Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Click to watch the opening movie.

What is this?
This is Disgaea 4 Complete+! The second re-release of the fourth game of the Disgaea strategy role-playing series by Nippon Ichi Software. The Disgaea series is known for its silly over the top humor, grind, and HUGE numbers. Every game barring Disgaea 6 (because it goes far higher) has a max level of 9999. This is mostly an element of the post-game. The regular story can be played without grinding and ends usually around level 100.

Disgaea 4 was originally released as Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten for the PlayStation 3. It received a re-release with additional playable characters, story content, and substantial quality of life features back ported from Disgaea D2 on the PlayStation Vita under the title Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited. The latest re-release is under the title Disgaea 4 Complete+ on the PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and PC. It includes everything from A Promise Revisited and a few more quality of life changes. The biggest being able to adjust skill animations to play up to 4x faster for quicker grinding!

Why Disgaea 4 and not one of the earlier games?
Disgaea 1, 2, 3, and D2 already have excellent Let’s Plays by Fienne. The Disgaea games are largely stand alone stories, so you are not missing anything from following this Let’s Play if you aren’t familiar with prior games.

Let’s jump right in.

Chapter list
Part 1: Rebels of Hades.
Part 2: Prinny Exams & An Unforgettable Graduation Day!
Part 3: Local Teacher Takes A Stand For His Students!
Part 4: A Warden’s Burning Passion! Rebellion for the Prinnies!
Part 5: Teenage Dreams!
Part 6: Death Without Killing Intent?: 100% Full Power!
Part 7: Inmates Running Free!
Part 8: Unjust Imprisonment!
Part 9: Identity Crisis & Fake News!
Part 10: A Traumatic Reveal!
Part 11: The Angel of Avarice...
Part 12: Flashbacks.
Part 13: Shots Fired!
Part 14: The A-Virus!
Part 15: "A" Multiple Problem!
Part 16: A Plan, A Man, A Pandemic-land.
Part 17: Dyed In His Colors!
Part 18: Elections.
Part 19: Voter Turn Out!
Part 20: Wannabes.
Part 21: Disgaea 4!: Emizel! Unstoppable Hype Man!
Part 22: The Most Jerk Thing That Jerk Does.
Part 23: Tyrant VS President! A Shocking Truth Revealed!
Part 24: The Judge...
Part 25: The Human World.
Part 26: Top Secret Weapons.
Part 27: To the Moon!
Part 28: The Lady Archangel...
Part: 29: Fear the Great...
Part 30: Openings and Bans.
Part 31: The Villain's Tragic Backstory.
Part 32: Repentance.
Part 33: Defying God.
Part 34: The Other Endings.
Part 35: The DLC Characters.
Part 36: The DLC Characters, Part 2
Part 37: The DLC Characters, Part 3
Part 38: The DLC Characters, Part 4

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Episode 1: Rebels of Hades.

We begin in Hades. The prison of the Netherworld.

How topical.

We’re going to be learning a lot about sardines from this point forward.

No matter the hardships or circumstances, you are ever the optimist, my Lord.

Hmhmhm, listen to this, Fenrich. Sardines are the most ideal food because they are full of nutrients, like omega-3 fatty acids.

Sardine biology degree here we come!

I’ve been here for quite some time, but I never knew these cheap sardines possessed so much potential…
One should never underestimate the studies that are conducted in the Human World.
Hmhm… There is no doubt that my body is benefiting from these sardines’ nutrition!

...The fact that you don’t even acknowledge it as degeneration is one of my Lord Valvatorez’s many formidable powers.
Care for another, to enhance your evolution, my Lord?

Hah! This one looks rather juicy and delicious.
Huh!? W-wait for a second…!

Yes? Is there a problem?

https://i.imgur.com/XVNVUCX.mp4

Hard to tell, but I am leaning toward yes.

Fenrich!? Once again, you have attempted to sneak this into my meal! ...The blood of humans!!

As expected, my Lord, you saw right through my deception.

Of course! Never doubt a Vampire’s sense of smell!

I only meant it as a gift to my master, who has lost his power due to a foolish promise that he made into the past.
Since you can’t abide breaking promises, I figured it would be prudent for you to imbibe it unintentionally… Do you disapprove?

How many times do I have to tell you!? A proud demon like myself would never break a promise!
Demon’s promises are suppose to be sacred! They are contra-

I admire that you have retained your values as a demon, even after you lost your powers and fell to Hades.

Fool! You forgot to include “dood” in all of your lines! Prinny Rule No. 1! You shall always include the word “dood” in every line you say!

Y-you’re absolutely right, dood! I’m sorry dooooood!

So that’s why every Prinny says dood in the other games.

To late! You must start over from Level 1!

Tough break buddy.

Can’t even master the basics? The quality of the human souls is decreasing by the day.

That is why… That is why I have to do this. I vowed to become a Prinny Instructor the very day I fell to Hades because I knew that was my true calling.

What an impressive ability to overwrite his memory of losing his power and being forced to take the least wanted job in the Netherworld. This is another one of his formidable powers. He can convert any suffering that he’s been through into something positive.
(You’re way too good to be a lowly Prinny Instructor, my Lord…)
(Some day, I, Fenrich, will…)

Let’s go, Fenrich! It’s time to fulfill our duty!

There's our title card.

These people will come along and follow you, as Prinny Instructors in training.

The budget must be tight for three trainees to one Prinny Instructor.

I’m Fighter, a Warrior. Physical attacks and close combat are my specialties. Pleased to meet you, my Lord.

I’m Red Skull, a Magician. I’ll take care of the magic attacks. Nice to meet you, my Lord.

I’m Healer, a Cleric. I’ll support you with my healing powers. Thank you for having me, my Lord.

I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to handle my job adequately, with the steady increase of new Prinnies.
Well now, neophytes! As a fully fledged Prinny Instructor, pay attention to my leadership and follow in my foot steps!

No points for naming creativity, but they’ll get the job done.

Oh, one more thing… I have good news for you, my Lord.

Please take solace, my Lord. We have caught the sardine thief.

This is most excellent news, Fenrich! The fight for sardines has finally come to an end!
HmHmHm, as punishment, this one must work for me, for free, forever!

Yes, my Lord.

Meow! Meow! (Dammit, this is a living hell!)

Catsaber is a fast close range fighter. Now that we have our bases covered we're ready to get educating.

Now, let’s proceed everyone! To the Prinny Factory!

Next time on Disgaea 4: Prinny exams & an unforgettable graduation day!

