Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
More air defense systems going to Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1579909193754374144?t=6YfAqO6pahYwY4_wZevGCA&s=19

Is there anything new in this G7 statement from today? I see the position is that peace will involve reconstruction through seized Russian funds, and a commitment to trying Russians for war crimes.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2022/10/11/g7-statement-on-ukraine-11-october-2022/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

I think the simple deaths vs. births graph isn't quite telling the big picture.

Observe:

Russian infant mortality isn't bad enough to distort it, so we can assume that the post-millenium numbers roughly reflect actual births.

Note the sharp decline post-dissolution of the USSR, but also note that 2014 seems to have reversed a trend of rising cohorts.

And also, yikes that is a bad pyramid.

This chart can make anyone want to quit drinking!

I've pointed this out before, but Russia's already-bad demographics aren't helped by their casualties in Ukraine, plus unknown hundreds of thousands of military-age men who've left the country. Novaya Gazeta, citing a security source, estimates 260,000 just between September 21-26. Has there been any attempt to estimate emigration from Russia since the war began? I know there was some at the beginning when sanctions started ramping up.

Edit: Ah, sources linked in Wikipedia say 900k.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_emigration_following_the_2022_invasion_of_Ukraine

William Bear fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 18, 2022

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

KitConstantine posted:

Line he's pushing during this question time is "economic sovereignty" and that countries need to further internal development of tech/manufacturing so as to remove dependence on the west as much as possible and to move away from the dollar as the currency of global trade in favor of 'local currencies'

Also Russia needs deregulation of industry to facilitate that development because of course

Zelensky predicted at the start of this war that it would lead to Russia being a big North Korea. I suppose it's time Putin started articulating Juche.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Belarus-Russia cooperation in this context is built on the legal basis established by the Union State treaties, rather than the CSTO treaties.

A good way to understand how various countries in the region are linked: