Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

Megane II posted:

I guess Megane II should go into the left side of the stamina tree if he’s going to be playing past 30.

Does that mean just the first one on the left side, or do you want to go further?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Strategic Sage posted:

It actually does matter. I realize we are hopefully/probably close to the end, but the point of the exercise is for all of you to choose what to do with your players and for me to implement it.  Flip a coin if you must, physical or virtual, but please choose one.

Ok physical s'ils vous plait

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Strategic Sage posted:

Does that mean just the first one on the left side, or do you want to go further?

Go all the way down the left, I guess

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

stab posted:

Ok physical s'ils vous plait

I think we crossed wires here. Physical or virtual was referring to ways of flipping a coin if you didn't have another way of choosing. The choices are:

- 5% Bonus on Sponsor Deals, or
- Glory Bonus for making Team of the Round.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Strategic Sage posted:

I think we crossed wires here. Physical or virtual was referring to ways of flipping a coin if you didn't have another way of choosing. The choices are:

- 5% Bonus on Sponsor Deals, or
- Glory Bonus for making Team of the Round.

No thats me not knowing the game even after 40000 updates

5% bonus lets get that cheddar

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

FYI the second post in the thread, Coaches Corner, has all of that type of info. Nobody needs to memorize it :).

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

9.19 Backpfeifengesichter (5-3-1, 2nd) @ Stuttgart (2-4-3, 12th)

Minor Fatigue: Grouiiik, The Mattybee
Moderate Fatigue: stab, Megane II, iltwocche

18' - After holding off a tackle on the previous possession, AJ_IImpy breaks in and scores on a rainbow feint. 1-0. Good job, now go sit on the bench. That already used a lot of energy. For now, 3TatoManJack will come in and take up space.

45' - We somehow get a corner from a slide tackle and long-distance power shot by blackmongoose. Nothing comes of it.

62' - So this is a problem. LF Baronio missed a shot, got motivated, and slide tackled it back. The motivation basically means we don't have any realistic chance of taking it away - which also means he probably gets a break-in. Has 182 control at the moment. Pressing so he can't move is basically the only good option I see, and it works; a power shot is deflected by KG3.

88' - They get a long pass back to him, and he goes for a dribble score ... not close.

FT - Fairly high levels of dumb were involved here, but we get a win. Kantwohlu is man of the match. Munich lost for the first time this season, so we're back in first for the moment.

9.22 Backpfeifengesichter @ Edinburgh
European Cup Group D, Round 2

Minor Fatigue: KG3, Kantwohlu, Nizahaha, blackmongoose, 3TatoManJack, stab, iltwocche
Moderate Fatigue: AJ_IImpy, Megane II

The venerable Three Fullbacks Defense.

24' - They keep it in defense for some reason; iltwocche moves in with a slide tackle and power shot, and we get a corner. This ends with Dragongem2 failing on three consecutive rolls to feint LD Hoey to get into scoring position. That ... wasn't how that was supposed to go.

On the other end, they cross to FW McCutcheon who scores the header ... Cowardchen stares blankly at it as it goes by. Actual roll was close, 82 to 78. 1-0.

A favorable break-in fails, and that's the half.

HT - One half away from being in serious trouble; we can't afford to lose another match in the group.

52' - IImpy has just enough gas left in the tank for another break in. It works - power shot - corner kick. Tworrannor replaces him.

It's the same play as before; wing forward distracts them on the far side, with the idea of getting one of them pushed towards Dragongem2 and then feinting through them for a chance at a goal. It's Hoey once again, with the lone CD getting pushed out of the play. It takes all three rolls to barely succeed on the feint this time. Facing three rolls of 9 vs. 14 for the goal, he gets the max on the first roll and scores. 1-1. Phew.

90' - They get an angled power shot, likely trying for a corner kick, after both Twackles and Kangra miss an intercept on the pass. Thankfully Cowardchen keeps it in.

A draw is both a gift here, and not good enough at the same time. Another 1-0 win for West London, this time over Belgrade Black. That might be for the best in our case; if they beat up on everybody then we only need to get ahead of the other two to advance.

9.26 Backpfeifengesichter (6-3-1, 1st) @ Leipzig (5-3-2, 3rd)

Minor Fatigue: pthighs, stab, ChicoTR, Dragongem2
Moderate Fatigue: iltwocche
Major Fatigue: AJ_IImpy

10' - The plan was to do the flank-cross maneuver, but on our first opportunity Tworrannor lost the ball to CD Minet.

