Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
The crabs have it. In the bag!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
2.23 Kyiv @ Backpfeifengesichter
European Cup Round of 16, 2nd Leg

Minor Fatigue: PokiiTax, The Mattybee, Twovery Best
Moderate Fatigue: Nizahaha, 3TatoManJack

6' - Grouiiik scores on a header to get us off to a proper start. 1-0.

45' - Baklan saves another chance at the end of the half.

88' - stab sets up what I think is Grouiiik's first cannon shot goal from straight on. 2-0.

That was fun. Let's see what's next. Surprisingly, Dortmund beats West London 5-2, so we won't have to deal with them this year. 5* clubs Marseille and Manchester advance as well; they might be our toughest obstacles. Quarterfinal opponent is Barcelona, convincing 4-1 winners over Glasgow. It'll be our first meeting with them.

2.27 Backpfeifengesichter (12-6-2, 1st) @ Dortmund (7-7-6, 7th)

Minor Fatigue: BraveLThreester, stab, ChicoTR, iltwocche, Megane II, Nizahaha, 3TatoManJack
Moderate Fatigue: Grouiiik

22' - Twackles intercepted the opening kickoff, but we didn't get anywhere with it. Here, AJ_IImpy resists a slide tackle, breaks in, and gets stuffed on a feint try by Bauchennss.

38' - A power shot gets us nothing.

45' - Dortmund is surprisingly passive at the end of the half and pays for it. Dragongem2 feints one of their defenders and then the keeper for a 1-0 lead.

60' - Another tackle on IImpy fails, another break-in succeeds, another feint is stymied. He's having a great unsuccessful match.

80' - Straight red for CM Kolowrat, ChicoTR's punishment for intercepting a pass. We get a corner kick but nothing comes from it. Then I intend to press with Dragongem2, but tackle instead and he gets a yellow from just shouldering the Dortmund player to the ground. Not the best play there.

A costly victory. Once again we do get lucky with the Support, knocking off the max. of 14 days from the injury. That's probably just enough to get him back for our next European Cup match at the end of the month. Bullet mostly dodged there. I also found it amusing that the sponsor the match was 'Built Ford Tough'. Apparently Chico wasn't.

In transfer news, Munich is the headliner buying a 5* GK and and 5* DM. In related news, they move up the 2nd place in the Premier. Still eight points behind us, but they are still alive in the National Cup also.

3.4 Augsburg @ Backpfeifengesichter
National Cup Quarterfinals, 2nd Leg

Minor Fatigue: stab, Nizahaha, Grouiiik
Moderate Fatigue: Dragongem2, AJ_IImpy
Injured: ChicoTR (21d)

6' - Gallina stuffs a cross attempt.

22' - iltwocche runs across the field, slide tackles, long passes back across the field, and Megane II finishes with a cannon shot. One of our more spectacular goals. 1-0.

28' - Cowardchen saves on an angled shot by the ever-annoying Vielhaber.

HT - Twackles in for iltwocche.

52' - Power shot from Vielhaber this time, also handled.

Figured I'd try an Aggressive Tackle, probably would have scored if it worked.

90+1' - Augsburg's fourth shot of the day finally gets them a corner. Only a weak long-range power shot results. 5 saves gets Cowardchen Man of the Match, and we're through.

Munich and Leipzig also advance; Leverkusen is ashamed of themselves after a 3-0 loss on penalties to Stuttgart. How do you not score even once? Just how?? We get Leipzig in the semifinals, which means it's highly likely Munich will be the Final opponent assuming we get there.

3.6 Backpfeifengesichter (13-6-2, 1st) @ Dusseldorf (4-11-6, 15th)

Minor Fatigue: Tworrannor, Nizahaha, Dragongem2, Cowardchen
Moderate Fatigue: stab, iltwocche, Megane II, AJ_IImpy
Injured: ChicoTR (19d)

22' - Arctworas cross-training is on hold for the moment due to our midfield situation. He sets up Grouiiik for an easy score, which he botches with a poor effort that's stopped. Engemann has a weak try easily saved by Cowardchen at our end.

42' - Another try after they don't even go after a loose ball in the deep corner; header is pushed wide. Embarassing. They get a power shot - corner, a cross to Geney is shut down by pthighs.

52' - A motivated Grouiiik shows off with a bicycle kick. Maybe just be a little more cautious and make sure you score after failing both previous attempts in the match, pal? 1-0.

