Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Since the start of this my big worry has always been Putin's ideological allies gaining power in enough western countries to cut Ukraine off from aid. I'm still terrified of this happening, specially in the US :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Were chatting with my cousin, who lives and was born in raised in Kyiv. He has unfathomable opinions on the war.
-The war is 90% the fault of Ukrainian nazi's. Russia has a historical duty to fight nazis anywhere, if the west had not done a coup and installed a 100% nazi junta this war would not be needed.
-Most of the war crimes are fake news, and while tragic that his own city is being bombed its not the Russian's fault it's the west and their local nazi allies that have forced Russia into the war. The blood is on their hands, not russia.
-Here is a picture of a snowman with an SS symbol on it, this proves Ukraine is 100% nazi and the war totally justified.
-Nazi's are the most vile and dangerous thing in the world based on the most evil ideology ever.
Cousin's ideology:
-Democracy doesn't work and simply gets corrupted by (((them))) so a strong paternal leader is best.
-Society must return to traditional values, wokeism and lgbt will destroy us all if we don't stamp out this degeneracy.
-Orthodox values and culture are best and the church must play a strong guiding role in society. Godlessness is degeneracy.
-A society is only as good as its strength and power of its men, feminism is a ploy to emasculate and weaken societies leaving their women unprotected.
-There are active plots to destroy the white race and western culture and replace them with the asiatic hoards or race mixing.
-Kyiv is a russian speaking city, all the Ukrainian speaking people are colonizers that need to go back to Lviv. Zelensky sent them here as part of a great replacement to genocide russian culture.

Absolute expert at fighting nazi ideology. It's insane what russian propaganda can do to people. There's no arguing with him either because "I live here and experience the true reality, you're in Canada and only have western propaganda"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

More of a personal note, but we got the family out of Russia. It was some doing and not everything done was legal, but they're out of Russia. He's 59 so technically still of draft age and people absolutely do get shook down trying to leave russia at that age and forced to pay big bribes or just denied exit so we were a bit worried. We told them not to move to Russia, we begged them, but they didn't listen. Then again they owned a house just outside of Bucha so maybe this horrible move actually saved their lives. What a hosed world we're living in.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd assume the hopes are longer term for Ukraine. Break the seal on the idea of giving Ukraine western tanks so that it can ramp up and eventually Ukraine can replace its lovely old soviet tanks with soviet ammo with western tanks supplied by western ammo/parts. The west only has so many former soviet nations with old soviet ammo and parts stocks, for the long term Ukraine really want to slowly switch over to NATO standards.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Haramstufe Rot posted:

When it comes to high tech lensy poo poo, it's still very much the case that one of THE leading companies was very much from the former Warsaw Pact

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Zeiss_AG

Sadly for Russia, East Germany is now also in NATO lol

Yeah so much of their actual best manufacturing and technical skills were in East Germany, CZ, Ukraine and so on. I've actually had tankies telling me this is why Russia is justified in re-uniting their empire because the fall of the soviet union unfairly stripped them of some of the most important pieces of their production chains. it's unfair that russia invested in their colonies like that and then had those investments stripped away.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My 2 cents is that this war will be won or lost by which economy gives up first. Either Russia's economy breaks to the point that they can't support the war at a level that remotely would allow victory, or the west loses interest in supporting Ukraine sufficiently. I would also love to see the west going more all out on sanctions and economic warfare to speed up russian economic collapse. The fact that tons of europe is still actively doing business with Russia is horrific.

Things have been "good" for Ukraine for a while now, I mean simply surviving Russia's initial attack was amazing. But the moment western support falters it could very much turn bad fast. I'm constantly really nervous about this happening. I so wish the west would just give Ukraine everything it needs to actually win, rather than this glacial escalation of support.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

China is a bit stuck because if it support Ukraine, even just morally, it erodes its justifications for its future invasion of Taiwan. But if they outright support Russia, they're going to find the trend of the west cutting economic ties will rapidly accelerate. The smart move is to stay out of it and pressure Russia to throw in the towel. Offer to help rebuild the russian economy, do the same economic imperialism in russia as they do in africa.

Going all with Russia is going to kickstart a much more serious cold war between China and the West and I don't see how that's possibly good for China.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

SA becoming a gross safe space for genocide deniers and cheerleaders has been pretty sad to see. I'd say the vast majority of people here are cool, but there's clearly some weird levels of coddling and protection of tankies at the highest level. Cheering on the defense of a country facing an imperialist land grab and genocide gets you shut down, but "jokes" supporting genocide have a well protected safe space to fester.

Over the decades I've been happy to see SA root out the worst in its community and generally be on the right side of history, eventually. We got rid of pedos, we got rid of transphobes, we even kinda got rid of nazis. Having SA as a safe space for the worst red-brown tankies and putin's useful idiots reflectly extremely poorly on the admins and community. Eventually good posters will leave and all the site will be left with are a bunch of stalin simps.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My wife's been checking up on propaganda and general narrative in Russian media lately and watched a few things that were kind of a new angle.

There's been a new thrust saying that Russia is close to achieving all its goals of eliminating Ukraine as a threat by destroying it's infrastructure and economy, and thus soon it could be time to leave Ukraine in order to avoid the "western trap" they've set for Russia. Russia can then pull back to its borders (sadly including crimea) and declare mission accomplished. This will cost the west dearly as they will have to pay to rebuild Ukraine and this will drain the west and since the rebuilding will be corrupt and useless Ukraine won't recover for a very long time. That the west of course started this war in an attempt to "trap" russia, but Russia is too smart and instead rushed in, achieved its goals, and will leave before the trap can be sprung. And this all gave russia extremely valuable military experience, so after this war Russia will have the most experienced military in the world. Oh also if Russia leaves it means the sanctions will all instantly fall of course.

I'd love to think this is Russia planting seeds for spinning its withdraw as a sort of "mission accomplished!" lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm often too scared to post or discuss anything in this thread because it feels like one of those weird hyper-moderated reddit subs like r/relationships that have so many rules you could really interpret almost any post as possibly ban-worthy depending on how one of the myriad rules is interpreted. Like they have a "no posts involving violence or crimes" which yeah, makes sense as people don't want to read disturbing stories about physical abuse in a relationship. But then they'll go and ban someone because the story they posted involved their roommate not giving them enough sympathy after they stubbed their toe. Toe stubbing = violence as part of a story, thus ban.

I'll so often read through this thead and see probe after probe after probe for seemingly fine or even interesting content, then I'll click on the probe and it will just be some "read the rules!!" sort of reason. I think it's good to have a very serious no-jokes no side chatter thread for this, but I really yearn for a more casual but safe discussion zone to supplement it.

I end up just mostly shooting the poo poo with some of my Ukrainian friends to get that mix of news + shitposting + solidarity.