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I remember finding the first Disgaea LP over a decade ago, but I heard it never got finished and that discouraged me from reading it. Is it okay if I just read this one for now, or will it spoil the other games?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Solitair posted:

I remember finding the first Disgaea LP over a decade ago, but I heard it never got finished and that discouraged me from reading it. Is it okay if I just read this one for now, or will it spoil the other games?

The games are not super connected.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Solitair posted:

Each Disgaea game has their own unconnected story with completely different casts. The only exception is Disgaea D2. That is a direct sequel to Disgaea 1 and has the same core cast. Disgaea 2 to a lesser extent as well since one character from Disgaea 1 joins the cast during the main story.

This game does have a few characters from previous games appear during its main story, but I don't think them showing up spoils anything from the prior games.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Huh, interesting. I've never played a Disgaea game before. Looking forward to how this goes.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

D4 apparently has one of the best stories in the franchise, though its UI can be a bit off-putting. D5 really gave the series the revamping it needed (though I despised D5's story)

Also Valvatorez becomes the best. Easily one of my fav unique chars in the franchise.

Solitair posted:

It's fine, this games are mostly standalone. If the OP does all the extra DLC crap there's gonna be callbacks to previous games but I doubt you'll miss much.

BoxofWoe
Jan 12, 2019
I think I first played Disgaea 3, which I got really invested in, but never beat. D4 I got, but never beat due to college. Might have to find and dust off that copy and play it too.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Seraphic Neoman posted:

(though I despised D5's story)

D5 had a bad story but I liked half the cast enough that I still enjoyed it.

D6 had a better overall story but I didn't give a poo poo about most of the characters so I liked it a lot less.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

D6 was also just shallow as poo poo because it was set up as an auto battler and not a strategy rpg with heavy grinding options.

Takil
Jan 9, 2019
So this is my all-time favourite Disgaea game, and the Vita was my favourite way to play it (as I haven't bought the newest re-release yet, got enough other games). Having it portable was a great way to do the grind.

I beat it, did all the Post-game, and most of the other endings.

Valvatorez is the best, I love this dope so much.

Such a great game, looking forward to how you tackle it!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

FoolyCharged posted:

D6 was also just shallow as poo poo because it was set up as an auto battler and not a strategy rpg with heavy grinding options.

Out of interest, does anyone know if there's any difference between the PS4 and 5 versions of D6? Because one is 30 bux cheaper than the other and I'm not seeing anything that sets it apart

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I played the first 3, the second one I didn't care for because it seemed to have way too many moving parts, at least for engaging in the postgame. Didn't do much postgame stuff with 3.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Out of interest, does anyone know if there's any difference between the PS4 and 5 versions of D6? Because one is 30 bux cheaper than the other and I'm not seeing anything that sets it apart

The PS5 version is more expansive because they bundled in all the paid DLC with the base game and are selling it as one package.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

OhFunny posted:

The PS5 version is more expansive because they bundled in all the paid DLC with the base game and are selling it as one package.

The PS4 version apparently has all the DLC in it as well.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I saw some people talking about these games the other day and then fortuitously this LP started. I know nothing about any of them, although I feel like I've seen some of the things from this game pop up on the internet. Is there a specific timeline for the games? Or is the release order also the chronological order?

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

White Coke posted:

I saw some people talking about these games the other day and then fortuitously this LP started. I know nothing about any of them, although I feel like I've seen some of the things from this game pop up on the internet. Is there a specific timeline for the games? Or is the release order also the chronological order?

D2 is a direct sequel to 1, though it's also an alternate universe, and IIRC the Prinny spinoffs are also alternate universes to 1; there's also one game that's a prequel to 1 as well but you don't find that out until the ending 5. Otherwise, the release order is the same as chronological, though as noted there aren't a lot of ties between the games.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Prinny Exams & An Unforgettable Graduation Day!

I considered skipping over the tutorial sections or summarizing them, but decided to just go full-bore in this update. The Disgaea series has a lot of systems atop of systems that you don't see in other SRPGs and I want to show what makes this series unique from a mechanical standpoint.

We are now at our home base. Everything is closed at the moment, so let’s proceed through the Dimension Gate.

The Dimension Gate Guide in Disgaea 4 is named Meaver. Who we speak to to access the menu to select what Episode and Mission to play. A mission can be replayed as many times as you want.
If you’re wondering what the guy next to her with the big DLC icon above his head is about. He is the NPC you speak to to collect the real money micro transaction items to boost your levels, give you gold, etc you can buy.
Even in single player games there’s no escape... *sigh*

Be good kids or this could happen to you!

Yes, sir! Just as you ordered, dood!

Excellent! Now listen up, Prinnies! Today is your very last day in Hades!
You have all died and were sent to Hades… Why is that!?

(All in unison) Because we committed crimes, dood!

That’s right! You’re lowly criminals! And who educated you peons, who didn’t even know how to speak like a Prinny!?

Lord Valvatorez, dood!

Correct! I’ve raised you all to become great Prinnies, so that you can be shipped out to the Netherworld at any time!
Today is the day you’ve been waiting for! Today, you will go forth and work hard to pay for your sins!

This is the very last lesson (tutorial) I will give you!
Press Y if you’re confident enough. The battle will begin immediately.
Now, let the lesson begin.

[Tutorial: Battle Basics] First, bring the cursor to the Base Panel and press A.

If you pick the wrong one, move the cursor over to the character and press B to cancel the command.

If the map is hard to see, rotate your view counter-clockwise with LB or clockwise with RB.
You can change your point of view by pressing LB or RB while holding Down X.

That is much better.

Let’s learn to give commands to the summoned characters.
As you may already know, I like fighting enemies face to face. Therefore, I am moving next to the enemy.

Every Disgaea lead is a close range fighter. Their signature weapons are either swords or fists. Although they can be strong with other weapons.

There’s no cost in moving units within their movement range. So you are free to reposition a unit that you may have moved to the wrong spot. A change made from the original release is the ability to reposition even after you’ve queued up an action.

When the move is done, select the [Attack] command.

That’s all it takes to issue commands. Now, let’s execute the registered commands.
Bring up the Menu with Y and select [Execute or [End Turn]

That’s the flow of actions. Now remember, it’s just [Command → Y → Execute].

Why can’t we attack immediately, dood?

Hmhmhm…. Because you must also consider [Team Attacks] and [Combos] when you battle.
Let Fenrich and I show you an example of issuing two actions.
Come, Fenrich!

Yes, my Lord!

https://i.imgur.com/0bgM9JV.mp4

Whoa! Those were some intense attacks, dood! That was totally awesome!