90' - A final corner kick to end the match. pthighs gets the job done again ... except he deflects it straight to Engemann. He shoots, we don't react well, and he scores. 1-1.

I am disgust.

3.13 Wolfsburg (7-4-11, 14th) @ Backpfeifengesichter (13-7-2, 1st)

Minor Fatigue: Grouiiik, pthighs
Moderate Fatigue: blackmongoose
Injured: ChicoTR(12d)

24' - We're playing for a scoreless draw and to rest players. So much for that. Due to not being able to get the ball back at midfield, Muller is able to feint BraveLThreester, and then Kantwohlu misses a close tackle. Third roll of cannon shot scores. 1-0.

36' - Nice long pass intercept by Nizahaha.

45' - They score again the same way. Not our best match. 2-0.

50' - PokiiTax manages to tackle Mattern, keeping it from getting any worse.

68' - We get a corner kick. Mattern narrowly outjumps Twovery Best, strong effort by both players.

The recent unpleasantness has shrunk our lead somewhat. We're still in charge, but not comfortably so.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Oops, my bad guys

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Leverkusen in front of Munich, art imitates life.

ChicoTheRainmaker
Oct 22, 2008

Strategic Sage posted:

80' - Straight red for CM Kolowrat, ChicoTR's punishment for intercepting a pass.

I'd like to donate all my guy's points in Defense and Control to charity (unless it was intercepting a Long/Layoff Pass, in which case I don't want to donate his stars).

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Charity doesn't want them.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

3.18 Backpfeifengesichter @ Leipzig
National Cup Semifinal, 1st Leg

Minor Fatigue: blackmongoose, PokiiTax
Moderate Fatigue: Nizahaha, 3TatoManJack
Injured: ChicoTR (7d)

2' - Early kick off interception by Twackles.

28' - blackmongoose is involved quite a bit early, misses a slide tackle here.

36' - Long pass through our line to Haar; good try on a cannon shot, but Cowardchen pushes it out for a corner. CF Gazi scores a header against meh efforts from both our keeper and pthighs. 1-0.

44' - Easy cross for Grouiiik. 1-1. Both scores have hit the crossbar, so the animation says they almost missed before going in.

HT - I hesistantly switch in Nizahaha for blackmongoose. I'm not sure who we are better off with out there.

50' - Megane II gets his second assist of the day on another cross. These aren't gimme headers - 105 to 86 on the result for that one - but quite probable ones. 2-1.

54' - Twackles again. He makes an unlikely lofted pass to Megane II, only to see RD Schimpf poke it out for a throw-in. A pthighs power shot - yes you read that correctly - results, and we get a corner kick. The whole stadium knows what's coming. It's basically a coin-flip between Grouiiik and LD Keebler, but we get the better of it barely and the hat trick. 3-1.

90' - Nizahaha shows off, intercepting a L3 long pass.

That should be plenty to put us in the final. Stuttgart stuns Munich 1-0 ... if they hold that lead it would basically be a walk-over for us.

3.20 Nuremberg (6-6-11, 16th) @ Backpfeifengesichter (13-7-3, 1st)

Minor Fatigue: pthighs, iltwocche, blackmongoose, Nizahaha, 3TatoManJack, Grouiiik
Moderate Fatigue: Twackles, Megane II
Injured: ChicoTR (5d)

24' - They try to hold it on the wing. Long pass from iltwocche for a cannon shot score from Dragongem2. 1-0, and iltwocche immediately comes out for Nizahaha.

HT - AJ_IImpy for 3TatoManJack for no reason in particular other than continuing to keep bodies fresh.

74' - They have no long-passers, but MF Puerta long-passes over the defense. A poor effort by Krahmer on a cannon shot ... but a worse one by Cowardchen who literally just got out of the way (minimum roll of 1 which is an automatic goal). 1-1.

FT - pthighs is MoM. Hopefully this draw won't come back to bite us; it doesn't feel good.

3.27 Backpfeifengesichter (13-8-3, 1st) @ Munich (11-9-4, 2nd)

This begins the do-or-die crunch time stretch of the season; five straight weeks of cup matches, and we start by visiting one of our top challengers in the League, in the rain. ChicoTR is back from injury but still needs some rest before he can reasonably play. That will help, but the damage is still done to an extent; we head into this stretch in a sub-par place when it come to midfield fatigue. That's only going to get worse, and if we don't make it through with all of the trophies, that's probably going to be why we fail.

