Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

quote:

Neat, a Legend of the Galactic Heroes reference. (There's probably other stuff that I don't get.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

NGDBSS posted:

Neat, a Legend of the Galactic Heroes reference. (There's probably other stuff that I don't get.)

Desco saying she wants a space battleship or super robot are likely references to Space Battleship Yamato and Voltron.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Wish they had brought some flying vehicles from Makai Kingdom to get to the moon.
I guess they had no HD sprites for them, though.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

update posted:

That's an insanely risky gamble Val.

Eh, not really. They really have three options here:
1) Let the aliens destroy the moon
2) Smash the box and accept the risk everything gets destroyed anyways
3) Try to come up with a better plan

1 is guaranteed failure, 2 is a chance of failure, and 3 is the best potential solution, but can be ruled our due to certain time constraints. Val is right to call the group out for hemming and hawing at a slam-that-button level of decision.

The odds could be a million to one they survive and smashing it would still be the only sane choice because the alternative is a million to none.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Sometimes calling heads and hoping is the only choice.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Now on Disgaea 4!: Explosive Results.

I trust her to know what she's talking about. Her father is a Mad Scientist after all.

That must be it! But how are we…?

Destroy it, Desco!

Huh? Desco…?
Sure, but as a final boss, Desco should build up enough power over time to destroy it with one big bang type of thing…

No Desco! That's what heroes do and those attacks usually fail!

Hurry up!
Just use a beam or something and destroy that thing already!

S-sorry! Desco is on it!

Too late now. As aliens teleport in to thwart us.

I have no intention of being called suspicious by some parasites on the moon! Do it, Desco!

Don’t move!
We have no choice but to take appropriate measures, if you keep interfering with us!
If you really wish to stop the device, you must submit a claim to the Office of Lunar Devices and go through the official channels!

Are they out of their minds…?
There’s no time for “official channels”! The moon is gonna blow up!

Maybe we can tie this whole, "blow the moon up" down in legal appeals forever? No? Well it was a thought.

Unable to process.
The Earth has agreed to this as well. What is the emergency?

The Earth agreed!? No way!
Nobody on Earth would ever agree to this!

Well, that may be...however, we’ve already received approval from the ruler of Earth.

The ruler…!? You mean, Judge Nemo!?
Then this was all planned by him after all!

No, that is incorrect.

No? Then who approved of this?

What did you say!?

The hell does that mean!? What’s a consensus…?

Basically, many aliens all over the universe have agreed to destroy the moon and drive human beings to extinction.

Are you serious!?
Why would stupid aliens decide to do that!? I won’t allow it!

When you exterminate pests in your house, do you ask the pests for their permission?

As if humans were the pests of the universe…
I couldn’t agree more with that sentiment, but not with the destruction of the moon!
The moon shouldn’t be sacrificed to kill the human infection!

That is why I’m going to turn the Human World into Hades and re-educate them!

Geez...with friends like these...

We’re being treated as pests by demons and aliens…

Humans don’t need the power of aliens! What they need is Hades and reformation!
That being said, I don’t care whether it is the consensus of the Supreme Conference or not! I have no intention of obeying you!

U-unable to process!
Are you going to oppose the entire universe!?

I sure will!
And I’ll keep opposing you until you bastards change your decision!

Nothing to interesting here. We need to rely on units with ranged spells to destroy the No Entry Blocks to advance across the map. The Androids easy fall before us.

Excellent! The device has been destroyed…! Now…

What’s gonna happen to us!? Please, no black hole…!

If it goes out of control and creates a black hole...everything will be over!

Don’t worry about it! This is my dream, guys!

Calm your rear end down, lass.
Aren’t you the girl who aims to take over the world?

Well…
That was back when I was five…

Hmhm, sometimes I really admire how strong you guys are in times of crisis.
(Lady Archangel… Please grant us protection…!)

My Lord…
Looks like we’ve won our bet.

Hmph.
We’ve successfully stopped the destruction of the moon…

You can’t stop the destruction until you turn that off, too!

This man...how did he come to the moon, even though he’s human!?

He was visiting the Netherworld, too.
I’m sure he has ways to get to the moon.

Judge Nemo…
I heard you approved this plan.

Hey, you!
How dare you approve this without my consent!

Now, now, calm down. Humans are destined to go extinct.
They’re nothing but pests of the universe, so naturally, aliens have decided to exterminate them.

Well, the only thing they wanna get rid of are the humans. They’re gonna reuse the Earth later, so they don’t wanna make a big mess.

Recycling a planet! Whoa, aliens think on such a large scale!

But destroying the moon will affect more than just the humans. Didn’t they think about that?

