Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Serufu Yua is a clumsy, absentminded girl who didn't get accepted into the fancy vocational school she applied to with Miku, her super tsundere friend and next door neighbour. She doesn't mind though, and when an upperclassman fixes Serufu's bicycle after once again crashing it into a lamp post, she even decides to join a club involving heavy use of power tools and sharp objects. What could possibly go wrong?

Do It Yourself!! is an original anime series about the DIY club at Gatagata High, revolving around Serufu and her friends as they enter the world of making and fixing stuff on your own from raw materials and stuff you have lying around. I make and fix a lot of stuff from junk and repurposed parts so this is a show I've been looking forward to, and from the first episode they appear to be going all in on the concept. From classical craftsmanship involving hand tools, woodworking and machining, to the cutting edge of 3D printed additive fabrication and computer aided design, they seem to have all the bases covered.

Fixing something for a couple quarters that would cost a hundred bucks to replace, or better yet planning and custom making something to exactly fit your needs is such a rewarding process, and it's exciting to have a show that seems to understand how satisfying that feeling is. The art is cute and the animation so far has been superb, so if you're at all interested in working with your hands or do it already make sure to take a look.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Also everyone please post your projects of stuff you've made or fixed. I wanted a full coverage front fender on the loaner bike I've been using but I didn't want to spend a hundred bucks. I had some coroplast kicking around and combined with some zip ties I'd say it turned out pretty well.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

also worth noting that the creator of this show is Mitsuo Iso (of Dennou Coil fame) if that helps sell anyone. he's not in the director chair this time but his influence is pretty clear in the look and feel of the show

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Serufu has a promising future ahead of her in the United States Marine Corps.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
looking at the official site, the full name of the character who appears at the end of the second episode is apparently 'Juliet Queen Elizabeth the 8th'

https://diy-anime.com/character/jobko.php

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

My car is a basically a project of trying to keep an 18-year old car with over 220k miles running in the Northeast.

Within the first month of ownership, the oil feed line for the turbo burst spraying motor oil all over the turbo and exhaust and creating fair amount of smoke. Fortunately, this happened just as I pulled into work and someone there was able to fix the line for me though it took a few weeks for the replacement parts to arrive.

The following month, the driveshaft that had broken at the u-joint just as I was pulling out from my driveway. The joint is an integral part of the driveshaft so the whole shaft had to be replaced myself. Then COVID loving happened. Eventually, I bought brand new tools, floor jack, and jack stands to do it myself.

More recently, I had to replace the alternator while I was 40 miles from home because the voltage regulator went bust and was trying to shove 15V of electricity into the car's wiring at idle and would rise higher with engine revs. I was able to get a replacement alternator from a nearby Autozone and, with the help of a good Samaritan, replaced it on the side of the road. Also had to buy a cheap set of tools because I had foolishly left my tool kit at home.

Not too long after but probably not related, the oil pressure warning light intermittently lit up and soon discovered the dipstick was bone dry. Ended up needing almost 2.5 qts of oil out of a stated capacity of 4.7 qts. Yikes. Eventually, I find the source of the leak coming from the oil pressure sensor switch which happens to be at the top of the engine and as a result the entire engine block and everything below it is loving covered in motor oil.

I replaced the sensor which happens to live beneath the alternator so I ended getting even more practice uninstalling and re-installing the alternator.

Just another day in Automotive Insanity and I'm only just trying to keep this thing running.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 13, 2022

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You're doing a pretty good job so far, all I can manage to do is change the battery.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Purin jealous faces on the bus and the Pig's faces at meal time are a+ visual gags

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
it's so harrowing whenever serufu is near power tools. what a tense show

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Purin jealous faces on the bus and the Pig's faces at meal time are a+ visual gags

agreed. i also really liked the pan around serufu confidently saying the shows title to her puzzled friends

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I want to get into working on my own motor vehicles but without a garage or storage for car stuff I'm relying on friends for that and I don't want to take too much advantage of their hospitality. Fortunately I don't drive that much so it hasn't been a huge problem; my truck is 20 years old with less than 25k miles on it, and my car with 100k kilometers is hitting 17 soon. These days I'm more often than not lending them out because a truck that only leaves my parking spot once every week or two to do truck stuff is a perfect use for a truck.

It looks great on the outside but the rust inside the front quarter body panels is apparently getting really bad, and my car friends look at it with increasing alarm whenever I drive it over. I don't really care what my ride looks like but since it's made it this far I guess I'm gonna have to ask what the whole process is for getting stuff from junkyards, although it's probably not gonna be easy to get something that matches for something that old.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Big Leg posted:

it's so harrowing whenever serufu is near power tools. what a tense show

She's gotta keep her perfect attendance streak at the nurses office going!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The subtle pan from the table saw to the clamps when Rei was looking for ways Serufu could help pulled a good chuckle out of me.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Coxswain Balls posted:

The subtle pan from the table saw to the clamps when Rei was looking for ways Serufu could help pulled a good chuckle out of me.

The voice actor also did a really great job getting across "wait, no, hang on I just remembered who I'm talking to" vocally.

I also got a chuckle out of Miku being more and more angry every time she saw Serufu hanging out with her new friends. Girl's going through serious friendship withdrawal.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I do do it myself, I work in manga localisation!

Wait, I think I've misunderstood.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Why is this show so proud of it's one incredibly bad pun??

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

AnoHito posted:

one incredibly bad pun

Suride Purin = 3D Print

Fangz fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Oct 13, 2022

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Coxswain Balls posted:

I want to get into working on my own motor vehicles but without a garage or storage for car stuff I'm relying on friends for that and I don't want to take too much advantage of their hospitality. Fortunately I don't drive that much so it hasn't been a huge problem; my truck is 20 years old with less than 25k miles on it, and my car with 100k kilometers is hitting 17 soon. These days I'm more often than not lending them out because a truck that only leaves my parking spot once every week or two to do truck stuff is a perfect use for a truck.

It looks great on the outside but the rust inside the front quarter body panels is apparently getting really bad, and my car friends look at it with increasing alarm whenever I drive it over. I don't really care what my ride looks like but since it's made it this far I guess I'm gonna have to ask what the whole process is for getting stuff from junkyards, although it's probably not gonna be easy to get something that matches for something that old.

Without knowing your local junkyard scene I obviously can't tell you how hard it is to find parts, you may have to travel to get body pieces, they aren't the first to go because they're difficult to remove sometimes and there's only demand if the vehicle you're fixing is either in your situation or it survived a crash.

But yeah, most junkyards know what their inventory is and will tell you if you ask, no point in letting some guy in the yard itself if he's not going to buy. They may not be up on what's left on their vehicles, but they can tell you if they have your make and model sitting out.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

AnoHito posted:

Why is this show so proud of it's one incredibly bad pun??

Serufu doesn't have a lot she can be proud of yet okay just give this to her

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Big Leg posted:

agreed. i also really liked the pan around serufu confidently saying the shows title to her puzzled friends

Glad they put the subs in

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Namtab posted:

the dub watchers are going to be so lost

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Namtab posted:

Better to overdo it (without compromising legibility) than under do it or not at all. I'm looking at you Netflix with Komi-san. I'm still kind of amazed at how much typesetting Crunchyroll continues to do with onscreen text.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Big Leg posted:

Yeah, lost in the grave when I kill them

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Namtab posted:

Yeah, lost in the grave when I kill them

and my axe

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
serufu sounds a lot like yui when she goes 'eh he he'

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Big Leg posted:

serufu sounds a lot like yui when she goes 'eh he he'

No, not Yui. Yua. Yua Serufu.

Do it.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Serufu has the soul and spirit of a country obaa-san and I love it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

One day I see this in my lobby. Challenge accepted.

Checked the power supply board with a multimeter, getting proper voltage with the backlights disconnected but nothing when they're hooked up which tells us the power supply board is fine and it might be a burned out LED.

I don't have a proper benchtop power supply to do testing with. However, each of those individual LEDs is rated for 6 volts, and each strip is separated into section of 5 or 6 LEDs. 36v should be enough to test each strip individually, so let's dig up and chain together some 9v batteries.