There'll be some tough lineup decisions, and the smart money is on me screwing some of them up. We'll just have to take it match by match.

Minor Fatigue: iltwocche, 3TatoManJack
Moderate Fatigue: Nizahaha
Major Fatigue: ChicoTR

If we lose this match, our lead in the league drops to two points plus still a strong edge in goal differential. On the other hand, playing any of our top players means risking not having them available for the European Cup three days from now. Rock, meet hard place.

4' - pthighs is out there to tackle LF Gnass. He doesn't come close, but Cowardchen snares the cross with one of his best saves yet - 222 on the roll. Good time for it.

26' - BraveLThreester shows us how it's not done, missing a slide tackle on the flank. Gnass gets a break-in. Not only does pthighs miss the tackle without fouling, but we get another save. Bullet dodged.

38' - Nearly a turnover on a bad pass by iltwocche. Munich counters with a low-odds cross, pass is out for a goalkick and that's the half.

HT - Welp that was not a whole lot of fun. We never got a chance to attack, were under pressure pretty regularly, and are quite fortunate to still be even. I think about making a change or two, but it seems best to stay with what we have.

50' - An out-of-position youngster crossing in the rain to our backup veteran CF. Grouiiik would have only slightly better odds, and I'm saving him. Other options aren't a whole lot better - you may have noticed Munich has a good defense. Not great, but quite good. Easy save for Friedinger.

74' - We are just trying to defend and retain a draw at this point. KG3 wins the second and final roll on his slide tackle against Helwich. Bad things probably would have happened if he missed. We get another shot at a cross on the other end ... nearly scores but it's batted out for a corner.

This is probably our last possession this match. Rainbow Feint is the only thing Friedinger is vulnerable to. It's poor odds at a cross again, or poor odds at getting an entry pass to AJ_IImpy in the box. The rain of course doesn't help with any of this, but that's been a two-way street all day. Grouiiik comes in, iltwocche will take the kick. Grouiiik has 183 against 145 for CD Lobstein and 192 for Freidinger. A reasonable chance but more likely to miss; it's better than any other option.

95 for him. 95 for Lobstein who just barely misses ... 162 for Freidinger. Well both keepers have earned their pay today. Kantwolhu deflects a last-second try by Helwich, and that's that.

A draw is probably good enough for the moment. It feels like we just scraped by today.

3.30 Backpfeifengesichter @ Barcelona
European Cup Quarterfinals, 1st Leg

Minor Fatigue: Cowardchen, BraveLThreester, blackmongoose, AJ_IImpy, Twovery Best, Arctworas, Grouiiik, Nizahaha, ChicoTR
Moderate Fatigue: KG3, iltwocche

Almost everyone can play, almost nobody is fully rested. Barca has a strong defensive setup; most likely result here is a draw and hope they aren't as well-prepared for the second match at our place. We'll give the flank-cross idea a try, but the odds of success aren't great.

2' - They try to pass directly through Twackles. That works as badly as it usually does.

HT - This is in the Top 5 dumbest halves of football I've seen. They stalled; we had nothing better than counter-stalling. Then Barcelona gets sick of that, and Tejada ends the half with this back-pass, which rolls to a stop near the mouth of the goal. Both clubs owe an apology to the paying customers in attendance.

PokiiTax in for The Mattybee who did a lot of running. At least we can try to keep plenty of slide-tackling out there.

50' - Teodoro tackles Tworrannor by an 81-80 margin. If we'd won that, it's probably a goal and a win. The fates, aka dice, are fickle.

66' - Grouiiik cannon shots gets us a corner. They hung out with the ball right next to Twackles to allow that, which I wasn't expecting. There's nobody good enough to oppose us on the header, and it scores. 1-0.

FT - We get a one-goal win and Twackles is Man of the Match. I'd like a larger lead of course, but our odds of holding at home are strong.

Dortmund loses 3-1 to Old Rome, so it's not looking great for them; Marseille drops a 2-1 decision to decidedly inferior Wolfsberg. Manchester is the only top club that does what they're supposed to, winning 2-1 @ Estoril.

Tworrannor starts working on stamina.

4.3 Backpfeifengesichter (13-9-3, 1st) @ Hoffenheim (11-8-6, 5th)

Minor Fatigue: The Mattybee, Grouiiik, KG3, iltwocche
Moderate Fatigue: Twackles, ChicoTR

An opportunity here with our lead down to three points; Hoffenheim has one defender injured and a second suspended.

