Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OddObserver posted:

Those believed to be gay by Chechnya police are frequently tortured:
https://www.hrw.org/news/2019/05/08/russia-new-anti-gay-crackdown-chechnya

Oh yeah, I know what a piece of poo poo Kadyrov is. Torture seems to be 80% of GDP under him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

Pffft... See below. I'd say it's covered by countries that are federal republics getting an article in German.

The quoted explanation is pretty good. They're listing Ukraine as an unclear case that doesn't fit any of the other explanations why a country would have an article.

In light of the transition of the Czech Republic being called "Die Tschechei" originally and then being changed to "Tschechien" because it used to not be seen as a real country by Germany, I see a parallel with "die Ukraine", particularly considering the pervasive pro-Russian attitudes there before February of this year.

That being said, I don't think there'd be a major resistance now if a move to just "Ukraine" would be widely promoted over there.

Re: die Tschechei, that's not the full picture. It used to be called "Tschechien" in German for the longest term as referring to the Czech-speaking areas of Bohemia and Moravia. "Die Tschechei" only started to get used when Czechoslovakia was formed, in parallel to "die Slowakei" (which is still in use btw). Due to many Czechs associating it with the Nazi regime (especially the term "Rest-Tschechei" after the Sudeten German areas got annexed in 1938) there was a concerted push to revert to "Tschechien" during the last couple decades which also was mostly successful.

Concerning articles in place names in the German language, it used to be that every single area name went with an article. You can still see it when a country name is paired with an adjective, because then "Deutschland" suddenly becomes neuter: "Das moderne Deutschland". In older texts you can sometimes still read about people from "das Tirol" migrating "ins Russland" or w/e but outside of certain dialectal situations this has died out. Some country names still carry the feminine or masculine article with them. For some it's probably because they used to be the names of "Landschaften" (I don't think there is a straightforward English translation for this, but in this sense here a Landschaft basically is an area defined by either geography or culture and not necessarily by political boundaries) which often - but not always! - go with an article, e.g. die Mongolei, das Allgäu and maybe die Ukraine. In others it might be because the country is named after a landmark, e.g. der Kongo (river) or der Vatikan (hill). Generally speaking I think it's fair to say that for the 14 countries which still carry an article in German (discounting the plural ones as well as countries where "Republik" or "Königreich", i.e kingdom, is part of the country's name) the reasons for the continued use of the article are quite varied and not as easy as "Germans don't see die Türkei or den Iran as a real country!" It isn't straightforward with not-a-country placenames either: of all the 16 German states only das Saarland carries an article, and while it might be die Provence or die Wachau other Landschaften like Schwaben (Swabia) or Schlesien (Silesia) remain article-less.

All that said I don't see any concerted push against "die Ukraine", neither from Ukrainians nor Germans so in any case I don't think that this is much of an issue at all for anybody involved.

To get away from placenames, I have seen some rumours that Patriarch Kyril got hit harder by covid than publicly admitted. In the absence of any evidence I'm assuming that this is disinfo, but maybe I missed something and there's something more substantial to that?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

:nms: Footage of a Russian convoy getting hit by rockets taken by a loitering drone (probably what was guiding the strikes). :nms:

:nms:Somehow the Russians are still bunching vehicles up in the middle of roads.:nms:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Somaen posted:

The Baltics, which have been telling Europeans for years that Russia uses energy as a weapon, used the last decade to build alternatives, an LNG terminal in Lithuania, the shale industry in Estonia and a gas connector LT-PL

Checking the actual dates now, out of curiosity:

Klaipeda LNG terminal - 2014
Estonia-Finland pipeline - 2019
Lithuania-Poland pipeline - 2022
Hamina LNG terminal - late 2022, looks on schedule
Inkoo LNG terminal - January 2023, looks on schedule
Paldiski LNG terminal - 2023
Skulte LNG terminal - 2024

There’s also a shelved Tallinn LNG terminal plan. In general, something like Klaipeda+Inkoo should be able to supply all we need, but looking at the way things are going, I think both Estonia and Latvia will finish their own terminals. Latvian, if anything, should be much cheaper to operate than the others, since we can build one relatively nearby to our existing gas storage facility.

