Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I'm very impressed Serufu managed to hammer nails without hurting herself! Assuming she actually managed that and didn't have to continue her perfect attendance off-screen.

Also lol at Kanji problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Well, the nurse did say it was the second time she'd been in that day.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

unexpected but appreciated that the American exchange student speaks as often in English as she does in Japanese

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I'm glad her hating DIY bit was promptly resolved, we don't need both her and 3D Printer doing it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It feels that people like her and especially Purin have that short-sighted STEM-lord mindset of cutting-edge technology solving everything, and I hope her character arc is realizing how dumb that is. You're always going to need tools and humans involved at some point in the line.

-----

When I had this telescope a while ago there were a bunch of accessories I needed like a power supply, dew shields, and lens heaters to prevent fogging. When I looked all that stuff was stupid overpriced for what it is so I made it all myself.

Dew shield out of some reflectix, with the inside layer glued with black felt and the outside just for fun. You can also see the battery and dew controller I made.

I made my own portable power supply that would last for a solid week of astronomy or drone flying, and I wanted to make absolutely sure everything was rated for the right power draw. Each output is fused along with the primary feed, and I found a low-voltage disconnect to make sure it stops trying to draw power when the battery is low. It could have probably been cleaned up a lot with a daisy-chained ground but I never got around to it.

That yellow port was meant for a solar input so you could put a panel on the telescope's lens cap and set it to track the sun for maximum insolation. Most of the energy used was from the heaters so the tracking would have really helped with getting the most energy possible throughout the day.

The dew heaters are just long strips of resistors in parallel that are wrapped around parts of the optics that need temperature control, like the objective or the eyepiece. To control the output I used a couple of inexpensive PWM dimmers. Four separate channels with two outputs each, using RCA cable jacks for connectors because apparently that's the standard in the astronomy community for dew heaters?

All this stuff would have been at least a grand if bought in store, but by Doing It Myself I paid a fraction and got superior equipment.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Just wanted to say I really appreciate the informative posts coxswain balls and Edward.

And the shows cool too.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

At first I was going to write this off but since it's focusing more on characters than the minutiae of building things (there is some of that, like how the glasses girl whose name I forget assembled a hanging flower vase in the background). So far I like the show, I hope Purin and Serafu can reconcile their differences.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

At first I was going to write this off but since it's focusing more on characters than the minutiae of building things (there is some of that, like how the glasses girl whose name I forget assembled a hanging flower vase in the background). So far I like the show, I hope Purin and Serafu can reconcile their differences.

its fine they're dancing in the opening they're gonna make up

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And kiss

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

oh good there's a thread for this. it's cute and fun, this is my official review

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Haven't watched but based on the gist, this is Eizouken for STEMlords, right?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

they haven't really gone in hard on the actual processes of DIY yet in the way eizouken did

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
And what a goddamn shame that is

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

I hope not because I fell off of eizouken.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

mutantIke posted:

it's K-On! if sponsored by Home Depot, OP

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dont Fall Off Eizouken!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

symbolic posted:

:hmmyes:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

mutantIke posted:

Yeah not quite at least not as of episode 3. If anything, it's been framing characters that are all gung-ho for STEM as narrow minded and short sighted that wants to strive for a Star Trek-style post-scarcity future but will inevitably lead humanity towards a post-humanity cyberpunk future at best and the extermination of the human race at worst. Now that Jobko is a club member and Purin's new friend seems to eager to see what the fuss is all about and eventually join, hopefully we may see some more light STEM get incorporated into their projects. It would be unfortunate if they went hard in the other direction and present the show as a rejection of new technology.

Ideally, the show should be presenting a balance of old tech and new tech, showing the merits of each, and how both can co-exist. As a STEMlord myself (Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering and Masters in Computer Science), I personally strive for a balance of using just enough tech to get things done without adding unnecessary complexity. Another way to phrase my strategy is to work smarter, not harder. I also took enough humanity courses and took ethics seriously enough to contemplate what the impact of my work would do as well as appreciate science fiction as philosophy in drag.

symbolic posted:

This is more apt because much of what they've done is fairly simple woodworking and crafts. Granted they're self-taught middle school students so I'm not expecting anything too audacious.

Then again, in middle school, I took woodworking class where we were taught various joining techniques that did not use wood screws. We were also taught to use various power tools including routers, table saws, and lathes. Definitely stuff I would not want Serufu to be around let alone use since they all crave human flesh. At this point, I can't remember if this was in middle school or high school (curse getting old and I'm only in my mid-30s) but I also learned metal working (spot welding and brazing were the most "energetic" joining methods available to us) and a small engines class where we tore down and rebuilt lawnmower engine. That said, just because I sort of know my way around simple engines doesn't mean I'm eager to rebuild the engine for my Subaru. I have neither the right equipment or space to do it nor a spare car to use while the Subaru's engine is strewn all over the place. I'm also not looking forward to any engine-out work (head gaskets, valves, etc as there is practically no clearance to remove the cylinder heads in-situ) because again that is something I'm not equipped to do and many shops will pay up the nose to do it because of the labor involved.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Yua Serufu reminding us that you probably shouldn't Do everything Yourself(!!)

https://twitter.com/Incomp_/status/1583888839961346050

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

mutantIke posted:

As a STEMlord (BS in Mechanical Engineering), my discipline is one of the few in that that'd know the right end of a power tool let alone know how to properly use things like saws, how to properly set screws, the right screws/bolts to use etc. This is the stuff STEMlords pay other people to do because they're too smart/dumb to do it themselves and risk hurting themselves.

symbolic posted:

It's this.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I don't mind that each episode isn't a how to on making a bench or a stool or whatever. I'm mostly here to watch Yua Serefu mess around and get slightly injured.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Edward IV posted:

It would be unfortunate if they went hard in the other direction and present the show as a rejection of new technology.

Ideally, the show should be presenting a balance of old tech and new tech, showing the merits of each, and how both can co-exist.

I don't think this is going to happen, it's more that the way they're portraying Purin is really common in the "maker" community that forgets that there are ways of doing things that don't involve CAD and CNC. Lots of people who are new to creating stuff from raw materials got their start with newer tech like 3D printers, and as a result have a blind spot to all the older ways of doing things that can even be less effort in the long run.

This show appears to has a love of gadgets what with the quadcopters and self-driving buses so I'd be very surprised if they went that route. I'm honestly expecting that Rei has a 3D printer of her own at home to make stuff with, going by the wheel boots she scoots around on that she made herself.

Omnicrom posted:

Yua Serufu reminding us that you probably shouldn't Do everything Yourself(!!)

https://twitter.com/Incomp_/status/1583888839961346050

oh no serufu

There is a lack of PPE in this show that bugs the stickler in me, but I get it from a character design and Serufu-getting-hurt point of view.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
She wore goggles last ep. That seems sufficient for a normal person. For Yua to not be injured, she'd probably need a full Kevlar suit or something

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

I mean, it would be very out of character from Mitsuo Iso if the show's ultimate takeaway were actually just "technology bad"

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

She wore goggles last ep. That seems sufficient for a normal person. For Yua to not be injured, she'd probably need a full Kevlar suit or something

Put Yua in a bomb suit, that might protect her. Might.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Zeruel posted:

Put Yua in a bomb suit, that might protect her. Might.

A full EOD kit might keep her somewhat safe while wearing it, but I expect she'll jam her finger something fierce trying to put it on/take it off.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Ten grand for a month's worth of rent? Wow! Whatta steal!

Mildly disappointed that it seems most of the DIY will be in the form of quick montages and background shots, but it's a cute and silly show, so I don't really mind.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
drat, what a lovely show.

Can't believe Queen Elizabeth did a colonialism (with cultural appropriation too!) Hashtag cancelled!

Someone pointed out to me all the trophies and certificates in Serufu's room. Interesting...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Watching Serafu wobbling on her bike reminded me of the end of The Wages of Fear lol

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I highly enjoyed the tsuntsun fight going on this episode, and I fully endorse the DIY club's ultimate goal of creating a place to hang up a wind chime.

Shoutouts to the bit with the ladder, the fake out almost kept me from expecting Serufu would pull a Serufu. Huge props to her, keeping a perfect attendance record even on the weekends.

Also there was no way the last bit with her riding her bike wasn't going to end up like that.

Fangz posted:

Someone pointed out to me all the trophies and certificates in Serufu's room. Interesting...

I noticed that as well, I was actually convinced we were in Pudding's room until it pulled back and confirmed where we were. I have to wonder what she got them in, animal training?

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

SexyBlindfold posted:

Ten grand for a month's worth of rent? Wow! Whatta steal!

This was a nice bit of characterization. Not only was Jobko just ordering tons of stuff from whatever the in-universe version of Amazon is, but she's clearly so rich she has no idea what things are actually worth.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Omnicrom posted:

I noticed that as well, I was actually convinced we were in Pudding's room until it pulled back and confirmed where we were. I have to wonder what she got them in, animal training?
Perfect attendance, obviously

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
There's something about Purin's tsuntsun and image that reminds me of Amity Blight from The Owl House.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

gently caress yeah dude this show bout to accomplish every suburban kid's greatest dream

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Everyone in this series is a treasure, but special shoutout for Yua's mom who's just the chillest person in existence that would make Buddha himself nod in agreement.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
That AR room decoration app seems cool. While one that figures out the optimal place to put furniture seems a bit out of reach, one that let's you place them and see them seems a bit more fasible.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think they already exist.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fangz posted:

I think they already exist.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Purin may need to rethink her strategy with Serafu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
girl's still rethinking her own drat name, give her time