Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

ZombieCrew posted:

I thought i saw Belarus announce that they are going to send in troops with russia. Are they opening a new front or being sent to the current frontlines?

You can't trust anything that comes from Lukashenka. It can be anything, like using Belarussian infrastructure to house and train mobilized, or absolutely nothing. Or he can provide some select units and equipment in exchange for debt forgiveness. Most people that are familiar with Belarus point out that it's way riskier for Batka to send the troops on large scale into fight since he doesn't have either the same grasp at propaganda Putin does, and there's non-zero risk the units might switch sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Or it was just SBU leaning on some smuggler contacts. I imagine there are thriving operations going on that up until that point were quietly ignored by Russian authorities, since they provide useful stuff (and bribes).
I'm more interested in how couple tonnes of explosives got there. Was it shipped from Ukraine or Bulgaria, or acquired along the way between Georgia and Russia.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I mean, comparing some dude that wanted to bump planes with one of the best military leaders in The Commonwealth...

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Anyone remember the craziest weapon buyer Poland? Turns out US might not be keen on selling 500 HIMARS systems, since it's pretty bonkers...
So Polish Gov went on another buying spree in South Korea and got 300 pieces of K239 Chunmoo, which to my untrained eye look comparible.
The kicker: there's no info about that HIMARS order being cancelled... I'm willing to bet those PiS idiots will buy at most 2 loads of cheapest missiles per launcher..

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Yes and that boat isn't going to do poo poo either

Lol that's nuts.
The K239 is a wheeled truck but has two pods of 6 missiles, like the M270. But, as far as I can tell from the wiki article, has incompatible missiles. That's... not a great idea!

I mean for Poland but also for SK to have made that in the first place, as having access to a gazillion missiles from your allies seem like would've been helpful if poo poo hits the fan.

I somehow assumed at least ammo would be the same :psyboom:
And yeah, different diameter. The gently caress... I know the previous Minister of Defense did some questionable things (some people would consider treason..), but I've assumed the new one is saner.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Would like a rain check on something from the thread. Would there be interest in me doing more structure structured, regular summaries of the ongoing discourse? Say, around my morning coffee time, and a follow-up in the evening on the days when I have time for that?

Good idea, if you've got spare capacity. I'll still read all of the post, but I'm already doomscrolling addict.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

He never did, and he won't. Admiring that he's responsible for anything would open him to failure. There are layers of courtiers that stand between him and hard decisions. That way good Tzar can kick some bad Boyars once in a while.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Lol, nope.
Those kind of flights are routine between Russia and NATO countries. That kind of show would require similar reaction next time Russian plane does the same..
Also if they were to give final warning before shooting down trespasser it would be with a gun.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Dick Ripple posted:

Popular Front just dropped an episode about the Russian far right militias in Ukraine, https://www.popularfront.co/podcast. I knew they existed, but was not familiar with the names and individuals involved. Their upbringing in the Soviet times well as all the names that are frequently mentioned in this forum and their history was quite the interesting and suprising part.

I really like the hosts style and type of reporting, has a really good documentary on youtube about Ukrainian soccer hooligans fighting in Ukraine... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsodbPkjO3c1

I'm halfway through the podcast, and it's really amazing, definitely a required source for anyone interested in the topic.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I don't think I saw this in the thread:

https://kyivindependent.com/news-feed/sbu-detains-motor-sich-president-suspected-of-supplying-military-equipment-to-russia

quote:

SBU detains Motor Sich head suspected of supplying military equipment to Russia.

Ukrainian authorities detained Viacheslav Bohuslaiev, the head of Motor Sich, one of the world's leading manufacturers of aircraft engines based in Zaporizhzhia, Ukraine's Security Service (SBU) reported on Oct. 23. Bohuslaiev is suspected of collaborating with Russia.

According to the SBU, Bohuslaiev's arrest is "part of the criminal case on the Motor Sich's illegal supply of military equipment for Russian attack aircraft."

Apart from Bohuslaiev, the SBU also detained the head of the foreign economic activities department at Motor Sich, not mentioning his name.

The detained are accused of cooperating with representatives of the Russian state-owned "Rostec" defense enterprise, "one of the main producers of weapons for the Russian military."