Also I’m not sure what’s exactly up with Hamina, seems to be a toy terminal with capacity of 1/16th of Klaipeda?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Saladman posted:

E: Also NL is surprising, since they produce a lot of gas and didn't import much from Russia, so I'm not really sure on how The Economist is calculating these metrics.

IIRC the Netherlands reduced their gas production because the associated tremors were wrecking the towns in the region.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Moon Slayer posted:

:nms: Footage of a Russian convoy getting hit by rockets taken by a loitering drone (probably what was guiding the strikes). :nms:

:nms:Somehow the Russians are still bunching vehicles up in the middle of roads.:nms:

Looks like a full BM-27 MLRS battery - there are command vehicles in the mix and what looks like a truck with a crane on it - and a pair of 2S19s, possibly an understrength platoon. That's substantial.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 12, 2022

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Also I’m not sure what’s exactly up with Hamina, seems to be a toy terminal with capacity of 1/16th of Klaipeda?

IIRC It's sized to supply all local demand in the eastern part of the country where there is a direct connection to Russia and no pipe connected to the rest of the country.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

d64 posted:

I might be repeating something that was already said but re: the gas situation in Europe, hs.fi reported two facts that I thought brought some perspective:

- While gas storage is at 90% of capacity, more than usual at this time of year, stored gas can only cover maybe as little as one third of gas used during the winter months. Previously, most use was covered by gas delivered from the pipelines and only a minor part from storage.

- Most of that 90% is still gas that was received from Russia via pipes. Now, assuming the pipelines stay shut, 2023 looks very problematic; with ship-delivered lng, getting to good levels of stored gas one year from now could be very difficult.

Furthermore, while terminals for receiving lng are being built in Europe, there's not enough spare capacity in lng shipping terminals. If projects started now, it would not help capacity for 2023 or probably even 2024.

All in all, a lot hinges on if the winter will be mild, normal or unusually cold.

Europe is rich enough it will displace other lng buyers. commodity markets aren't first come first served.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1580088362991759360

https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1580089925521018880

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Europe is rich enough it will displace other lng buyers. commodity markets aren't first come first served.

True to an extant but already in Australia there is pushback on increasing LNG exports due to Ukraine https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-12/awu-labels-federal-labor-gas-deal-dud-as-it-warns-of-job-losses/101526790 and historically populations (especially generally disadvantaged ones) get snarky at exporting all commodities overseas. Also today https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-12/eu-countries-turn-to-africa-in-bid-to-replace-russian-gas/101529550 Maky Sall of Senegal talking up how some off the gas being developed needs to be retained for domestic consumption.

What you will more likely see than domestic users getting cut off is that gas that was sold to China and India will be re-routed to Europe as pipelines from Russia to China and India get established.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Barrel Cactaur posted:

It’s already doing that. https://www.wsj.com/articles/europe-scoops-up-lng-choking-off-power-supplies-in-poorer-nations-11657212688

Tuna-Fish posted:

IIRC It's sized to supply all local demand in the eastern part of the country where there is a direct connection to Russia and no pipe connected to the rest of the country.

Ah, makes sense.

System Metternich posted:

Re: die Tschechei, that's not the full picture. It used to be called "Tschechien" in German for the longest term as referring to the Czech-speaking areas of Bohemia and Moravia. "Die Tschechei" only started to get used when Czechoslovakia was formed, in parallel to "die Slowakei" (which is still in use btw). Due to many Czechs associating it with the Nazi regime (especially the term "Rest-Tschechei" after the Sudeten German areas got annexed in 1938) there was a concerted push to revert to "Tschechien" during the last couple decades which also was mostly successful.