34' - A point-blank shot from CF Gazi is unimpressively, and Cowardchen easily handles it.

52' - Second attempt works. A much-needed goal, 1-0.

64' - stab long-passes ahead for another chance, but it's blocked away by GK Jaeke.

FT - Defense holds and we win 1-0.

Kantwohlu finishes L1 Reaction, and begins on L2.

10.1 Backpfeifengesichter @ Hamburg
National Cup Round of 32, 1st Leg

Hamburg is an above-average First League club.

Minor Fatigue: Grouiiik
Moderate Fatigue: stab, AJ_IImpy
Major Fatigue: ChicoTR

They're going with the No Proper Midfielders approach, otherwhise known as Pre-emptive Surrender.

45' - It looked like we'd finish the half with no chance to counter, but Tworrannor drew a foul in the deep corner. Resisted a L3 Slide Tackle no less, and a yellow card was handed out. Nizahaha was able to get a lofted pass from there across the formation to Dragongem2, who scores on a cannon shot. 1-0.

50' - We draw a penalty, only to have GK Bruch make a diving save on the attempt.

86' - They set up a cross after a bunch of slide-tackling both ways, but it sails harmlessly out for a goal kick.

We spent too much energy for a small margin, but it'll do.

10.3 Frankfurt (3-2-6, 16th) @ Backpfeifengesichter (7-3-1, 1st)

Minor Fatigue: PokiiTax, Nizahaha, Tworrannor, stab, AJ_IImpy
Moderate Fatigue: BraveLThreester, ChicoTR
Major Fatigue: iltwocche

We've once again reached a point of needing to limit what our midfielders do; two of the three proper kickoff mids need a rest. Looks like we might have just enough time to give them that.

6' - Megane II crosses to Grouiiik for an expected easy score, but with high natural control GK Hellfritzsch deflects it away safely to a teammate. That wasn't the plan.

44' - After blackmongoose runs around doing a couple of slide tackles so that others can stay in position, they unwisely keep the ball in the deep corner. Megane II tackles it away, then crosses and Grouiiik makes it count from point-blank range. 1-0.

HT - ChicoTR in for blackmongoose, fatigue sub.

50' - RF Baumgart dribbles through DoubleTurtle, but pthighs cleans up.

58' - A Layoff Pass appearance; Nizahaha sets up Megane II in position for another cross. 2-0. After missing multiple times earlier in the match, Twackles intercepts the kickoff. We decide to try to the same play again, and Grouiiik does just well enough. 3-0.

90' - Once more? It's blocked out for a corner. We make a couple of subs just to avoid pointless over-exertion, and Twovery Best bangs home a final header. 4-0.

Coach Level 66: The only useful ability to add is the second level on Fast-Track track skill learning. Probably not useful anyway as it's not really worth the glory it costs, but maybe if we max it out. There are four tiers and it's better than dumping it into a definitely useful ability.

Twackles finishes the Dedication Tree and needs new instructions.

Megane II, at better than 30 and a half years young, finishes L3 Cannon Shot and is done with skills training.

Our current winning streak combined with top challengers floundering about has given us a six-point lead in the league table, and we're up in the first round of the National Cup. European Cup is less settled, we need to get a win against Belgrade Black next week if we want to avoid any drama with advancing. Overall it's looking better for sure though; we just had a week off following the Frankfurt match, but the next four weeks will have Cup and League matches to deal with so this would be a really good time for nobody to get hurt and midfield fatigue is most definitely still a thing.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

quote:

Stamina

Upper-left; a player who has been in the game the entire first half will double their energy recovery at the half. Middle-left: 20% reduction in injury chance. Lower-left: 30% reduction in the odds of being carded when making a tackle. Right; player spends more time on the match day for recovery. 50% energy recovery on match day for players listed as substitutes. 150% if they are in reserve squad.

Completion of the Stamina Tree halves the energy recovery penalty for players 30+.

If I understand correctly there isn't a way to increase energy recovery between matches? My guy seems to be real tired from his efforts

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
We have it in the bag!

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

iltwocche posted:

If I understand correctly there isn't a way to increase energy recovery between matches? My guy seems to be real tired from his efforts

Other than 'don't train skills', no. Having a player who moves around a lot and uses skills a lot means they will get tired a lot.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Strategic Sage posted:

Other than 'don't train skills', no. Having a player who moves around a lot and uses skills a lot means they will get tired a lot.

