Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Please post itt with your story about your favorite team. I am a Jets fan (goddammit) because my father was 21 years old when Joe Namath shocked the entire world and beat the Colts in the Super Bowl. I asked him once why he was such a devoted fan of a lovely team and he did his best to explain what an incredible upset it was for a loud mouth like Namath to beat Johnny Unitas and the Colts. Also the image of Joe running off the field giving a salute is easily one of the most iconic images in sports history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riMTb36G84A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

when i was a kid i wanted to be a contrarian dickhead so i decided i hated the giants (my family's team) and i decided on the bucs because they were fun at the time (~2000) and i liked them in nfl blitz. this was rad for a couple years then it sucked for 20 years and now it's cool again. the end

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
I'm a fan of the Panthers (lol) because as a SC kid, I thought it was cool that they were called the Carolina Panthers and not the Charlotte Panthers like the Hornets. Got into sports because of them

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

kidcoelacanth posted:

when i was a kid i wanted to be a contrarian dickhead

I respect that lol

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I got into football because I wanted to be able to talk to my father about something that wasn't school or work and football was the only thing I ever saw him enjoy. I picked the Jets specifically because they're my dad's team and because they were actually good when I made that choice in 2010.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Eagles fan via my dad. I did not care about sports growing up, but going to college made me follow the team and learn the game, so when I was back home after school and he would watch the NFL I now understood the game a bit and was able to follow along.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

My dad grew up in southern Oklahoma watching the Cowboys in the days of Roger Staubach. He loves to talk about how hard it was to tackle Robert Newhouse (dads love fullbacks). Anyway I grew up in North Texas and one of my earliest memories is seeing Emmitt Smith score a touchdown on tv. As a small child I had no concept of championships and thought that the Super Bowl was just what it was called when the Cowboys played the Bills. But I stuck with them through the decline and subsequent Dark Ages. And now, whatever our differences or whatever is going on in the world, I can talk with my dad about the Cowboys.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Because my Grandpa loved the Vikings, and growing up watching Cris Carter and Randy Moss ruled.

Now? Cause I'm dumb as hell

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Family inheritance from my father (Giants fan, we're from upstate NY). Dad loved Phil Simms as a player (but grew very quickly to hate him as a commentator). My first real memories of the team are of Dave Brown and Danny Kanell getting strip sacked on just about every drive.

That's pretty boring/typical, so I would like to offer the story of my buddy who grew up less than 5 miles from Gillette Stadium, who loved Drew Bledsoe and therefore transferred his fandom to the Bills as soon as Bledsoe signed with them. Life has been nothing but pain for him until the last 2 or 3 years.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i grew up in the metropolitan area where my team plays, thanks for asking.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

we also had a #72 I Follow The Fridge magnet on our refrigerator growing up.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Rogue Elephant posted:

Family inheritance from my father (Giants fan, we're from upstate NY). Dad loved Phil Simms as a player (but grew very quickly to hate him as a commentator). My first real memories of the team are of Dave Brown and Danny Kanell getting strip sacked on just about every drive.

That's pretty boring/typical, so I would like to offer the story of my buddy who grew up less than 5 miles from Gillette Stadium, who loved Drew Bledsoe and therefore transferred his fandom to the Bills as soon as Bledsoe signed with them. Life has been nothing but pain for him until the last 2 or 3 years.

Nice, another 518 goon

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I grew up in Minnesota in the 70's, watching the Vikings with my dad. I still have a soft spot for that version of the team.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Darth Brooks posted:

I grew up in Minnesota in the 70's, watching the Vikings with my dad. I still have a soft spot for that version of the team.

DIGGS SIDELINE TOUCHDOWN is still one of the all time elite plays in history

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
SE Michigan native, so I guess that's the Lions for me. Gives me an extra something to talk about with my parents, though I haven't lived in Michigan since 2010 and it's tough to get their games where I am now (SE Pennsylvania).

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

My dad bought Madden 2002 for the PS2 and demanded that I learn the rules of football so he'd have somebody to play against. His team was the Seahawks, who sucked at the time and therefore also sucked in the game. I pressed the "Random Team" button and got the New York Giants, kicked his rear end, and then played as the Giants every time after that. By the time I started paying attention to the real NFL I knew all the Giants players and had opinions about them. Been on the ride ever since.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

I grew up in Maryland when the Ravens weren't a thing and thankfully didn't like Washington for whatever reason so I started rooting for the Chargers because I liked their lightning bolt helmets

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

my dad only likes basketball and i didn't know anything about football until i was forced to go to a cookout his friend was having and his friend was a big fan of the cincinnati bengals. the only thing i could do was sit there and stare at grass while all the adults talked or go inside and look at bengals stuff on the walls. that's the closest team to the woods here. i supposedly liked orange a gently caress load as a small child. i don't have that many memories from that time period because of getting a lot of brain hits most likely. i remember a lot of accidents happening to me. fell through a hole in the floor of my house when they were working on something, fell off the porch on a tricycle, got t-boned by a car while being a passenger in our car. well anyway for a little bit after that cookout i would hold onto cincinnati bengal trading cards that i got coincidentally in things like those cheap huge plastic candy canes full of card packs that walmart would sell. all the packs sucked and were warped and stuff but they were able to sell them to dumb asses because it was in a funny package. i didn't give a poo poo about football still until 2001 or so. i followed that team then

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I am from Georgia. My father was a Falcons fan and I obviously hate myself. When I was a kid, he apologized for raising me to be a Falcons fan.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
I grew up in the West Virginia coalfields. There were two teams most people ended up fans of: Steelers, or Commanders.

When I was a kid in 3rd grade Randy had his rookie year. I got really excited because I knew he was from West Virginia, so I asked my Dad if any other famous players came from our state.

Turns out he played high school football against Curt Warner (not that Kurt). Which I thought was super cool.

I didn’t get into sports in general and football specifically until 2004/05. Seahawks ended up in the Super Bowl and because of my Dad’s story/connection, their colors, and because I was a recalcitrant rear end, I pulled for the Seahawks over the Steelers.

Not the worst reasons I guess, all things considered.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
My dad was a redskins fan. I think he’s finally given up on them now and was rooting for the ravens for work purposes. But anyway I couldn’t watch redskins games since we lived out of the area so I just rooted for whoever played in the area we lived in for almost of my childhood (Vikings, rams). I rooted for the Bengals for a long time because I loved Ochocinco but then he head butted his exwife. And then when the bengals drafted Joe Mixon I threw in the towel and let my stepson pick a new team to root for. Big Jeff

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

haljordan posted:

DIGGS SIDELINE TOUCHDOWN is still one of the all time elite plays in history

Being a Vikings fan is a unique form of torture. The Vikings have never been terrible for long periods of time. There have been moments where they werethisclose in every decade of their existence and have had many above average seasons. But every season has ending in some form of heartbreak.

Even this year, they are leading their division and very well may make the playoffs but there are better teams out there and realistically the team lacks that something special of a championship team.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
When I was beginning to understand sports (around 2000), my dad told me not to root for the Cowboys because he, as a Cowboys fan, knew that their best days were behind them. I instead became a ground-floor Texans fan, which might seem worse, but they've won more playoff games than Dallas since 2000, so who's to say?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I guess because the niners are closest to me? I guess. I don't root terribly hard tbh.

And I don't have a college team at all so I'm just rooting for sick TDs and picks.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i'm from new jersey, my dad is a jets fan, but my oldest brother was a ravens fan and my older brother was an eagles fan, and we would vacation in north carolina every year so i associated north carolina with cool stuff so i started liking the carolina panthers

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Who the gently caress knows?

I grew up in Los Angeles and our teams all left so I picked the falcons based on colors and the fact that falcons are cool. Poor decision but I've stuck with it at least!

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
i went to the university of michigan for school. as a result, i have been cursed by a secretive bog critter (the ghost of brady hoke) to always root for the Michigan Wolverines. go blue etc

my hate for ohio state, however, is brewed by watching ohio fans anywhere at any time

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
My uncle spent a few years in the US, and when he came back he was a huge Raiders fan, proselytizing about NFL to his impressionable 11 year old nephew (me). I picked the Eagles because a) I was really into birds of prey at the time; b) I was really into the colour green at the time; and c) I thought Randall Cunningham was the coolest QB.

Years later, when my beloved Andy Reid moved to the Chiefs, they became my AFC team. The Walrus would probably have been enough on his own, but I'm a lifelong Superman fan and, in a way that I suspect only someone truly ignorant of the real US can, thought "Wow, the Chiefs would have been Clark Kent's team!", and felt way more secure in my choice.