We’re talking about a universal scale here. I’m sure they don’t care if a small sacrifice has to be made.
Some workers were even complaining about how much of a pain it would be to exterminate only the humans.

No… That’s horrible…

That’s when Judge Nemo came around. Destroying the moon would’ve been done a long time ago, but I held it off for a while.
I convinced them at the Supreme Conference that my plan would work better, and it would cause less damage to the Earth.
It wasn’t all that hard to convince the universe to go with my plan, since it was gonna end with the same results. But…
You guys ruined my Earth-friendly plan…

And that’s why the moon is getting blown up!?
Why are you trying to pin this all on us!?

This discussion is pointless. We have no intention of destroying the moon or the Earth.
No matter what aliens intend to do by playing God, we’re not going to give in so easily.
I won’t allow some aliens to evaluate and judge the future of our worlds!

Yeah, but…
Valvatorez, aren’t you doing the exact same thing? Judging and evaluating?

You and Val have very different methods and end goals in mind when it comes to humanity Nemo. I don't think you can pull the old "we're not so different," here.

But the scale of the Supreme Conference is much, much bigger than yours…

Watch you filthy mouth, human. No matter how big the scale is, it doesn’t matter if it’s wrong.
My Lord is offering to help those “pests” that were forsaken by some moronic aliens. That’s the scale of a true ruler. A ruler who only knows how to discard…
You’re placing your inadequacies on a pedestal and posing as a god… How irritating. My Lord’s absolute violence will surely break that rotten scale of yours, and your incompetent simpletons.
And let the universe know… The legitimacy of Tyrant Valvatorez’s scale!

Well said, Fenrich.
...You flatter me.

Hmph…
Demons preaching about righteousness, huh? This is just sad.
It’s as if I’m watching a bad comedy.

Still, I agree with them.
Fuka Kazamatsuri totally supports Valzy.

Desco gives her support to Mr. Valzy, as well!
Forget those unknown aliens!

As a representative of the Netherworld, I support him as well. I’m sure Father feels the same way, too.

By Celestial Law, angels are forbidden to support demons…
But...I support Mr. Vampire as well…
...As an individual.

Hmph… Hmhmhm…
Well, then I have no choice but to respond to all of your support.
I promise all of you here… I will stop the destruction of the moon and save the Earth!

That's not misspelling of manifesto. Val actually says "man-a-fist-o". Because he's going to deliver it with his fists.

A demon will save the Earth?
Sure, go ahead and try it. And then realize how useless you really are…!
You won’t save a single soul, just like that one time…!

That one time…?
What was he talking about?

Next time on Disgaea 4!: The Lady Archangel...

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Apologizes for the long wait. I decided to sit down and finish the game and (most of) the post-game in a big burst over a few days and burned myself out there for a while on Disgaea 4.

I now understand why Feinne did not wish to do this.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Well we certainly know how to escalate things, now don't we.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Sardine man, sardine man. Power of the fish is awesome man. Got in a fight with universe man. Sardine wins, Sardine man.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Surprised the girls haven't come up with cutesy couple nicknames for Val and Fenrich yet to tease them with. Fenzy?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

While they're all in favour of having fun with yaoi googles* they also know Vulcanus thirsts for Valvatorez something fierce, so Fuuka and Desco are kinda confused on which ship to seriously crew**.

*less googles and more accurately observing how Fenrich behaves
**This is a sentence I wrote :suicide:

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

OhFunny posted:

Apologizes for the long wait. I decided to sit down and finish the game and (most of) the post-game in a big burst over a few days and burned myself out there for a while on Disgaea 4.

I now understand why Feinne did not wish to do this.

I'm fairly certain I never got around to completing the postgames for any Nippon Ichi game, since even the most grind streamlined of them still has ridiculous amounts of grind locked behind either just timesinks or RNG spite.

Life is too short to try clearing 100 floors of an item dungeon in one sitting for some minute chance of a super ultra rare drop.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I came close with Disgaea 1, and I think I did 100% Phantom Brave. But anything else? Way too much. I think I got to the land of carnage once in Disgaea 2, but seeing how much arbitrary padding with that, item world, pirates, and on and on and on was too much for me.

Also can I say just how irritating Nemo is as a primary antagonist?

"We just beat this guy and you're just standing there, we can beat you!"
"Nu-uh" *just leaves*
"Well... okay"
Repeat 3 times.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

FeyerbrandX posted:

I came close with Disgaea 1, and I think I did 100% Phantom Brave. But anything else? Way too much. I think I got to the land of carnage once in Disgaea 2, but seeing how much arbitrary padding with that, item world, pirates, and on and on and on was too much for me.

"Nu-uh" *just leaves*
"Well... okay"
Repeat 3 times.