Ok! Just wanted to make sure there wasn't a training pathway that would do that.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

This gets into more advanced squad-building, but one of the main ways of avoiding that problem is actually just having more overlap with other players.

Current example: if we have ChicoTR, iltwocche, and Twackles out there at the same time, then there are many situations in which we can choose who is going to go slide-tackle. Same thing with having multiple long-passers or cannon shotters or whatever. If you don't have to use the same player for the same action every time, you can split it up and keep more of them relatively free from fatigue.

It's not really so much about 'how do I make this player do this better', but 'how do I find a combination of players that works better together'.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Once IImpy is done with his current instructions:

Stamina tree, upper left first, then right, then complete the tree.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The right side of the Stamina tree (increased recovery), followed by Fan Favorite top left (glory bonus) and then Stamina: injury chance reduction (middle left).

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Both added

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

10.10 Hanover (3-5-4, 12th) @ Backpfeifengesichter (8-3-1, 1st)

Minor Fatigue: Nizahaha, blackmongoose, Grouiiik, iltwocche
Moderate Fatigue: Twackles
Major Fatigue: Megane II

We're pretty much donating any hopes of winning and playing for a scoreless draw, so we can preserve our chances of winning the Cup match.

HT - 3TatoManJack had quite a lot of success pressing and harrassing the Hanover defenders, and we kept the ball in their end almost the whole first half.

More of the same ensued afterwards. This might have been the most boring, uneventful match in club history. Which is great for us strategically.

KG3 finishes L2 Slide Tackle. One more to go.

10.13 Belgrade Black @ Backpfeifengesichter
European Cup Group D, Round 3

Minor Fatigue: Kantwohlu, BraveLThreester, Twackles
Moderate Fatigue: Megane II
Severe Fatigue: 3TatoManJack

It's raining for this, and they are sporting the Three Midfield Wingers approach. I am unimpressed.

20' - They stall, ChicoTR comes forward for a slide tackle + power shot, it's safely blocked away.

45' - Last play of the half is iltwocche long-passing to Dragongem2 for a score. They made us work for it, but it's 1-0.

50' - LF McQueen flanks, and pthighs tackles. The rest of it basically keepaway. Belgrade Black never threatens to score.

Another of those matches where you could have picked probably a half-dozen players as Man of the Match, but pthighs hasn't gotten one in a bit. Twackles completes his skill training with L3 Slide Tackle.

It's our first time over 1M Euros in ticket sales for a single match. We're naturally capped out again, having reached our stadium capacity, so it's just a matter of how much each ticket is worth. West London crushes Edinburgh 3-0.

West London (9 pts)
Backpfeifengesichter (4 pts)
Edinburgh (2 pts)
Belgrade Black (1 pt)

After playing everyone once, we basically just need to not lose to either of the bottom two. West London is doing what we did either last year or the year before; 5 goals scored, 0 goals allowed. Amusingly, we're the only German club in the European Cup who is not in first place of their group at the moment; Berlin, Dusseldorf, and Dortmund all are. In the EFA, Hoffenheim and Monchengladbach are looking good to advance, but Wolfsburg is in trouble; only 1 point for them after three matches.

10.17 Backpfeifengesichter (8-4-1, 1st) @ Berlin (2-6-5, 17th)

Minor Fatigue: pthighs, iltwocche, ChicoTR
Moderate Fatigue: 3TatoManJack

14' - Cannon shot from the open right wing for Tworrannor. 1-0.

HT - We could have done more of that, but are aiming to spread around our energy use and conserve key players. GladRagKraken in for BraveLThreester, blackmongoose for Twackles. Berlin shifts their formation as well and cannon shots from the wing are a concern ... but we'll just have try and keep the ball away from them. They've blocked off the flanks on defense so scoring without unacceptably high exertion is not really an option.

62' - Plan did not work, Platzdasch gets a cannon shot. 1-1.

70' - Megane II power shots and gets a corner; Twovery Best converts an even-odds header for the lead again. 2-1. So yeah, nothing is really going as I planned today.

Could have done without this. I make a sub to bring in iltwocche, but because reasons it is somehow not recognized by the game. blackmongoose gets a shot, saved by GK Filippini, they counter for a power shot at the other end, but it's kept in play.

Not sure how to feel about this match. I think I'd have taken a loss instead if we could undo the injury.

Nizahaha takes the 30% XP boost. Needs a new target.