Hmph… And there you have Team Attacks and Combos.
A Team Attack can activate when two to four allies are next to each other on the battle map.
Combos activate when consecutive attacks are aimed at a single target. The longer the Combo, the stronger each attack gets.

Even my Lord will be able to demonstrate up to one millionth of his original power if he utilizes these two actions well.

Exactly. Your ally members will take their actions in the order you assigned the commands to them.
Beginners should keep in mind the best way to connect beautiful Combos when they assign their commands.
You will not be able to cancel Attacks and Specials after they have been executed, so make sure you pay attention. Got that?

Aye aye, dood!

H-hey! If you do that now-!

Ahhh! Lord Valvatorez!

We might have to hold this one back from graduation...

Lord Val! drat you, Prinnyyy!!!

Calm down, Fenrich. My servant must not lose himself due to such insignificant circumstances.
Carelessly choosing [End Turn] may lead to these kinds of trouble. Keep that in mind, Prinny.

O-okay, dood! (Sir Fenrich would kill me for sure if I did that again, dood…!)

Even if you’re defeated, you can be revived at the Hades Infirmary.
So we won’t be dead forever, huh? What a relief, dood.

However, you will need to pay to be revived. Make sure you work hard enough, so that you’ll be worth reviving.

It costs HL to restore units HP, SP, and to revive them, but the upshot is you also get rewarded items after crossing certain thresholds for each category.

It will be Game Over if all of your summoned ally members are defeated.
However, you can rechallenge any map after losing, so feel free to use that low-level Prinny.
You can review this lesson by going to [Tutorial] from Main Menu.
That’s all for the first part of this lesson. Now, it’s time to train in an actual battle! Everyone, get in position!

That part about rechallenging any map after losing is mostly true. I’ll be showing off the exceptions in this Let’s Play.

After beating those Prinnies up we get the Stage Clear page which has the Bonus Gauge. This grants you bonus items based on how much you fill it.
It is filled by doing damage, kills, combo attacks, and Geo Chains you performed. We’ll get to that last one in this update.

The shops in every Disgaea game are owned by Rosen Queen Co. This is a callback to the shop one of the character’s parents own in Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure. The first SRPG Nippon Ichi made.

Good. Now I can work on my equipment.

Each character can equip up to one weapon and three equipment items.
The General Store mostly sells consumables, such as healing items, which you should always have handy.
By using equipment, you can customize your fighting style by either focusing on weapons or focusing on armor.

Got it. Let’s go stock up on equipment and healing items.

My Lord, one more thing… Please accept these funds.

100HL, huh? That’s a lot of money.

HmHmHm, we will be getting much more in thhe near future. All is for my Lord…

Let’s have a chat with Zommie, Jr. about the different types of weapons. He gives us the following information.

Humanoid units can wield seven different weapon types: Fists, Swords, Spears, Axes, Bows, Guns, and Staffs.

Fists: Close range weapons that have a higher chance to activate Team Attacks and increases the number of counter attacks a unit will perform by two. Their damage is depends on attack power (ATK) and speed (SPD). Their Weapon Skills push opponents from their positions.

Swords: All rounder weapon that depends on (ATK). Their Weapon Skills cover close and long range. Single and multi-target.

Spears: Able to strike from two panels away. Which makes them good for activating Team Attacks and continuing Chain Attacks. Their Weapon Skills consist mostly of area-of-effect and moves the user around. Depends on (ATK) and boosts defense (DEF).

Axes: The weapon with the highest power and critical hit rate at the cost of lowering the users SPD. Their Weapon Skills will lower the target’s DEF. Depends on ATK.

Bows: A long range weapon that can hit anything four panels from the user in all directions. Their Weapon Skills are mostly area-of-effect. Depends on ATK and accuracy (HIT).

Guns: A greater range than Bows, being able to hit up to five panels away, but can only be aimed in a straight line. Their Weapon Skills are mostly area-of-effect and lower the target’s SPD. Depends on HIT and SPD.

Staffs: Not much of a weapon on its own. They boost a unit’s intelligence (INT) and increase the range of the unit’s magic by one panel. They have no Weapon Skills.

Monster units only get two types of weapons. One for physical damage and another for magic damage.

Disgaea 4 uses the Weapon Forte system first introduced in Disgaea 3. The other games let any human unit master any weapon to the highest level with the only difference being the speed in which they progress toward mastery.
The Forte system more firmly locks you into using certain weapons. As units top out at different skill tiers.

Last thing before moving on are the ranks at the shops. As you buy from them your rank increases and this unlocks better and stronger weapons, armor, items. The rank is shared among the shops.

Please make sure to save before every battle. You never know what might happen.

...Fenrich, you worry too much. I’ve been careful with my saves, too.

Ah, haha, I apologize.
Since you’ve forbidden yourself from drinking blood, I’ve seen how you lost your powers, and that makes me want to point things out…

Hah… I have sardines. They’ve given me enough power without having to drink blood. Don’t worry, Fenrich.

For this part of the lesson, I will go over [Special Skills] and [Defense]!

Aye aye, dood!

[Tutorial: Special Skills] Special Skills can inflict more damage than normal attacks.
There are Character Skills and Weapon Skills. Character Skills can only be used by that character.
Weapon skills can be used by human-type units by obtaining Special Skills.
Just ask the Evility Shop in Hades later to learn more details about Special Skills.
Now, you shall see it for yourself. I’ll demonstrate my unique skill as an example.

https://i.imgur.com/6w16D7J.mp4

I'll be showing off the animations of the specials I think are the coolest or goofiest during this Let's Play.
Disgaea games have some of the flashiest pixel art for their special moveset.

Whoa! Lord Valvatorez, you’re so cool, dood!

Unlike normal attacks, you can’t activate Team Attacks with Special Skills, but can you can still create Combos.
Start a Combo with normal attacks or Team Attacks, and then add a Special Skill at the end to be more effective.
Now, moving on to [Defense].

You can protect an ally behind you from a Special Skill by selecting Defense.
Now watch me receive a Special Skill as I do a Defense in front of Fenrich.

Wh-what!? Sir Fenrich didn’t take any damage, dood!

Lord, you shouldn’t have done that for me…

If you use the Defense system wisely, you will be able to carry on a battle by protecting your damaged allies.

Will my Defense range get bigger if I’m trying to protect a cute girl, dood?

It’s time for battle! Protect the injured, and defeat the enemy with your Special Skills!

Aye aye, dood!
(So basically, we just have to defeat the enemies, right, dood?)

After beating up these poor saps we’re back at base.

