Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
Problem description:
So just a quick note I'm pretty garbage at all things PC build related so the simpler the language the better. Sorry if this is long I'm trying to be a descriptive as I can

So my PC was a customized Newegg build from October of last year when the only way I could reliably get a 3070 was through the pc builder on their site. Until a week ago I had no issues at at all. I moved my case when moving a short distance and placed it on its side for a few minutes while I was getting things situated.

Anyway as soon as I plugged it back in I noticed it was much louder and seemed to be lagging like crazy. Being an idiot I ignored this and continued to use it as normal playing games etc. Eventually I looked at NZXT cam and saw my CPU was around 90C doing literally anything at all and around 65-70 idling. So I followed some guides on how to change the fans speeds to see if that would help and it did not.

So I took it to a computer repair place because I don't know what I'm doing and he replaced the liquid cooler with another liquid cooler because the guy said it failed. Now today I got it back and it is still overheating at every turn. The dude said it was better but it is not whatsoever. So I did some digging and removed geforce experience and changed the power plan to best power efficiency and it did seem to lower my idle temps to the 30-40C range. But once again anything at all besides like chrome shoots it up to absurd levels around 80-90C+. On start up it briefly reaches 95C+ before dropping down rapidly to 50s and eventually down to 30s but once again if I do anything for the most part it just goes crazy. I've also tried ending all tasks that aren't necessary to run but it didn't do much at all.

I really have no idea what's going on and why this is happening. My GPU temps seem normal so I'm fairly sure my cooling system is not the problem. I downloaded Core temp because I thought maybe NZXT cam was wrong but it's saying the same thing. I'm sure its related somehow but my CPU clock speed is going wild going from 800MHz to 4600MHz every few seconds. I never overclocked my PC which I'm sure is worth noting. All drivers and bios is up to date as well.

Lastly and I'm not sure if it really matters but I do not feel any actual heat coming from any of the fans but they are running loud and I don't feel any heat from the case itself or the glass side, it feels totally normal.

Attempted fixes: Replaced AIO cooler/had computer repair store look at it, updated bios/drivers, removed geforce experience, changed power settings to efficiency mode

Recent changes: Only thing I can think of is me tilting the case on its side gently for a few minutes.

--

Operating system:
Windows 11 Home Edition 64-bit

System specs:
Phanteks Eclipse P400A PH-EC400ATG_DBK01 Black Steel / Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-32GVK

Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express Gen 4.0 x4 NVMe 3D TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) CSSD-F1000GBMP600

MSI B560M PRO-VDH WIFI LGA 1200 Intel B560 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-11600K - Core i5 11th Gen Rocket Lake 6-Core 3.9 GHz LGA 1200 125W Intel UHD Graphics 750 Desktop

CORSAIR RMx Series RM750x CP-9020179-NA 750 W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Power Supply

Thermaltake TOUGHLIQUID 240 ARGB Motherboard Sync - Turquoise Edition AMD/Intel LGA1700 Ready All-in-One Liquid Cooling System 240mm High Efficiency Radiator CPU Cooler

GIGABYTE Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 ATX Video Card GV-N3070GAMING OC-8GD (rev. 2.0) (LHR)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Yeah, they definitely didn't fix it if it's shooting up to 80-90C like that.

It makes me wonder if the CPU cooler isn't attached properly.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

Zogo posted:

Yeah, they definitely didn't fix it if it's shooting up to 80-90C like that.

It makes me wonder if the CPU cooler isn't attached properly.

You were correct, the guy used the wrong spacers so there ended up being a credit card sized space between the cooler and cpu. It's in contact now and cooling appropriately thank god.