That almost feels intentional, especially given how whiny and obnoxious sounding his ca plays him. He's incredibly grating.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
I don't really like Nemo. He feels like the worst villain in the series. Although to be perfectly honest it feels to me like the story sort of falls apart after chapter 7.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

megamariox posted:

I don't really like Nemo. He feels like the worst villain in the series. Although to be perfectly honest it feels to me like the story sort of falls apart after chapter 7.

But you know what don't fall apart? Sardines!

Unless they're canned, but at that point you put them on crackers because they're delicious and nutritious!

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

dotchan posted:

I'm fairly certain I never got around to completing the postgames for any Nippon Ichi game, since even the most grind streamlined of them still has ridiculous amounts of grind locked behind either just timesinks or RNG spite.

Life is too short to try clearing 100 floors of an item dungeon in one sitting for some minute chance of a super ultra rare drop.

...except that it isn't RNG based (at least, not in a "rare drop" manner). The Item God (or Item God 2; been a while and I can't recall if there's a difference there) of any equipment always* has the next tier version of the item equipped at Rarity 50. The only RNG is that you have to steal it off of them because they don't drop it as loot; so just swarm them with unarmed Thieves so the Item Gods don't kill themselves prematurely via counters.

Grinding the equipment to max stats once you have it does take a while, I grant you that.

*unless you're already at the top tier, in which case it's that tier (still Rarity 50, though)

NullBlack fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 27, 2023

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

FeyerbrandX posted:

"Nu-uh" *just leaves*
"Well... okay"
Repeat 3 times.

Honestly A LOT of Disgaea games have this problem.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
You have to justify fighting through multiple maps somehow.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Now on Disgaea 4!: The Lady Archangel...

Hmm...That was pretty easy.
It’s all thanks to my dream, I guess.

Hmhm, this must be the result of all of my daily good deeds.

Say what you will, Thief Angel…

Well, finding this might not really be a good thing.
It could be the retribution for our evildoings.

D-don’t try to scare us!
We don’t have much choice, anyway! Let’s just get rid of this thing!

Hmph...Look at him talk…
And to think, he used to be a wimpy rascal.

Resistance is futile!
If you surrender now, we will spare your life!

Hmph.
Why would we believe you when you’re trying to kill all life on a planet? The word “life” has no meaning, coming from your mouth.
You would never understand that there are some things which are more important than life… Even if I took the time to explain it…
But this moon...which you’re trampling all over with your filthy ego, is precisely one of those things to me!

Just a straight fight against the enemies guarding the device. Nothing to write home about.

This is the crossroad of our lives…

If a black hole is created…

Then that’s that. We’ll just destroy the black hole.

Physicists everywhere having a vein burst.

A black hole will NOT be created! Desco believes this!

Yeah! So many things happened, but…
There won’t be anything short of a happy ending to my dream! The humans will live!

Lady Archangel…!
Please give us your blessings…!

The device explodes and...

Yes! It’s a success!

No black hole…
Whew, nothing happened.

I’m so glad…
Our prayers have reached the heavens.

It wasn’t your prayer. It was all our Lord’s power.

It wasn’t mine. It was all of ours.

Either way, I’m happy for you, Fenfen. Your precious moon has been saved at last.
...By the way, you said something about the moon being the symbol of your loyalty…
What was that all about?

Hmph. Did you think I’d tell you the story if you asked me in the midst of our excitement?

H-hey, you drat lass! Stop that!

Hey, Valzy ♪

About the moon and Fenrich?
Oh, you want to know the story about when the two of us met. Fenrich had been struck with a critical injury for Werewolves…

Oh, uh huh?
Sounds interesting ♥

My Lord! This story involves revealing the Werewolves’ weakness! That’s not something you should share with angels!

Okay, so it’s fine if demons know it?

The final boss wants to know, too! Please!

No way!

There’s a shudder and the screen shakes.

It’s an earthquake! Wait, what!? An earthquake on the moon!?
Does that make it a moonquake…?

Could this be…?
The effect of the ignition device…!?

Yup, you were correct!
The reactor core is now going out of control because the devices are all gone!

S-so then...there is gonna be a black hole!?

Probably. If things continue to go well, then a black hole should definitely be created.

“Go well!?” This SUCKS!

Really? It’s a good thing for me. I guess we see things from different perspectives, huh?
So, whatcha gonna do, Valvatorez? You can’t save Earth now! Didn’t you make a promise… Or what did you call it? A manifisto?
Hmhmhm… You might wanna take it back before it’s too late.

Oooh, you’re so cool.
...But how are you gonna do that? The reactor core’s gone kaput, you know?

Then I’ll just destroy the reactor core.

The plan is simple: smash everything until the problem is fixed.

So simple, yet so brave!
You might actually be able to, Tyrant Valvatorez!