“Evility” is short for “Evil Ability”. See what they did there?
Purchase? I have to pay for them?

Well, pay with Mana, to be exact. You will gain Mana by defeating enemies.
You can purchase new abilities at the Evility Shop.
I’ll go ahead and briefly explain about the special abilities known as Evilities.

In my case, Tyrant’s Slave is my unique Evility.
Another Evility can be learned through the Evility Shop by paying Mana.
Each Evility has a different effect, and requires a different amount of Mana.
That’s all from me. You can talk to the Evility Shop for more details regarding Evilities.

None of the current Evilities I could buy interested me, so I purchased the Blade Rush and Triple Strike Weapon Skills for Valvatorez and Fenrich instead.

With that done we can move on to the next lesson.

Sweet, dood!
In a real battle, enemies won’t always be within your reach.
Just like that, if you’re too far from an opponent, your attack isn’t going to reach. Do you know what to do in that situation?

Move as close as you can to an enemy, and then hit [End Turn], dood!

You fool! You’ll only end up receiving an attack from the enemy on their turn.
[Tutorial: Lift & Throw] Use [Lift] and [Throw] in order to reach an enemy that is far away or on higher ground.

...Hmm, looks like it’s too far to reach, even a Throw.

What do we do now, dood? Should we give up and End Turn?

It’s too soon to give up. ...Hmm, we might be able to use that box to compensate for the height.
Okay! Let’s use it.

It's perfect! We got so much closer to the enemy, dood!

As a reward for your enthusiasm, allow me to teach you another important technique that will come in handy.
[Tutorial: Towers] Life a character who is already lifting another character.

Lifting up multiple characters is called making [Towers] in the Netherworld.
Learn Special Skills that involve Towers at the Evility Shop, and start using powerful Tower moves.
And that’s it.
Lift, Throw, Stack and Tower…
Engrave those words into your memory.

If you lift multiple units and throw each of them in order, you can move farther.
That’s correct. There are man other useful tactics, but you will have to figure them out for yourself. I’m counting on you.
There are a few things to look out for when using these tactics. You will receive damage if you end your turn while lifting an enemy.
Another thing, Lift and Throw commands can only be used by human-type units and not by monster-type units.
Lastly, you Prinnies have a tendency of blowing up when you’re thrown…

Nothing new unlocked at home base, so straight into the last tutorial mission.

You got it, dood! We’re ready!

Do you know what these blocks and panels are on the map?

They’re Geo Blocks and Geo Panels, dood!
Geo Panels are pieces of land that possess spiritual elements, the building blocks of the Netherworld, dood!
Geo Blocks are the crystallized version of those spiritual elements!
...That’s what our textbook said, dood.

This Prinny must be top of the class.

[Tutorial: Geo Effects] One of the most effective fighting tactics is to use Geo Effects.
Geo Effect is the general term used to represent the effects caused by Geo Panels and Blocks.
Now, look at the colored panels, the Geo Panels, on the map.

Geo Blocks only appear in Disgaea 3 and 4. The other games call them Geo Symbols and they are shaped as triangles that units cannot stand on.

This means that when an enemy is on top of a blue panel, the enemy’s attack and defense stats increase by 50%.

It’s important to note that this boost is only effective on enemies.

Absolutely. This is a big disadvantage to us. In this case, what should we do, Prinnies?

(Multiple Prinnies)
I’d destroy all the blocks, dood!
I’d move the enemy off of the panel by throwing them, dood!
I’d lure the enemy off of the panel before I fight them, dood!

These are the smartest Prinnies I’ve seen in a Disgaea game

As expected of you Prinnies, who I have raised with great care.
You’re all to smart to be Prinnies.
However, there is another, better way.
You can destroy all the Geo Panels at once, if you use this tactic.
Let me teach you the way. Pay attention to this Geo Block.

“Change Green” means that when this Geo Block is destroyed, the Geo Panels it is on will change to the color green.
For example, if you destroy the Change Green Block on top of a Blue Panel, all other Blue Panels will change to Green Panels.

Don’t forget that while the Panels are changing colors, all allies, enemies, and Blocks on those Panels will receive damage.

Okay, dood. So we can destroy Geo Panels by changing their colors?

However, these color changing Blocksaren’t enough to destroy the Panels. You will also need a Null Block.

It’s currently sitting atop a Red Panel.
All the other red Panels will be destroyed if you’re able to destroy that Null Block.
By using this tactic…

I got it, dood!
All I gotta do is destroy the Null Block after changing all Panels to the same color!

These doods really are to smart to be Prinnies.

That is correct. You’re figured it out.
Conveniently enough, all of the Block and Panels on this map have been placed so that a perfect clear can easily be demonstrated.
To practice, use your creativity and knowledge to solve this map.

Okay, dood.
It's better for beginners to just change the colors one at at time until all of the Panels are the same color, right, dood?

You’ll also fill more of the Bonus Gauge by changing colors and nulling the panels.
With more Bonus, you’ll obtain greater bonus items after clearing the map. Now, get to it and do it as if your lives depend on it.

I wish I could get more sardines rather than Bonuses. Anyway, this is your final lesson! I wish you all luck!

There’s nothing to this map beyond throwing the green block onto a blue panel, destroying it, and watching the Geo Chain kill everything.

We immediately go to a cutscene on mission completion.

No matter what kind of masters you might serve, never forget your pride at being Prinnies from Hades!
And lastly…!
Keep in mind that any fool who messes up and gets sent back to Hades will be met with a brutal rehabilitation program!

Aye aye, dood!

Now that’s the kind of response I like to hear.
Allow me to fulfill the promise that I made to you.
You shall each receive one sardine! They were raised naturally, freshly caught this morning.

(Multiple Prinnies) Yeeah, dood!
Sweet, dood!
You da man, Lord Val, dood!

Hmhmhm, making such a ruckus over a single sardine… These Prinnies have been well deprived by our Lord.

Hmph… Now, Prinnies… Enjoy your sardine and go work hard under your future master-…

https://i.imgur.com/pBvSVmN.mp4
They should not have cut "Portals and How NOT to get sucked into them" from the Prinny training curriculum.

[Multiple Prinnies) Dood! Lord Valvatorez!
Are we shipping out already, dood!?
I haven’t even gotten to take a single bite out of my sardine yet, dood!

There is only one idiot who could do such a thing without your permission, my Lord… This must be his doing…

Gh… This is unacceptable! How am I going to keep the promise I made to the Prinnies!?
Let’s go, Fenrich! We need to get those Prinnies back!

Understood. All is for my Lord...

