Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Insane geopolitical situations are going to be a staple in this game. Improbable things like Venezuela going to war with Laos are the tip of the iceberg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Grey is playing Iniative fairly realistically though. Pitiless resource extraction in Africa to fund those cut-throat power mad bastards dreaming of Imperium in Canada :canada:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Crazy mixed up world where Russia invades Ukraine tho :v:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Nations are not players in TI, they are board pieces.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzcEAJ-h9_Y

We head into space, and continue to secure America - but more and more aliens are arriving!

Slaan posted:

Grey is playing Iniative fairly realistically though. Pitiless resource extraction in Africa to fund those cut-throat power mad bastards dreaming of Imperium in Canada :canada:

Yep! then abandon them to their fate afterwards. The true Capatalist way!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

As for federating - they have to have a claim, then you can influence policy with the lesser nation to merge them I think - When you did the alter policy mission on Canada Federate was one of the options - though it looked like it was greyed out. Whether because you need to fully control the USA or what, I don't know, I don't think I'd enjoy playing this.

Happerry
Nov 4, 2011
Federating/Unifying related stuff requires you have been in control of the far right 'command point' for the nation for one hundred and eighty days to have 'established firm control' or whatever the exact words are before those options open up, or to have taken power by force, because it was way too easy to rush-create the EU originally. Fusing Canada and the USA into one nation (and later on adding Mexico) also requires some additional research, the EU is the only 'nation' open for fusing in that manner from the start, due to... well, it already kinda existing sorta at game start.

You can check what national policies a nation has available to it without actually running the national policies action by hovering your mouse pointer over the national action popup thing in the middle of the nation's stat screen, underneath the control points and to the right of where it says 'overview', as it should be shown here if I haven't messed up the screenshots...

...And you can also go into the relations tab of a nation and hover your mouse over a nation's flag to get a more detailed pop up that explains everything you can or can not do to said nation, and why you can or can not have your nation do whatever to said other nation.

The relevant reason the USA needs research done before it can unify with Canada is that it doesn't start with claims on Canada, unlike the EU which starts with claims on all EU nations (and the Brits, though that takes the extra steps of re-federating them).

I know you're going into this mostly blind, so I hope this wasn't an unwelcome spoiler, but since the game's still in early access it often doesn't do a really good job of explaining why you can't do things.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Happerry posted:

I know you're going into this mostly blind, so I hope this wasn't an unwelcome spoiler, but since the game's still in early access it often doesn't do a really good job of explaining why you can't do things.

Also important bit that the game doesn't explain well:

Forming a Federation leaves the nations in an extra strong alliance that share each other's strengths.
Unification actually adds the territories from one country to the larger nation.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPTleSGl5vc

I cement my hold on America, and then begin to move into space - which is bloody expensive!

I also misunderstand how a few things work, but at least I was building up some experiance!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
After dumping 13 hours into this game I realized I have no idea what I'm doing at all.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Deadmeat5150 posted:

After dumping 13 hours into this game I realized I have no idea what I'm doing at all.

I'm already sold on this game, no need to recommend it further..

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

RedSnapper posted:

I'm already sold on this game, no need to recommend it further..

Its great, beautiful, glorious

I learned the power of orgs that give bonuses to your IP investment

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Ms Truss don't you have a government to run?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

every time Humanity First ends up in charge of Britain i confess to a certain sense of "welp, your problem now"

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

AtomikKrab posted:

Its great, beautiful, glorious

I learned the power of orgs that give bonuses to your IP investment

I learned that buying orgs just because you can is a fast track to having no money. Although now all my dudes can assassinate. Even though I don't know what that accomplishes since the AI just has another dude next go-round.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The Lone Badger posted:

hardly. There's a lettuce competing against her

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Liz Truss invading the Ukraine in 2024 to shore up her support in the Next General election is something I could see happening.....
Especailly on the Russian side. Boris did thank Putin for all his hard work..

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I learned that buying orgs just because you can is a fast track to having no money. Although now all my dudes can assassinate. Even though I don't know what that accomplishes since the AI just has another dude next go-round.