This guy...is very annoying!

Thread's with you on that Desco.

So you’re daring me? Following through with my campaign promises is my motto. I will stop the reactor core.
Also, let me take this opportunity to declare one more thing.
...Judge Nemo. I will take you to Hades with my own hands.
I will re-educate you, and beat some sense into that twisted mind of yours.

Hmhmhm, I’ll keep that in mind.

My Lord, that attitude of his…
He must be hiding something…

Don’t worry, Fenrich.
Your master will definitely keep his promise to save the moon.

Yes. I always have faith in my master, Lord Valvatorez…

This map 9-4 will be an important grinding map later.
As for now we'll move our melee units into the Geo Panel field and try to block enemy units from getting onto the Geo Panels to avoid them getting that 50% boost. Our ranged units will stay on the outer edge and knock them down with their skills.

This must be the reactor core.
Now...how should we go about this?

You’re the ones who’re being reckless here!

We have to stop this thing!

We’re working on that, right now.
We’re making sure the reactor core holds up until the black hole is created.

...Wait, are you guys trying to create the black hole!?

Yes. It’s our duty to destroy the humans.

What about recycling the planet?
A black hole will destroy Earth…

Who knows? We’re just following the orders that were given to us.

The Supreme Conference would rather destroy the humans at any cost, than try to preserve Earth.

Well, I can’t stand to see our worlds get destroyed by their stupid faces.
Let’s go everyone! We’ll keep destroying stuff until the reactor core is silenced!

I really don't have much to say hear. I just bunched everyone up and marched forward killing every enemy unit in the way in short order.

Um, I’m not sure…
We’re not rocket scientists…

I wish we had a bookworm-type character on our team for times like this…

Sorry Fuka, Nippon Ichi won't invent the critical Smart Guy party slot until Disgaea 5.

I’m good with battle schemes and conspiracies, but when it comes to science…

Please, God, Or Lady Archangel…
Please save the world…!

Nemo!

Looks like the super-gravitational field that was created by the reactor core is gone now.

Then…? We did it!
I have no idea what that meant, but we did it, right!?

Yes! The creation of the black hole has successfully been stopped!

Now what, Nemo!? We saved the world!

Oh, no, little boy.
It’s too soon for that.

Hmph...I knew it.
What do you have up your sleeve now?

You’ve got something else? What’s next?

Nonsense! That’s impossible!

It is, isn’t it? But you’re wrong.
When you combine alien technology with demonic powers, anything is possible.
The moon is already on a collision course with Earth. There are no devices involved this time.
The only way to stop the moon now is to use all your strength to push it away.

The moon...will fall!?

Crash! Bang! Boom! It’s the end of Earth.

What the…!? Who are you…!?

Desco! We have to push!

Yes, Big Sis! Here we go!

These two start jumping up and down with everything they've got.

Gh…! What are we supposed to…!?

It’s simple! Give up already!
Just sit back and watch the moon fall onto the face of the Earth!

Never! I made a promise! To save the moon! And Earth!

Then what are you gonna do? Go ahead, give it a try. Stop the moon from falling!
Look at you. Sad, pathetic demons…! You can’t even fulfill your own duties. You’re useless!

Gh! I…!

My Lord…!

Give up and enjoy the taste of despair!
I hope the moon, Earth, Netherworld… And everything else disappear!

What can I do…!?
Isn’t there anything I can do, other than watch the moon fall…?
I haven’t completed what I must for my Lord yet…!
I placed all of my vows on the moon, but now I can only watch it fall!
Dammit…! Dammit…! Dammmiiittt!!!

Fenrich…

Is praying the only thing left for us to do…?

Praying…?
What will praying do!? What will it change!? What kind of help will that be!?

Hey...why is the ground shaking…!?

This glow…!

Huh? ...Who is she?

She, Fuka, is one of the main characters from Disgaea 1.

L-Lady Archangel!?

Archangel!? This lass…!?

Yes. She is Lady Flonne, the Archangel.
The person whom I respect the most.

Wh-what the hell is going on…!? What’s this light doing here!?
Valvatorez…! Are you doing this!?

Hmhmhm! Don’t be totally surprised yet!

Huh…!? What is that thing!?

https://i.imgur.com/14XLDtu.mp4
This is a mecha show now.

To protect the beautiful blue Earth! It comes from another dimension!
The unstoppable power of love and prayers! Its name is...Super Alloy! Great Flonzor X!!!

Super Alloy…?

Great Flonzor X!!??

This isn’t the time to be fooling around! The moon...is falling, people!

I am being super serious. And I’m also fully aware of our current situation.
But now that the Great Flonzor X is here, you can rest assured! It easily has enough power to move a moon or two!

Hey… Is this Archangel all right?