(That man… He’s nothing but a nuisance to my Lord.)
(...I must make my move now.)

Next Time on Disgaea 4: Local Teacher Takes A Stand For His Students.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I always found money to be really weird in Disgaea. Early on, your cash is pretty tight, especially due to healing costs. But after a certain point, it snowballs into irrelevance. By the postgame, it becomes worthless; nothing that costs money is worth buying.

Mana however, is man's inhumanity to man.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Seraphic Neoman posted:

I always found money to be really weird in Disgaea. Early on, your cash is pretty tight, especially due to healing costs. But after a certain point, it snowballs into irrelevance. By the postgame, it becomes worthless; nothing that costs money is worth buying.

Mana however, is man's inhumanity to man.

Same with the damage. Towards the end of the game and the entirety of the post-game, it becomes a case of 'how many hits will it take to kill someone'. The only bottlenecks are, as you say, Mana and, to a lesser extent, experience.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Now on Disgaea 4: Local Teacher Takes A Stand For His Students!

And off to rescue the Prinnies.

Axel first appeared in Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories as a secondary antagonist. He later got his own playable story scenario in the re-release Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days.

You… What do you think you're doing with those Prinnies? What do you expect me to do about the sardine situation?

Watch your month! Who do you think helped your worthless Vampire teeth after you lost all your power?
Before you start acting all Prinny Instructor-y, you should think carefully about your place here.

That’s why I’m asking you politely…
Give me back those drat Prinnies!

That’s not asking, that’s ordering! And you’re not being polite at all!
I’m the Warden of Hades! I control everything around here!
If you keep that attitude up, don’t think I won't lock you up, too.

I only want to keep the promise I made to the Prinnies. I have no intention of defying your power. Just shut and give them back.

Why don’t you get it!? I’m not giving the Prinnies back to you!

What...did you say? Are you telling me to break the promise that I made to the Prinnies!?

As a S-tier body language specialist. I can tell Axel is lying, but the signs are very subtle. Look closely and you too may notice him sweating, crying, trembling, and voice cracking in abject terror.

I’ve been through much worse and survived to get to where I am now! I’m Warden Axel!

If you...dare to refuse us, then we’ll have to resort to violence to force you to understand.

Agreed!
He who doesn’t understand words must be given physical discipline!
Prepare yourself, Warden Axel! You will learn that I have no intention of disobeying you!

Val is kind of an idiot.

We face off against Axel, his sidekick Pink from Disgaea 2, and three Masked Heroes. Axel’s Evility decreases damage taken from Humanoid units by 50%. Despite his resilience, he and his lackeys are easily swept aside.

...Didn’t you just beat the crap out of me? I may not be the sharpest tool in the shred, but don’t most folks consider that disobedience?

My only wish is to stay true to my word. Now, give me back the Prinnies.

Sorry, but that’s a no can do…
Because…
That’s the corrupternment’s will!

I don't know why, but I really enjoy the use of the word corrupternment, probably because it feels more direct then something like kleptocracy.

Oh, that…
Mass extermination of the Prinnies!
You get it, right? The rapid increase in the Prinny population is starting to be a major problem all over the Netherworld.
Food shortages, unemployment, noise complaints, increased accident rates, overpopulation, decreased test scores…
There are all the Prinnies’ fault.
The corrupternment has organized a special task force to get rid of them.
The Abaddon, a band of assassins brought together and under the command of none other than the Netherworld President himself…

The stakes just got raised rather high. Also this is some classic treating the symptoms and not the problem.

...Hmph, I’ve heard of them before.
They’re the Netherworld cleaners, getting rid of the corrupternment’s rubbish.

...I don’t see what the problem is.
What’s the point of feeding creatures that are about to be extinct?

Feeding them isn’t the point, you narrow-minded fool!
The promise has already been made!
Until I keep my promise, no one gets the Prinnies. I don’t care if you’re the corrupternment or...or even the President!

Careful there. If he doesn’t go about it in his usual moronic way. He might figure out you’re up to something Fenrich.

What is this? Is my faithful servant scared of a mere corrupternment?

Not even…
But I do have a mission of my own…
And in order to complete it, I can’t afford to lose you in a fight over such an insignificant matter, my Lord.

So you’re telling me to obey them?
And to break the promise I made?

All is for my Lord…

I am fully aware of your noble, yet ultimately futile philosophy.
However, please think back...about all of the things that you’ve lost, just to keep the promises that you’ve made in the past.
If only you let go of this futile philosophy of yours, you will be back on your throne as the invincible tyrant in not time…

...Let’s not talk about that.
Now come, Fenrich.
Before the Prinnies are disposed of.

Cam-pain HQ is a mechanics system that only appears in Disgaea 4. You can get structures and place them on a grid.
When your units are placed around these structures they gain certain effects that carry through every map.

Cam-pain HQ…?
I’m not trying to run for President…
Isn’t that a bit much?

HmHmHm, is that so? It’s always better to be safe than sorry…
All is for my Lord…

Good morning, Lord Valvatorez.
I have established the Cam-pain HQ, as requested by Sir Fenrich.
I will show you around the HQ whenever you’re ready.
Shall we?

The girl and doll are Pleinair and Usagi. (The doll speaks. She does not.) She has appeared in each of the Disgaea games, usually handling some system at the home base.
She is the personal mascot of Takehito Harada, the series’ artist.

It’s a very important place.
I will explain all the functions here, so please take a look at this map.

This is a map of the entire Netherworld…
One day, you will rule over all of this.

Rule?
I’m just a Prinny Instructor…
I don’t want to rule anything.

Hmhmhm...you are very modest.
My Lord, you will surely rule the Netherworld someday.
In other words, this is a future representation of the Netherworld.
All this land will be yours, my Lord!
As long as we keep winning battles, these areas will truly become your lands!

Is that decision even ours to make…?
...I fear you as my steward.

I shall take that as a compliment, my Lord.
Oh, and just so you know, once you actually rule an area, it will become even more useful for you, so please rule more lands, my Lord.
Now, allow me to explain further.
Place the units that you have created on the areas of the map.
Use the [Dispatch Evil Deputy] command to place your units on the areas.
This command can be accessed by pressing Y to open the Cam-pain HQ Menu.

A lot more features to be unlocked.

You can only place one unit on each land.
In order to create a new unit, you will need an open land, so keep that in mind.
Now, I will go ahead and explain the Senate hearings.

The Senate is a reoccurring system in the Disgaea series.

Please select the command [Senate Hearings].

Once you’ve selected a topic, the Senate hearing will begin.
To have your bill passed, you need more Ayes than Nays.