I do the Sincere Support thing with Megane II, knocking four days off the injury time.

10.22 Hamburg @ Backpfeifengesichter
National Cup Round of 32, 2nd Leg

Minor Fatigue: BraveLThreester, Kantwohlu, Kangra
Moderate Fatigue: Nizahaha
Injured: Megane II

10' - Glad I didn't ask any more of Tworrannor in the last match, as he's our best option here. Break In + Power Shot gets us a corner, and against these guys we simply plant him in the box and pass in the ball for a cannon shot. 1-0.

22' - Poor reaction by GK Bruch on a ranged shot from blackmongoose. 2-0.

30' - Corner kick for Hamburg. pthighs intercepts the pass in, likely preventing a score.

44' - The inglorious lofted-pass to corner kick mechanic, we haven't seen that in a while. Same result as before, except ...

pthighs adds to his club record by getting injured on the re-tackle, 1m 17d. PokiiTax replaces him. A yellow only is assessed on the play.

HT - I take the risk of using our last two subs. GladRagKraken for Kantwohlu, AJ_IImpy for Tworrannor. We're up three goals, so we should be safe.

56' - They change formation, and I brilliantly dial up an offsides pass.

66' - Another Hamburg corner kick. Inept efforts by stab on the entry pass, and Cowardchen on the resulting cannon shot - 1 roll of 10 vs. 16 and he rolls a 1, aka please score and I'll be sure to get out of the way. I am disgust. 2-1.

74' - Corner kick for us; we just seem to be having a rash of them both ways this match. It accomplishes nothing.

90' - They miss a tackle from behind on BraveLThreester at the end. I'm surprised it's not another injury. ChicoTR is MoM.

Ingolstadt is an upset winner, and they will be our opponent in the next round. Another First League club, similar quality to Hamburg. We do get nearly a max roll on Sincere Support for pthighs, a 16-day reduction in injury (9-17 was the range).

10.24 Backpfeifengesichter (9-4-1, 1st) @ Augsburg (4-5-5, 12th)

Minor Fatigue: BraveLThreester, stab, Kantwohlu, Twackles, ChicoTR, Tworrannor, PokiiTax, Nizahaha, AJ_IImpy
Moderate Fatigue: iltwocche
Injured: Megane II, pthighs

10' - Cannon shot for 3TatoManJack, but it's denied.

36' - Slide tackle and shot for blackmongoose, but GK Gallina handles that as well.

66' - Twovery Best joins the miss parade. Cerqueira tries a cannon shot - L2 - on the other end, and we're lucky to block it out for a corner. BraveLThreester intercepts the pass in, which doesn't matter because Vielhaber slide tackles and then beats a poor effort from Cowardchen on the shot. 1-0.

Been a while since we lost a league match.

PokiiTax finishes the Talent Tree.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Ow, my shins! At least the guy got a red card for it.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
This rash of injuries is unfortunate, but I'm still not worried - we still got this in the bag.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I would rip my hair out but I don't have any.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Why am I this poo poo?

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

We could be down five goals in a Cup or lose eight matches in a row and some of you would still be like 'we've got it in the bag'.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Since we haven't, we've got it in the bag.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Coward posted:

Why am I this poo poo?

We've given up seven goals in over thirty matches.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Strategic Sage posted:

We've given up seven goals in over thirty matches.

Instead of zero!

Kind of feels like I have been missing most shots that make it to the keeper while the succesaful prevention is down to the defenders. Might be different if I hadn't stuffed the timing and had any levels in Strong Goalkeeper? Will passing 200 Defence do anything?

Kind of funny comparing the career of Coward the Elder where our defence was leaky and it was often down to him to stop goals.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Coward posted:

Instead of zero!

I inaccurately reported the situation; it's 8 goals in 20 matches this year, 0.4 a match. By comparison, each of the last two years we gave up over 0.7 per match, and those were big improvements over where we were previously.

Zero is ... rather obscenely unrealistic :).

Coward posted:

Kind of feels like I have been missing most shots that make it to the keeper

Nope. You have 11 saves on the year. That's actually a slightly worse success rate than you've had in recent years - as the reports have noted there were a couple or so 'soft' goals in there - but you still stop the majority. By comparison, last year was 65 saves and 42 goals allowed, so 60.7% success rate. You'd be right on that if you literally had one more save this year. There's nothing really out of the ordinary happening.