Y-yes, I-I’m sure she is...I think…

I thought Celestia was going broke because of the increase in evildoings by all the humans.

Y-yes, that’s right… I’m afraid to ask, but…
Excuse me, Lady Flonne… Did you put all the money I collected into paying for that thing…?

Lady Archangel Flonne...You’re…
What about all my hard work…?

Great Flonzor X was only able to be completed thanks to your devotion and moneygrubbing spirit!
Thank you! You did a great job, Artina!

Ar-?

Ti-?

N-?

A!?

A-A-A...Artinaaa!?!?!?

Huh? You did?

Yes! Especially at a time like this…! You’ve made everything much more complicated now!

Miss Artina…? Mr. Valzy’s first love, Miss Artina?

She’s not my first love…!

Fenrich nodding vigorously off-screen.

See? Told ya so!
But seriously… Just like that!? That wasn’t nearly as dramatic as I was hoping it would be.

This is bad! Ugh!
And I kept it a secret for so long…

S-so this money-hungry Thief Angel is really Artina…!?
Women are so freaking scary!

I was doing everything for my mission! It’s not because I wanted to…!
Ahh, dammit, Lady Archangel!

...Oh, I’m sorry. Teehee ♥

What is it!? What’s wrong with you!?

Did you say, Artina…?
Don’t you dare say her name, you filthy maggots! Are you saying that Nurse Artina is here…?
Th-that can’t be possible…! I wasn’t wrong…!

Oh, I get it now…!
You demons are just trying to confuse me, aren’t you!?
Well, sucks to be you! I’m not gonna fall for it!

Huh…? What was that all about?

Ummm...did I do something bad?

Speaking of which! Hey, you, Archangel Flonne!
You said you can easily move a moon or two, right!? Well, I don’t care if it’s the power of love, or whatever, just do it now!

Hmmm, well… Great Flonzer X is working on it right now, but…
It doesn’t seem like it’s getting enough power…

It should be super easy...if it was able to use its full power! But there just doesn’t seem to be enough awe energy around here…

Awe energy?
You mean the power source for angels? That robot uses the same energy, too?

That’s correct!
If we were able to collect awe energy from around the world, this would be very easy…
...But it seems like the people of Earth have lost all of their faith in Celestia.

Dammit, humans!
They must be aware of this situation by now, yet their hearts remain rotten!

So this is how much the humans have been corrupted…

What? Why are you looking at me?

We have no choice… We must pray, too!

Pray!? To God and the angels!? Are you joking!? We’re demons, for crying out loud!

Ugh...But…

As an aspiring final boss, Desco isn’t sure about praying to God and the angels, either…

My Lord…They are absolutely right about this…
We must stop the moon from falling, no matter what. However, I can’t possibly watch you pray, my Lord…

Then what would you suggest?

The main alien force should be at the far end of this area…
If we can use their technology, we might be able to…

...That sounds a bit risky.
You’re the one who wants this the most out of all of us. If you insist on that…

I will wait for you here with Great Flonzor X. I believe in you.
You’re entitled to do anything your heart desires.

L-Lady Flonne…?

Forget about me, or your place as an angel.
What is the most important thing for you to do right now? Just listen to your heart, and do whatever it tells you, Artina.
I will support you entirely, no matter what kind of decision you make.

Lady Flonne...Thank you so much…!

Don’t worry about it, Artina.
I know what’s really going on here.

Hmhm. That’s why I respect you, Lady Flonne.

Go on ahead, Artina.
You need to save the moon and Earth if you’re going to save him, too!

Next time on Disgaea 4!: Fear the Great...

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 3, 2023

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Me, first time playing:
what how why the gently caress you doing here Flonne how're you an angel again why the gently caress are you an archangel how many favors did Lamington have to call in for that?

five seconds later, Great Flonzor X appears:
Yup. That's our Flonne

ten seconds later:
goddammit you useless angel. Yup that's our Flonne

E: now that the reveal* happened, Vulcanus is the name of the angel villain in Disgaea 1 so why did you pick that particular name for a pseudonym Artina?
*everyone and their demon dog calls it at angel Artina's first on screen appearance but it's still technically a reveal

E2: I think that should be Flonne's portrait at the end.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 3, 2023

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Disgaea's been getting mecha references for ages, but they really went all out here and I love it.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Regarding Flonne being an Archangel here, they'd actually been laying the groundwork for that in other games.
The visual novel Disgaea Infinite showed that Flonne was taking online remedial courses to re-ascend. Disgaea 3 Rasberyl Mode shows her back in Celestia in an official Archangel position.

The Vulcanus thing is still a bit weird.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Omobono posted:

E2: I think that should be Flonne's portrait at the end.

