Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d64
Jan 15, 2003
I might be repeating something that was already said but re: the gas situation in Europe, hs.fi reported two facts that I thought brought some perspective:

- While gas storage is at 90% of capacity, more than usual at this time of year, stored gas can only cover maybe as little as one third of gas used during the winter months. Previously, most use was covered by gas delivered from the pipelines and only a minor part from storage.

- Most of that 90% is still gas that was received from Russia via pipes. Now, assuming the pipelines stay shut, 2023 looks very problematic; with ship-delivered lng, getting to good levels of stored gas one year from now could be very difficult.

Furthermore, while terminals for receiving lng are being built in Europe, there's not enough spare capacity in lng shipping terminals. If projects started now, it would not help capacity for 2023 or probably even 2024.

All in all, a lot hinges on if the winter will be mild, normal or unusually cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d64
Jan 15, 2003

Saladman posted:

They said that at first, but more recently have been like you know what? Screw Sweden.

https://www.politico.eu/article/finland-join-nato-sweden-pekka-haavisto-turkey-ukraine-ankara/amp/

Which makes sense to me, as NATO is like 100x more important for them than it is for Sweden. I’d ditch Sweden too if I were Finnish right now.
I'm pretty sure Sweden being unable to join would be actually much welcomed by many Swedes, since it would again allow them to contribute less to their defense, while still being safe. It would be a lovely outcome for Finland in particular.

d64
Jan 15, 2003
Finnish papers report that exports of goods to Kyrgyzstan jumped over 800% last year. Exports to Kazakhstan, which were larger to start with, grew by 143%. Some of this is probably due to genuinely looking for new markets, but I think it's quite obvious what is going on.