons I first mentioned.

Managers likely have a profound effect on pitching in terms of usage/preference.

Like, someone would have to do the data collection, but I bet different managers have different approaches that have a cumulative effect. Say Bob Melvin warms Hader in preparation for the 9th every game, as a habit, but uses him 1/4th the time, thinking warming Hader has no cost. Say Melvin gets fired and his replacement uses Hader the same amount but doesn't warm him unless it's a sure need. You could probably compare Hader's performance between managers to see if there's an effect for that. Ditto for trying to use Hader for 4, 5, or 6 outs on a regular basis instead of 3, or to see if different managers' reliance on right/righty and lefty/lefty matchups have a significant effect.

Rob Thomson plays a non-traditional lineup prioritizing those guys who walk/see a lot of pitches over the stereotypical leadoff hitter. Does it work? He's headed to the World Series, so ... yes? But Schwarber, his leadoff guy, also has a bunch of solo home runs. Thomson has stuck with that lineup all year, so there's no way to tell if Segura would have performed better as leadoff, for example - Segura didn't have a decent sample size for comparison.

There has to be significant effects from manager's actions, but no one's collecting the type of data to understand it (or trying to 'manufacture' data would be difficult), as far as I know. BBREF has the usual stuff which is likely only there because it's compiled for players (substitutions, IBBs, stealing, etc.) - and that has to be flawed, because every single steal isn't always the manager's call.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

Michael Kay is mcmagic.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I mean, that is kind of the Yankee solution to every problem

Then again, in previous years, they'd go for big veteran bats - however, the LeMahieu signing didn't seem to fit their MO, but he's been great for them. With IKF, well... were they hoping for a similar outcome?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

tadashi posted:

Just wait until you see how hard the Cubs won't spend money.
Because there are a ton of 50ish upside prospects who they might assigned directly to AA next year.
So there, baseball.

And play for any team who makes regular stops in Colorado but not Colorado itself because its where talent goes to die.

Should the Rockies just up and build a domed stadium?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

None of my Phillies jerseys fit (they're all too big) - what's the best place online to get a new one?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Some Numbers posted:

Wait, David Ortiz got shot?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_David_Ortiz

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Despite all the dingers Sammy hit, he has less bWar than Bobby Abreu which I find hilarious

Sosa has 609 HRs and 58.6 bWar. That has to be one of the lowest war per dinger

To be fair, Bobby Abreu was really, really good

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Nodoze posted:

I expected Neifi Perez to have a negative WAR and surprisingly he does not

Playing in Colorado made his offensive numbers not awful, and he was always slightly above average at defense, apparently. That's super confusing, because I remember him being terrible at every facet of baseball.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Those guys were crushing baseballs at 95-97mph exit velo with the normal bat and it really puts into perspective that Kyle Schwarber nuked one at 120 mph. :stare:

If he were alive 100 years ago, he'd be the farm kid that beat up the circus strongman

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/CodifyBaseball/status/1589076887787433985

If there's no punishment for leaning into a pitch, then players should be doing this poo poo constantly.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Nodoze posted:

It's a pretty whatever deal. Diaz is only a year removed from being a middle of the road reliver, and isn't really consistent year to year either. Paying a reliever like that, even a good one, is like paying a running back a huge contract. Yeah the Mets have the money but it's a bad allocation of resources

Like, if he's healthy for the entire contract and ends up being fine, the feeling at the end of the contract will be like they dodged a bullet.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Traxis posted:

Pretty good thread from Puig here:

https://twitter.com/YasielPuig/status/1587945632890691584

Looks like he has finally received help for his mental health issues, and is thriving in Korea.

Good for him.

I always liked Puig; he was treated really poorly even though it was really clear he just needed support. I'm glad his current team gets it, but even happier he understands what the issue was.

If he's doing well in KBO, there's probably no reason to come back to a league where the press is never going to forget the past.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/jaseidler/status/1589610910057787392

Is this about Stroman

Popete posted:

Well there are the multiple accusations of sexual harassment against Puig including one case settled out of court so I'm not gonna jump on the Puig redemption bandwagon just yet.

Oh, gently caress, I hadn't heard that. :(

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Popete posted:

I think it has something to do with Stroman continuing to go after a female reporter on Twitter who criticized his big brained totally not anti-semitic Tweet last week.

https://twitter.com/STR0/status/1589604181761200129

Whyyyyyy

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Kirios posted:

That would have been a horrible trade for the Astros and a brilliant one for the Cubs. Crick is lucky Crane overruled him.

Horrible? Willson's WAR for the past 2 years is 8. Urquidy is a little over 3.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

camoseven posted:

I'm not sure what you're asking exactly but I haven't been to a pro sporting event that still accepts paper tickets in like... a couple years at this point

What if I walk up to the ticket office at the stadium 15 minutes before the first pitch and buy a seat and say I have no smartphone?