Be very careful of buying the US government orgs, some of them give great bonuses but they're pretty much all overpriced.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH7SW7z6tgw

I start to get up in the face of the other orgs.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
Is there diplomacy with other factions beyond trading with their agents?

Because if so, Exodus sounds like the most appropriate ally - they're leaving anyway, what do they care if we steal everything that's left?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It's only really direct trading. If you don't mess with them or their stuff and your ideology is close-ish you can hand them some one sided trades and make them tolerate you. Unless you pull ahead technologically or in MC and then everyone hates you no matter what.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

SettingSun posted:

It's only really direct trading. If you don't mess with them or their stuff and your ideology is close-ish you can hand them some one sided trades and make them tolerate you. Unless you pull ahead technologically or in MC and then everyone hates you no matter what.

Could you game this by intentionally slowing down your research while amassing power, or would this cripple the player too much?

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Libluini posted:

Could you game this by intentionally slowing down your research while amassing power, or would this cripple the player too much?

From what I've gleaned so far, it factors quite a few things into the "Am I losing?" and "Who's winning?" determinations.

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
One of the things it keeps track of, if I recall correctly, is how close you are to "winning the game". This one in particular had an amusing bug, wherein the Protectorate wound up generating a huge amount of aggro from the aliens by unlocking their win condition that subjugates humanity for the aliens.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Crepuscule Adepte posted:

One of the things it keeps track of, if I recall correctly, is how close you are to "winning the game". This one in particular had an amusing bug, wherein the Protectorate wound up generating a huge amount of aggro from the aliens by unlocking their win condition that subjugates humanity for the aliens.

That doesn't bode well for the odds of their plan succeeding..

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

kaosdrachen posted:

That doesn't bode well for the odds of their plan succeeding..

Turns out aliens love freedom and hate turncoats

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Everyone hates the Protectorate, as they should.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I know this is the long war people, but holy gently caress does this game need an even faster speed.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, it could easily have been turn based.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's so much that happens on a certain date but it makes no difference because you can't respond until the next command phase anyway. Might as well have happened the instant you hit the confirm button.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

There's so much that happens on a certain date but it makes no difference because you can't respond until the next command phase anyway. Might as well have happened the instant you hit the confirm button.

Reminds me of Imperium for the Atari ST. In that game, while turn-based, you could re-define your 1-year turns to take up to 10 years instead, but the game then just treated this as the player hitting the end-turn button a lot. If something bad happened early in your "turn", like say an invading force reaching your homeworld, then the game would just proceed to let the hostile force win the space battle, land troops, calculate multiple turns of battle against the defenders, then let the invading army march up to your palace and decapitate your dumb rear end still sitting daydreaming on your throne before the turn was even over.

As the player's "command phase" would only happen after the full ten years were over, your empire would just sit there and do nothing.

Man, that game was full of dumb traps like that.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Once you start getting into space combat, the timescale does matter. You can give fleets orders whenever they are ready for action, they don't do one thing a month like councillors.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Then it needs to get there faster.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

https://youtu.be/MnTTqzQPte4

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

https://youtu.be/Cm18vacB94k

Miners on the moon! they carry harpoons!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmJHElxpYf8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpMoFpNymeU

I forgot to post links to the last video, so here it is with todays!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I need to get around to viewing these, but Terra Invicta is an absolutely fantastic game

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

AtomikKrab posted:

I need to get around to viewing these, but Terra Invicta is an absolutely fantastic game

It's just so drat big of a game. I realized my mistake in playing in that I was rushing to do things and basically drawing a massive target on my forehead. This really is a game of slow and steady.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Deadmeat5150 posted:

It's just so drat big of a game. I realized my mistake in playing in that I was rushing to do things and basically drawing a massive target on my forehead. This really is a game of slow and steady.

Slow and steady until you are ready to make a move, then you strike, cause havoc, stabilize and repeat the slow and steady build

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyUAZlPXuew
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFx6lzajk54

okay, so I was massivly unprepeared for space combat!