They have established "transnational channels for the illegal supply of Ukrainian aircraft engines" to Russia, the SBU said, adding that Russia used the obtained equipment for the "production and repair" of its attack helicopters Mi-8, Ka-52, and Mi-28. According to the SBU, Russia has used such helicopters "en masse" against Ukraine.

I wonder if it's in any way connected to that story from way back (march-ish) where UA forces found a bunch of Air-to-Air missiles hidden in caches.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Can anyone familiar with Russian laws explain how Uzbek men working in Russia got mobilization summons? Are double citizenship a norm when moving between CIS countries for work?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Sekenr posted:

Dude, they just legalized drafting criminals with "heavy" charges (murder, rape etc) meaning that it was previously completely illegal and noone bat an eye.

Drafting criminals I get. Same with volunteers or mercenaries. What I don't get is going all "navy recruitment by kidnapping gang" but in 21st century.
I've just assumed those workers got some kind of legal status that made them equal in laws and duties to Russian Citizens. Still it's wild. Imagine EU citizen moving to work in Greece being served army summons since they still do draft AFAIK.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Out of curiosity I've checked CSTO charter for that :

CSTO charter article 19 posted:

Any state sharing the goals and principles of the Organization and being ready to undertake the obligations containing in this Charter and other international treaties and resolutions effective within the framework of the Organization may become a member of the Organization.

Resolution on admittance to the Organization shall be adopted by the Council.

(...)

The procedure for admittance to and withdrawal from the Organization shall be defined by the relevant Provision approved by the Council

Looks like they don't expect an influx of new members. I wonder what would happen if Iran has suddenly become interested in joining. Or even spicier - DNR and LNR.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I'd assume morale would actually improve for most soldiers that end up defending a wide river with short logistical line to Crimea instead of having to defend the urban area full of hostile civillians and having that river on your back. Also for people that did man the defense line orderly retreat means they can loot whatever's left and is portable enough to move.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Properly organized Russian defense spending should go pretty far. They just try to do a lot of things at once: huge and modern land army, more planes than EU combined, strategic bomber forces, massive stockpiles of nukes with various delivery systems. And also navy, that's more than a couple subs for that extra nuclear revenge.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I doubt they would let their F-16 trained pilots both take the risk and switch back to their old machines. If there are Ukrainian pilots training somewhere in NATO countries and then they will stay there until the machines clear the border.
The other thing is maintenance crews, unless airbase crews suddenly start talking with weird westerner Ukrainan accent that uninitiated would mistake for Polish..

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Guildencrantz posted:

For example, I am presently loving terrified.

I'm more resigned to my fate, the true EE mood.
Also PiS fucks are probably dancing with joy now, their ratings were so-so lately and more clear danger from Russia will help.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I found this article that collates a couple of sources mentioning PZH2000 service center in Poland:

https://www-konflikty-pl.translate.goog/aktualnosci/wiadomosci/remonty-pzh-2000-w-polsce/?_x_tr_sl=pl&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=pl&_x_tr_pto=wapp

tl;dr lots of bad will and disorganised decisions all around.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Also how would some Polish company service PZH2000 without tech know-how transfer :psyboom: It's either some weirdly translated hot-take or I don't get some point of the discussion.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

High inflation and uncertainty means people with extra funds search safe haven. It's less likely government will take your extra flat than your cash.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Minister Błaszczak was acting reasonable for way too long. After all he needs to fill the shoes of Antoni Macierewicz. I'd like to comment what I think about Mad Antoni, but I like not being prosecuted..

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Prigozin being completely normal:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

There's an Ukrainian Territorial Defense unit using Clear Sky faction patches.

Swamp Boys in action. No idea if they are STALKER players or just like the patch and the colour scheme.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Personally: nope, and every person that's sitting in a cold, dark home will hate Russians even more.
But I get the logic of hitting civilian infrastructure, since it forces the government and allies to switch the volume of help toward helping the people. It also forces the spread of antiair stuff around the whole country.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Of all the countries to start that kind of poo poo Germany is the least likely to succeed. I imagine military and general public would be "uh, nope, not doing that poo poo again" and respond with proper force.

e: as of which fictional universe that story belongs to I'm torn between Nikita and Grimm

alex314 fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Dec 7, 2022

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Yeah, and the best that he can look forward to is being bad boy celebrity in Russia, maybe he'll get a spot on one of lovely discussion shows. At worst he'll get defenestated. Definitely a good exchange.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Donkringel posted:

Thanks for this YouTuber recommend, will check him out.