Intruder posted:

Urquidy has three more years of team control, Willson would have been a two month rental

Im honestly a little surprised to see Dusty coming back. I thought for sure he'd retire

Ohhhh, huge difference, got it.

I get why Dusty would stay - great paycheck and he honestly doesn't have to do a ton of work.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

bawfuls posted:

They’ll give you a printed out pdf ticket on an 8x11 sheet of office paper

This is the most un-American thing ever

Red
Apr 15, 2003

bawfuls posted:

This is definitely a pet peeve of mine. Ushers should never give a poo poo about tickets unless someone needs help finding their seat or there’s a dispute/confusion about which person a particular seat belongs to.

Seems to vary by stadium, must be an owner thing.

I honestly feel like the 'Ticket?' thing is a prompt for a tip in some cases, and if you don't tip, you get 'Ticket?' until you give them one. They definitely don't give a poo poo if you're in the nosebleeds, but they do the seat wipedown and gestures if you're near the field.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Popete posted:

Wait, people tip ushers?

I've gone to games with people who have season tickets behind home plate, and they do because they know the usher. They also tip the concession folks extra to make regular return trips.

I've never tipped, but I've also never paid more than... $130-ish per seat?

Edit: That's not true, I have tipped for amazing seats that were gifted.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Some Numbers posted:

I beg to differ, it really sucked

Why would you take this bait

Red
Apr 15, 2003

TIL this exchange exists

https://twitter.com/Giancarlo818/status/268864757921099776

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Slimy Hog posted:

Isn't it amazing?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/jonweisman/status/1590446201299533825

[img - Moneyball meme]

Edit: Just checked Richie Sexson and oof

Red
Apr 15, 2003

zoux posted:

It means the new market inefficiency is old short DHs

The smallest DH I can think of is Edgar Martinez, who was 6 feet tall. Molitor was 6' too.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Popete posted:

FTX the crypto currency exchange that was sponsoring Umpires this year is about to shut down.

you hate to see it

For the longest time I was confused about what those logos were - I assumed it was some technology for replay.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I mean, they just won a WS, but it feels like it's hard to cheer for these people

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Popete posted:

The Astros FO is far worse than any player cheating scandal. It seems like a pretty toxic culture.

Remember Crane's disastrous first press conference after the cheating scandal broke? It's... bad

Red
Apr 15, 2003

zoux posted:

I don't cheer for the loving gm. I cheer for 450 foot back breaking homers that clear various national monuments.

I love the Phillies despite the fact that half the players are apparently Q-anon chuds. But that's the team I grew up with. I'm with them even if Middleton turned them into the '22 Reds. I'm sure there's a point where I throw all my Phillies stuff away, but thankfully that thing hasn't happened.

I don't know how some Rays fans felt when some of their players threw a shitfit about wearing a Pride Night patch.

It must suck to be a Nats fan right now, but I feel like a lot of their fans are casual anyhow.

I think a lot of Cubs fans hate the owners, but it's not become dire, and it's not much different than the team was pre-2016 championship.

Anyway. You take the team as a whole, and at some point, something becomes lovely enough where maybe you move on. If the FO ends up destroying the Astros in a few years through incompetence, then is that enough after the cheating thing, or do you just shrug and keep wearing the hat every day?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

zoux posted:

Y'all are gonna be back to booing Bryce Harper for going 0-13 in July.

Yes, but I'll be wearing my Phillies hat when I do so

quote:

It's also ignoring that *something happened* between Taubman and today that might mean the front office composition has changed, isn't it.

Like seriously trying to pretend that the 2019 astros FO is identical to the 2022 astros FO after everything that happened. Come the gently caress on.

Didn't it take forever to actually fire Taubman

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Ok so Morosi is spreading Bichette for Acuna rumours and then the Jays sign a SS and uhh I love you Bo but YES PLEASE!

Wait is this a rumor or just a stats comparison/fantasy trade idea?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'll defend mcmagic a little bit and say it does kinda suck the Yankees get rolled by the Astros every single time while NL East teams manage to compete and sometimes best the Astros

I guess I should put my money on the Astros beating the Mets next year for some easy money

Red
Apr 15, 2003

How likely is Triston McKenzie to improve upon 2022? He's almost never mentioned (because Bieber), but I wonder if people think his '22 is flukey.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Sydin posted:

Oh hey weird, we spoke his name and then this just dropped:

https://twitter.com/PJ_Mooney/status/1591810648261918722

Only Kyle Farnsworth is 'The Professor', what is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I think the only people who called Kyle Farnsworth The Professor were people who read The Dugout.

So you agree!