Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Anyone else watching? Easily one of my favourite TV shows of all time and it started today. I had kind of given up on ever seeing that third season we needed.

It centers around the neurosurgical ward of Copenhagen's rigshospitalet (also known as Riget), and follows the bizzare people who work there and supernatural things going on. It's horror comedy, and a show that really got me interested in this genre when I was a child.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v0g7C7RoSo

On a personal note, I was at Riget when they were filming, while getting a liver transplant (which the original series 27 years ago, also had a subplot about). Sadly I did not see any actors or Trier, just people setting stuff up a few times for shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Woodenlung posted:

Anyone else watching? Easily one of my favourite TV shows of all time and it started today. I had kind of given up on ever seeing that third season we needed.

It centers around the neurosurgical ward of Copenhagen's rigshospitalet (also known as Riget), and follows the bizzare people who work there and supernatural things going on. It's horror comedy, and a show that really got me interested in this genre when I was a child.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v0g7C7RoSo

On a personal note, I was at Riget when they were filming, while getting a liver transplant (which the original series 27 years ago, also had a subplot about). Sadly I did not see any actors or Trier, just people setting stuff up a few times for shooting.

I just watched the first 2 seasons while visiting my folks, as it was on one of their streaming services - didn't have time to start watching Exodus though, unfortunately. I do really want to watch it, but it'll be sometime in late November at the earliest for me, rip.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Mubi are putting up remastered versions of seasons 1 and 2 on November 13/20 before premiering Exodus on the 27th (these are the UK dates, anyway) so I’ll probably wait for that. But hell yeah!!!!!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
wait what on earth

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Haha I doubt that one holds out.

Small spoiler (just an actor appearing) but... Wtf, Willem Dafeo just turned up

SpiritOfLenin posted:

I just watched the first 2 seasons while visiting my folks, as it was on one of their streaming services - didn't have time to start watching Exodus though, unfortunately. I do really want to watch it, but it'll be sometime in late November at the earliest for me, rip.

Never seen it before I assume? I also just rewatched it. It got it's weirdness with how it's filmed and acted sometimes, but drat, I still love it.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Woodenlung posted:

Haha I doubt that one holds out.

Small spoiler (just an actor appearing) but... Wtf, Willem Dafeo just turned up

Never seen it before I assume? I also just rewatched it. It got it's weirdness with how it's filmed and acted sometimes, but drat, I still love it.

Yeah hadn't seen it before, liked it a lot.

I genuinely liked the weird way it was filmed with the camera moving around as if it was handheld, sometimes making it feel like a documentary, and sometimes like as if you were intruding on the lives of the people of Riget. Except for the scenes with the two dishwashers where the camera wasn't moving around and during the credits monologues. Made the dishwashers kind of feel like they were a bit outside the story, commenting on its events and observing it, but not influenced by it - pretty much just like von Trier himself.

It is also incredible how Helmer managed to be just the Worst in every way constantly, feeling worse than the supernatural evil just because he was the Worst in a very human way.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Well the last episode came out yesterday, and honestly it blew me away. Felt like a gently caress you from Trier in the end, maybe even a bit of a swan song.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Holy poo poo for years I've been remembering a surreal supernatural comedy about a hospital I saw on ABC late at night in the early 2000s. I'd remembered it being British for some reason. Riget is it! gently caress me!

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity

Loomer posted:

Holy poo poo for years I've been remembering a surreal supernatural comedy about a hospital I saw on ABC late at night in the early 2000s. I'd remembered it being British for some reason. Riget is it! gently caress me!

There was an American remake as well on ABC, called Stephen King's Kingdom Hospital. It wasn't very good and kind of cut everything that made the original series so interesting.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Woodenlung posted:

There was an American remake as well on ABC, called Stephen King's Kingdom Hospital. It wasn't very good and kind of cut everything that made the original series so interesting.

This was in Australia in like 2002 so before the adaptation, so I think probably the original. It was a brief golden era of deranged programming.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Loomer posted:

This was in Australia in like 2002 so before the adaptation, so I think probably the original. It was a brief golden era of deranged programming.

It definitely seems like the sort of show you'd flick to late night on SBS, that was a great time for all sorts of weird shows and movies. I'd been meaning to watch this for a while now but I might hold out for the remasters of the first two season instead.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Toast King posted:

It definitely seems like the sort of show you'd flick to late night on SBS, that was a great time for all sorts of weird shows and movies. I'd been meaning to watch this for a while now but I might hold out for the remasters of the first two season instead.

Yeah. For some reason in 2002-2003 ABC did something similar and did deranged late night content at like, 1 - 2 AM? There was also a send-up soap opera thing about chavs with a drug running subplot only the drugs were no-poo poo lemon sherbert fizzes. It was an amazing time to have insomnia.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

that was great, more familiar than the Twin Peaks return but you still feel the passage of time. and the Swede vs Dane plot was very funny

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh nice, there's a thread. I'm watching the show for the first time, from the beginning. Helmet is such a poo poo, it's very funny.

Loomer posted:

I'm wondering if you're conflating this show with the British comedy Green Wing, which has very similar energy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really wish I’d liked this. I will say though people who like the original series will probably LOVE Exodus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Finished!

Didnt understand a bit of it, except I've got to respect the balls of any show that ends on a full St. Elsewhere reference.