Chaos from the start. I'll give them credit, they went all out. A run up the flank on the opening kickoff gets by Nizahaha but not BraveLThreester.

Remember, control is all that matters for wingers. They never use their defense. Right??.

Later, a lofted pass misses and ends us with us having to take the ball away from them in the penalty area.

45' - Nizahaha sets up Megane II with a cannon shot. Both rolls fail. Cmon, you don't get that many chances at this. We do get a corner though. Twovery Best ends the half by ... losing on the jump to CD Odenthal. The 30-somethings not exactly getting it done there.

HT - Kangra in for KG3, fatigue sub. Hoffenheim has a tired defender, but the change makes their formation even worse.

52' - Birnbaum is very late on the reaction, and we get a crossing goal from TB2. 1-0.

64' - After an unimpressive but sound tackle by GladRagKraken, we counter with a similar tally. 2-0.

76' - And again, just for the fun of it. 3-0.

Another stamina selection, and a SL record for non-keepers.

Leverkusen didn't cooperate and won their match also, but we gained some ground on the others.

I'll try to be faster with the next update; it's likely to decide our season. By the end of it we'll either have made the European Cup final ... or we won't.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Keeping the dream alive!

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Our Crabs can't be stopped

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2024/apr/27/and-now-for-the-pinchline-competition-crowns-worlds-funniest-crab-joke

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

4.6 Barcelona @ Backpfeifengesichter
European Cup Quarterfinals, 1st Leg

Minor Fatigue: ChicoTR, KG3, GladRagKraken
Moderate Fatigue: Nizahaha
Major Fatigue: Twovery Best, BraveLThreester
Severe Fatigue: Megane II

4' - Flank cross manuever fails: Teodoro makes the tackle on Tworrannor, though it was quite close.

30' - ChicoTR sets up what should have been another chance at it due to Barcelona not having much in the way of offense. Slide Tackle + Long Pass + terrible cross that did nothing.

45' - ChicoTR comes forward and takes it away from their defender; their second time stalling this match but it was just in range for him. Easy cross and score for Grouiiik. 1-0.

HT - blackmongoose in for ChicoTR.

64' - Mejia nutmegs on the wing, crosses for Yepez. Could have scored, but Cowardchen blocks it out for a corner. They set up badly for anothor cross, and pthighs knocks it down.

That was just good enough. Elsewhere it appears the football universe has decided not to resist us. Old Rome beats Dortmund 5-3, Wolfsberg 4-1 over Marseille, and Estoril rallies to knock out Manchester 4-3. All three results are upsets. We get Old Rome for the semifinals and basically have no excuse now if we don't win.

The run on Stamina perks continues.

4.10 Stuttgart (7-10-9, 13th) @ Backpfeifengesichter (14-9-3, 1st)

Minor Fatigue: PokiiTax, Twovery Best, blackmongoose
Moderate Fatigue: Megane II, BraveLThreester
Major Fatigue: ChicoTR

The first half was exceptionally boring.

50' - A couple of good defensive plays by GladRagKraken.

68' - Stuttgart scores off a corner kick, this time we don't stop the header. 1-0.

90' - KG3, iltwocche, and AJ_IImpy combine to barely score at the end, annoying the visitors who almost had a cheap three points. 1-1. We only had 42% possession, but IImpy is MoM anyway.

GladRagKraken starts L2 Head Play training after getting Level 2 Skill Trainable.

4.13 Backpfeifengesichter @ Old Rome
European Cup Semifinals, 1st Leg

Minor Fatigue: GladRagKraken, KG3, Arctworas, iltwocche, 3TatoManJack, AJ_IImpy, BraveLThreester, Megane II, ChicoTR

The usual deal of half the squad could use a bit of rest but they are all set to play.

4' - We start out with Twackles intercepting the kickoff, and end it with our first failed header against GK Savino.

HT - Our slide-tackling keeps the action mostly on their end the rest of the half, but no more real chances. blackmongoose in for Twackles.

50' - Bad pass by iltwocche, missed tackle by Megane II. Not what we were looking for, but stab stops the feint attempt by Francona.

66' - A new play I haven't done before. We can't pass directly to Megane, because DM Acqua has maxed-Intercept. So the pass goes to Grouiiik, then to Megane, then a cross back to Grouiiik who is able to score this time. 1-0.

They dribble through stab, but Kantwolhu takes care of it.

86' - Another crossing goal that we didn't deserve. 2-0, and naturally Grouiiik takes the honors.

