Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You gotta fire Boone at the very least

Cashman for not signing Harper for whatever fuckin reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
McMagic is right and the correct analogy for this Yankees team is the Harden Rockets.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Johnny Bravo posted:

https://twitter.com/astros/status/1585658102728335360

I thought Juan Soto being a gold glove finalist was gonna be impossible to top but then I see that Martin Maldonado is a silver slugger finalist?????

What is going on here

Altuve and Yordan should be locks - the others eh...Maldy, just wtf

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Yankeesposters vs Astrosposters slapfights are the worst loving posts in these threads and that's including idiots getting mad at what some team's social media guy posted

All posts are good and should be cherished. Elon has shown us how precarious our posting can be.

We should treasure them all. Even and especially those about the 2017 Astros.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/PurpleAndGold/status/1589263846010912768?t=1AWymV9C65gRe8muYLTdnA&s=19

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Kirios posted:

Just spent 250 on Astros gear, no regrets.

Fellow Astros fans, what memorabilia did you get?

Quarter Zip Pullover, Champs hat, wife will get a Yuli WS Champ jersey, I'll get some dress socks if I can find them.

I'm also going to do my damndest to get a print of that Chas Picture and get it signed.

I'm going to Philly for Army-Navy in a few weeks and I gotta be DECKED OUT

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

The most important quote from this article - the Astros had a trade for Wilson Contreras agreed upon and Dusty nixed it.

quote:

The Astros and Chicago Cubs were in agreement on a trade to send star catcher Willson Contreras to the Astros for starter Jose Urquidy, four sources familiar with the deal told ESPN. The straight-up trade was agreed upon, pending owner approval. That approval never came.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34957984/2022-world-series-how-dusty-baker-astros-beat-phillies

Edit: JFC - I'm very glad this wrapped up in 6.

quote:

"Me, Yuli and Altuve all would've been out of the lineup tomorrow," Bregman said to Brantley after the game.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 7, 2022

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

LongTimeFirstTime posted:

Nice!

Nothing yet, but I will probably get some shirts and a hat tomorrow. In 2017 I went to Academy in person. What are you guys using as an online option?

fanatics

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

LongTimeFirstTime posted:

Was browsing there, thanks.

Yeah. Thanks, guys.

I wish they had a blue shirt with a little orange on it (kinda like the blue jerseys with rainbow stripes under the arms that they just won it all in last night).

https://www.fanatics.com/mlb/housto...RID:i-r0c2:po-2

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Which quarter zip did you get? I’ve worn the same Majestic brand 1/4 Hoodie Pullover since 2016/2017 and it’s getting super worn out. It’s not one of the weird thin golf-style ones, it’s a nice waffle-knit that iirc was their batting practice/bench hoodie because it’s got the stitched line you can cut to make it a short sleeve.

I’d kill for a 1:1 replacement, but I can’t find one and I hate the new thin pullovers.

I have a Vineyard Vines 2017 Champs Pullover but it looks like they don't have it this year. Peter Millar has a bunch too.

I got this one. https://www.fanatics.com/mlb/housto...AVE:i-r0c2:po-2

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 7, 2022

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

They charged the guy with AGGRAVATED ASSAULT WITH A DEADLY WEAPON

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

lobster shirt posted:

he grew up in houston so presumably is an astros fan

He is very much not. He's just an opportunist that shows up to the championship games of any Texas team decked out in their gear.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Hey - y'all remember when the Astros won the world series?

That ruled.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Sydin posted:

No they wanted to trade Contreras pretty badly, but the consensus is that the asking price was way too high and when it came down to the final hour the only team that was seriously still interested was the Mets, who after getting absolutely fleeced by the Cubs for Javy last year were not willing to trade any of their actually good prospects so the Cubs walked.

They came to an agreement to trade him to Houston for Urquiddy. Dusty nixed the trade.

I would have liked to see it from a purely salt mining perspective from this thread.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

i am pretty sure that willson on the astros would have led to the most insane posting humanly possible in SAS and 80% of it would be my fault.

This is what I needed.

Though Rizzo on the Yankees did not result in anything, very disappointing

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Astros should re-sign JV and then sign Kershaw, each to 3 year deals imo. Kershaw prob wants to pitch closer to home anyway.

I think Verlander and Upton like Houston - so hopefully they choose to stay. They were gushing about the city and fans on WS post game show and I think they live here in the offseason already - so maybe they like it here and just want to stay.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 10, 2022

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

JV’s going to wear either pinstripes or a much brighter blue next season. This FO doesn’t shell out for big pitching deals and they aren’t going to start with him. They don’t even shell out in general unless they’re a core position player, and even then they still undervalue the contracts to be fairly team-friendly (Yordan, Altuve and Bregman at the moment of signing).

I’m very confident in what’ll happen:
- They’ll make a cursory offer to JV that they know he won’t accept and he’ll walk
- They’ll shrug and say “well we have such a starter surplus anyway that we don’t need him”
- They’ll let Yuli walk unless he signs a dirt cheap one-year (And honestly? I’d prefer he walk at this point. He’s a great 1B but he’s offensively inconsistent and he’s nearing retirement anyway.)
- They won’t make any big swing signings to fill potential gaps at 1B or LF (I’m assuming they’ll also let Brantley walk unless, like Yuli, he signs a cheap team-friendly short term contract and Yordan remains the everyday LF)
- Maybe they show interest in Josh Bell or Jose Abreu, but I can’t imagine they’ll have competitive offers and the more likely case is an attempt at a Yainer Diaz promotion. Maybe they offer Mancini a cheap deal if he remains unsigned heading into Spring Training.
- I could see them finally inking a Tucker extension so they can say “hey look, we did something”

The Astros are not an offseason free agent player, they’ve always been more likely to make big moves during the season.