Getting more of any important attribute or skill always helps. It's a case of relative value. Most of the goals we give up are ones that higher Defense wouldn't change; two years ago we allowed 3 out of 36 goals by Precision Shot, last year it was 6 out of 42, and 3 out of 8 so far this year. Cannon Shot and Crosses are by far the most common ways other clubs score.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 1, 2024

Nizaha
Oct 12, 2021
Going to finish out the Dedication tree, +70% XP and then 3 point Focus.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

10.27 Edinburgh @ Backpfeifengesichter
European Cup Group D, Round 4

If we win this match, we'll probably get through the group and advance. If we draw we might advance, if we lose we'll be behind with two matches left.

Minor Fatigue: KG3, Nizahaha, blackmongoose, iltwocche
Moderate Fatigue: ChicoTR, 3TatoManJack
Injured: pthighs, Megane II

I open up my Mystical Bag of Cheaty Handwavium and us Restore Stamina on ChicoTR for a cost of 33 Glory. That eliminates a little over half of his fatigue so that he can play today.

4' - AJ_IImpy fails on an impressively bad break-in.

20' - They try to hold it on the flank with their fullback. iltwocche slide tackles and sets up Dragongem2 for a rainbow feint. 1-0.

30' - GK Barbirolli holds a power shot in.

45' - Our long pass at the end of the half doesn't get through, but theirs does. McCutcheon gets a shot that is easily saved.

HT - Nizahaha in for iltwocche.

52' - They've changed up formation, and go for an angled power shot. Safely deflected by Cowardchen.

72' - Another power shot for us, yielding nothing.

90' - Nizahaha sets up another feint goal; Dragongem2 got some kind rolls, as he needed to feint a 5* defender first to get in position. 2-0.

They finally get a corner kick now that it's too late ... and CD Holm pushes a good chance to score on a header wide. That should take care of the Group Phase.

CD Kantwohlu adds 30% XP boost. That's the last current instruction.

10.31 Monchengladbach (6-1-8, 9th) @ Backpfeifengesichter (9-4-2, 1st)

Minor Fatigue: Kantwohlu, PokiiTax, BraveLThreester, ChicoTR, AJ_IImpy, Nizahaha
Moderate Fatigue: iltwocche, Dragongem2
Injured: Megane II, pthighs

6' - We turn back the clock, Nizahaha crossing from the right for Twovery Best. Wide right.

HT - KG3 blocks a couple of snipes from CF Friedek, and that's about it.

50' - Wachter flanks, and Kantwohlu makes the tackle on a coin-flip play.

74' - After 3TatoManJack holds them up a bit, Friedek gets a shot through but easily played by Cowardchen.

86' - Sure, why not. This is caused by CM Odenthal insisting on running all over slide-tackling, despite being exhausted. He gets a yellow. We do get a chance to win out of it; Twovery Best demonstrates his fairness by missing to the other side of the net this time.

That was very dumb. The odds of missing both headers are exceptionally low. Absolutely should have won.

11.5 Backpfeifengesichter @ Ingolstadt
National Cup Round of 16, 1st Leg

Minor Fatigue: ChicoTR, iltwocche
Moderate Fatigue: Kantwohlu, Megane II
Injured: Nizahaha, pthighs

We trade one injured midfielder for another basically, as Megane II is now available - but needs more rest first.

Fortunately Ingolstadt does not appear to be a serious threat to score.

8' - They try to dribble past stab and fail. Long pass to Tworrannor, break-in, and Twackles converts the penalty. 1-0.

28' - Missed tackle by stab this time, but Cowardchen handles the power shot.

50' - AJ_IImpy's turn to draw a penalty. 2-0.

There's some controversy after the match, as stab is MoM despite Twackles scoring twice.

11.7 Leverkusen (8-5-3, 2nd) @ Backpfeifengesichter (9-5-2, 1st)

Minor Fatigue: PokiiTax, Kantwohlu, Tworrannor, Megane II
Moderate Fatigue: BraveLThreester, stab, AJ_IImpy
Injured: pthighs, Nizahaha

Our lead is down to three points going into the last league match before the break. Leverkusen's squad is in much better shape than ours, with the exception of their best CD being out for two weeks. Particularly problematic is that we have to go with backup CDs ourselves against their quality-control wing forwards.

4' - The odds are fortunately in our favor: Tworrannor draws a penalty and Dragongem2 converts. 1-0. Kerndl flanks, we miss the tackle ... but Wanneck pushes the header wide. We know that feeling.