Ugh... I went to fix this and noticed I had the top and bottom images of the big Great Flonzor X and Flonne spread reversed.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

MightyPretenders posted:

Flonne was taking online remedial courses to re-ascend.

sometimes disgaea hits that right level of goofy :discourse:

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
Yeah, okay, I'm with the crowd in being over Judge Nemo's poo poo.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

sometimes disgaea hits that right level of goofy :discourse:

It's one of those wonderful series where a literal Deus ex Mechnia [sic] is greeted not by an exasperated "oh, come on!" but by a slightly surprised and amused "oh, actually, that makes sense, in a convoluted fever dream sort of way." It's not a series I play for the story (I play it to sate my endless addiction to number goes up so that the number can go up faster so that the number can go up even faster), but the stories are always enjoyable and outlandish enough to get some good laughs on the way.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

It's not quite a Deus ex Angelic Mecha.

1) it's been established that Nemo & co. can't see angels* so Heaven could have been setting up poo poo without interference
2) Artina mentioned the Archangel once or twice or every single time so we know Heaven was monitoring the sitution (via Artina)
3) useless (Arch)angel couldn't even charge up her mecha so now we gotta do another job

*up to a certain point one would assume, otherwise Artina could simply walk up to him and shank him

Omobono fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 4, 2023

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Now on Disgaea 4!: Fear the Great…

Too bad we won’t be able to reuse Earth, but at least we’ll be rid of him, too. When you think about it, this wasn’t a bad deal after all.

That’s correct. This is all because you demons have neglected to keep those other kinds of demons in line.

Gh…! I couldn’t agree more. I apologize!

...Hey, don’t apologize.

Looks like the aliens have already prepared to make their escape.
Unfortunately, that probably means it’s already to late to stop the moon from falling…

I beg you!

My Lord! Please…!

As a representative of all the creatures of Earth, I plead to you aliens!
Please pray to God and the angels...Even if it’s just for now…! To stop the moon from falling!
With the aliens’ prayers, we should be able to collect as much awe energy as there are stars in the universe! Please!

My Lord…!

Mr. Vampire…

...You’re a demon, aren’t you? Why would you go this far for the humans? Do you really wanna protect Earth that much?
Is it because you need the fear energy that’s emitted from the humans? We’ve heard that fear energy is like the life source for you demons, right?
Okay, if you’re that desperate, we can search for new life forms that you can collect fear energy from.

What? Is that even possible?

Then we’re safe!

Don’t worry. You’re already kind of like a demon, so you should be safe, too.

Huh? Oh yeah? Okay, then…

So selfish Fuka. Your Dad's on Earth and you just made up! Kinda.

We’ve watched over the humans for a long time now. So we’re aware that the Netherworld is being controlled by the humans, too.
There’s no longer any need for you to protect those humans, who have tormented you for all these years.
Now stop obsessing over them already and consider bringing order to a brand-new planet. That doesn’t sound so bad, does it?
If you demons promise to become subordinate to the Pan-Galactic Alliance, I wouldn’t mind negotiating for you at the Supreme Conference.

Replacing the humans…
That’s something I’ve never thought of…Sounds rather fascinating, doesn’t it Fenrich?

Lord Valvatorez…

Why!? I don’t understand!!
There isn’t a single valid reason for you to decline that offer!

...Because I made a promise.

A promise!?

...It wasn’t just a verbal promise. It was a promise that was made within our hearts.
Within the Netherworld, there lies Hades. Within Hades, there are a lot of lost Prinnies who need my guidance.
On Earth, there is a memory… A valuable memory that taught me the importance of promises.

Mr. Vampire…

This is a straightforward fight. Although I had to grind a bit to get my units on par with these enemies.

Lord Val…!

Throwing that away to save my life is not something I desire! And that…is my final answer!

And it’s a foolish one at that. You’ve been brainwashed by pointless human notions and have chosen extinction.
Demons are lowly creatures, after all. This is fine. I hope Earth, the Netherworld, and Celestia all get demolished!

Y-yes, sir!

You wouldn’t have gotten hurt if you had just done this while I was being nice.
….Fools.

How dare you make my Lord kneel before you!?
You alien imbeciles! Pray as if your lives depend on it, because one way or the other, they do!

Can we collect awe energy by forcing them to pray…?

We won’t be able to collect enough awe energy if you threaten them into praying!

But we can still get some!? That’s awful!

Angels aren't good people Fuka.

...I see. If threatening them won’t work, then we have no choice but to do it ourselves.

Please don’t be rash, my Lord!
Hey, lass! Why don’t you pray!? You’re closer to being human than any of us!

I am a human! And I’ve been praying my butt off!

Gh…! I shouldn’t have relied on this idiot to get the job done!
Desco, what about you!? Show them what you’ve got, as a final boss!