What if more Senators disagreed?
Do we simply give up?

Not always. If you’re confident enough, you can always win the vote through force.
Hmhmhm…

Look at you..
This doesn’t look like it’s going to be easy…

Politics never is Val.

Let’s increase our roster and recruit a Thief. Additional Monster classes will unlock as they are encountered and defeated.
Additional Humanoid classes are unlocked when certain requirements are met.
Masked Hero for example becomes available when you raise both a Warrior and Thief to level 25.

The more mana you can afford to spend, the more bonus stats the newly created unit receives. We then choose a personally type, name, and put the bonus stats into their aptitudes. A little intro movie plays for the unit on creation.

Let’s get back to it.

All of my effort’ll be a total waste if that happens…
I gotta take control of this situation before those fools really get outta hand…
...Huh?

These dudes teleport in.

You! Are you the Warden of Hades?

Y-yes, sir!
I am Axel, the Warden of Hades. I was personally appointed by the President!

We are the President’s special assassination task force.
Have you been briefed on the current situation?

Yeah, of course!
To make your jobs easier, I gathered all those worthless pieces of garbage into one area!
BBQ, boil, broil, bake, saute… Do whatever you want to ‘em!

Great.
I’m glad you’re making this easier for us.

And enter stage left...

I hope they’re as powerful as their namesake…

Hmhmhm…! Here you are again!
You’re like moths that singe their wings by flying too close to the fire!
Gentlemen of the special task force, they’re the anarchists who are trying to stop the Prinny extermination!
Over here! Please, exterminate all the annoying rats, too!

Huh…?
What are you doing…?

We received an anonymous tip about possible anarchist activity…
...About a Warden those love for Prinnies has driven him to public expressions of dissent against the corrupternment.

Pink with the double facepalm over there.

You’ve already confessed, said ou were aware of the situation, and were eager for us to enforce the punishment.

Y-you!
How dare you do this to me!?

Fenrich’s such a sly dog.

Is that right?
I never suspected that you cared so much about the Prinnies…
Warden! I accept and understand your passion toward the Prinnies!

...Therefore, it has been decided.
The warden is an anarchist.

What shall we do, my Lord?
He appears to be in need of our assasstance.

Is there any doubt!?
We can’t possibly forsake a man of such passion!

...I knew you were going to say that.

Y-you guys…will help me…?
W-wait a second! This is all just a mistake in the first place!

Next time on Disgaea 4: A Warden’s Burning Passion! Rebellion for the Prinnies!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Valvatorez is a man who does what he sets his mind to, come hell or high water.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's also noted he does not care at all about the Prinnies. If he had given away his sardines, he would be perfectly fine with letting them die.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I see they've already begun playing full contact Australian rules Idiot Ball, as is right and proper for Disgaea.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's also noted he does not care at all about the Prinnies. If he had given away his sardines, he would be perfectly fine with letting them die.

Well yeah, they're Prinnies. Who cares about them.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
What's important is honoring the sardines and keeping his own honor. In that order

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Valvatorez is all about the promises.

Also would be nice if Disgaea D2 came out on PC or something.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Man, I was expecting warden axel to be a reoccurring villian, but it turns out he's a real hero. Such passions!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Prinnies are the soul of sinners being punished for their sins, with their time as a prinny determined by the severity of the sins they have to pay for.

Nobody cares about them. Nobody. Heaven itself treats them like poo poo.
Actually this is Disgaea so let me rephrase with better references. The "love fool" from Disgaea 1 has no trouble with how prinnies are treated.

FeyerbrandX posted:

I see they've already begun playing full contact Australian rules Idiot Ball, as is right and proper for Disgaea.

We're the main characters in a Disgaea game, my Lord.
We'll be the corruptenment by chapter four. Five at the latest.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Can you grind the sardines to higher levels?

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Decoy Badger posted:

Can you grind the sardines to higher levels?

Yes, but you have to grind each sardine individually.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Are the sardines sardines, or the souls of evil sardines?

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Oh hey A new Disgaea LP I was wondering if we would see any more of those after Fienne seemingly vanished. I hope they are doing okay wherever they are.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
I always liked how Val and Fenrich play off each other in this game. Val is just completely insane (even compared to a Disgaea protagonist) and Fen is absolutely shameless in his manipulation.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Now on Disgaea 4!: A Warden’s Burning Passion! Rebellion for the Prinnies!

We now face off against two Bouncers and three Slumber Cats. Warden Axel and Pink back us up as non-controllable allies.
I threw the purple Geo Block on the bottom right onto the field and smashed it. The chain damage killed one of the Slumber Cats and damaged the other two.
Axel finished one off and Fenrich the other. Now outnumbered 5 to 1 the Bouncers stood no chance.

Just so you know, we are subordinates of the Warden. We’re not allowed to disobey his orders. That’s the only reason we fought.
Be sure to include that in your report to your superiors.

What!? N-no!
This is a mistake!

The assassination squad teleports out.

...Well now, that must have been the Abaddon scouting crew.
What shall we do now, my Lord?

Attack the Abaddon main forces!
We will keep fighting for the release of the Prinnies!

Very well, let’s hurry, before the corrupternment receives word about the Warden’s rebellion.

On to the next fight.

I came to see for myself what kind of idiots would come up with such a stupid idea, but you guys don’t look like you’re worth the effort!

Who is this impudent whelp?

Listen up, rascal. This place is about to become the historical site of a bloody battle. You should leave before you get hurt.

You idiots!
Don’t you know who I am!? I’m Death Emizel!
I am the Abaddon Commander! I’m in charge of the assassination task force run by the President!
I’m also his one and only son! The blood of the greatest lineage in the Netherworld flows through my veins!
Now, kneel before Emizel!

(What!? The President’s son!? This is my chance!)

Allow me to kneel before you!
I’ll even lick our high tops!

A clever move by the Warden. He's pretending to be a spineless loser with no self-respect to lure the Abaddon into a false sense of security.

...Hey, what’s wrong with you?
Why aren’t you groveling on your knees like this guy?

You can’t even figure that out for yourself?
Fine...I suppose I can spare the time to explain it to you.
Your father is the Netherworld President because he earned it with his own power and abilities.
It has nothing to do with you.
Your prestigious bloodline comes from your ancestors’ efforts.
It has nothing to do with you.

Hmhm…
That was a bit harsh.
He is a mere whelp, my Lord.

Y-y-you...better check yo self before you wreck yo self!
Don’t you...don’t you fear the name of the President!?

