Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

I was thinking about the brain-drain effect of mobilisation the other day. A russian aviation blogger I follow suddenly went silent after the mobilisation announcement and I was worried they'd got him. He went radio silent for almost a month after usually posting 2-3 times a week, then a few days ago posted a comment on one of his articles that he'd fled the country. He's an aircraft technician and repairs commercial jets for a living so a skilled job, I can only imagine skilled workers are fleeing across all sectors which is going to have all kinds of negative effects on their economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

A portion is due to them focusing their efforts elsewhere, they are less trying to influence the US here and more trying to influence China/India to support them.

Also Africa. They're leaning in hard on the anti-colonialist angle (without irony). There's an obviously well justified view in most African countries that the west in general exploits smaller/poorer countries and Russia is pushing the narrative that that's what it's doing to Ukraine.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

Charliegrs posted:

Are any western air defense systems any good against these suicide drones? I'm not even sure any of them have really been put to the test against this kind of threat. I wonder if the systems that were designed to take out small mortar rounds and rockets would work? Things like the CRAM and Iron Dome. I think a mortar round is even smaller than a Shahed and flies a lot faster. The Iron Dome would probably work great, unfortunately that's probably the system Ukraine is least likely to get.

If you want a deep dive on it, the latest Perun episode is all about that stuff. Worth a listen. There’s plenty of stuff that can work in theory, the cost of it vs. The cost of the incoming munition is a factor plus the logistics of having them in the right place and providing enough coverage. I’m sure this is all being mathed out by the people that pledged more air defence following russias cruise missile barrage after the Kerch bridge bombing.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

MikeC posted:

In general, in the military world, the term released generally involves the weapon being activated. The Guardian and the BBC both have articles in which the verbiage being used is that it was released beyond visual range and that the spy jet promptly retreated.

This means that it is unlikely the weapon just fell off. If it just fell off, it would be unlikely that it was detected from beyond visual range or that the spy place would feel threatened just seeing an object on radar fall to the surface. It almost certainly meant the missile was launched.

They likely refrained from using the term fired since it carries an aggressive connotation when they have already determined that the spy plane wasn't targeted and the missile never got close to the plane.

Beat me to it. At least in British mil terms, and I assume other countries use the word in the same way, a “weapon release” means the weapon was fired. I’m not sure if it’s a lawyer-like term to not apportion wether it was deliberate or not. It specifically doesn’t differentiate between the weapon being fired deliberately or accidentally.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

Wonder what he means by this. Ukraine certainly doesn't control the Antonivskii bridge in the traditional sense, probably not the Nova Kakhovka dam either. They're both in long-range artillery range but they're not physically in control of each crossing made on the bridges.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i found it interesting that the russian defense ministry has actually directly denied this occurred and instead said that the regiment in question has successfully advanced 10 kilometers into the ukrainian lines over the last two weeks

reuters characterizes the official denial as "rare"

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-issues-rare-denial-pointless-losses-by-brigade-ukraine-2022-11-07/

i find the bit about advancing 5 kilometers a week hard to believe, but i'm not sure about the casualty figure

either way it points to the defense ministry feeling pressured enough over the conduct of the war that they felt the need to directly address telegram rumors

I can believe the advancement claim. Looking at livemapUA, Russia was never in control of Pavlivka and they've made progress towards it in recent weeks. They took Yehorivka to the south a week or so ago. I think as far as I can tell, Russia was slowly advancing in that direction, met Ukrainian resistance at Pavlivka, then stopped advancing. Whether the Russian troops had such a crushing defeat there is less certain but it does look like their advance was halted.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

Dolash posted:

It's got to take more than a few days to consolidate such a big advance, right? The lines have to stabilize, new weak spots have to be uncovered, units have to be rebuilt and relocated, and that's all without factoring in winter.

Taking Kherson feels like the last big goal of the two-pronged Summer offensive, and that needed a lot of lead-up. Even if the winter doesn't become a total stalemate, things are bound to slow down for a bit.

To an extent, but there wasn't much heavy fighting to take all the territory north of Kherson, they were pretty much rolling through abandoned ground unopposed. Kherson is also quite easily defensible thanks to the river so they won't need to spend as much time digging defensive lines, just a lot of cleanup: bridge building and de-mining. It's also unlikely that Russia will stage a ground offensive against Kherson in the near future.

I'd imagine they'd station a defensive force there and transfer the rest to other fronts: Attacking south from Zaporizhzhia or shoring up other fronts in the Donbass. No idea what kind of numbers they have in each location or the state of them though so it's idle speculation. I'd expect them to hold Kherson as a defensive line rather than push out from it right away though.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

Dwesa posted:

So, those three killed were actually pilots?

