Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

one thing i think the cubs should try to do this offseason is acquire really good baseball players, that would be cool.

also sign willson you cheap bastards!

in all seriousness, i am surprised at how much i got into this hopeless season, partly because i am old and boring now and partly because tickets were really cheap on the secondary market once school started again, but the little post-all star game surge was a lot of fun and there are some really fun young players on this team and they may be closer than we think. i also think that it made me on board with Ross, say what you will about the Cubs but they were basically a AAA team most of the season and were busting their asses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

I assume that players like Brenden Davis and Pete Crow-Armstrong will probably be starting for the Cubs by midseason at the latest

Davis probably, although he was injured almost all season and so will probably start in AAA. PCA is still in Single A, so I'd be shocked if he makes it. The guys most likely to come up are Matt Mervis, a left-handed 1B who destroyed AA/AAA pitching all year and I think will have a shot since the Cubs have a gaping hole at 1B (RIP Frank). Alexander Canario might also get a shot next year. The interesting thing to be will seeing what the rotation looks like. The only givens next year are Stroman and Steele. Who knows what is going on with Kyle Hendricks who has not been very good for the past couple of years, but looks much better as 4/5 guy than as a 1/2, but if the Cubs move him I will be crushed. Weneski looked really good in 6 starts and will probably get a shot, but who knows how he'll hold up. Ideally they spend money on an actual starter instead of relying on reclamation guys/AAAA guys, like Adrian Sampson has been fine for the 2022 Cubs but I don't know if I need him making 15 starts if the team is actually trying to do anything.

The only definite starters in the field are Seiya and Nico. Probably Madrigal too, although with all of the talk about the Cubs going after a stud shortstop, it's hard to see where he plays since he can only play second. I'm guessing Wisdom sticks around at least as a bench guy. I'm guessing Happ will also start on the team and then go through the Trade Deadline Ovation Hell again, but he's a good player and his trade value is probably not going to be higher now. They will also need to bring in a catcher since their only internal option is constantly in traction and I will be annoyed if they roll with a 45 year old Gomes/PJ Higgins catcher rotation, that is not serious. Morel is definitely starting as a utility guy or center fielder until Davis comes up.

Two seasons of this poo poo is enough. The Cubs have a lot of holes to fill and it's time for them to shell out, if not for superstars, at least for some credible major league guys. We're still a couple years away from PCA/Alcantara and the big time 'spects to come up assuming they don't get injured or plateau.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sydin posted:

Also the Cubs for the first time in like a loving decade and a half have shitloads of upper-minors pitching depth both for the pen and the rotation and they also drafted roughly a quintillion pitchers in the draft this year so it's entirely possible they trade some of their arms for an actual bonafide ace or AS-caliber bat.

it is funny that they are also eager to get rid of the two literal all-star bats in their lineup.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

for the cubsposters, assuming the ricketts family actually ponies up as all the rumors say, which shortstop would you want?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Looking at a list of free agents, there are pretty slim pickings in the 1B and 3B positions, where the Cubs need the most help. Arenado isn't going to opt out of his contract, but it seems likely Rizzo will. Yankees might slap a QO on him in response.

jesus christ that list of non-Willson catchers.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

royals shitcanned mike matheny.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Poque posted:

Turner if you get him to play some CF. Correa (I know) if you can get him to play some 3B

Honestly idk what to do with this FA class though. Middle infield isn't our big need and the SP class that is likely to opt out (aka very few of them) loving sucks

Rodon would be cool but there's no way that the Chicago Cubs Big Money Free Agent version of Carlos Rodon does not get instantly put on the Mark Prior Towel Drill program. Cubs signing quintana as a FA would be a certified "big old lmao" from me.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

Cubs should first, above all else, give Wilson Contreras lots of money.

I agree because he is by far the best catcher the Cubs could acquire at a position where it is very difficult to find that kind of offensive production and it would be incredibly funny for him to end up a cub after making like 15 different tearful goodbye statements during this season.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Ok, fine. I will read the joe maddon book when it comes out.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i don't want to be rude but if a team i root for lost like the jays did today i would become a batman villain.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The cardinals will sign a guy out of indy ball named like "spunk" jarfis who will hit .283/.367/.469.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

SI has an excerpt of the Joe Maddon book that I will definitely get from the library and read so I can post about it about the Mohawk Incident and how Old Man Joe has had enough of those POINTY HEADS in the front office.
https://www.si.com/mlb/2022/10/06/joe-maddon-tom-verducci-book-excerpt

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

THROW ME A FASTBALL BRO. YOU COWARD STRIKING ME OUT WITH CURVEBALLS. THROW A FASTBALL.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It's just a really funny thing to yell at a pitcher.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

They should just be the barves instead of the chop they can make barving noises.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Ammat The Ankh posted:

every time I see a Dodgers season it's like “the team had three separate 28-game win streaks en route to a 137-25 season while the lineup did something that hasn't been done since ‘The Massacre Men’ of the 1886 Allentown Boatswains, as Los Angeles lost in the NLDS 3-1”

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Ammat The Ankh posted:

This might be the Dodger-est season of them all.

we didn't get a postseason kershaw meltdown though

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it's a poo poo format if the team you root for is really good.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Waiting in my library copy of Book of Joe.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/CST_soxvan/status/1583535729707483136?s=20&t=c3V1F_HcZLqf4lvab4zgHw

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

As a disinterested party who gets Chicago sports news i say do it, as a bit.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Marquee still isn't available on YouTube TV :mad:

It is available on something called "fubo."

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

welcome to the world famous New York Yankees.

Their season might be over but guess who doesn't know that, millions of Europeans wearing yankee hats where every day is a world series.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

There is no such thing as building a world series roster, there is building a playoff roster and then hoping for the best, the playoffs are completely random.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mcmagic posted:

So the reason the Yankees keep losing to the same teams in the playoffs the same way is just pure luck? That reeks of bullshit.

Yes

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Maybe you'll get em next year!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The only factor that is more important than luck in the playoffs is Rousing Rain Delay Speeches.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/SFGiants/status/1585331122652659712?s=20&t=u7UmPYmidN1NvSEtMco7iA

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

tony come home

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

blah blah blah

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it's hot stove season let's talk about the fukkin Cubs

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I heard the Cubs are signing 2001Barry bonds except he's on more roids.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

WHERE IS SAMMY?????????????

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Apparently both FOs agreed on a Willson for Urquidy deal with the Astros, but Astros ownership said no.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

If Willie signs with the Cardinals, Hoyer should be arrested.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

He’s gonna look awesome in a Cardinals jersey :)

mods??????????????????????

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i am pretty sure that willson on the astros would have led to the most insane posting humanly possible in SAS and 80% of it would be my fault.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I remain baffled why the Cubs' FO never considered extending Willie and seemed to want him gone for years. It's incredibly hard to find a catcher that can hit even a little!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Lol I don't trust a single twitter account right now. Head on a swivel for Hot Stove Season, buddies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Forrest on Fire posted:

They need the role filled now that Heyward's gone

Heyward is not even old, he was washed at like age 27.