Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I rarely posted in the prior thread, but I have read it nearly constantly. Thanks to posters and moderation for creating the best-maintained stream of quality information on the war I've found.

Here's a question: what are some remaining elements of infrastructure that connect Russia and Europe? I am aware of TurkStream, is that the most significant item? I don't mean to ask speculative military questions, more to understand the leverage currently on the table for the various parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

spankmeister posted:

If you're asking about gas pipelines there's also Yamal through Belarus and Poland, Soyuz through Ukraine.

More general than that, but yes thank you. Maybe it is just gas pipelines, if nothing else would have a comparable impact if interrupted or damaged.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I would not want to rapidly drive a wheeled vehicle across them. Certainly, it would not take long to breach this element of the line, but it seems perfectly reasonable as a slowing effort. That appears to be what we are seeing across the line: slowing efforts.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Payndz posted:

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that unless each one of those little Toblerone chunks has a big-rear end mine underneath it, one shot from an advancing tank's main gun should clear a wide enough path for armour to get through, then the following infantry can just drag the rest out of the way.

It is true that there are many ways to move one of these out of the way. I would venture that infantry dragging them through mud is not the most efficient way to do so. You will note the mobile crane emplacing them; that's because they are far too heavy for even several men to move by hand. As has been noted, they are partially buried, rather than dropped on the surface.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Discussion on this topic appears to assume that the Wagner line's threat model is an armor offensive. Why is this believed to be the case? I was under the impression that Ukraine is more likely to field artillery-backed infantry with armor in a supportive role. Comparisons to WW2-era massed armor offensives, and the defensive preparations against such, do not seem appropriate to me.

I agree with the point that these preparations will only be as good as their manning.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Kharkiv counter-offensive battle group, the force most apparently likely to threaten those fortifications, worked seemingly like this:

1) artillery “softens up” the annoying part
2) a tank battalion (20-30 tanks) goes in at full speed through the weakest part, with a swarm of special forces technicals orbiting it in the role of recon/skirmishers
3) 5-15 battalions of mechanised infantry follow in their IFVs, widening the breach and isolating pockets of resistance/setting overwatch up on flank routes against the spearhead
4) a light infantry ball of TDF, national guard, police, border guard, etcetera follows in their APCs, Humvees, etcetera, combing through the territory and taking care of stragglers, partisans, and other liberation “accounting”

Thanks, makes a ton of sense. Motorized comes at the very end, after the obstacle is mostly irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Posters interested in naval damage control may wish to read some posts by former USS Fitzgerald DCA The Valley Stared. Here's a good place to start: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803602&pagenumber=25&perpage=40&#post473505233