...Desco really doesn’t want to, but how can she refuse after seeing Mr. Valzy… Okay, fine!
Pretty please, Great Flonzor X! Please return the moon to where it was! Hurrrmmm!!!

We’re almost there! Please show your faith and send it towards Great Flonzor X!

You’re next, whelp! Go!

I can’t believe I’m about to do this…
This is only to save the Netherworld…! I’m counting on you, Great Flonzor X! Hrmp-aghhh!

drat! Still not enough, huh? This hungry piece of metal!

Fenfen, c’mon! Don’t mess this up for us.

Gh…! Then who’s next…!?

Of course, I’ve been praying since the beginning. It’s about time for you to give in, Mr. Werewolf.

I’ve got this! No problem! I’ll show them the prayer of a proud of noble demon!

W-wait my Lord, please! If you’re willing, then… Then…I will pray instead!

Ah….Then I’m counting on you, Fenrich. Show me what you’ve got!

Umm...You’re supposed to be praying, remember?

That is my way of praying! Is there a problem with that!

You would think an angel would know not to prayer-shame. Do better Artina.

Of course there is, flea brain! Do you really want this to succeed?

I know it’s degrading, but this isn’t the time to joke around, you know?

The moon is a special and important place for you, right, Mr. Fenfen? You’re not gonna save it like that!

Gh…! I...I know that, but…!

Huh? What’s going on now?

See? That is the power of my prayer.

Are you serious…? Are God and the angels masochists?

Axel!

That’s right, it’s me! The 62nd President of the Netherworld!
You can skip the explanations, I know all about it! Axel, the Dark Hero, is the only one who can save the world from this crisis!
The demons of the Netherworld are completely in love with me, following my presidential inauguration celebration show!
I’ve asked my fans to temporarily convert their admiration for me into prayers to God!

Hmph. Not bad for Axel.

I can't believe Axel just saved the Earth using his fake hero status to convince the masses to offer up their energy. Someone on the writing team was a fan of the Buu arc in Dragon Ball Z.

Father!

Emizel, I’ve been watching you from the Netherworld.
You’ve gotten strong. I’m proud of you, Son.

Father...Well, I’m supposed to be strong, because I’m your son.

Everyone, another wave is approaching us! This time, the energy is even stronger! Whoooa…!

Dad!?

Are you the source of this new wave, Daddy!?

Nope, I’m not! This is...The awe energy from Earth!

What? But I thought the humans had already lost faith in us…

Oh, they definitely did. However, things have taken a turn for the better! And it’s all thanks to you guys up here!
I’ve been broadcasting your battles from beyond the Earth on every TV channel…
Valvatorez...Many humans were moved by your actions…
There’s no scientific proof of this, but I think why you’re so strong…

Hmph...It’s not all because of me. It’s thanks to my friends here, and also sardines.

By the way, Fuka… You still seem to think this is a dream, but you really did die, you know?

Heh-hahahaha! Well, good luck!

Cool! Do we have enough awe energy now!?

...No, we still need a little bit more to move the moon.

Fenrich.

...Yes, Lord Val.

You make the final call. This is up to you.

But...the only person I have faith in is Lord Valvatorez, and no one else…

That’s good enough. Believe in your faith towards me and pray that our allegiance will last forever. That is your prayer.

My allegiance to Lord Val…

My efforts to save you will only be made worthwhile if you use your life to fulfill your own desires.

And that is why I’d like to dedicate the rest of my life to you…! That...is my desire!

...You’re serious, huh? Just so you know, it’s not going to be an easy path to follow.

Whatever you wish to do will be my command. I will serve you for the rest of my life.
I make this vow to the moon, which is the source of all Werewolves’ power.

Excellent. I will engrave that vow in my heart as well.
You shall serve me as long as the moon shines, Fenrich.

Understood. All is for my Lord…
(This man is the master I have been searching for…)
(This man is the hero who will one day rule the world…)

Gooo!!! Urgh-aghhh!!!

Hmph. As expected of you, my servant.

Hmhmhm. All is for my Lord...my Lord.

Go, Great Flonzor X!! The awe energy is charged up to 120%! Release the Love Field!

https://i.imgur.com/3KX9WiM.mp4

What...happened?

The moon…! Is it back in place?

Yes! The moon is back in its orbit! Everything is fixed! Hmhmhm!

Thank you so much, Lady Flonne! You’ve saved us!

...Do we need to thank her, too? I get the feeling she only came here to make things more difficult…

Right. This isn’t my, or Great Flonzor X’s, work.
This was all thanks to the love we received from all around the world!

Ah, Desco gets it! Desco has awakened to love! Did Desco get a new skill!