I am a bit worried about how he seems to over-exagerate in his video descriptions. In the one you posted he has "Millions of Russians contact Ukrainian Authorities and ask how they can properly surrender." Millions? :what:

His latest video has "Entire Division of Russians SURRENDER". I've watched it and, they surrender.. their positions. Then most of them got back on the reformed frontline.\

e: VICE posted amazing video from a battle for Bakhmut.
:nws:- graphic content, some blurred bodies, and aftermath of fights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lpe1OgCbCY

alex314 fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Dec 28, 2022

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Yeah, and Russia got hit with cold wave, which caused a lot of problems.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Seems weird, but expect more dumb stuff from Duda and company. It's election year in Poland, and they don't have much to brag about outside of helping Ukraine.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I'm surprised no country has tried to brain drain Russian middle class. Countries bordering Russia might not want to risk it in case of another Tzar appears and does "Russia is where Russians live" Casus Belli tour. But France or Austria could score some valuable workforce for minor quiet incentive.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

They took the risk, paid the initial cost of buying lightly obsolete stuff, then a decade or three of storage costs. I can't be mad that they get the profits now.
But for the military stuff it's mental that someone would use "just in time" method.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

He 100% won't do that. There's about 48 F-16 in Polish Airforce, and they represent all of full capability airpower. I barely consider early version Mig-29 as capable, and they are A2A only. Unless it's temporary handing over of a couple planes, that will quickly be replaced by US active stock. But in that case it'd have to be already preagreed with US. And Morawiecki would simply play "those crazy Poles, and their ideas" stereotype.

Also reminder to everyone that this year Poland will have an election. It's 50/50 whether PiS stays in power, and they ABSOLUTELY need to keep their power. Or a bunch of people will suddenly get in some serious problems for a lot of shady poo poo they did over last 8 years. Expect more crazy poo poo.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

They've limited the amount of concurrent advances, then unfucked the logistics, and had time to work through issues. Russia still has enough manpower and material to learn a lot of lessons the hard way and keep on fighting. I imagine "mobiks" helped at least in having manpower to free up your valuable combat capable units.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

F-16 block 52 still have a lot of use left in them. It might be better in the long run to have 100 FA-50 and 40 F-35, but completely dismantling the Airforce for a couple years seems very risky. Plus there's a matter of lost skill, and interrupted pilot training pipeline.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

If Prigozhin maintains his position I could see Wagner getting more replacements from mobilized and drafted soldiers that are nearing their terms. "Hey, they won't let you go home anyway. So sign this paper and join us for 6 months. At least if you die your family can afford BMW instead of Lada".
My other guess is that new guidelines for judges will ramp up incarceration. Stuff that used to end up in a fine, or (that term for "be good for x time and you won't go behind bars") will now end up in proper prison sentences.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

They are going to see what Hungary's gonna be like in ten years

Nah, a lot of international business is still happy to invest in Hungary. Probably Orban makes it even better, as you just have to pay bribes on time and not worry about anything else.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Groda posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > War in Ukraine: The bourgeois calculated that this is very expensive

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

All Germany need is a showroom force for military industrial complex and some NATO force capabilities. They have zero threats closeby and no desire for overseas adventures.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Honestly - why should they? Working with Russia is good for Orban, and probably good short term for Hungary. It also does look like international companies don't mind, and even increase the investments in Hungary. You get easily pleased corrupt government, access to cheap energy and a way in to Russia if things quiet down.
But hopefully PiS is destroyed in the voting booths this autumn, so Poland switches back to normal. Then EU can tighten the screw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

Hasn't Poland stopped covering Hungary due to their different view of the war?

PiS still needs Fidesz on their odyssey of grift and lawlessness. But fingers crossed fuckers get voted off in autumn, and then Hungary will have a decision to make. They are very very close of being kicked off Visegrad Group. New reformed group without Hungary but including Romania and Ukraine would be pretty crazy.