The Astros shell out for big money short term deals which is exactly what Verlander will get - 3/90 or something.

They don't do long term deals like Kershaw or Harper got - but that's not an issue here.

Sign JV, sign Vasquez, sign Brantley, Yuli retires, sign Rizzo to be 1B.

Lineup: Altuve, Bregman, Yordan, Tucker, Brantley, Rizzo, Pena, Vasquez, Chaz
SP: JV, Framber, Javier, McCullers, Urquiddy/Brown/Garcia

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

zoux posted:

Also they knew about Jeremy Pena and we didn't.

Pena killed it in the postseason, but was an average hitter during the season - his OPS+ was 101. Correa was 140.

We love our World Series MVP but he isn't close to what Correa is.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

MrMidnight posted:

Too much Astros talk and this is coming from a huge homer. Hopefully the offseason isn't like last year where a bunch of guys weren't signed until spring training.

Go Astros 2017 and 2022 World Series Champs.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

Too much Astros hype and not enough talk about the Mariners!!!

Post your favorite Mariners memories. Here is mine.

https://twitter.com/ApolloHOU/status/1580307291907059713?t=1MdbTwtGD10IwK9TaaBvXA&s=19

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Jose Altuve is a silver slugger!

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

i think of him more as an aluminum slugger

Idgi - is this a short joke?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

no it's the other joke

Got it. That took me a little bit since trash cans aren't aluminum anymore.

Anyway - Jose had .921 OPS, 160 OPS+ and just won his 6th silver slugger award. This is what Jose did today too!

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/1590876872820547585?t=4hSJJmRPF16a3QDdK4CUlw&s=19

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 11, 2022

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Maybe there could be a Houston Astros fans offseason thread

All baseball threads are Astros threads when America's Team is the reigning world series champions.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Intruder posted:

:getin:

We'd never boo you in Houston, Aaron

Well not in an Astros uni anyway :v:

Altuve started the playoffs 0-25, a fan ran on the field to give him a hug and tell him that he loved him and wanted a picture and Altuve batted over .300 after that.

Come to Houston - you'll be loved.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

McMagic crying forever about Cashman who is still there after 30 years.

Astros......firing their world series winning GM

https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/1591123704725266432

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

lobster shirt posted:

lol who the gently caress is going to want this job if winning a world series gets you fired.

Jeff Lunhow - COME BACK JEFF

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

zoux posted:

People say a lot of poo poo. Stearns is Luhnow's protege and Crane can throw insane money at him. Or maybe he names Dusty GM and I put my head through a wall

Honestly, Click couldn't assemble a team to go undefeated in the postseason and well that's unacceptable.

Click built the greatest postseason bullpen of all time - Rays mentality all the way, Crane doesn't want that I guess.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Intruder posted:

Why would a hotshot GM want to take a job where success isn't a guarantee of security? What's Ed Wade doing these days

What about one who has been cast off from MLB who built a juggernaut team over the course of a decade?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Popete posted:

The Astros FO is far worse than any player cheating scandal. It seems like a pretty toxic culture.

You out there rooting for the Ricketts?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Red posted:

Didn't it take forever to actually fire Taubman

It took less than a week

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Popete posted:

When did I say Astros fans should feel bad about liking their team? You can still cheer for your team well recognizing lovely things. gently caress Tom Ricketts I wish he would sell the team but I'm not gonna stop being a Cubs fan.

Taubman and the entire Osuna hiring was gross and I remember reading at the time a number of stories that did not paint the Astros FO in a good light. The discussion at the top of this page was about the optics of the pseudo firing of a GM who just won the team an untainted World Series.

You recall trading for Aroldis Chapman as the final piece to deliver the Cubs a World Series right?

Baseball orgs are filled with bad people who do bad things - except Jose who is perfect and spending his week with cancer patients who love him deeply

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Intruder posted:

Personally I place the blame for all this posting on the front offices for not signing anyone or doing anything exciting

Come on do something you jerks

3/90 for Verlander. Utilize that $$$ saved on Click

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Poque posted:

Where the moves at

All the GMs got fired OP

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

So Kershaw is going to get re-signed for less $20MM which feels like a loving steal for a guy who pitched 120 innings last year with a 184 ERA+ and a WHIP less than 1.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This is a weird tweet but...

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1591443638810464257?t=Kfa5sJPe1sBDraYJqFBSAg&s=19

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Just a picture of my brand new Astros World Series Champion trash can.

Bringing this to opening day

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 12, 2022

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

The real MVP crime is Altuve getting 5th instead of 4th (and maybe 3rd since he is an IF and Yordan is mostly a DH)

Jose Ramirez is my new MLB nemesis #1

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Jose Altuve is a saint - name the league after him imo.

https://twitter.com/BenDuBose/status/1593643557092466688?t=ICXNMNaKlNuW2Cx1XH7TSA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Naturally Peter Gammons is now in on the rewriting of history in Houston. Five years later “yeah, they are very remorseful. And innocent.”

The truth is sometimes a difficult pill to swallow - I'm happy to help you work through it.