Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Darth Brooks posted:

Being a Vikings fan is a unique form of torture. The Vikings have never been terrible for long periods of time. There have been moments where they werethisclose in every decade of their existence and have had many above average seasons. But every season has ending in some form of heartbreak.

Even this year, they are leading their division and very well may make the playoffs but there are better teams out there and realistically the team lacks that something special of a championship team.

I will say that Vikings fans routinely submit some of the most heart breaking emails for Drew Magary's yearly "Why Your Team Sucks" columns

quote:

When the Vikings played the Falcons in '99 I chose to watch the game at a friend's house rather than at home with my dad. Reason being, he was a complete wild card. Items were thrown, things were broken, and this happened during regular season games. Long story short, when I came home after the loss, our house was trashed. Every toy that was visible to my father was smashed. Our backyard, which was full of pine trees, had been decorated by VCR tape. All night I watched that tape blow in the wind, fascinated by what my mother would say when she came home from work. I remember waking up that night to the sound of her crying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
when I was a young lad the Patriots went to so many super bowls that when they didn't make it, I was confused as to why we weren't hosting a party in February that year. also I live in massachusetts lol not a lot of competition for football teams in terms of popularity around here unless you root for NY teams, and I think my dad would have smothered me in my sleep if that had happened

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Bounced around favorite team as a kid in the 90s and then the Titans came and ruined my life

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I was born in Seattle and grew up in Seattle suburbs as a kid, and my parents usually had the Seahawks on. Real big stretch for me to be a Seahawks fan, I know :geno:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I thought it'd be fun to troll my friends with Tebow because of their sheer hatred of him and the Broncos. Turns out Peyton Manning can turn even a lil troll into a fan. Then Von Miller sealed the deal with the SB50 run. I can't say no to this team. also I hate good quarterbacking, OP.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 11, 2022

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I thought it'd be fun to troll my friends with Tebow because of their sheer hatred of him and the Broncos. Turns out Peyton Manning can turn even a lil troll into a fan. Then Von Miller sealed the deal with the SB15 run. I can't say no to this team. also I hate good quarterbacking, OP.

Yeah I can identify with this big time.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Ehud posted:

because I’m a stupid idiot, op

Forgot to include this in my post.

Will almost certainly try to nudge my kid towards being an Eagles fan if we stay around here long-term. I love him too much to to push the Lions on him.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Generally not invested in the Cowboys, but will make a good effort whenever my Texas family goes to visit our sets of relatives in Philly and DC. We just need a transplant to NY and we can get a full circle of hate going.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Grew up in CT. Dad has been a Pats fan all his life and all I remember of football was him swearing at the TV because they sucked. So rooting for the Pats was right out. I didn't get into football until I played Tecmo Super Bowl and it convinced me that Randall Cunningham QB Eagles was god. It was right.

Being an out-of-market fan kinda sucked because I only rarely got to see my team play. But nobody would shut the gently caress up about the Cowboys even though they were even further away. To this day I hate Dallas more than I like Philly.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
At some point in the mid-90s I was reading a Nintendo Power (?) magazine that had a couple pages dedicated to Brett Favre. I got it in my head from that magazine that he was some kind of untouchable football god. Football was the sport my dad would watch every Sunday when we got back from church. I never watched it watched it, but if I ever happened to walk by while the Packers were playing, I felt privileged for the opportunity to witness the football god, even in passing.

When my dad was diagnosed with cancer, I—

No.

That's too dangerous.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
none of your goddamn business op

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
So I’m one of those weirdos who roots for two teams, and they’re both because of my dad.

Giants are because my dad from Brooklyn. He grew up there and went to games starting in the mid-60s when they were entering their 17-year playoff drought. I can give him mild PTSD by mentioning the name Tucker Frederickson (Who they drafted over Gale Sayers and Dick Butkus), any number of quarterbacks from the 60s, or Allie Sherman. There are plenty of baby pictures of me in an Lawrence Taylor jersey, although by the time I was old enough to really follow the team and understand what was going on in the game/season, the quarterback was Dave Brown.

The Colts are because of NFL Films. My dad had a massive collection of something like 40~ VHS tapes of NFL Films stuff recorded off TV starting in the very early 80s, so growing up we’d often just put those on during the weekend while doing poo poo around the house or whatever. His favorite player as a kid was Johnny Unitas, so seeing his highlights and clips of the 1958 NFL Championship game were in a lot of old NFL Films stuff. As a kid, they were a team with a uniform I easily recognized and liked, and think at the time their QB was Jim Harbaugh and they were kinda fun to watch, so that was that.

