Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Elyv posted:

Perun is great.

he's got some excellent videos about driving back an invasion of mind controlling extraterrestrials and their collaborators, and also he did a couple about Terra Invicta

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ynglaur posted:

If India and China want to be seen as global leaders, they need to start having opinions on questions such as "should one country genocide another country".

I don't think you really want to hear Modi's opinion on genocide

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean if you want to know what a fair democratic independence referendum looks like, the best example I can think of is Brexit . . .and even that was deeply influenced by Russian influence campaigns. Maybe Irish or Scottish independence?

Either way I think you probably need at least a generation of peace first, possibly more.

surely there's some level of actual, if in the case of Brexit very stupid, popular support where Russia supporting a thing doesn't mean it's illegitimate

If Putin had limited his land grab to Crimea, it's possible-to-likely it would have stuck. Support for joining Russia was genuinely reasonably high, Sevastopol was something that in practical terms Russia was never going to willingly lose, and in general it would be a whole hassle for uncertain gain. Unfortunately, Putin decided he also wanted a big chunk of SE Ukraine and/or to ruin it as a demonstration to other nations in the Russian sphere, and also at some point lost the plot and decided Ukraine isn't a real nation and needs to be Russified.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

By extension, if Russia does lose Crimea (which I'm still not sold on but has become significantly more likely), it is entirely because they were boneheaded enough to do all the other horrible things and start this war.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Besides that, Sevastopol was a huge Russian naval base inside Ukraine, so any polls have to be viewed through the prism of "did people speculate in their responses if the city would just die economically if Russia eventually withdrew" as well as "did Russia spend hundreds of millions of rubles to influence the public opinion to be favourable to Russia".

The answer is "yes" to both, probably.

I mean yeah, that's why self determination of Crimea pre-2022 is an interesting test case for me, particularly to compare against Brexit / Scoxit / Rojava / northern Sri Lanka (don't get me started :v: )/ what have you. It's clearly either close to or over the "actually, no" line but it helps me try and calibrate my thoughts on other examples.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Belteshazzar posted:

One simple issue is that in order to buy political ads or pay off stooges in the media you need to get money out of Russia and into the target country and that's been harder to do since sanctions largely cut off access to Russian banks early in the invasion.

I hadn't actually heard that take before, I'm sure it's not the majorest reason (other posters have made good arguments) but it certainly seems like a plausible contribution.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Arzachel posted:

What about the self-determination of the Crimean people who fled the invasion or got ethnically cleansed in the 8 years since

I'd actually be curious what the numbers on those are, but I suspect the answer is "gently caress if we know, partly because there's no reason for the Russian administration to evaluate or accurately report those numbers". Maybe some human rights org did a study? It's been almost a decade.

also to my understanding very few Tatars emigrated and their approval of Russia is very low; they're not exactly a majority, due to Russian actions over the last couple centuries, which is why they're getting hosed with yet again

one assumes you were talking more about non-tatar anti-russian crimean Ukrainians, and I don't really know beans about that demographic

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 15, 2022

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

My personal experience having a home in Crimea (parents and siblings still live there) is that the Tatars were coming back, slowly, before the Russian vote was held. There were small Tatar villages around the area, mosques, and schools.

Once Russia took over, folks that were thinking of moving to Crimea cancelled those plans.

oh that's interesting, and a bummer

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

thanks for the numbers post

e: also looks like i was terribly wrong on the tatars

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 15, 2022

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

while this is an excellent essay i cannot restrain myself from a quibble, and in fairness, this is dnd

quote:

In my office I have a printed edition of a kitab, a Crimean Tatar prayer book from the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, using Arabic script, but in a Polish-Belarusian language with Turkish phrases. Its first words, enticingly, are "This is the key to heaven." It bespeaks a coherent Crimean Tatar culture that endured for centuries extended well beyond the borders of the Crimean Khanate itself.

kitab literally means book :mad:

otoh it's a very solid point outside of the amusing linguistic error

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

e: nm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Family Values posted:

'In my office I have a printed edition of a book, a Crimean Tatar prayer book...'

That seems fine to me. It's a printed book and not a manuscript. Implying that it's one of many that were made from a press, which reinforces his point.

Or are you saying that the word kitab can only ever refer to a printed book?

eh, not worth squabbling about i suppose