Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Team goes from 77 wins to 101. The GM sucks and is bad at his job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The Angels have been doing that by wasting Trout and Ohtani tho

Nobody made Trout resign with the Angels. He has only himself to blame.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

lol Kay ripped into his own team today.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I love the “if George was alive!” Takes. George would be in his 90s and he was totally mentally out of it by 2009.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

If Roid Rage Barry Bonds could hit there, anyone can!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/martinonyc/status/1585286837089837057?s=20&t=BaIeKmR4HxzYZCRyym9_pA

Yankees toxic fan culture!

quote:

Will the Yankees’ external toxicity problem cost them Aaron Judge, other free agents?
More than one Yankee player has told his agent this week that playing at the Stadium last weekend was an unusually brutal experience
Andy MartinoMLB Insider
10/26/2022 10:54am

"I’m an Astro, bro," Reggie Jackson, a special advisor to Houston owner Jim Crane, told Mark Berman of Fox 26 last week at Minute Maid Park. "The pinstripes get heavy sometimes."

It is not, therefore, a new emotion to be exhausted by the unrealistic expectations and anger that follows when those expectations aren’t met. Even Mr. October felt the weight of it. But even before the Astros swept the Yankees in the ALCS last weekend, the clubhouse and front office had quietly noticed that the external energy surrounding the team felt as angry as it has been in ages.

If you’re Aaron Judge, booed in the playoffs days after setting an American League home run record, why wouldn’t you prefer sunny Los Angeles or familiar San Francisco?

And if you’re a free agent talking to your friends already on the team, why would you subject yourself to the experiences they describe?

You won’t find any Yankee players willing to offer a quote criticizing fan culture, but I’ll pass along these observations after embedding with the team throughout a difficult month.

First, this is not a criticism of folks who feel angry and disappointed that they don’t get to cheer for their team in the World Series. It’s just an objective truth that the team is taken aback by the level of negativity hitting them after a division title and 99-win season. Those feelings could have real consequences for the roster.

More than one Yankee player has told his agent this week that playing at the Stadium last weekend was an unusually brutal experience. It was hard for many teammates to believe that fans booed Judge. Even a difficult person and underperformer like Josh Donaldson was turned into a somewhat sympathetic figure internally by the force of the jeering.
New York Yankees third baseman Josh Donaldson (28) throws to first base to force out Cleveland Guardians designated hitter Owen Miller (not pictured) during the tenth inning in game two of the ALDS for the 2022 MLB Playoffs at Yankee Stadium.

In the days that followed, many in the organization were surprised by the tone of fan and media reaction. Rivals were shocked too. One longtime exec texted to say he was struck by "the irrational opinions on Cashman and Boone. I get that it’s World Series or bust but drat they’re spoiled."

The gap between industry and fan perceptions of Cashman and Boone is particularly striking. Rivals consider Cashman one of the greatest executives in sports, and say that Boone will immediately become a coveted free agent if the Yankees fire him. Other GMs and agents are genuinely baffled by fan hate toward those two.

Cashman and Boone can take it, though. They’re not going anywhere unless Hal Steinbrenner tells them to (and while that’s not expected, we’re still awaiting word, and there are no guarantees either way).

It’s player reaction to the toxicity that poses a tangible problem, and the Yankees know it. That’s one reason why the front office supports Boone’s relentless positivity when discussing players in public: Between fans in the stadium, social media and traditional media, the team figures that players have enough criticism in their day. It’s the modern manager’s job to provide an environment that serves as an escape from all that.

Cashman and his staff believe that Boone is the right person for that task. We will see if they retain the power to decide that.

The Yankees themselves created this problem long ago. George Steinbrenner’s oft-repeated theme, later adopted by Derek Jeter and others, that a season is a failure if it does not end in a championship has come to define the Yankee brand.

Now the clubhouse itself feels crushed under the weight of that brand. More than I’ve ever seen, players don’t want to be Yankees. The team needs to find a way to change the message and tone -- though after all these years, doing so might be near impossible.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 26, 2022

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Derek Jeter himself said you either win a WS or your a failure. So if that mindset is good enough for El Capitan then it should be good enough for the current Yankee players.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

The Mets deadline was god awful as well.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

If he can get that much god bless him.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/Metsmerized/status/1585998704032587778

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Delete Twitter.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Aparently the Mets are making their RF Aaron Judge friendly.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

maffew buildings posted:

going all out to court the little league stadium home run king wow

Of all the things I hate the Wilpons about, the orginal dimensions of Citi Field are right up there.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Wow Diaz. Mets not playing.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I got an email from MLB this weekend saying something like “Claim your Commemorative World Series Ticket!”, which I was excited about since Minute Maid doesn’t do paper tickets anymore. The excitement lasted about ten seconds before I opened the email and realized it was some stupid loving NFT thing MLB partnered with.

The NYGiants did that for two games. I clicked on the link once to see WTF it was and it was just a dumb animated logo.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

e: wow wrong thread.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/MichiganYankees/status/1591096284492226561

:sickos:

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

bawfuls posted:

mcmagic is incapable of internalizing the concept of postseason chaos. It’s all completely deterministic in his yankeebrain. If you lose it’s cause you’re a Loser who can’t Win, no other outcome was possible. Admitting otherwise would imply that the Great Yankees of his youth also got a bit lucky sometimes, instead of all being supermen with special Yankee Winner Mojo.

No, you see THE CAPTAIN Derek Jeter just possessed the *will to win* and used this psyic desire to force his teammates into excellence. How do you people not get this?!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Not really, Rangers were the front-runners.

I know the "donsen't like to play in New York" poo poo is overdone, but I really thing the he was not very happy being the face of the franchise.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Also 5 years with his injury history is asking for a lot.

Good luck to him, all good memories.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Lots of MAGA deGrom takes out there. The NY fan-base is coalescing around the 'redneck who never really wanted to play in the big city' narrative.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Kate Upton in a Mets hat.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Red posted:

https://twitter.com/TooGooden17/status/1599888791501565952

Can we just please ban this idiot from baseball

The Federalist has the best scoops.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Boooooo!!!!! BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I had an outside hope of the Mets mystery-teaming it up, but that disappointment is nothing compared to the Yankee tears I've been denied.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1600488513148841985

PADRES MYSTERY TEAM!!!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

How the gently caress is the Mets payroll that high? Lindor and Scherzer and Verlander?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Red Sox just don't loving care anymore huh?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Steve didn’t buy the Mets to watch the number go up. He wants to win a ring.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/1601186171492610048?s=20&t=sheD3jljzK4N75euIdM4JQ

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Jake deGom still has not issued any sort of thank you to the Mets other then some vanilla platitudes during his Texas press conference.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/JulianGuilarte1/status/1602287347906887681

What else does the Islanders former Goalie know that the NY Media does not?

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 12, 2022

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

We all know how the Yankees love their PEDs guys too.

A-Rod, Andy Pettitte, Clemens, Cano, Giambi, Melky Cabrera, just to name a few.

He'd be a "true Yankee" right away.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Why have a billion dollar payroll and not have the biggest video board in the MLB I guess.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Nodoze posted:

The Red Sox released Jeter Downs. What a trade lol

Yeah...Jeets?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON?????

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

So Batty gets traded now? Or moved to LF?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Thanks for sharing the hot reddit takes here on the SomethingAwful.com forums.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Is "we didn't like his medicals" the ultimate "we tried"?

e: lol

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

If he's legit an injury risk and it flares up Cohen will DFA him and next man up. Dude really does not care about sunk cost.