Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

We Are Not Alone.

Confirmed reports are coming in that an UFO has crashed somewhere in the world, in minutes the worldview of the planet has changed, factions are forming to try and deal with this threat, and we are one of them.

One faction shall rule the world.

Not only that, but we will need to expand into space to take the war to both terrestrial and extraterrestrial enemies.

To do this, we will need to control the countries of the world.

And oh boy are there a lot of them.

Welcome to Terra Invicta. In this video LP we’re going to take a go at saving, or dooming the world to this new alien menace. Not only will we move behind the scenes to manipulate nations to our will.

This is a weird mix of 4X, strategy real and turn based, I’ve played a few hours of the demo, but I’m going in mostly blind to this, so expect me to lose!

Of course, first we need to choose a faction!

How do we deal with this event? Who Are we?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Power? I like the sound of that.
Initiative.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Exodus
A nice straightforward goal.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Lone Badger posted:

Initiative.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I only played a bit of the tutorial, and decided the game has a very confusing interface. I will let it sit until the tutorial improves or I get good lps explaining the game to me.

Anyways Humanity First, mostly because I am still very confused about what their actual difference to the resistance is.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Initiative.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

The Academy.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

VictualSquid posted:

Anyways Humanity First, mostly because I am still very confused about what their actual difference to the resistance is.

Humanity first's default production includes nukes

The Resistance is X-Com, Humanity first is a wannabe Imperium of Man.

Anyway Academy

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Yeah, one of these games that I would like play but I am definitely too stupid for its learning curve. I'll watch your VLP with pleasure.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Servetus posted:

Anyway Academy

That description is still kinda implying that the Resistance will refuse to act like X-com does towards the end of the game.
That is develop power armor that makes you stronger then the aliens. Develop spacecraft that outfight most alien crafts. And attack the aliens on their mars base.
Those are things that X-com did.

The main difference I see is that the Resistance believes that the war against aliens will be difficult, and Humanity First believes that the war will be easy.
Which would be an interesting conflict to see. Which is why I would like to see a playthrough of them. If we are close to winning, will the resistance insist that we destroy our heavy weapons to turn things back into a guerilla war?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

VictualSquid posted:

That description is still kinda implying that the Resistance will refuse to act like X-com does towards the end of the game.
That is develop power armor that makes you stronger then the aliens. Develop spacecraft that outfight most alien crafts. And attack the aliens on their mars base.

The main difference I see is that the Resistance believes that the war against aliens will be difficult, and Humanity First believes that the war will be easy.
Which would be an interesting conflict to see. Which is why I would like to see a playthrough of them. If we are close to winning, will the resistance insist that we destroy our heavy weapons to turn things back into a guerilla war?

From the description it appears that Resistance wants to drive the aliens away from earth by whatever means necessary, and Humanity First wants to kill all the aliens and also kill any humans that they deem to have co-operated with the aliens.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

a good way to think of it is the resistance is xcom, humanity first is the imperium of man.

edit: lmao didnt even see them say it first

Servetus posted:

Anyway Academy

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

The Lone Badger posted:

Initiative.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I haven't seen anyone play the Servants yet.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Given what you named the thread?

The Lone Badger posted:

Initiative.

Yeah.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Playing the bad guys is only fun if they are cool. The Servants are just religious, capitulating sycophants that hit a little too close to home to be cool.

I'm playing the Initiative in my current (and so far, best) game so I want to see another faction take a crack. Let me see Humanity First.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

SettingSun posted:

Playing the bad guys is only fun if they are cool. The Servants are just religious, capitulating sycophants that hit a little too close to home to be cool.

I'm playing the Initiative in my current (and so far, best) game so I want to see another faction take a crack. Let me see Humanity First.

The actual worst faction are the Protectorate.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
I'm feeling The Academy, seems like a fun time.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

VictualSquid posted:

The Resistance's first priority is saving Earth. As long as the aliens are willing to leave Earth alone, the Resistance will keep a wary eye on them but let them be. They tolerate anyone who doesn't want to sign Earth over to the aliens (so everyone but the Protectorate and the Servants).