24' - They try again, with better success. 1-1. We were close on the tackle by PokiiTax and fairly close on the save by Cowardchen, but missed both.

45+1' - A very dumb sequence of events gives us the lead. Failed break-in, ridiculous passing play gets Leverkusen a long shot by Wanneck that's deflected. PokiiTax slide-tackles, does a short lofted-pass to iltwocche who is barely able to control it, then long-pass to Dragongem2 for a rainbow feint 2-1.

They change formations at the half, then change again after another narrowly missed tackle ends in a foul. The just-let-Wanneck-blast-one play gets them a corner kick off the free kick. A good plan with our one Head Play defender injured, but CD Peace puts the header wide. We are being handed all kinds of gifts here.

GladRagKraken in for PokiiTax, Megane II in for iltwocche. Both are borderline on energy, and I'd rather risk not winning then risk another injury.

The Go Hide In the Corner method serves as an effective time-waster, and we hold on.

Back to a somewhat safer margin. Fortunately our next few Cup matches aren't crucial, so we can just get people healthy.

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

These standings are garbage. I know we ran up the score a few times, but we should not be outscoring our opponents 9:2 and still be only narrowly in first. We're used to being on the other end of these unlucky draws and one-goal wins.

Strategic Sage posted:

62' - blackmongoose strikes again. Shouldn't have worked against a motivated Robel, but it did. 3-0.

I really did not think he would accomplish anything for years to come. It's nice to have somebody who both generates extra possession time via Slide Tackle and converts low-quality possessions into low-quality scoring chances.

Strategic Sage posted:

I open up my Mystical Bag of Cheaty Handwavium and use Restore Stamina on ChicoTR for a cost of 33 Glory. That eliminates a little over half of his fatigue so that he can play today.

How much of this can you do???? Honestly, though, I've come around on how rarely we invoke the head coach's discretion on one-off bonuses and no longer am pushing for more speeches. It's the double Quadruple, it shouldn't be too easy to win this. We should save 99 Megalixirs for the final boss.

Strategic Sage posted:

Our lead is down to three points going into the last league match before the break. Leverkusen's squad is in much better shape than ours, with the exception of their best CD being out for two weeks. Particularly problematic is that we have to go with backup CDs ourselves against their quality-control wing forwards.

Once I realized that stab and pthighs weren't gonna be stopping many high Control break-ins either, I started feeling better about PokiiTax. Yeah it would be nice not to have garbage Defense but there aren't that many guys he can't tackle but others easily can.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I scored two goals! :woop:

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
CD Kantwolhu instructions:
+70% XP, followed by Unlocking Level 2 skill.

We are going to end the LP before those are needed, though.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

PokeyTax posted:

How much of this can you do???? Honestly, though, I've come around on how rarely we invoke the head coach's discretion on one-off bonuses and no longer am pushing for more speeches. It's the double Quadruple, it shouldn't be too easy to win this. We should save 99 Megalixirs for the final boss.

They consume a training session. We get three per year. Any I use for this don't get used for accelerating skill training - which isn't as valuable at this point, but there are other options I haven't used at all. But basically, I can't just spam it to keep the squad active and everyone not injured able to always play; we now have two of them left.

PokeyTax posted:

Once I realized that stab and pthighs weren't gonna be stopping many high Control break-ins either, I started feeling better about PokiiTax. Yeah it would be nice not to have garbage Defense but there aren't that many guys he can't tackle but others easily can.

FYI break-ins aren't really the issue; more relevant/common tactical situations are the wing forwards flanking to draw a foul/cross to a CF, or the high-control Rainbow Feinter that you need a neighbouring CD to tackle.

By the by, we're close enough to ending this that it seems relevant to point out something a certain coach said at one point; basically that we don't need a CD with Reaction because either our keeper or Odder Wilson at Sweeper had it, forget what it was exactly. Well, that's missing the target because if you have a CD with Reaction, they don't need a neighbor CD to stop rainbow feint; they can do it by themselves. This is why we've been playing 3-CD fronts fairly often, because otherwhise Rainbow Feinters just feint one of the wing CDs and there's nothing anybody can do about it. This also sacrifices the benefits of having a DF in the middle.

Kantwohlu is on the path to address this situation, but needs another level before it really becomes relevant.

PokeyTax posted:

We're used to being on the other end of these unlucky draws and one-goal wins.