I'd have liked to replace the individual LEDs but they're epoxied into those disks, so I ordered in some replacement parts. They came in, but those are broken too! It was poorly packed and all of the midpoint junction connections were damaged in transit. I only got a partial refund which was kind of annoying, but the problem was simple to bypass by, well, soldering a bypass connection using the test points.

Ta-da, good as new. In the process I even pulled a Serufu after I was so excited when the screen turned on; I had to remount the electronics before closing it all up again, and while I did remember to unplug it I forgot about that big ol' capacitor on the power supply board when I bridged its contacts. Fortunately LED TVs only run at a couple hundred volts rather than the potentially lethal tens of kilovolts from back in the CRT days so I just got a big zap out of it.

Not going to the landfill any time soon, little buddy! I think the previous owners were running the brightness/backlight at 100%, which is a surefire way to shorten its lifespan.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
hooting and hollering at suride and yua puns

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 14, 2022

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/cmGpKvq.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/i71Yxr7.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/Ehuwb3H.gifv

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

just finished the first ep and i hope to god there's no more CGI. otherwise, im diggin it

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

symbolic posted:

just finished the first ep and i hope to god there's no more CGI. otherwise, im diggin it

absolutely did not notice the CGI, unless you mean the drones and bus

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Zeruel posted:

absolutely did not notice the CGI, unless you mean the drones and bus

that's p. much what i meant. it's so minor that it doesn't really matter but seeing the bus for the first time made me laugh out loud

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the fact the drone and the bus specifically were CGI was a stylistic choice. I can't quite put it into words but I imagine the intent it to make high tech stuff or stuff dealing with the more modern school be visually different in a striking way.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Coxswain Balls posted:

One day I see this in my lobby. Challenge accepted.

Checked the power supply board with a multimeter, getting proper voltage with the backlights disconnected but nothing when they're hooked up which tells us the power supply board is fine and it might be a burned out LED.

I don't have a proper benchtop power supply to do testing with. However, each of those individual LEDs is rated for 6 volts, and each strip is separated into section of 5 or 6 LEDs. 36v should be enough to test each strip individually, so let's dig up and chain together some 9v batteries.

I'd have liked to replace the individual LEDs but they're epoxied into those disks, so I ordered in some replacement parts. They came in, but those are broken too! It was poorly packed and all of the midpoint junction connections were damaged in transit. I only got a partial refund which was kind of annoying, but the problem was simple to bypass by, well, soldering a bypass connection using the test points.

Ta-da, good as new. In the process I even pulled a Serufu after I was so excited when the screen turned on; I had to remount the electronics before closing it all up again, and while I did remember to unplug it I forgot about that big ol' capacitor on the power supply board when I bridged its contacts. Fortunately LED TVs only run at a couple hundred volts rather than the potentially lethal tens of kilovolts from back in the CRT days so I just got a big zap out of it.

Not going to the landfill any time soon, little buddy! I think the previous owners were running the brightness/backlight at 100%, which is a surefire way to shorten its lifespan.
hell yeah brother. glad you didn't die from too much electricity.

Big Leg posted:

always have been

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

vehicles being cgi is pretty normalized in tv anime at this point so it's hard to know how intentional it is. don't think I've seen a hand animated car since the 00s

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tales of Woe posted:

vehicles being cgi is pretty normalized in tv anime at this point so it's hard to know how intentional it is. don't think I've seen a hand animated car since the 00s

Then go watch Redline.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

that's not a tv anime!!!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It's also from the tail end of the 00s.

TenementFunster posted:

hell yeah brother. glad you didn't die from too much electricity.

Everyone should at least learn how to solder imo, without exaggerating it's saved me thousands of dollars over the years in electronics I would have had to replace because of dinky stuff like worn switches and cords, or one part failing in an otherwise perfectly functional piece of equipment. Digikey is great for that sort of thing, I got a reel of microswitches from them for my mice at least a decade ago for a couple bucks and they're still going strong with replacements every year or two. I need to finally bite the bullet and get a hot air rework station though, working on tiny surface-mount parts with an iron can be a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Jobko is cute. I wonder if her mum is as much of a ditz as Yua Serufu. Also, the two schools with almost identical written names that sound different is such an Iso thing.

https://twitter.com/RubenGallar/status/1582793266977652737

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 19, 2022