Humanity First's first priority is wiping out the aliens. They don't want a single alien left alive in the whole galaxy, even if their ultimate goal is beyond the scope of the game. They tolerate the Resistance (who have the right idea but just don't have the guts to go far enough) and Exodus (who don't interfere with HF's goals at all aside from competing for resources), but everyone else is a stubborn fool at best or a goddamn xeno-loving traitor at worst.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The Initiative, because of the thread title.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

If you're familiar with XCOM: Chimera Squad, think of that - the Resistance will be fine becoming XCOM in that game where they settle into a "coexist but with oversight on the still dangerous stuff" role while Humanity First becomes the bad guys, getting real angry that XCOM decided not to genocide all the (former psychically-enslaved soldier) aliens and keep Earth pure.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
La Resistance

Kick them out, but we don't have to go full Space Hitler

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Destroy the aliens with FACTS and LOGIC

Academy

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

VictualSquid posted:

I only played a bit of the tutorial, and decided the game has a very confusing interface. I will let it sit until the tutorial improves or I get good lps explaining the game to me.

the relationship between the Resistance and Humanity First is a little like the relationship between the American government and Osama Bin Laden

you are, at least at first, natural allies! you both want these invaders the gently caress out of your territory, along with any of their collaborators! but once that shared enemy is just a little bit out of the picture, well, there are certain ideological disagreements, and they may result in friction, and Humanity First is going to have nuclear weapons with which to have them.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
also i vote Protectorate. "Not Even The Fun Kind Of Evil."

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
Exodus

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Play the Initiative.

Sir, I knew Nwabudike Morgan. I've played as Nwabudike Morgan. Mr. Wik, you're no Nwabudike Morgan.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Initiative

If we're playing a secret society simulator, might as well pick the one faction that feels like a legit secret society instead of a Militia or Quisling LARP.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Servants. Be bold and change the future of humanity!

Happerry
Nov 4, 2011

wiegieman posted:

The actual worst faction are the Protectorate.

At least the Servants believe in something. The Protectorate... well, all the names I'd like to call them probably count as spoilers.

Anyway, I'm going to vote for Project Exodus. Though I won't be sad if either Academy or Nwabudike Morgan wins.

Grey Hunter posted:

This is a weird mix of 4X, strategy real and turn based, I’ve played a few hours of the demo, but I’m going in mostly blind to this, so expect me to lose!
Honestly it's pretty hard to lose this game (baring someone else actually outright hitting their win condition to my understanding) in comparison to the ease of rage quiting a run when they, say, forget that they're playing as a secret society, not a nation, and getting kicked out of somewhere doesn't mean the game is over. This game was made by the people who made Long War, there's plenty of room to lose and come back and lose again and otherwise suffer loses and keep going. I don't want to go into details though because I don't know how much you care about spoilers and advice or if you want to figure all that out yourself, which is admittedly pretty fun to do even if the UI makes some stuff a real headscratcher until you find the right popup or figure out what to read in the codex.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Initiative because it sounds cool.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHprrqxd0Sw

Here we go! and it looks like getting in on any of the richer countries is going to be hard! This is a rocky start and I make a key mistake with one of my councillers.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Wuhan just can't catch a break when it comes to world-altering disasters.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Initiative because it sounds cool.

as we will learn from tech quotes as we continue, the Initiative is 'imagine if all the harm Elon Musk did was part of a malevolent master plan, instead of incompetence.'

everyone else is playing X-Com, you are playing Evil Genius.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

as we will learn from tech quotes as we continue, the Initiative is 'imagine if all the harm Elon Musk did was part of a malevolent master plan, instead of incompetence.'

Some of Soren's tech quotes are pretty funny. Space Tourism for example, I found the quote for Electro-Thermal propulsion funny as well, but that might just be my sense of humor.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

Is EVERYONE the baddies in this?

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

The Academy are good people who just want to form the United Federation of Planets.

Poor Bastards.

In all seriousness the leaders of the Restistance, the Academy, and the Exodus all come off as genuinely good people in the quotes.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Veloxyll posted:

the Academy are pretty unequivocally the good guys

relatedly they have the hardest uphill fight by a lot, because every anti-alien faction considers them collaborators, every pro-alien faction considers them arrogant dipshits loving up collaboration, and the Initiative and Exodus consider them naive morons wasting valuable resources.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSx2_H5ISMg

A but longer between videos than I would have liked, but ehre we are trying to break into america using a celebrity!

Things start to go a bit better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
"Let's take Poland for the spaceflight capability" is not an action I expected in this game