Concerning articles in place names in the German language, it used to be that every single area name went with an article. You can still see it when a country name is paired with an adjective, because then "Deutschland" suddenly becomes neuter: "Das moderne Deutschland". In older texts you can sometimes still read about people from "das Tirol" migrating "ins Russland" or w/e but outside of certain dialectal situations this has died out. Some country names still carry the feminine or masculine article with them. For some it's probably because they used to be the names of "Landschaften" (I don't think there is a straightforward English translation for this, but in this sense here a Landschaft basically is an area defined by either geography or culture and not necessarily by political boundaries) which often - but not always! - go with an article, e.g. die Mongolei, das Allgäu and maybe die Ukraine. In others it might be because the country is named after a landmark, e.g. der Kongo (river) or der Vatikan (hill). Generally speaking I think it's fair to say that for the 14 countries which still carry an article in German (discounting the plural ones as well as countries where "Republik" or "Königreich", i.e kingdom, is part of the country's name) the reasons for the continued use of the article are quite varied and not as easy as "Germans don't see die Türkei or den Iran as a real country!" It isn't straightforward with not-a-country placenames either: of all the 16 German states only das Saarland carries an article, and while it might be die Provence or die Wachau other Landschaften like Schwaben (Swabia) or Schlesien (Silesia) remain article-less.

All that said I don't see any concerted push against "die Ukraine", neither from Ukrainians nor Germans so in any case I don't think that this is much of an issue at all for anybody involved.

To get away from placenames, I have seen some rumours that Patriarch Kyril got hit harder by covid than publicly admitted. In the absence of any evidence I'm assuming that this is disinfo, but maybe I missed something and there's something more substantial to that?

In the framing of Landschaften, die Ukraine is the preferred form basically, from the perspective of their preferred etymology for the word “Ukraine”. Also I’m surprised to hear about a push away from Tschechei, when in English they’ve pushed aggressively to go to Czechia, from Czech Republic.

As for Patriarch Kirill, he seems to have returned to regular duties yesterday, but I’ve not seen any fresh photos of him to confirm that.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Honestly, it wouldn't really surprise me if both the original inspection video and the x-ray were random bullshit pulled from somewhere to make it look like Russia is on top of things and will totally catch the saboteurs, yes sir. I dunno if either of them are worth analyzing given the uncertainty of whether they actually have anything to do with the explosion to begin with.

Paracausal posted:

Just to centre the ideological drive of the Russian invasion, remember that the Ukranian homonazis want to force all Russians to attend pride parades at gunpoint
https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1580125305200840704

I'm kinda curious how many of the footsoldiers there are mentally nodding along and going "Yes, that's right, that is indeed the true face of the enemy!" and how many are going "Man, why do we gotta sit through another pointless and boring political speech?"

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Tomn posted:

Honestly, it wouldn't really surprise me if both the original inspection video and the x-ray were random bullshit pulled from somewhere to make it look like Russia is on top of things and will totally catch the saboteurs, yes sir. I dunno if either of them are worth analyzing given the uncertainty of whether they actually have anything to do with the explosion to begin with.

They've totally already caught them. The explanation makes zero sense. Apparently Ukraine was able to sail tons of explosives from Odesa to Russia.
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1580124884742836225
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/1...ea-bridge-blast
Quoting the whole thing since it's not in article but on NYT's constant update line.

quote:

KYIV, Ukraine — Russia’s domestic intelligence service announced the arrest of eight people on Wednesday in connection with the weekend bombing of the bridge linking Russia to the occupied Crimean Peninsula. Five are citizens of Russia, according to the agency, the F.S.B., and the others are Ukrainian and Armenian. President Vladimir V. Putin has blamed Ukraine for the blast, which he called a “terrorist attack,” and retaliated with a barrage of missile strikes against civilian targets in Ukraine this week, killing more than 20 people.

In a statement, the F.S.B. offered Russia’s first detailed version of how it contends the blast took place. It said that the bomb had contained 22 tons of explosives that were shipped out of a port in Odesa, in southern Ukraine, in August. The explosives made their way to southern Russia, where they were loaded onto a truck that was driven onto the bridge and detonated, it said.

The details could not be independently confirmed. Russia maintains an effective blockade on the ports of Odesa, permitting only grain ships, inspected by international monitors, to leave under a deal brokered this summer by the United Nations.