Should be enough to put us in the final; we're running out of hurdles here. Estoril and Wolfsberg play to a scoreless draw.

4.17 Leipzig (13-6-8, 3rd) @ Backpfeifengesichter(14-10-3, 1st)

Minor Fatigue: stab, Twackles, iltwocche
Moderate Fatigue: ChicoTR
Major Fatigue: Megane II

4' - An opening power shot is denied by Jaeke.

20' - And another one. They aren't being very hospitable to our attempts to get a corner kick.

34' - Perseverance pays off. Leipzig counter-attacking is getting them nowhere, so we keep getting chances. Our reward is for Grouiiik to get shut down on the cross by the elf himself, LD Keebler.

And then dumb happens. Having nothing better to do, we blast a power shot, it rebounds to Tworrannor, they don't bother to even press, and their keeper commits a penalty foul. The Twackler converts. 1-0.

HT - I decide it's worth using all three subs to give players some rest.

56' - Another corner kick. It's Twovery Best's turn to jump poorly and get stuffed.

74' - And yet another corner. Keebler is subbed out, and TB2 utilizes this fact to get himself a goal. 2-0.

pthighs is MoM, and Coach Level 68 irrelevantly gives us the final tier of the Inspire Footballers ability that I'll never use.

Our lead is up to five points in the league, with six matches left. We are staying in that 'in front, but too close for comfort' range.

4.20 Old Rome @ Backpfeifengesichter
European Cup Semifinals, 2nd Leg

Minor Fatigue: The Mattybee, Twackles, iltwocche, Tworrannor, ChicoTR
Moderate Fatigue: Nizahaha, Grouiiik, Twovery Best, Megane II
Major Fatigue: AJ_IImpy

It's possible this would be a different semifinal if they had played this lineup the first time around. We don't really have a good way to defend a midfield with good passing skills and dual wing forwards that both have maxed-out cannon shot.

6' - Break-in by Tworrannor succeeds but fails to draw a penalty. We get a corner kick, but that's pretty useless in this matchup.

34' - iltwocche gets a yellow for failing on a slide tackle. The ensuing free-kick is used to set up Gislimberti for a cannon shot. 1-0.

44+1' - Tworrannor draws a penalty on the break-in this time, and Dragongem2 converts it. Gives us some breathing room again. 1-1.

HT - A couple of subs come in; we just need to not have the second half be a disaster.

78' - Nizahaha almost stops a long pass, but not quite. Cowardchen stops a cannon shot this time, but they still get a corner. pthighs almost certainly saves a goal by snagging the pass into the box.

90' - They chain together two good lofted passes to get Francona an easy feint goal at the end. We lose 2-1.

We move on to the final 3-2 on aggregate, but this is a good reminder that we're not invincible. We'd have been at the mercy of a shootout if not for that first-half penalty, and we had some luck to give ourselves a two-goal lead coming in. We needed both of them.

More importantly of course, we are in the Final against Estoril, 2-1 winners over Wolfsberg. We've got three more competitions to win, and are likely to win all three, but none certain yet. I refuse to use the phrase that shall not be uttered.

ChicoTR adds 30% XP.

Next update figures to be domestic in focus. We have the second leg against Leipzig in the National Cup, but I'd be shocked if we didn't easily handle that with a two-goal lead. Then we'll have a few league matches to try and wrap up the Premier. If we're going to stumble, it will likely be in one of the Cup finals, with all the risk that goes with determining a champion in a single match. That's a month away yet on the season calendar.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Is that IImpy's first MOTM?

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
We have it in the bag!!

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

AJ_Impy posted:

Is that IImpy's first MOTM?

Nope. He doesn't get them often though; that's his third.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Very nice

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

It's always hilarious to me when a GK gets a yellow or red card.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

The crabs are in the bag and ready to boil!

It's going to be weird if it doesn't come down to being eliminated by one bad round in a tournament, but instead just failing to get enough points to win the league.

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

So much exciting football… it really feels close this time. We have the inside track on everything so it’s time to start buying confetti and decorating crab cakes. Nothing can stop us except ourselves.

Strategic Sage posted:

Remember, control is all that matters for wingers. They never use their defense. Right??.

Thanks for the helpful reminder to change PokiiTax’s focus attribute to Control now that he is playing fullback more often, hooray! (okay point taken, but he doesn’t have a lot of levels left so I’m still doing this out of spite)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

I have half a mind to change it to Accuracy ...