Both teams eventually ending up with the Mannings was a cool coincidence.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Sniffle weep :cry: :doom:

The Browns

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Spent most of my formative sports years as a baseball fan in Georgia, but we moved to Indiana when I was about 10 and I basically just stopped paying attention to sports. My dad was already a big University of Tennessee fan so it was a happy coincidence when the Colts landed Peyton Manning, and we went to a couple of games over the years but I was never too invested in it.

Fast-forward to 2009, I had just graduated from college and moved back in with my parents for a year (now back in Georgia). As a way of bonding with my dad I helped him with his fantasy football teams, which involved the two of us going to a local sports bar every Sunday for the 1pm games. That was probably the closest we'd ever been, and it didn't hurt that this was the year the Colts went 14-2 and made the Super Bowl. I moved away again the next year, but I found it a soothing ritual in a new city to head down to the local bar on Sundays to catch the Colts game. Eventually I got into fantasy myself, and that was that.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Russell Wilson showed me the way of the nanobubbles and suddenly I was all :hawksin: all over the place.

Really though I grew up in the Portland area so it's Hawks/Blazers/Beavers/Ducks all the way. Went to UO for part of Chip Kelly's wild ride, that was loving awesome.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Grew up ~20 miles south of Green Bay. Grandparents had season tickets that went back to the opening of Lambeau. Two uncles had season tickets that went back to when there was a "kids" section at Lambeau(until one of them moved to California and TURNED THEM IN!!). Lady across the street had season tickets. When my mom wasn't going with one of them to games, we were watching at home. My dad usually hid in the garage or his workshop, grew up as a farm kid and never got into any sports. During the post Lynn Dickey/pre-Majikowski years when GB was at their worst I would usually end up there, too. Mom could and still can yell at the TV with the best of them.

Earliest memory of watching football when I was about 6-1/2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA2fHoUkG2g

I even had a ceramic Packer player in my room with the number 13, which I think might still be in my parents house somewhere.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

quote:

when there was a "kids" section at Lambeau(until one of them moved to California and TURNED THEM IN!!)

Yeah that's a real dumbass move

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

widefault posted:

Grew up ~20 miles south of Green Bay. Grandparents had season tickets that went back to the opening of Lambeau. Two uncles had season tickets that went back to when there was a "kids" section at Lambeau(until one of them moved to California and TURNED THEM IN!!). Lady across the street had season tickets. When my mom wasn't going with one of them to games, we were watching at home. My dad usually hid in the garage or his workshop, grew up as a farm kid and never got into any sports. During the post Lynn Dickey/pre-Majikowski years when GB was at their worst I would usually end up there, too. Mom could and still can yell at the TV with the best of them.

Earliest memory of watching football when I was about 6-1/2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA2fHoUkG2g

I even had a ceramic Packer player in my room with the number 13, which I think might still be in my parents house somewhere.

Did it have the glasses?

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

haljordan posted:

Yeah that's a real dumbass move

Originally they both had one ticket, so he figured it was dumb to keep it since he no longer lived in the area, and who would buy one ticket? This was also in the late 70s/early 80s when they really sucked, so it was kind of worthless. The next year they did a small expansion and all those people got a second ticket. Oops. Both uncles now live in Denver, and the one who still has his tickets flies back for games or sells them to one of his friends. Everyone still gives the other uncle poo poo for giving his up.

Darth Brooks posted:

Did it have the glasses?

It did not, unfortunately.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I was born in the early 80s and a second generation native Miamian. Of course I loved the Dolphins and Canes. They haven't been much fun for 20 years but I'll watch them when it's not a tire fire and I'm not too busy with my kids. It's always something I can talk to my Dad about, too.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
My dad grew up in Buffalo so he’s a Bills fan and so am I

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Because if you root for a team other than the one from where you grew up you are cheating.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nervous posted:

Really though I grew up in the Portland area so it's Hawks/Blazers/Beavers/Ducks all the way. Went to UO for part of Chip Kelly's wild ride, that was loving awesome.

This is a very recent phenomenon. I grew up in Portland in the ‘90s, so I remember there being more coverage of Portland’s pro teams - the Blazers and Jesuit High School - and the two Pac-12 universities than anything NFL. The Seahawks weren’t covered by a beat writer in the Oregonian from memory, and while their games were on TV (CBS AFC West games) they weren’t exactly highlighted. I think there were more 49ers and Cowboys fans in town.

Not even the 2006 Super Bowl run changed things; it was the Super Bowl win. I came back to visit and heard the phrase “support our Hawks” on the radio or a local news show and did a double-take.