Killing 3 people in an area where pilots are waiting isn’t the same as killing 3 pilots. It’s possible and probable that there were other people in the same spot besides pilots.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

Neorxenawang posted:

Not a native speaker, but I'm pretty sure it's literally "in the direction of X," ie "going towards X."

Yeah this. it just means attacks in the direction of/directed towards that particular settlement.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Small housekeeping update for the thread – I have resigned from being a D&D moderator.

Thanks for keeping this thread one of the most level-headed places to chat about the Ukraine conflict on the net.

Paladinus posted:

There are also some something else going on at the same time on the other side of political spectrum. Coincidence or not, but Igor Strelkov (Girkin), is under friendly fire from the most visible far right personalities in Russia. Strelkov says he wanted to give another try joining the military, and that Wagner promised to accept him, but at the last minute he decided against it due to potentially hostile work environment. Rogozin, Milonov, and even Prigozhin himself in unison call him a coward and a liar, doubting his military credentials and how involved he really was in conflicts in Bosnia, Moldova, and Ukraine. Some selected quotes below

Previously I theorised that Strelkov's apparent untouchability, despite his sharp criticisms of the high command and Putin himself, was due to Kremlin's understanding that he was the only voice the far right 'patriots' listened to, and Strelkov was used to vent their frustration about Russia's military failures, while maintaining overall support of the war. Now that Prigozhin, who is Putin's close friend, has established himself in a similar role (sans criticising Putin), Strelkov might actually be in trouble. Case in point, Moskovskij Komsomolets's tabloidy headline for the story is 'Prigozhin DESTROYS Strelkov With One Sentence', and the article is full of barbs about Strelkov's critical view of Putin.

https://www.mk.ru/politics/2023/01/27/prigozhin-unichtozhil-strelkova-odnim-predlozheniem.html

What has Girkin been up to lately? I think the last time I heard anything from him he had just announced he was going to the front and posted a picture of himself standing at a motorway junction. Don't think i've seen any of his blog postings or similar since and honestly I'd forgotten about him until just now.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

I imagine the pilot training announcement is a momentum builder rather than any hint that jet donations are on the way. Similar to how the Challenger MBT donation was more of an ice-breaker than anything to get the ball rolling on MBT donations from other nations, having a bunch of pilots already trained to fly NATO jets removes an excuse/obstacle to not delivering them.

E: I do wonder what we'll train them on though. We fly Typhoons and F-35's which I doubt we'd donate in any significant numbers. We also train with Hawk T.2's and host F-15s from the USAF.

kemikalkadet fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Feb 8, 2023

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

We have been training the Qataris on the typhoon for a few years so there is already a training program for it in place already.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

Tomn posted:

Would it? I was under the impression that the Russians were lobbing these cruise missiles from an airbase near Moscow. I don't think BVR missiles reach quite that far, do they?

Yeah the KH-55s they're launching at Ukraine can reach over 1000km. What does an air to air missile top out at? Less than 100km for an AMRAAM?

Nenonen posted:

Given that we have no other details of any sort, the safest bet is that they are giving basic jet training with Hawks. There's no value in giving training for Ukrainian pilots on aircraft that they are not getting.

Yeah probably the best guess. I think the training pipeline goes: Grob tutor -> Hawk -> Typhoon with each being a step up in systems complexity. It depends what kind of pilots they're training, if they're veterans with hundreds of hours in MiGs then they probably won't get much from training in a Hawk but if they're fairly new pilots then it might be more useful.

kemikalkadet fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 8, 2023

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

How many such AWACS planes does Russia have?

9 according to that Pravda article.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

Maxar got some imagery of the AWACs in Belarus today. Looks like maybe some damage to the disc but it's probably not going to be out of action for long.
https://twitter.com/GianlucaMezzo/status/1630600581176762368

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

sniper4625 posted:

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1635685779639873540

RuAF forces down US drone over the Black Sea. Wonder if anything will come of it.

https://www.dvidshub.net/news/440347/russian-aircraft-collides-into-us-unmanned-system-international-waters

quote:

At approximately 7:03 AM (CET), one of the Russian Su-27 aircraft struck the propeller of the MQ-9, causing U.S. forces to have to bring the MQ-9 down in international waters. Several times before the collision, the Su-27s dumped fuel on and flew in front of the MQ-9 in a reckless, environmentally unsound and unprofessional manner. This incident demonstrates a lack of competence in addition to being unsafe and unprofessional.

Looks like they downed it by flying like idiots rather than shooting it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

I haven't fully dived into the source to see what the original context was, but three new corps doesn't necessarily have to mean a completely fresh set of 60k men and materiel in addition to the existing army. It could, and probably does to an extent, involve the restructuring of some existing formations so they have a number of experienced members throughout the new corps. So like disbanding one existing corps and redistributing them across three new ones.