Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

kemikalkadet posted:

I was thinking about the brain-drain effect of mobilisation the other day. A russian aviation blogger I follow suddenly went silent after the mobilisation announcement and I was worried they'd got him. He went radio silent for almost a month after usually posting 2-3 times a week, then a few days ago posted a comment on one of his articles that he'd fled the country. He's an aircraft technician and repairs commercial jets for a living so a skilled job, I can only imagine skilled workers are fleeing across all sectors which is going to have all kinds of negative effects on their economy.

Skilled workers are likely to find permanent work in their new countries too so the chances of people fleeing mobilisation ever returning are somewhat slim.

As much as I get the sentiment from some countries refusing to accept Russian refugees on the grounds they should make some effort to sort poo poo out at home, making it easy for them to flee someplace safe is easily the best way of causing both short and long term damage to the Russian economy.

Inflicting long term harm will be important because there's a large number of Russian ultranationalists who would love to rearm and have another crack at Ukraine, and that's going to be much harder with an economy on the rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

It really seems to me that Putin is quickly running out of options, and this is quickly becoming one enormous sunk cost fallacy.

I think the only realistic option he has is to hold on and hope that a lack of gas causes Europe to pressure Ukraine into accepting something that can be passed off as a win in Russia. After that? There's not much left by that point.

Early spring next year could well be a major inflection point in the war because this is when it will become apparent that Europe has made it through and further pressure on energy markets is unlikely to help Russia's cause. The question then becomes whether Russia is willing to engage in a forever war against a near-peer opponent while suffering sanctions, incurring long term (potentially permanent) economic damage, and facing political backlash at home.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Is there likely to be an uptick in US aid now the midterms are out of the way and Biden doesn't have to worry quite so much about domestic political blowback if Russia starts rattling the nuke sabre again?

I very much doubt they want to head into the presidential election with this war still going on and upping the ante with lethal aid would likely bring it to a faster conclusion.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Popete posted:

The last time NATO was seriously concerned about a full scale Russian invasion was 30+ years ago. Equipment and priorities have changed.

Also the U.S. and other NATO countries aren't sending everything they have. They need to ensure they have sufficient stocks for their own forces.

NATO can probably afford to send most of their war stocks simply because Ukraine is fighting the war those stockpiles were intended for. After this there is no significant military threat in Europe for several decades at least.

The Russian conventional forces are already a shadow of their pre-war selves, in 8 months they've burnt through stockpiles that took the entire Cold War to accumulate and it's going to take a long time to rebuild them to that level. In reality, given Russia's economy is a bit smaller than Italy's so unless they go North Korea-style with the military spending they're probably not getting close to their pre-war combat power.

The only other significant military threat to the western nations and their allies comes from North Korea and China, and US air and naval power is probably sufficient to take care of that for some time yet.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Isn’t there some convention about nations not targeting the heads of other nations during war?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

looking at the topography of the spit, it's less than half a mile wide and only a few miles long, almost completely flat, with some sparse trees and buildings for cover

it seems like ukraine actually attempting a sustained landing there would be like the us marines fighting the island hopping campaigns, only without naval superiority, air superiority, artillery superiority, logistical superiority, or numerical superiority. obviously the russians don't have the moral or cohesion of the japanese, but christ if they could actually gain a lodgment on this ground it would be because the russian army in front of them has effectively ceased to exist

Until there's actual photos of heavy equipment and a substantial number of troops I assume it's just a couple of squads blowing poo poo up and making a ruckus in the hope the Russians divert their forces to deal with it.

If Russia doesn't interrupt them and they're actually able to establish a bridgehead, well, lol

I guess it could have started out as a deception but if Russia doesn't take the bait Ukraine might decide to turn it into an actual offensive.