So that’s all to say I’m not exactly a Seahawks fan! I grew up with various QB posters on the wall - Joe Montana, Drew Bledsoe, Dan Marino, etc - but my dad was never really an NFL fan so didn’t inherit a team. I did try following Seattle for a bit, but it never really stuck with me the way other teams do.

But I am a diehard Oregon fan, still keep a soft spot for my parents’ alma mater of Oregon State, and still thinking about an NFL alignment. My boy Justin Herbert has been fun to watch with the Chargers, that might work.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

Dietrich posted:

Because if you root for a team other than the one from where you grew up you are cheating.

what about us international sickos

Sex_Marxist
Dec 14, 2016

I LOVE MY DEAD GAY SON
Grew up in the Lehigh valley, lived in Philly for abit, family is Philly sports fans all the way. I also embrace the reputation of Philly sports fans. Grease the polls, eat some horseshit, throw batteries at Santa, what’s not to love?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Man a lot of you are younger than I would have thought for this old dead forum. I'm turning 40 this year :rip:

I grew up in Mass watching mostly bad Patriots games with my dad. He wasn't even a New England native, grew up in California mostly, but adopted the local team when he and my mom moved to Boston. Mostly I remember him bitching about how awful they were but he still watched the games. We even went to some at old Foxboro stadium which was fun, even if it was basically a lovely high school field completely unrecognizable if set next to a modern NFL stadium. Seriously, look at this dump (also lol what the gently caress is that guy's "WE SUCK EM" about)

To be honest my recollection is that until Brady/Belichick got into full swing, Boston was a baseball >>>>>>> football town. If someone was talking sports, chances are it was about the Sox not the Pats. I was at college in Boston for the Pats/Rams super bowl and while people went crazy for it of course, it was nothing compared to the utter statewide shutdown the Red Sox 2004 world series caused. That started to flip over time, having the sport's most dominant team for two decades will do that I guess. I certainly got more and more into following the Pats. But I still never paid much attention to teams outside the AFCE or spent time learning about strategy or history or a season's storylines.

It was fantasy football that turned me into a rob_lowe_hat.jpg sicko who will watch Broncos/Colts on TNF with a deranged grin on my face. A buddy recruited me for a league around 2012 and I got absolutely hooked. Every year since I've just grown more and more deeply interested in all things football, regardless of the team. Which is good, as New England slowly begins to sink back into the swamp from which it emerged. They'll always be my team, though. Sucks for my kids who are just getting old enough to pay attention to games! They're stuck having to listen to me go on about the good old days for the rest of my life.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
They are in the same city as me.

Marie Furie
Nov 11, 2016

I used to be a Chargers fan but gently caress Dean Spanos. Moved to Philly eight years ago, was already on board with hating the Cowboys, and hell, I was used to rooting for a promising team that poo poo the bed when it counted

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Giants for boring inherited reasons. But I’m a dumb fat guy from North Jersey so it was always gonna be one of the two meadowlands teams. Hopefully I’m still a few years away from looking exactly like Carl from Aqua Teen and calling into WFAN in lieu of therapy.

My grandfather was a great guy but pretty sullen most of the time (from all the stories he told me it was pretty clear the Depression and WW2 left emotional scars that could never heal)

..But man the way his face lit up when the G Men were winning and he would yell “TOUCHDOWN GIANTS” into the next room to let my grandmother know was so wholesome. I miss days like that 😌

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I'm old enough that when I was a kid, you mostly only got to see the team from your home region. I went to a few Red Sox games and was bored as gently caress. I went to a Celtics game and I was bored as gently caress. I went to a Bruins game and I was bored as gently caress. Football owns. So becoming a Pats fan was easy.

Docjowles posted:

To be honest my recollection is that until Brady/Belichick got into full swing, Boston was a baseball >>>>>>> football town. If someone was talking sports, chances are it was about the Sox not the Pats.

It wasn't just baseball, football was fourth out of four sports in New England. The region had three legendary franchises and a football team that was very mediocre. The Pats may suck again, but their status as a team has permanently changed and I don't think they'll ever go back to the level of fandom doldrums that they were in in the 90s.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Elephanthead posted:

They are in the same city as me.

It's this op but by god they are making it hard this year (@ Virginia's kids sell the goddamn team you load of failchildren)

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

My dad was career USAF. He became a Cowboys fan in the ‘60s. So, when I was a kid, I rooted for the Cowboys—even had a Super Bowl XII electric football set.