🏈

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Both my dad and grandfather were lifelong Cowboys fans (they attended the ice bowl in ‘67) so growing up in Dallas it was the team I was exposed to. Like Alfred P some of my earliest memories are of the early 90s team. They were winning super bowls then so it was easy to be a fan. Stopped caring about sports from about 15 to 24 but after college started watching the Cowboys again as a way to bond with my dad. They have sucked now far longer than anyone expected, but it feels weird to jump ship to a less hated, more competent team so gently caress it I guess I’m stuck with them for life.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

dingo with a joint posted:

I thought Randall Cunningham was the coolest QB.
He was.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I grew up as a Vikings fan, I was 11 when I went to the 98 NFC title game

a franchise like the vikings creates a kind of healthy distance between you and your team, in that you have seen them fall short in ways that actually make you enjoy the peaks more?

like I can't imagine many other fanbases being satisfied by the minneapolis miracle, because everyone in the building knew philly would steamroll us, but we didn't care

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

because I’m a stupid idiot, op

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
My dad was an old Colts fan and became a Ravens diehard from the moment the team was announced coming to Baltimore. He was heavily invested in the team even in the Testaverde/Marchibroda days and got mad when they lost etc. I didn't really care for football at all but I was exposed to a lot of my dad's ranting and the sports talk radio stuff that treated all these games very dramatically like life or death things almost if the Ravens won or lost. Like the Steelers fans invading the Ravens stadium was some sort of actual war crime. I even sort of rooted against the Ravens a little bit because I got a kick out of the ranting and stuff when they'd lose. But then that Ravens vs Jaguars 2000 home game happened and I got sucked into the drama myself and now am a fan.

Also he took me to loads of games around that time so I got to see that team play and also the playoff game against Denver. So it really became a part of me and then to win the SB that same year.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 11, 2022

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Dad became close friends with a Dolphin LB named John who recently was traded from the Oilers . We went to games a bunch, and his gifts were always dolphins related. Lots of great memories tied to them.

But then I got older went away to college and dolphins games became a source of misery and despair

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

R.D. Mangles posted:

i grew up in the metropolitan area where my team plays, thanks for asking.

:same:

I didn't even really watch college or pro football until I started college, saw plenty of HS football though. Then I went to a bunch of college games because I was in the marching band. I came back to Chicago in 03 and the Bears were actually decent back then, so I started watching them more and more. These days, I wish I could go back to not watching football.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.
I spent a lot of my childhood following football in fits and spurts, with only very loose team allegiances - if anything, I was more of a Raiders fan than anything else, but that was as much to do with the branding as anything that happened on the field. (Also, my uncle used to work at a Raiders bar in Kensington, so that helped.)

But then, one year, me and my family spent an NFL opening weekend down in Wildwood, and they showed the Eagles' opener on a giant projector screen on the beach, right next to the boardwalk. And it was this game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OOnse6jg84

Been an Eagles fan ever since.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I'm a standard geographic location/personal ties type of fan when it comes to my sports loyalties, so there's not much more to it than that. I'm from Charlotte and was about 10 years old when the Panthers were announced, so that was a pretty loving awesome time in my life to get an expansion team in my city. Similarly, I went to South Carolina, so I'm a Gamecock and stuck with them too.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
I have 0 family members who even watch football (I'm not American) but my friend started a fantasy football league so I figured I should pick a favourite team. I chose the Vikings based solely on their colour scheme and helmets being dope. Several years later when the miracle play happened I bought a Diggs jersey as the first sports related anything I've owned.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Not American so I had the full slate of 32 teams to pick from.

My local “soccer” team are an irrelevant sadness factory that most will only have heard of because they’re a punch line in Ted Lasso, so I immediately discounted all the depressing teams. I don’t need to sign up for more of that.

That said I also didn’t want to jump right into a Super Bowl contender (at that time), but some good history would be nice to dive into. Also being overseas, it was important to pick a team that still felt somewhat relevant and talked about even if they weren’t immediately winning.

Nice uniforms is a bonus, as is the likelihood of me actually visiting the area the team plays.

All that said, arrived at the Niners. Fun team to follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
NFL - I am from New England and I live there too, boring. Saw some mediocre football and then moved out of state for a while, which made me more of a fan because I could be passively obnoxious to other people and also go to the bar and meet other New Englanders.
CFB - I started getting in to CFB in about 2007 when Chip Kelly's Wild Ride started at Oregon, and so I gravitated to the Ducks because they were doing interesting poo poo, and then just kind of stuck with it. It sucks because I live in New England and I'm too old for PAC-12 After Dark now. My wife went to U of M for grad school and we lived there for a while so I am a kind of passive Michigan fan.
NHL - I am from New England but I was a contrarian Quebecophile as a child so I picked the Habs. I both regret and don't regret this.
EPL - Spent too much time in Birmingham and with Brummie exchange students so I got Aston Villa. I guess I could have gotten Birmingham City, which would have been worse.