The F.S.B., as Russia’s premier domestic intelligence service, has primary responsibility for security on the bridge. The bombing represented a profound lapse in the agency’s oversight, even as Ukrainian officials telegraphed for months their intentions to strike the structure.

The F.S.B said Ukraine’s military intelligence service, the G.U.R., had masterminded the blast, saying that the agency’s commander, Gen. Kyrylo Budanov, bore personal responsibility. A senior Ukrainian official, speaking on the condition of anonymity because of a government prohibition against discussing the episode, confirmed that Ukraine’s intelligence services had carried it out, and other senior officials have not denied Ukraine’s role.

But Ukraine’s government has not officially claimed responsibility for the explosion, and a spokesman for the G.U.R. dismissed the Russian assertions as “nonsense.”

The F.S.B. and Russia’s main investigative committee “are fake structures serving the Putin regime, and so we will certainly not be commenting on their latest statement,” said Andrei Yusov, the G.U.R. spokesman.

The Crimea explosion, just after 6 a.m. on Saturday, was both a strategic and symbolic attack. The bridge is the sole link between Russia and Crimea, and a symbol for President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia of one of his greatest triumphs as leader: the illegal annexation of Crimea from Ukraine in 2014. The force of the blast sent a large chunk of the bridge tumbling into the sea and set fire to a train pulling fuel that was passing on a parallel railroad bridge.

The bridge is also the primary supply route for fuel and heavy equipment for Russia’s troops fighting in southern Ukraine. Any disruption to the structure would hinder Russian forces’ ability to fight at a time when Ukraine’s military is pushing deeper into territory taken by Russia at the start of the war.

The F.S.B.’s claims regarding the bomb’s size strain credulity, given the history of improvised explosive devices used in recent armed conflicts. During the American occupation of Iraq, the largest improvised bombs commonly made by insurgents were those placed in dump trucks, carrying approximately five tons of homemade explosives.

The most powerful non-nuclear air-dropped bomb used by the United States military — the GBU-43/B Massive Ordnance Air Blast, or MOAB — contains the equivalent power of just over nine tons of TNT. At 30 feet long and more than three feet in diameter, a MOAB can only be dropped from military cargo planes. The Pentagon has disclosed only a single use of the MOAB by U.S. forces in combat, during a 2017 attack on a suspected insurgent cave complex in Afghanistan.

Twenty-two tons is more than double the maximum capacity of most dump trucks. It appeared that Russia’s intelligence services were offering an estimate based on the loading limits for standardized 20-foot or 40-foot shipping containers, which are usually carried by tractor-trailers. In videos captured at the time of the blast, the truck that was detonated on the Kerch Strait Bridge did not appear to be carrying such a shipping container.

The F.S.B identified the driver of the truck as Makhir Yusubov, born in 1971. The senior Ukrainian official said it was likely that the truck’s driver had died in the blast, though it was not clear whether he was aware that the truck was carrying a bomb.

Shortly after the explosion, a man claiming to be Mr. Yusubov’s nephew gave an interview to a Russian news outlet claiming to be the owner of the truck, but denying that he had any knowledge about a plot to blow up the bridge.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Moon Slayer posted:

I can't imagine the mayhem if Ukraine had HIMARS during the famous never-ending column parked outside Kiev in Spring...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://mobile.twitter.com/BMVg_Bundeswehr/status/1580177624516947971

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tomn posted:

I'm kinda curious how many of the footsoldiers there are mentally nodding along and going "Yes, that's right, that is indeed the true face of the enemy!" and how many are going "Man, why do we gotta sit through another pointless and boring political speech?"

I’d say the majority is the latter, since playing tropes about satanists doesn’t really work with largely irreligious millennials/zoomers, and people are more than smart enough to filter obvious bullshit otherwise too, on average. The challenge of dealing with the consequences of Russian propaganda dominating an information environment is not that it’s particularly good at convincing people by crafting exquisite misleading messaging. Instead, the problem is that if let run its due course, it blots out credible information with contradictory messaging of apparent low quality. That has the audience basically withdraw from seeking out information their own, and in the end you’re looking at a reconciliation equation along the lines of “I can’t trust any of this poo poo, but surely the guys who make sure I have running water don’t have it out for me”.

This is why I’m fairly hawkish on blatant Russian propaganda being posted in this thread, in contrast to the western or Ukrainian propaganda. The operating mechanism of the latter is to add to the information spaces messages that further their goals, which you can parse for useful kernels, paying sufficient attention, whereas the mechanism of the latter is to degrade or destroy the information space around them until they’re the apparent least bad option available. By design, a traditional Soviet/Russian propaganda firehose is going to be hot chocolate at high velocity, with little-to-nothing of value to be read even between the lines.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

System Metternich posted:

In the current international context, "Die Ukraine" is a term that looks disrespectful, no matter how it came to be and through which intentions. The fact that there's no push doesn't prove the opposite.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

In the current international context, "Die Ukraine" is a term that looks disrespectful, no matter how it came to be and through which intentions. The fact that there's no push doesn't prove the opposite.

Die Amis, die machen mich alle.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

KonvexKonkav posted:

Die Amis, die machen mich alle.

Was soll der Quatsch? Wäre ja nicht das erste Mal, dass Deutschland von alleine nicht aus seiner Einfältigkeit herausfindet. Internationale Anstöße sind ja nicht immer dumm.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://mobile.twitter.com/meduza_en/status/1580183189309763584

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

I'm all for dunking on the FSB at every available opportunity, but in this case it doesn't seem warranted. The x-ray was of a different truck and trailer as it entered Russia from Georgia. Which the FSB knew and stated as such. That doesn't make the images very useful, but it's not a fuckup either.

https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1580108135963820032

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Was soll der Quatsch? Wäre ja nicht das erste Mal, dass Deutschland von alleine nicht aus seiner Einfältigkeit herausfindet. Internationale Anstöße sind ja nicht immer dumm.

Die USA sind kein richtiges Land.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

KonvexKonkav posted:

Angeguckt, wo Du postest -- weiss Bescheid, Danke, werde nicht nochmal drauf reagieren.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

lilljonas posted:

I can't imagine the mayhem if Ukraine had HIMARS during the famous never-ending column parked outside Kiev in Spring...

Those videos are terrifying. Somewhere there are now tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of conscripts waiting to get stuck in the autumn mud. If Russia stays as foolish as they have been we may witness senseless slaughter of WW1/WW2-proportions.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-blocks-starlink-in-crimea-amid-nuclear-fears-report-2022-10?r=US&IR=T

quote:

Elon Musk blocks Ukraine from using Starlink in Crimea over concern that Putin could use nuclear weapons

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

No idea how trustworthy those numbers are, but if accurate they're pretty incredible. I've seen estimates of 120-170k invasion force, but a lot of that are support personal, truck drivers, medical, intelligence, etc. Actual combat troops would be only a fraction, so (factoring in replacements) that'd be nearly the entire professional army worth of soldiers they started with.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/coupsure/status/1580192286348279809

https://twitter.com/saintjavelin/status/1580011095573827585

KonvexKonkav posted:

Angeguckt, wo Du postest -- weiss Bescheid, Danke, werde nicht nochmal drauf reagieren.

Schreiben Sie hier bitte auf Englisch.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

beer_war posted:

I'm all for dunking on the FSB at every available opportunity, but in this case it doesn't seem warranted. The x-ray was of a different truck and trailer as it entered Russia from Georgia. Which the FSB knew and stated as such. That doesn't make the images very useful, but it's not a fuckup either.

So what was the point? Look how useless our cool x-ray machines are?

This is btw how they're explaining the route:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Lord Stimperor posted:

Those videos are terrifying. Somewhere there are now tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of conscripts waiting to get stuck in the autumn mud. If Russia stays as foolish as they have been we may witness senseless slaughter of WW1/WW2-proportions.

I didn't even think of that. Trying to travel on back roads could very likely have turned from being "you might get javelined if Ukrainian forces are close by and in sight" in march to "your entire company might cease to exist without warning after a drone saw you" this Autumn.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

saratoga posted:

No idea how trustworthy those numbers are, but if accurate they're pretty incredible. I've seen estimates of 120-170k invasion force, but a lot of that are support personal, truck drivers, medical, intelligence, etc. Actual combat troops would be only a fraction, so (factoring in replacements) that'd be nearly the entire professional army worth of soldiers they started with.

