Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Let's play Factorio: Biters for Resources

Biters for resources is a mod for Factorio, which can be found here:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/biters-for-resources

What is Factorio?
Factorio is an ecology simulator where you construct elaborate noodles of belts to ferry resources around into machines to make research bottles to learn how to make a rocket, and then build said rocket. All while the natives (Or are they also aliens? Are the trees native?!) drink up your delicious pollution and convert it into a menace.
This modded version replaces the traditional ore patches where you place miners with biter nests that spawn biters that drop resources when they die.

I saw this mod and really wanted to try it for myself with some friends. That's you! :D

I will stream it on my Twitch and/or YouTube and then upload the stream with an edited and unedited version sometime after that.
I think 2022/22/Oct seems like a good day around 18:00 or 19:00 CEST, but we will need to discuss and coordinate with the people joining in.
The stream starts 2022/22/Oct at 18:00 CEST!
It might be a multiple day event, depending on if we can somehow pull it all off in one go or if we need a few sessions.

Twitch link: https://twitch.tv/shadow0144
YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/user/LordShadow144 (VOD not yet available)

I want to use this thread to coordinate with goons who want to convert aliens into science and rockets.
Let me know in this thread if you'd like to join in!

Game info:
Server name: Goonswarm
Password: mangosteen

Engineers:
Shadow0
Rosalie_A
sigher
Squashing Machine
K8.0
Regallion
RabbitWizard

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
This looks really cool. Sadly I have too much going on right now to join in but I will be following to see how it goes!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I don't have Factorio, but I am invested in OP's travels. Welcome to Let's Play! Now we just need those posters who said they'd help up to show up itt.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
I appear to be free that evening.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

OP owns, I hope to be there.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
I'll join if I can, OP. Good luck!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Squashing Machine posted:

I'll join if I can, OP. Good luck!

Rosalie_A posted:

I appear to be free that evening.

sigher posted:

OP owns, I hope to be there.

Thanks! Welcome to the team! :clint:

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Lemme take a look at that mod, it looks fun, the one I use has them just drop bottles of science.
E: essentially, if you can create them, they drop. so you basically farm nests for colourful bottles.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I don't have the game, so I'll rock and stone in your honor in DRG instead.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

staberind posted:

Lemme take a look at that mod, it looks fun, the one I use has them just drop bottles of science.
E: essentially, if you can create them, they drop. so you basically farm nests for colourful bottles.

Sounds like alien science packs!
I started playing the game after these were already patched out so I never got to experience them though.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
They removed alien science because you couldn’t automate it, you had to collect artifacts and drop them into the system manually. So if you built a mega-base you would spend all your time clearing out the largest nests to being back two minutes worth of science. It also forced people to interact with biters to launch their first rocket, which some players hated.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chakan posted:

They removed alien science because you couldn’t automate it, you had to collect artifacts and drop them into the system manually. So if you built a mega-base you would spend all your time clearing out the largest nests to being back two minutes worth of science. It also forced people to interact with biters to launch their first rocket, which some players hated.

Yeah, when I found out about it, I thought it didn't fit the game very well, so I wasn't surprised they removed it.
In this case, the biters spawn infinitely from their spawners. As long as we don't destroy the spawners, we can kill them over belts and collect resources from them. They'll very kindly convert our pollution into resources! :weed:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Time and date may be limiting for me, but I'd love to participate if possible.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Oh sure, probe yourself. Deprive FYAD of their fun. I bet you wouldn't dare probe a plane jail veteran! :coal:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
lol, it begins. OP, i should note thaf you can still probe others while on probation yourself.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Sally posted:

lol, it begins. OP, i should note thaf you can still probe others while on probation yourself.

You and your Dept of PreCrime set me in this path, Sally. You created this self-fulfilling prophecy.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sally posted:

I can no longer be stopped. :evilbuddy:

I added all the people that said they might be able to join the game into the OP. Let me know if I misinterpreted your post. XD
I'll post the server name and password when it gets closer to the date of the game.
I'm not sure if this will be a one-day event. It will depend on how good we are at engineering, so if you are a bit busy that day, you might have your chance later in the day or if we have to have a second day.

Edit:
thank mr jpg biter on this picture

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

thank u mr jpg biter

here have this peak efficiency factorio layout

https://old.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/y309gc/cursed_iron_smelting/

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tulip posted:

thank u mr jpg biter

here have this peak efficiency factorio layout

https://old.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/y309gc/cursed_iron_smelting/

I think this can be improved with some diagonal belts

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Okay, mark me down as interested. Not 100% sure i will be available, but this seems fun for a change.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Regallion posted:

Okay, mark me down as interested. Not 100% sure i will be available, but this seems fun for a change.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Will there be any QOL mods running?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RabbitWizard posted:

Will there be any QOL mods running?

No, quite the opposite!

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Can't wait!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I'm really excited too! I just tested the mod very quickly. It works great!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I updated the OP with the concrete start time, sorry I didn't do so sooner. Reminder to everyone that the game goes live in less than 24 hours!
I need to do some more audio checks in the morning since I have a new microphone, but after that, I'll add the stream and YouTube and game information to the OP.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I'm pretty sure I won't be able to make it today. Hope you all have fun, though!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

K8.0 posted:

I'm pretty sure I won't be able to make it today. Hope you all have fun, though!

Aww, that's a shame. :( If you're free later, check by and see if we're still streaming! I think this might take a while, haha.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've updated the OP with all the game info. We'll go live in about an hour and five minutes!

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Shadow0 posted:

I updated the OP with the concrete start time, sorry I didn't do so sooner. Reminder to everyone that the game goes live in less than 24 hours!
I need to do some more audio checks in the morning since I have a new microphone, but after that, I'll add the stream and YouTube and game information to the OP.
Do we communicate via Discord or something?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RabbitWizard posted:

Do we communicate via Discord or something?

I only realized like a minute ago that that was probably what we should have done, but I've already configured OBS to capture just my mic and the game audio. I don't think it's easy to pipe in Discord.
I had been assuming we'd use the in-game chat.
If we want to use Discord, then we better set it up quick.

I figured that as the Fabrikmeister, I'd just give out orders over the stream; but I see now how it might be annoying to hear your own game audio plus my game audio at the same time.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
I joined your chat in twitch, maybe we can talk there for a few minutes before it is supposed to start?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
I misread CEST as CST :(

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

only 8 hours in and we are already maybe nearly close to stop hand farming in another hour or two

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

10.5 hours and we finally made it to a point where it kinda feels like Factorio.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thank you, engineers, for your brave, brave service in the face of overwhelming opposition. :patriot:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rosalie_A posted:

I misread CEST as CST :(

Aww :(
I should have written out Central European Summer Time to make it more clear, sorry. I also get them mixed up sometimes.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I now have a lot of footage I'll need to edit. Unless someone really needs 10.5 hours of background noise.

I'd like to finish the challenge, though it might take at least 2 more sessions. Maybe we can plan how long we want to play for. We can also set up Discord if you want to be part of the stream.

My next availabilities are (all times are Central European Summer Time):
Today :unsmigghh:

2022/Oct/28 from 20:00 CEST until whenever
2022/Oct/30 from 12:00 CEST until 00:00 CEST

2022/Nov/05 from 20:00 CEST until whenever
2022/Nov/06 from 12:00 CEST until whenever
2022/Nov/07 from 12:00 CEST until 00:00 CEST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Realistically I'm more free today than I am any of those other times. If we get a third who wants to spend some time expanding today, I'm down.

e - for that matter, I'm down to duo it. My weekend schedule has completely collapsed, so I really don't have anything better to do.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 23, 2022