Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's still astounding to me that seven months later not only has Ukraine managed to hold on, they're actively pushing back to reclaim territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rigel posted:

Its also interesting to me that this fact does not seem to be widely known, at least not where I'm at. Ukraine recently came up in conversation, and the people I was with were very surprised to hear that the Russian army was doing very badly and getting pushed back. The general thought amongst people not following closely seems to be "well I hear Ukraine is doing OK so far, but they aren't going to win, and that is just too bad".

There does seem to be a common wisdom that no matter how plucky lil' Ukraine is it cannot win against the Russian bear, which is what I originally thought when the invasion began in February. I think only by paying attention to the major beats do you start to pick up on just how poorly organised and equipped the Russian army are, which means that when Ukraine take back places in Donbas you don't just casually hear it in a news headline and think "oh okay, the tug of war continues" rather than realise how bad Russia have to be getting beaten back to lose where they have the most reinforcement and supply.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MrYenko posted:

It this point I don’t think it’s a question of whether Ukraine pushes Russia back to 2/22 borders, but what Putler does when they begin the liberation of Crimea.

Crimea is another part that I would have thought of (ironically) a bridge too far, but them crippling the Russian supply line from the Kerch Strait means it's actually becoming very possible. Doubly so if they can keep the Azov sea clear and launch naval support from the western mainland...

...actually I've lost track, are there any Ukrainian marine vessels still intact? I'd assume so given how much hell they gave Russia at Odessa.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

It's slowed down a bit recently, but yeah, their resilience has been impressive.

Which I'd argue is fair - part of the reason Russia kept losing territory in the early period was because it 'gained' it and then launched forwards without really settling in. Very easy to recapture such tenuously claimed areas and slowing down to entrench the frontlines is more viable long-term.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Saladman posted:

Also I guess Norway is unaffected/actually benefits

Norway is 99% renewable energy with the other 1ish% burning wood. Benefits from having a shitload of coastline for hydroelectric and wind. It's why they make bank selling oil and gas to other countries without using a drop for themselves.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

PerilPastry posted:

Stating your willingness to exterminate millions of people and calling Zelensky "Hitler 2.0" in the same breath without even a flicker of self-awareness is really something.

Honestly when I read the numbers he gave my first thought was "well at least he didn't say six million." Incredible ghoulishness given how many Ukrainians and Russians were slaughtered in WW2. Seriously, the numbers/percentages are insane.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I like the idea he personally went door to door asking.

Sadly the reality is he probably just murdered anyone who got 'caught.'

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OddObserver posted:

Those believed to be gay by Chechnya police are frequently tortured:
https://www.hrw.org/news/2019/05/08/russia-new-anti-gay-crackdown-chechnya

Oh yeah, I know what a piece of poo poo Kadyrov is. Torture seems to be 80% of GDP under him.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I went to look up Dragon's Teeth and it seems they were primarily used by Germany in WW2?

Pretty ironic for the denazifiers to be using a fortification method favoured by the losing side in WW2. A side that lost to Russia in that war, albeit I don't think they thought to put up dragon's teeth on the eastern front as they were more concerned with invading outwards and didn't have the time when the Soviets pushed back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Relatedly https://twitter.com/TheInsiderPaper/status/1580216571083259905

Could've shut the gently caress up and absorbed the passive praise but nope.