Absolutely not!
There are only two things in this entire world that I fear!
Small sardine bones that get stuck in my gums...and breaking promises!
The President is neither one of them!

Gh…! That’s wack!
I don’t have time for this!
Hey guys, just kill ’em!

We’re introduced to two new mechanics here.

The first is Fusion.

The second is Magichange. That cat is now a gun.

..!?
Wh-what the hell is that!?
It’s a giant monster…!
And another one has become a weapon!

Magichange and Demon Fusion…
Special commands that can only be used by monster-type units.
With these commands, monster-type units will become more useful and will broaden our battle tactics.
[Tutorial: Magichange]
Magichange is when a human-type unit equips a monster-type unit that morphed into a weapon.
This time, Sardine Thief Catsaber will go ahead and show us Magichange.
Have the Catsaber select the Magicange command and choose a partner to Magichange with.

Catgun.

...Just like that, Sardine Thief Catsaber has turned into a very convenient weapon.
What weapon the monsters will turn into depends on their race, so you should also keep that in mind for strategy purposes.
The power of the Magichanged weapon depends on the monster’s stats. The stronger the monster, the stronger the weapon will be.
Now, let’s try attacking.
We’ll use a Special Skill that’s only available during a Magichange.

Temporary use of monster’s Evility
Magichange Skills become available
Both characters gain EXP.

The disadvantage is that there is a time limit:
-It can only be used for 6 turns. And, the two units count as one.
-After the time limit is up, the character who Magichanged will disappear, and won’t be able to fight again in that same battle.

But after that, a slot for the dispatched units will open up again, allowing you to dispatch another unit in place of it.
The monster character that disappeared will come back after the battle ends. So, no need to worry. Rest assured, my Lord.
If the human-type unit with the Magichanged weapon is defeated during battle, both units will be considered KO’d, so please be careful.

I never though monster-type units could be such useful tools.

Hmhmhm…
All you have to do now is to level up your monster allies and make them learn the Skill. Now, moving on to Demon Fusion.
[Tutorial: Demon Fusion]
Demon Fusion is done when multiple monster-type units unite with each other.
Demon Fusion can be done with monsters of the same or different races.
We’ll use two Prinnies this time. First, move one Prinny. Next, move the second Prinny next to the first Prinny.
Select the [Fusion] command, and choose a partner to fuse with.

Chungus Prinny

Whoa! The two Prinnies have become a single giant Prinny!
…I see, so this is Demon Fusion.

Demon Fusion also has advantages and disadvantages, my Lord.
[Disadvantages to Fusing]
-Fusions consume SP every turn. When a unit’s SP reaches 0 the fusion will end.
-Fused monsters take up five panel spaces in the shape of a cross. Again, please keep track of your SP.
-If one of the fused monsters has already moved, they will not be able to move again. The same goes for using skills or attacks.

Notice the Prinny has pushed Val forward.

This can also be used as an advantage, depending on how you use it, since the effect is the same for allies and enemies.
[Demon Fusion: Advantages]
The biggest advantage of Demon Fusion is that you gain a wider range of attack.
Without Demon Fusion, this attack’s range has become three panels.
On top of all that, if you use Magichange with Demon Fusion…

What will happen?

That’ll be a surprise, my Lord.
Please, try it out for yourself sometime.
Hmhmhm…
All is for my Lord...

Giant Magichange is something that will unlock in the Cam-pain HQ later. Along with Dual Magichange. These can be combined so a Humanoid unit can dual wield giant units as Magichanged weapons.

With that long tutorial done we can get to the fight. Three Orcs, two of which fuse into a Giant Orc. Two Slumber Cats, one of which Magichanges into a gun. Two Bouncers. There’s not much to write home about. The red panels can be given an Ally 50%+ boost that let’s us rollover everything here.

The kid’s actually starting to cry...

Hmph. My Lord’s strength is unquestionable.
That’s because he is the-

...Say what?

You want to know the secret to my power?
It’s the sardines.
Eat them and you will get stronger, as well.

What are you talking about!?
Why would I eat sardines? You dumb bastard! I hate fish!
...Dammit!
Let’s get back to the main force!
Listen up, this ain’t over!
I’ll get you next time for sure! You got that!? Next time!

They have an ominous-sounding name, but as far as I could tell, they’re just babysitters for that insufferable brat.

The Netherworld has become quite a tepid place while I was away…

(Lord, you have no idea…
How much this Netherworld has fallen.
That is why…
You must now take over the Netherworld…
...All is for my Lord.)

Hmph.
And how dare you bark that nonsense after running away like a coward…

Urgh!
...Seems like you guys still don’t know your place! This is your last chance!
Either apologize and surrender, or take a beating and surrender!
The choice is yours!
Either way, your rebellion ends here, with me laying the smack down upon you!
So take your pick, now!

(...This is it! I won’t get a better chance than right now!
I better not miss it!)
I don’t wanna die yet!

Wow!
Everyone, look over there!
The Warden is determined to take the head of his archenemy, Death Emizel!

Axel was ahead of curve with the shockedpikacu.png face.

He’s going to risk his own life for the Prinnies!
His passion is indubitable!
It’s enough to bring tears to my eyes!

Does he care for the Prinnies that much!?
I won’t say a thing, Axel!
Take him down so they can play your victory music!

Axel's theme, White Tiger, is really good.

Huh!?
Is he coming after me!?

N-no, It’s a-!
It’s a mista-
Ahhhhh!!!

Ahhhhhh!!!

Axxxeeelll!!!

https://i.imgur.com/xLTSvgj.mp4
Soft and sad piano music plays as Warden Axel, the Dark Hero of Disgaea 2, dies.
I think it's safe to say his last thoughts were for the Prinnies.

You rascal…!
How could you do that to Warden Axel!?

I-I’m sorry! I wasn’t thinking…
But, wait… This ain’t right!
My weapon shouldn’t…

Rascal please, we’re trying to mourn our fallen leader here.

Prinnies…?
You guys are rebelling against the corrupternment for the Prinnies!?

Yeah, so?

Are you stupid!?
Prinnies are just the rotten souls of humans!
How could you risk your lives for them!?
You’re totally wack! This is ridiculous!

Say what!?

Allow me to explain!
There is a path that I must follow, no matter what others say to me!
The path to believing in myself!
This battle isn’t about the Prinnies…
This battle is about keeping the promise that I made…
This is a battle for sardines!

Alternative Ending: Emizel Victorious.

Disgaea games always have multiple non-standard endings based on certain criteria. The first of which in Disgaea 4 is right here if you lose to Death Emizel. Let’s see how that plays out.

