Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ironicat barfing ironicats

https://twitter.com/ActionNetworkHQ/status/1579830426847178752?s=20&t=B3NlNXncicl5pBj-jUWn7g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

"Just stay retired" you say

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1583581938866003968?s=20&t=RZOY14zYPQ55xI1jrk3YGg

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Hahaha oh god, the White Sox might actually hire Ozzie again. I mean a Twister spinner with “swing away” written on it would be an upgrade over TLR but still.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Here's when Chris Sabo was caught with a corked bat. Sabo claims he borrowed it from a teammate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft-pWVaRnQ8

Billy Hatcher's corked bat. It wasn't his. Hilariously, it belonged to pitcher Dave Smith. Or at least, it had Smith's number on the handle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75KwmNDJy7Q

Others caught with cork:
Graig Nettles in 1974
Albert Belle in 1994 (the one Jason Grimsley Mission Impossible'd from the umpires room)
Wilton Guerrero in 1997
Sosa in 2003

Everyone involved in this sport has been the dumbest motherfuckers on earth for 150 years and I love it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Oh, hey, this seems like it might be important

https://twitter.com/KTLA/status/1592307910213701634?s=20&t=q9jaJG1wyJ3_b-edN-P5Hg

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Give me multiplayer 2020 Super Baseball and I’ll never play any other baseball game. Except maybe Pawapuro.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Also put Brett Phillips on the game cover, specifically doing this.

Edit: Oh he was just signed to the Angels?? Are they ever gonna produce or just keep wasting all the good and fun players.

Dammit, he was the perfect Ray: no bat, all glove, all fun!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

SAS regulars realizing abolishing their state’s income tax could help make the Home Team’s FA offers more competitive

Florida has no income tax (we tax the hell out of hotels and tourism) and this hasn’t helped the Rays!!!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Hand Row posted:

One of my greatest in person fan moments was seeing a Russell Branyan moonshot that went into the upper deck. And it was a freaking foul ball but it was so majestic the entire crowd was in awe.

I got to see Longo on the Giants hit one to Waveland last year :unsmith:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

College football realignments are pretty much the pre-pyramid soccer setup from 120 years ago. Texas and the Sooners are joining the SEC (a top tier) so the Big 12 (who are a step down, effectively) is inviting a bunch of teams like UCF out of the ACC (who are a definite second-tier).

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Sydin posted:

Oh I guess the Cubs also traded for Zach Davies, who on top of sucking total rear end completely cut off all contact with his wife while with the Cubs so he could have an affair.

So an inverse Zobrist?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

They activate Nick Punto and it freaks out and Ritsuko has to destroy it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

tbh the UK scene has come a long way from the days where the best team around was a group of random US servicemen from an airbase

Does that count for the WBC? Edwin Jackson was born in a base in Germany…

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Folks, would you believe Fay Vincent doesn’t like betting in baseball?

quote:

"I worry about this,” says Vincent about gambling and MLB’s relationship today. "As history shows us with the 1919 Chicago White Sox, many today believe that it’s only a matter of time until we have another scandal possibly involving players or umpires.”

Vincent points out the behavior of the 2017 Houston Astros, as they would win a franchise's first World Series championship, all under a cloud of cheating. Although no gambling was detected, it was the stealing of opposing teams’ signs with a camera and relaying their findings in code by banging trash cans that steamed Vincent.

"That should have been a warning sign for baseball. The Astros cheated and got away with it,” tells Vincent.

When Rose was caught betting on games, Vincent reminded me it was a federal offense. He also doesn’t appear to have changed his mind on MLB's decision handed down in 1989 to the man who collected 4,256 hits.

Dinosaurs! posted:

I’m normally a sucker for alliteration, but Florida Marlins just feels right.

I’m looking forward to the ironic throwback to Turn Ahead The Clock unis

The Rays have ‘70s “throwbacks” they pull out sometimes. I think they were designed for a throwback game against the Cubs.

https://twitter.com/RaysBaseball/status/744225593944907776?s=20&t=6VPfdOzT-EWpxbB3aKWDZg

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 12, 2023

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

That’s because the Super Bowl isn’t a regular season game

personal foul, unnecessary roughness. 15 yards, automatic first down

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

You and the other guy will be starting in the California Penal League if you’re not careful :supaburn:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Send Manfred to the California Penal League too while we’re at it

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I wouldn’t mind the ghost runner as much if it kicked in in the 11th or 12th. At least we don’t have 7-inning doubleheaders anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

It should be called the Manfred Man because Manfred should be wrapped up in a douche (and thrown into a large plastic garbage can)