Honestly our luck has been pretty decent this year. I.e. the Monchengladbach draw is more than compensated for by beating Leverkusen for example. And as ever, nobody is jumping out from the pack to be awesome, good, or even more than middling; once again the best of the competition is subpar by historical standards. We've had bad luck with the injuries, but even there it was two short ones and another of a month and a half; we could easily have just been down a defender and a midfielder for multiple months each.

Basically the standings boil down to this:

- Early on, there were somewhat more clubs than usual blocking off the flanks, meaning no good 'score on kickoff' options because crosses and break-ins are verboten. Esp. if they have high-defense CDs which make the Tworrannor flank-cross maneuver unlikely to work.
- Our defense is much better than it has been before.
- Our offense still is not great at counterattacking, though it has gradually improved. We're very good at keeping the opponent from retaining possession, which is part of why our defense is so strong, but manufacturing offense is a different animal. There are irons in the fire there; blackmongoose as mentioned, Olympic Kick being worked on, Dragongem2 can get it done against some formations or once in a while we can get cannon shots going, but there are also options we don't have - like the nutmeg AM a certain somebody had a while back. Someone not that long ago talked about our lack of a premium just-shoot Accuracy option. We can do a lot of things, but there are still notable holes and in certain matchups they have a bite.
- So basically we are just better at running up the score on clubs we have a good matchup against, but still not great at beating the best ones/worst matchups. Take away the six goals we had in that one match, and we're below-average in scoring in the Premier. Might have the best overall defense in the world, but being drawish is not a good recipe for running away with a title.

This is still the biggest potential roadblock. We have one win and two losses against West London to date, for example, and they aren't the only club out there that could potentially cause the same problems. Anyone who blocks off our best scoring options and has some quality ones of their own can still beat us if we don't get particularly lucky. If we do play West London or similar again later in the European Cup, there might not be anything I can do to stop an 'upset loss'. We can beat anyone on our day, but if it's not our day we aren't invulnerable. It must be said yet again that they had coin-flip odds of beating us last year. It was blind dumb luck in a shootout, and absolutely nothing else, that got us through. We weren't better than them then. We're not better than them now, and being better than 99+% gets you very close but not necessarily all the way there.

Or to put it another way, we most definitely do not 'have it in the bag'. My best guess on our odds is around 70% of ending the LP this season.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 2, 2024

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Also I've noticed that Kantwohlu keeps being spelled Kantwolhu by their coach. So I'm going to change it in-game. Either I remembered it wrong or it was spelled with an h first on the initial submission, but which it was couldn't possibly matter less.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

11.17 Backpfeifengesichter @ Belgrade Black
European Cup Group D, Round 5

Minor Fatigue: PokiiTax, iltwocche, Nizahaha
Injured: pthighs

42' - A possession struggle in the rain goes back and forth, until a slide tackle + long pass combo from iltwocche. On the other end of it is Dragongem2, who fails twice but scores on the third roll. 1-0.

Two close tackles by Kantwolhu in the first half, could have been different if either were missed.

50' - Break-in and power shot yields a corner. An entry pass in this weather is not going to happen, so Grouiiik comes in and narrowly beats Misovic on a cross. 2-0.

68' - Belgrade Black tries to sneak a long pass through, but stab intercepts it.

iltwocche is MoM, and we clinch our spot in the Round of 16. Good thing we won, as Edinburgh stunned West London 1-0.

+70% XP added.

+30% for Grouiiik.

11.26 Ingolstadt @ Backpfeifengesichter
National Cup Round of 16, 2nd Leg

Moderate Fatigue: iltwocche, pthighs

Everyone is healthy again.

With a two-goal lead against an inferior opponent, this is one of those rare matches where we can put the younger players out there safely.

4' - We draw a penalty, and blackmongoose scores it. 1-0.

14' - A ridiculous long-range power shot somehow gets through three defenders, and we get a corner kick. Kind rolls on both the pass in and the rainbow feint get AJ_IImpy a goal for himself. 2-0.

34' - Corner kick for Ingolstadt. They go the Olympic Kick route and hold both spots; Cowardchen blocks it out for a corner on the other side. This time they pass it directly in, with Kantwolhu missing the intercept. Bocanegra is stuffed on a feint attempt. I think we have the loaded dice today.

HT - Twackles in for AJ_IImpy.

They try to stall in defense, and 3TatoManJack had a shot at a goal if he could make an aggressive tackle. Didn't go so well.