I-I don’t care for this love talk, but…
Basically, the moon, Earth and Netherworld were all saved, right?

Yup! We saved them all! We did it!
So, it’s pretty much decided that I’m the ruler of the Human World now, right? Right!?

It’s too soon to celebrate!

Oh right. This guy is still around.

I don’t know what you guys did to put the moon back into its orbit, but I’m just gonna keep doing it over and over and-! Gh…!? Gahhh…! Grrr…! Aghhhhhhhhh!!!

What the hell’s his problem?

Huh!? What’s with this...sticky..cold air!?

Desco is scared! S-something bad is gonna happen!

This evil feeling...It’s coming from Earth!
However, it’s too strong to be coming from the humans…!

A malicious soul is embracing the world...This is nothing but chaos…

No…! It’s already been activated…?

Next time on Disgaea 4!: The Real Finale.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The Final Final Episode?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Hopefully.

Fenrich going mafia goon on Flonzor X will have a spot in my heart for how goofy it is.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

disgaea4(final)final_final-publish-3.doc

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

holy poo poo we're still on namek?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Tune in next time when we restart from the beginning without warning. See you again in 3 months!

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Seraphic Neoman posted:

We just collected enough energy for the spirit bomb Flonzor X, so I think we can go home now.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Now we just need for Not-Freeza to kill off one of Valvatorez's friends, enabling him to go Super Saiyan Vampire.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

FeyerbrandX posted:

Tune in next time when we restart from the beginning without warning. See you again in 3 months!

It sure would suck to play the game again to see something you most certainly won't the first time through...

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Now on Disgaea 4!: Fear the Great...

I have no idea what’s going on, but I think the next episode really is gonna be the final one!

What!? Is it really!? Then let me say one more thing…!

Desco will become the final boss! She will not lose to Fear the Great!

The world will belong to my master, Lord Valvatorez! No one will get in his way, not even Fear the Great!

All together now.

Gh! Just don’t forget the name of this fish, Bathyprion danae Xenodermichthys nodulosus! Because it just sounds cool!

A system to destroy the world by absorbing “malice” and giving it a physical form…That is the program known as Fear the Great.

System…? Program…?

To simplify it even more for you, idiot, it means that the world is going to be destroyed by the malice of the stupid humans.

But why does this have to happen now? Is this the work of the aliens, too?

No, the activation of Fear the Great can only be done by an order from God.

God? Isn’t God suppose to help us?

God isn’t here to save humans. God is not like the demons and angels. He presides over the entire universe, but He isn’t on anyone’s side.

The extinction of human beings, when compared to the vastness of the universe, probably isn’t a big deal to Him.

However, there must be some reason Fear the Great was activated... Why has God decided to destroy the humans…?

Is it because Fenfen didn’t say his prayers seriously?

Well, according to what I’ve read, Fear the Great is activated when the amount of malice on a planet exceeds a certain level.
It was been activated seven times in the past, and the targeted planets and their residents have all been wiped out.
Every planet in the universe is said to be equipped with this program.

Getting killed by your own malice… What an ironic system…

Most likely, yes…
Fear the Great possesses the person with the most malice and continues to grow by feeding on malice all around the world…
We have to do something before it’s too late.

But what are we supposed to do…!?

The Human World is full of malice! It might already be too late…!

Hmph. Crying about it isn’t going to turn things around.
Isn’t there a way to stop Fear the Great?

Unfortunately, not that I know of.
It can’t be helped...No one has ever successfully stopped Fear the Great in the past.

Then it’s up to us to change history with our own hands.

Only we, the ones with the power of light, can do that.

...Thanks.
God...watch us now. We’ll stop this arrogant system you’ve created, and crush your ego!

A classic JRPG finale, where we raise up, and smash the divine order imposed by God.

Is that even possible? Fighting a system that was created by God?

What’s the matter, Desco? Are you saying that you’re afraid of God?

What about you, rascal?
Will you follow the destiny that was laid out by God?

I-I’m…

What do you say, lass?

There’s no reason for me to ignore this awesome opportunity!

Fenrich, are you…? Actually, nevermind.

Please wait! Why didn’t you ask me?

...Are you sure? You’ll be going against God...You know that, right, angel?

...Still, I want to come. I have responsibilities, too.

...Okay. Then do what you want.

...Mr. Vampire, you’re not going to ask me any questions, are you?
Aren’t you curious to find out what happened between me and Nemo?

I can wait till you’re willing to talk about it. After all, that’s what allies do for each other.

Allies…
...So you accept me as an ally? I’m honored.

Next time on Disgaea 4!: Openings and Bans.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This FFVII remake is really weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Seraphic Neoman posted:

This FFVII remake is really weird substantially better than the original.

Fixed that for you.