In 1982 we moved to the Omaha suburbs around Offutt AFB. On the way there, we drove through—OK, around—Kansas City. We passed the Truman Complex, and I was dumbfounded by the size of Arrowhead, even behind the Royals’ ballpark. I asked if we could road trip to a game sometime, and dad said he’d look into it.

We attended the game against the defending champion 49ers on December 26. Awful day—25°F, cloudy, windy. That was the Strike Season, shortened to nine games. Both teams cratered after the strike. Attendance was about 26,000. But we got to see Montana, and the Chiefs were coached by Marv Levy, and KC’s great second-year RB Joe Delaney.

Delaney was to be the anchor for the future. The 1981 AFC Rookie of the Year, he had a slow 1982 due to injuries. But he had a great reputation off the field, and was popular and respected by his teammates.

Then he died. On June 29, 1983, he jumped into a lake in Monroe, Louisiana to save three drowning kids. He couldn’t swim, but went in anyway.

I had already quietly become a Chiefs fan. I had a Helmet Hat and a Delaney shirsey. But his death cemented the fandom. It seemed like a proper tribute. We went to one or two games a season from ‘83-‘86. The Chiefs won one exactly of those, in 1986 vs. the Chargers.

My fervor waned a bit after years of bad teams and underperformance in the mid-late ‘80s, but roared back when Schottenheimer took over. The post-Vermiel years were bad, but I stuck with them.

Then Andy arrived, then Our Lord and Savior, the Kwizatz Haderach was drafted. Been a good few years since then. I’ve now been to a divisional playoff, three AFCCGs, and one regular season game since January 2017.

Dr_Strangelove fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 14, 2022

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

K8.0 posted:

I'm old enough that when I was a kid, you mostly only got to see the team from your home region. I went to a few Red Sox games and was bored as gently caress. I went to a Celtics game and I was bored as gently caress. I went to a Bruins game and I was bored as gently caress. Football owns. So becoming a Pats fan was easy.

It wasn't just baseball, football was fourth out of four sports in New England. The region had three legendary franchises and a football team that was very mediocre. The Pats may suck again, but their status as a team has permanently changed and I don't think they'll ever go back to the level of fandom doldrums that they were in in the 90s.

Yeah this is fair. As a kid my family gave absolutely zero fucks about basketball or hockey but when it came up at school I could still reel off names like Neely, Borque, Bird, Parish, McHale, and basically the entire Sox roster any given year. For the Pats uhh I think I was aware Grogan existed until the Parcells and Bledsoe era put them a bit more on the radar.

I’m glad this thread came up. I’m raising my kids in Colorado and it’s making me realize I should show them some actual complete games instead of just watching Red Zone like I want to.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Because Philadelphia is less than 5 miles away from where I grew up

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
They (Vikings) wear purple and various superstitious / complex childhood attachments around the midwest NFL teams that won't make sense to anyone.

It's mostly the purple thing.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
it's the closest geographically located NFL franchise to the location of my birth, those are the rules and those of you who are violating it live in God's shame

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I started watching football around the time I started playing it ~7th grade. At the time iirc Mike Ditka was the HC of the Saints and had just completed the biggest trade in the history of the franchise. We got Sticky Ricky and still sucked out loud. Then, later, Aaron Brooks took over for the injured Jeff Blake, and the team seemed to spark a bit of offensive competency. The next couple years were incredibly uneven, but the franchise started making some progress. There were a couple coaching shakeups and eventually we got Drew Brees and things really started cooking.

The Saints also easily have the best looking uniforms in the league, and as a little kid that was important to me when playing football videogames.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I was a navy brat for a decent chunk of my childhood but my parents were from St Louis so we were bandwagon fans of the rams during the greatest show on turf era but they’re baseball fans ultimately. My interest in sports has waxed and waned but football was always my favorite so when we eventually settled in Chicagoland and then I spent my 20s in Chicago, I became a reluctant bears fan. I’ve gotten a lot more into football the past couple years and decided I didn’t want to watch these bears weekly and I wasn’t born into it or anything so I also became a chargers fan—herbie.

Also have always dug their uniforms and colors, I like a lot of the other players on a roster with not too many scumbags, being in the afc is a bonus. I also wanted a somewhat cursed franchise (don’t know why I don’t consider the bears enough but) that was goodish now, but the bills felt too good and too bandwagony, and that bandwagon already sailed on the chiefs despite my fondness for football walrus and mahomes. So now I get to have weekly heart attacks, which is fun.

idk what I’d do if they met in the super bowl but I don’t think I have to worry about that for a while

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

I was born in Wisconsin, I cheer for the Packers and Badgers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
:mcnabb: