Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Those straight trenches are bugging me because I thought you really, really wanted them to wind and wiggle so somebody couldn't penetrate somewhere and just mow down both ways with machine guns.

Also to limit the effects of the blast if a shell gets lucky and lands right in the trench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Hannibal Rex posted:

https://twitter.com/yaffaesque/status/1582016373588254721?t=vfCrzK6YiM2GUU7FTPHVzA&s=19

An account on how dysfunctional the Russian foreign office is, by the diplomat who resigned in protest.

I always laugh when the line "Americans are soft and will never respond to a suprise attack on American soil" gets trotted out. Historically it's like the one thing guaranteed to turn the American public into frothing mad revenge elementals dedicated to bombing something .

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Charliegrs posted:

Does Russia have any versions of T55s they can use if they really start running out of tanks or have they all been sent to the scrapheap?

I think they claim to have sold or scrapped all the remaining ones but IIRC they claimed the same thing about the T-62 and here we are.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Charliegrs posted:

Isn't it true that the A10 Gatling gun is scary as hell but wouldn't actually destroy a modern tank? So I wonder how the tungsten ball bearings from a HIMARS round would compare to that.

The A-10's gun might struggle fully penetrating a T-72/T-80 from the sides at any practical range that doesn't involve the plane also ramming the tank (less so the rear or roof/engine deck) but as others have said a hundred almost penetrations will still gently caress up a tank something fierce. Not to mention when the A-10 was developed the Soviets and the wider Warsaw Pact were still using a fair number of T-55s and T-62s which it would 100% get hosed up from the side by bunch of 30mm depleted uranium rounds. But there's a reason the A-10 was also designed around firing half a dozen Maverick missiles at targets at range, or dropping a bunch of cluster bombs and not just the gun.

Tanks aside, the A-10s gun will absolutely shred anything lighter like a BMP from the front in a way that the average 20mm Vulcan on US planes might have trouble doing.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 18, 2022

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

Gepard uses 35mm ammunition which is a common enough caliber. Is there something unique about it? Otherwise, why do they need to get it from specialized factories?

Yeah the 35mm Oerlikons used by the Gepard are used on a number of different platforms. A ton of NATO countries have the static ground mount sitting around, Japan's Type 87 self propelled AA platform uses the same guns and ammo, as does Finland's Marksman. Hell even China license produces the drat guns and ammo. That's one thing there shouldn't be any shortage of really.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 3, 2023

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Salisbury Snape posted:

I can't find the article but it turned out those 'decoys' were russian stock that they stole during 2014 land grab, didn't change the camo, got confused and blew them up.

I think those were some S-300s they claimed they destroyed, not HIMARS.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Getting more of the special French cartridge it shoots sounds like it potentially could be a issue but I have no clue how much France will give them or how much they've got laying around.

France has had 240 of the things in service until recently which should translate to a decent amount of ammunition laying around.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Sad Panda posted:

Isn't there a standardised NATO tank? Just wondering as the concern of here's a handful of another tank that you need to train the operation and maintenance. Seems like it will segment things even more.

There's no standard tank but they all generally standardized around a single tank gun, or at least something close enough so they can all use the same ammunition.

Like the Leopard 2, M1A1/2, Leclerc, Japanese Type 90/10, Korean K1A1/K2, etc... are all different tanks but all use some version of the Rheinmetall 120mm cannon at least partially so if a war did happen there'd be a simplified logistics situation with regards to ammo. Before that it was different versions of the 105mm L7.

Not to say they never tried though. Germany and the US tried to make a single co-designed tank in the 60s and 70s with the MBT-70 program but it failed for a number of reasons.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 9, 2023

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Charliegrs posted:

How was the US able to supply Iraq with Abrams? I mean ok so Iraq wasn't involved a massive war with a neighboring country at the time but what about all the other logistical challenges? I believe they got export versions and the armor isn't the same as what the US versions have but is it the same engine? Did the US have maintenance personnel on site in Iraq?

They had a lot more time to get things together. The US first leased M1A1s to Iraq in 2008 for training and then didn't start delivering them proper for two years. That's a lot of time to train crews and maintenance personnel, get logistics up and running, etc...

Not to mention fuel was probably less of a concern for Iraq than Ukraine.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It is wrong lol. People absolutely lose wars without instantly losing their hold on power. Putin's grip on power is, as far as anyone can tell, still very solid. All the factional bullshit currently is specifically over positions 1 or 2 steps below Putin.

Take Saddam. Achieved none of his goals from invading Iran while losing a few hundred thousand dead. Stayed in power. Proceeds to get his army absolutely annihilated a few years later in the Gulf War. Still stayed in power.

Sure there were uprisings and rebellions but with enough of a stranglehold on power losing a war or two sure as hell doesn't necessarily mean regime collapse.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

Yep, very aware. I'm not sure Ukraine has any DU rounds given they were developed after the Soviet Union broke up, but Russia absolutely has them.

The Soviets did develop a couple DU APFSDS rounds in the 80s (3BM29, 3BM32) but IIRC they weren't nearly as common as tungsten rounds.

Either way as to what 125mm rounds are being used at this point, who knows. A war like this is going to burn through the best stuff pretty fast. There were already reports of Russia fielding 3BM42 like mid last year, and that was a round from the mid 80s (that they had absolute piles of to be fair).

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Zudgemud posted:

While the Leo1 is wet paper compared to most tanks the base model has over the years been upgraded with various kits which makes it a bit more armored. So depending on the version it might have a tile of composite armor bolted on somewhere!

IIRC the only Leo 1s that ever actually had a composite kit in service was the Canadian Leopard C2 with the MEXAS add on armour and those were all scrapped a while ago I think.

Either way while it's no Leopard 2A4 in terms of armor or gun an upgraded Leopard 1A5 can still punch decently hard against the older T-72s being thrown around (or anything from the side or rear) if they can scrounge up some DM63 or M900 ammunition, would have a fairly effective fire control system and thermal imaging system, etc... It's definitely still useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Burns posted:

A question on the ICC. How did guys like Slobedan Milosevic etc eventually end up there? Are they basically extridited by the current government of whatever country to the ICC?

After Milosevic was ousted following a lost election and subsequent strikes/protests when he refused to acquiesce he was originally arrested by Serbia under suspicion of corruption and abuse of power but the new government was pressured to turn him over to the ICC under threat of cutting off financial aid and they transferred him.