I'm inclined to trust Western intelligence sources more on this, and they all published numbers in the ballpark of 60k combined across Russian military and internal troops + LDNR 'volunteers'. Although, if I recall correctly, the latest data they published was before the Kharkiv counteroffensive.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
^^^
Was that KIA or casualties? 'cause this claims to be KIA + wounded enough to be unable to return.

mobby_6kl posted:

So what was the point? Look how useless our cool x-ray machines are?

This is btw how they're explaining the route:

Taking the sea route through the blockade due to the bridge Russia blew up to block ground grain exports being out?

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

Paladinus posted:

I'm inclined to trust Western intelligence sources more on this, and they all published numbers in the ballpark of 60k combined across Russian military and internal troops + LDNR 'volunteers'. Although, if I recall correctly, the latest data they published was before the Kharkiv counteroffensive.

The Western estimates are usually presented with huge ranges, so they're clearly broad estimates, probably based on modeling from sat footage and POW interviews, estimates of how effective medical care is in russia, etc. They're probably best viewed as ranges that the true value is near. The Russian estimates are a little more interesting because, if true, they reflect total losses in capability (e.g. people discharged for medical reasons and not just killed/captured).

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

While I remain sceptical of the 90k number, given the history of veracity of “leaked true casualties” from Russia, I wonder how large is the AWOL/deserters group.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I went to look up Dragon's Teeth and it seems they were primarily used by Germany in WW2?

Pretty ironic for the denazifiers to be using a fortification method favoured by the losing side in WW2. A side that lost to Russia in that war, albeit I don't think they thought to put up dragon's teeth on the eastern front as they were more concerned with invading outwards and didn't have the time when the Soviets pushed back.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/rikardjozwiak/status/1580176384307011584

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1580198808390356992

https://twitter.com/archer83able/status/1580186174026829824

https://twitter.com/guyreuters/status/1580078409606385664

https://twitter.com/oleksiireznikov/status/1579935298225831937

https://twitter.com/oleksiireznikov/status/1579941918720798720

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Tesseraction posted:

I went to look up Dragon's Teeth and it seems they were primarily used by Germany in WW2?

Pretty ironic for the denazifiers to be using a fortification method favoured by the losing side in WW2. A side that lost to Russia in that war, albeit I don't think they thought to put up dragon's teeth on the eastern front as they were more concerned with invading outwards and didn't have the time when the Soviets pushed back.

Unguarded dragons teeth are useless, and the Ukrainians are going to drone bomb any people left to defend them.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tesseraction posted:

"dragon's teeth" is just a generic term for concrete obstacles placed to block vehicles. its not particularly a nazi innovation or anything, except that the nazis are associated with this specific kind of "big rock you put to stop vehicle". otherwise most forces used anti-tank and anti-vehicle obstacles at some point or another

the bigger problem is that russia is digging static trench lines which is a great big no no in the age of cheap drones and PGMs. battlefields of today are completely full of cameras and other things that can spot you no matter where you are, and then drop explosives on you. ukraine has so many videos of quadrotors dropping grenades on tanks. trenches aren't going to do protect against that, if you want to remain unkilled, you have to remain unseen

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

beer_war posted:

If they transferred the bomb to another truck and trailer it still means that the FSB had xrays of a massive bomb being driven into Russia and did nothing about it though which is a huge gently caress up in itself. There's no option that makes the FSB look good in this case.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://mobile.twitter.com/ItsBorys/status/1580213633518567424

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mustard_tiger posted:

If they transferred the bomb to another truck and trailer it still means that the FSB had xrays of a massive bomb being driven into Russia and did nothing about it though which is a huge gently caress up in itself. There's no option that makes the FSB look good in this case.

Every single time something like this happens, Russia's explanation is "The Ukrainians aren't smart and competent, we're just loving stupid." It's mind boggling.