90+1' - We get it to work at the end anyway; Nizahaha lofts it in, and a cannon shot for the goal.

We score three times, and Cowardchen gets the honors anyway. PokiiTax had several solid plays also. We'll play Augsburg in the quarterfinals, stepping up to actual Premier League competition.

Glory bonus for Cowardchen, who immediately cashes in on it for the match just played.

ChicoTR also finishes Long Pass L1.

12.1 West London @ Backpfeifengesichter
European Cup Group D, Round 6

Minor Fatigue: Nizahaha, blackmongoose, AJ_IImpy, 3TatoManJack, iltwocche
Moderate Fatigue: PokiiTax

Unexpectedly, we still have an opportunity to win the group if we can take this match; West London has 12 points coming in and we have 10.

20' - That was surprisingly easy; they just chill with the ball on the flank. ChicoTR does a slide tackle, long-passes to Dragongem2, and a rainbow feint score. 1-0.

45' - Very similar play again, The Mattybee with a slide tackle, same assister and scorer. 2-0 like we'd never had any problems with these guys before because, why would we?

Not sure what happened here, but West London looked like a shadow of their former selves.

They didn't allow a goal in the first four matches, and didn't score one in the last two. Adds up to a narrow group victory for us. We get Kyiv, probably the best club in Ukraine, for the Round of 16.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Cowardchen finishes Playing Out, so we take a pause to learn what skill he wants next.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Strong Goalkeeper, please!

Is that 6 months to learn including the training time reduction?

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

The time does include the reduction. Otherwhise none of them would be less than a year.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

4.7 Backpfeifengesichter vs. Ismailia
Club World Cup Semifinal

6' - Easy cross, Megane II to Grouiiik. 1-0.

20' - They ineffectually stall, and iltwocche slide tackles to set up another one. 2-0.

26' - stab draws a foul and then long-passes ahead for another one. Almost missed the header this time, but it was just good enough. 3-0.

HT - Nizahaha and Twovery Best come in.

58' - stab sets up another chance. 4-0. Ismailia figures out that it might be a good idea to block the flanks.

84' - One of their flank defenders moves in for some reason, but our latest try is intercepted before TB2 can reach it.

90' - We have to defend a corner kick, the most danger we've seen in the match. pthighs is motivated, and intercepts the entry pass.

Well that was ... not close. Grouiiik is MoM, we all dance around like idiots, and six players are named in the Team of the Round.

Grouiiik also finishes L2 Cannon Shot.

12.27 Backpfeifengesichter vs. Chongqing
Club World Cup Final

Minor Fatigue: iltwocche, stab, Nizahaha, Grouiiik

This is definitely a way of putting a defense together. Chongqing has one CD and zero DFs on their squad. The CD is injured.

22' - iltwocche long pass is intercepted at midfield. This should have resulted in a goal, but CF El-Wasti pushed a header wide.

45' - Cannon-shot goal by Dragongem2, set up by ChicoTR. 1-0.

HT - They make a formation change. BraveLThreester in for KG3.

50' - pthighs fouls Burhan al-Din, which is basically on the edge of what's even possible, but he rolled badly and barely missed. CF Bouhakake has 200 Accuracy and shoots like it. Cowardchen has 199 Defense and doesn't. 1-1.

58' - Break-in + Power Shot by AJ_IImpy. Deflected back in play.

74' - ChicoTR sets up another scoring chance by Dragongem2, denied by GK Yoo. Partly because I chose the wrong option.

82' - El-Wasti power shot, blocked away by stab.

88' - AJ_IImpy gets another power shot, out for a corner.

Grouiiik comes in to try to win the match. Slightly favorable odds jumping against El-Wasti. If he fails, we are going to penalties. It's near-perfect.

World Champions again!! This is also a cautionary tale though; their pathetic excuse for defense aside, some things just went wrong in this match and it could very easily have ended our run. Hopefully we won't have another one like this.

They like us! They REALLY like us!!

Kangra finishes L2 Layoff Pass and starts L3
Nizahaha is done with L2 Olympic Kick and starts the final level of that.

Possibly, even probably the final vote of the LP is coming up.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

GO :yeeclaw: CRABS :craboot: GO :yeeclaw: CRABS

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Champions again! Champions again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Strategic Sage posted:

Possibly, even probably the final vote of the LP is coming up.
Optimism? From our coach? :aaaaa:

Please don’t jinx it :cheeky: