Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
It’s your time to shine: you have been handed the deed to a mall with six empty storefronts in the food court and it’s up to you to lease them. Maybe you’re motivated by business sense, or maybe you’re living out your midlife crisis wish fulfillment. I don’t know your whole poo poo.

My roster:
1) Taco Bell. God of the game, and a perfect fit for a food court. No explanation necessary.

2) McDonald’s. The golden arches aren’t my favorite burger place, but their double cheeseburger is a stone cold classic that is perfect for a food court. Cheap, able to serve as a snack or a meal, and compact enough to sneak into the movies.

3) Kung Fu Tea. These are a pretty recent trend in food courts, and I couldn’t be happier. I love bubble tea, and it’s a great choice to either complement a meal from one of the other spots or pick up as a solo treat. Lots of options on the menu here means we’re adding a lot of versatility.

4) Pizzeria Regina. A lock. Best slice in the game, and the option to order a full pie also gives a convenient way to order a meal for a group. It’s nice to have the option to pick up a pie for the family on the way home from the mall, builds some more convenience and utility into the food court experience.

5) D’Angelo’s. A local sub chain that pops up in food courts occasionally, but most often at rest stops on the interstate. Great cheesesteaks, good Italian subs, good chicken caesar wraps.

6) Pokeworks. Here’s where I’m stretching things a little, as I’ve never seen one of these in the classic indoor food court I’m envisioning, though they are an occasional fixture at outdoor shopping centers. Maybe this is a center island type of spot, or maybe it’s a larger spot with an extended counter for ordering. This is my go-to for something that feels a little more nutritive and light, though I’m sure that eating a cup and a half of sauced up rice covered in wonton chips and fried onions isn’t actually good for you.

A few notable absences from my court:

1) A Chinese food place of any type. I’m a New England native and the Chinese food scene is just different here. To me, Chinese food is proper restaurant or takeout cuisine, a big affair, and the mall spots have limited appeal to me as such.

2) A donut spot. I’ve just never understood when you would be at the mall and it would be an appropriate time for a donut or coffee.

3) A cinnabon or pretzel spot. I respect that these are mall classics but I personally have never really frequented these. Plus they are usually satellite spots that are separate from the food court proper, in my experience.

4) An orange julius. I love OJ and it is another mall standard, but if I have to pick one spot for drinks, it’s going to be a bubble tea shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hmmm. Assuming we're doing no actual inside the restaurant seating?

In no order

Shake Shack
Chick-fil-a
Popeyes
Chipotle
Sbarro (unless theres some other pizza chain thats in malls, I dunno)
Mrs Fields

I feel like these are money makers

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Popeye’s is a great choice. I strongly considered putting it in my list in place of D’Angelo, but I felt that I had the “greasy, grimy little guy” angle thoroughly covered.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

My theoretical mall would of course have a mongolian bbq place also

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

at least three of the places has to have a guy in front handing out day old samples on toothpicks. no exceptions. then one of the big fast food chains like mcdonalds for 'that' population. a pizza place thats not sbarro but still has calzones. and a bubble tea place.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Anonymous Robot posted:

4) Pizzeria Regina. A lock. Best slice in the game, and the option to order a full pie also gives a convenient way to order a meal for a group. It’s nice to have the option to pick up a pie for the family on the way home from the mall, builds some more convenience and utility into the food court experience.

whatup fellow boston goon

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Arby’s

Taco Bell

McDonalds that serves pizza

Shake Shack

Wendy’s

Popeyes

I don’t care if it’s top heavy with burgers. They’re all different! :mad:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
okay so i'm a britgoon and these are my picks, in no particular order

- tortilla: subway, but for burritos. simply perfection
- boost juice: whenever i'm prancing around carrying an orange, carrot, mango and celery juice i feel like a million bucks
- wendys: i hope that when my time comes around the nurses at the hospice i'm in liquify wendys baked potatoes and pump them directly into my bloodstream using an iv
- veggie pret a manger: they have this fuckin artichoke and olive sandwich that sounds disgusting but is so so so good. afaik it's exclusive to the veggie prets and that's all well and good because i'll trek to the ends of the earth for this stuff
- subway: i'll chow down on some of that yoga mat bread any day of the week
- spud-u-like: you know, i never really cared for them, but the nostalgia i'd feel seeing one again would stop me dead in my shoes
- wimpy: i loved wimpy as a kid. it was the most pathetic restaurant ever. it was like the sad little wet kitten of fast food
- yo sushi: those conveyor belts are to die for
- quiznos: they've got a pepper bar

absolutely nots:
- kaspas: ew, no. all those dessert restaurants are a front for something, i'll tell you that much
- creams: same thing, but with a notably worse name
- west cornwall pasty company: cornish pasties are vile and an entire fast food joint dedicated to them is a step too far
- byron: gently caress you if you call immigration on your own hard working employees
- any sort of spoons: i've fallen prey to your very easy to navigate cocktail section on your app too many times!!!!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
1) Orange Julius - Need all those rare Julius flavors. You can put Blizzards on the menu I GUESS but I prefer OJ to be the star and Dairy Queen to be the support.
2) Cinnabon - Never Fails. OP's point of these being satellite spots is a good one but we're desperate to save this mall so I'm putting the big gun in the food court.
3) Coco Ichibanya - To me the ultimate mall curry rice.
4) Shake Shack - While it's not my favorite fast food burger place (although it's up there) it's undeniably a draw to malls.
5) Charleys Subs - Solid mall provider of cheesesteaks and cheesesteak-likes.
6) Chickadees - Local place that specializes in chicken quesadillas at the mall. Good poo poo. Should be national.
7) Wetzel Pretzels - It's not great food but i dunno it feels right to eat it at a mall. It tastes better than many of the other mall standards which is why it makes it top 10.
8) A&W - The less food available the better to be honest but getting a fresh float in the mall and pouring your own rootbeeer out of that jug is a nice experience.
9) Sarku Japan - Kind of proof there is an art to teppanyaki because a lot of these chefs don't got it, but some do and when they do it's a good experience. Usually one of the last places to leave even a dying mall so they must make money.
10) A Local Raspados Place - In 2022 a mall loving needs a Raspado place.
11) Mrs Fields - Cookies are only okay but I love some cookies.
12) Hot Dog On A Stick - Is anything they make good? Well no. But I like seeing them in the mall, it comforts me.
13) Sbarros - I don't like them. But, they're a mall staple. This is like drafting Keegan Murray at 4. It's a familiar name people know and will consume so I'm putting it in.
14) Habachi-San - Panda Express's teppanyaki place. It's more meat candy than even regular PE but I find it to be superior. They use different, better steamed rice, too. I probably wouldn't do mall sushi but to each their own.
15) McDonalds at a food court is just better. Can't explain it.

:sss: :tbear: Oel ngati kameie Los Ingobernables de Onsite BYOB
Seared tuna steak, served with ponzu sauce and wasabi.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 07:55 May 03, 2015 posted:

sometimes i rub Fabreeze on my hands and now my hands are very dry.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 04:55 Apr 10, 2017 posted:

It was nice knowing you all. Sometimes.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Orange Julius hasn’t been good for years. I would pay to keep them out of my food court unless I could personally run it independent from corporate and make the drinks to the original recipe :colbert:

----------------

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
York Steakhouse

----------------

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Do they have Coco Ichibanya in malls outside of Japan? Our local Asian mall has a Gogo Curry which is like a knockoff Coco Curry and it is good as hell.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

drunkb posted:

York Steakhouse

wiki editor with an old grudge

quote:

There was an extra charge for pats of butter and sour cream.[citation needed]

----------------

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Do they have Coco Ichibanya in malls outside of Japan? Our local Asian mall has a Gogo Curry which is like a knockoff Coco Curry and it is good as hell.

Depending on if you count outdoor malls as malls the one in Irvine is but that is the only one I can speak of outside of Tokyo.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Futanari Damacy posted:

Orange Julius hasn’t been good for years. I would pay to keep them out of my food court unless I could personally run it independent from corporate and make the drinks to the original recipe :colbert:

It’s gone downhill true but this is our food court, we can fix it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Rick posted:

It’s gone downhill true but this is our food court, we can fix it.