My Lord mustn’t let such an insignificant setback get to him…!

I...I won, right?
This is Sir Emizel’s victory!? Mission complete!?
Sweeeeeeet!!!
A’ight, I did it, Pops!

Why is he so happy?
Is it that exciting to have beaten us?

...This must be the first time the whelp has completed a mission, ever.

That ain’t true!

… Sounds like you were right, Fenrich.

Shut up, shut up, shut up!
You should be more concerned about your future! You’ll pay for treating me like crap!
You better prepare yourself for this!
First, we’ll start with tickle torture for three days and three nights, no breaks!
There’s no way out of this for you!

drat whelp…!

Hey now, you guys are the losers.
You’re in no position to call me whelp, or rascal.
Call me Sir Emizel.
The only son of the President, Sir Emizel!
Now, say it!
You pathetic rebelling losers!

Gh…!
Sir...Emizel…!

What was that? I can’t hear you! Say it louder!

Hmmm…
Hahahaha…!
Ahhh-hahahahaha!
I knew it! I can do anything if I put my mind to it!
I just didn’t do it before because I didn’t want to!
But I’m gonna keep doing it from now on!
I’m gonna do it!

Well that’s a bummer.

An important note is while this is a non-standard ending. It is still an ending, so you’re placed at the start of Cycle 2 (New Game Plus) and at the very beginning of the game. Don’t override your save file!

Now back on the proper timeline. We’re faced with four Bouncers, two Clerics, and Death Emizel. Emizel packs a surprising amount of punch. He is a magic user who’s Evility increases magic damage by 50% when targeting a single unit. He’s positioned on the high ground, extending the range of his magic attacks and he likes to cast Fire. Which is the elemental Val is weak to. He does not move however, so we'll exploit that and lure the Bouncers outside of his range. The Clerics will move forward to help them. This leaves him isolated once they're dealt with and easy to take down.

Gh! Why should I…? Why should I do that!?
You know that the Prinny population has grown so large, it’s causing a buncha problems in the Netherworld, don’tcha!?
First of all, Prinnies are straight up criminals! Who cares if they’re gone!? What’s the big deal!?
It takes a Prinny hundreds of years to pay off its sins!
The whole Netherworld’ll be destroyed at this rate!
That’s why we hafta get rid of ‘em! There’s no other way!

Fenrich.

Yes, my Lord. As you command.

...Don’t relax just yet.
The corrupternment has decided to exterminate all Prinnies.

What!? A-a-are you serious, dood?
...But you’re gonna help us, right?

I promised to give each of you a sardine, but once that promise is fulfilled, what happens next is none of my concern.

N-no way, dood!
You gotta help us!

Unfortunately, my schedule is all booked up.
I don’t have time to be meddling with you Prinnies.

S-so, just what is it that you hafta do, dood!? Can it really be more important than our lives!?

Naturally! I have to go straighten up our irresponsible President and our rotten corrupternment!

What, dooooood!?

The corrupternment are the real idiots!

Huh!?

The reason why the Prinnies are increasing is because the corrupternment has slacked off on scaring the humans to keep them in line.
Exterminating the Prinnies while putting themselves on a pedestal isn’t going to solve anything in the long run.
This place will soon be filled with the souls of rotten humans once again…

W-well, that’s…

If the corrupternment can’t even see that, then we’re headed for a worldwide crisis.

That whole exchange hits even harder now in 2022 then it did in 2011.

W-we know that you care a lot about the Netherworld, dood!
But you should think about us and help us out, dood! As our Prinny Instructor!

What could possibly be bothering you, my Lord?
The Prinnies aren’t worth saving.

Wh-what, doooooood!?

You are left with only two options, so choose whichever you like: Get exterminated by the corrupternment…
...Or become our Lord’s loyal vassals.

Hmm...I won’t let the corrupternment exterminate you, if you become my vassals. I’ll promise you that.
...However, being my vassals won’t be easy. But I’m sure you’ll be able to pay off your sins much faster.

...You heard that, didn’t you, rascal? Now run along home and tell your father…
“If your rotten brain has forgotten the spirit that makes proud demons, I, Valvatorez, shall make you remember!”

Ah...ugh…

He teleports out.

Axel...I promise you, right here, right now, that I’ll never forget the passion and bravery that led you to your death.
Farewell, Axel. Take this as my tribute to your memory…

A sardine head.
I heard they are used to repel evil in some parts of the Human World.

That might be taken as an offense, rather than a kind offer…
..Oh well.

These dudes suddenly teleport in.

I just consulted the Anime Power Ranking chart and little girl with baseball is in fact a tier higher than spoiled half-pint mage.

Next time on Disgaea 4: Teenage Dreams!

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 23, 2022

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

I think this is my first time noticing the shadowed figures in Emizel's credits. Obviously, the real villains are very disconcerted by the strange turn things have taken.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Valvatorez.jpg

MightyPretenders posted:

I think this is my first time noticing the shadowed figures in Emizel's credits. Obviously, the real villains are very disconcerted by the strange turn things have taken.

I just realized I completely forgot who the villains are this game.
I do remember a lot of plot beats though and most* the main playable characters.
*I won't say all just in case

Wasn't magichange three turns back in 3 by the way?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Omobono posted:

Wasn't magichange three turns back in 3 by the way?

Depends on the version. It was 2 turns in D3 on the PS3 and then bumped to 3 for the Vita version.

It was also 3 turns for D4 on the PS3 and doubled to 6 for Vita and later versions.

edit: Then back to 3 turns in D5 and then Magichange is gone in D6.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 23, 2022

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
So is losing to Emizel and getting this ending likely to happen if you don't know what you're doing, or do you basically have to throw the fight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Sum Gai posted:

So is losing to Emizel and getting this ending likely to happen if you don't know what you're doing, or do you basically have to throw the fight?

I would say it is likely to happen if you're a new player.

The leveling system in the Disgaea series (until 6) is a feast or famine affair. A unit doesn't get exp and mana if they aren't the one landing the killing blow. Except for healers.

This can make it easy to fall into a feedback loop where your strongest units are always the ones landing the killing blow. So you end up with an unbalanced team of a few powerful units and a bunch of useless under-leveled units.

I think new players can easily fall into this loop.

It happened to me when I went and did the fight for a second time and actually lost for real. Val, Fen, and the Warrior were at the right level or higher. The rest of the team were very under-leveled. The Thief and Prinnies were still at level 1 and with crappy weapons. They simply got one-shot after hitting for 0 damage.

I had go outfit them with better equipment and do some of the earlier maps to bring them to a useful level.