Simon Says: you can't fix it

edit holy gently caress Simon owns every mall and outlet in my extended metro area

----------------

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

i say swears online posted:

wiki editor with an old grudge

LMAO

----------------

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Steak Escape - Fantastic cheesesteak chain
Kato's Cajun - Mix of Cajun & Chinese chicken with Chinese rice and noodles
Panda Express - Chinese choose 3 meats on rice or noodles
Sarku Japan - Chinese choose 3 meats on rice or noodles
Terriyaki Express - 3lbs of Terriyaki chicken over rice for like $6. loving insanely good.

Orange Julius was good in the 80s and early 90s, but I think they got bought out and now they suck. They had the best Chicago Dogs and those orange shakes were amazing. Used to go there in high school all the time and get the chicago dog meal deal.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 30, 2022

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Philthy posted:

Steak Escape

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Philthy posted:

Terriyaki Express - 3lbs of Terriyaki chicken over rice for like $6. loving insanely good.

Imo this needs to be more international. 4/5 of these are either Chinese or Japanese or apparently both in the case of Sarku Japan. Where's anyone going to get a hamburger?? :(

----------------

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
My mouth is watering already. Food posting at 9am. Cursed.

Futanari Damacy posted:

Imo this needs to be more international. 4/5 of these are either Chinese or Japanese or apparently both in the case of Sarku Japan. Where's anyone going to get a hamburger?? :(

Our food courts have no burgers anymore. The rest are pizza/mexican/gyro, which aren't very good compared to a dedicated local place that offers the same. The big chains like McD's, Wendys, etc all moved out in the early 2000s and it's been this way since. I guess I missed sort of the point of setting up your dream court. Probably put in a Wendys maybe? But 9 out of 10 times I'm going to Steak Escape, and the off chance I don't want one I'll get some meat + rice combo. :D I really don't miss any of the places that left. An 80s version of Orange Julius is the only thing I'd really REALLY want.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 30, 2022

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

It is always crazy to me when you see a food court with not two, but three or even four places all serving identical spins on sesame chicken and boneless spare ribs. How do they all stay in business? How do you choose between them?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

lol

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

A strong new contender in the food court space is Korean corn dogs. Very fun, a lot of options, super novel. Unfortunately they are often pricy.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
classic food court options for me are Taco Bell, any place that does gyros, Jake's Wayback Burger, Charley's, and then of course your local Asian chain. for me around here it's Master Wok and they'll give you the fattest box of food for $6

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Yeah a good Greek place is indispensable actually. I just don't know of a non-regional chain

A local mall had a place that did amazing shawarma, made the wraps fresh on the griddle and everything. This was in a place with McDonald's, Arby's, all the standard places and it's the only one that didn't survive the pandemic :(

----------------

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Philthy posted:

Orange Julius was good in the 80s and early 90s, but I think they got bought out and now they suck. They had the best Chicago Dogs and those orange shakes were amazing. Used to go there in high school all the time and get the chicago dog meal deal.

Are you in WI or is Kato's Cajun casting a wider net than I anticipated? Kato's is absolutely the Chinese on my list, I gotta ponder the other 5 though

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
yah im in wisconsin, but ive seen them in other states and even some airport places maybe

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I guess it's usually somewhere other than the food court. But the correct answer is Auntie Anne's

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

if you want to make any money (lol) it has to be:

Taco Bell because it's has enough cheap options to keep the teenagers who get babysat by the mall fed but also their limited ingredient selection makes logistics easy in a small space.

Chick-Fil-A a little more expensive than TB but fairly limited menu. Throw those sandwiches in the foil lined bag and put them in a warmer and sell them out of there. Old school foodcourt staple in the south.

Chipotle can serve a lot of customers quickly and the assembly line style works great in a small space.

Panda Express See Chipotle

A small bodega/convenience store with bottled waters, chips, gum, smokes. etc. This may be cheating idk.

Orange Julius for drinks and desserts.

Swap out Panda Express for a Subway if you hate yourself.