Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
This show is so drat heartwarming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

DIY!! presents: Plant and Payoff:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

This show is so cute, and occasionally I actually learn something about handicrafts.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/t2o2ZIp.gifv

It's so cheesy whenever they do the "Do It... Yourself!!" chant but I love it. I laughed so hard when they recycled the animation a second time in the episode, and Purin meekly joining in that time was so great.

I'm not sure who gets treated worse, Meat or Kurage-san.

*^*^*^*^*

When I got into sim games a long time ago I tried out head tracking through TrackIR, which was super neat but very expensive, especially back in the mid '00s. When Arma 3 came out I wanted to try it out again homemade solutions became much more prevalent, using things like Wii controllers and webcams.

I dropped by an EB Games that had a bunch of PS3Eye cameras in a bin for $3 each, so I picked up a whole bunch of them for DIY projects. The video quality is poor, but they are very high framerate which is what's important for tracking purposes. The specific model you want has a round lens, the ones with a flat lens are harder to work with for some reason I can't remember at the moment. I think it's because the IR filter isn't as easy to remove.

Digital cameras typically have an IR filter between the lens and the sensor so captured images only contain the same visible spectrum as our eyes. For an IR tracker we want the exact opposite - we want to let in only IR light and block out the visible spectrum. The proper way to mod it is to carefully pick at the edges of the filter and pry it out, being careful not to scratch the glass of the lens. I got impatient and have a pile of them, so I took a punch and smacked the IR filter with just enough force to shatter it, but not enough to damage the lens. I picked out the shards with tweezers and a damp q-tip, and then cleaned the inside of the lens with some alcohol.

To make a visible spectrum filter, the material that old floppy disks are made of do the trick nicely. Cut a small square of it shaped for the area between the lens and the sensor, and we're golden.

Now we need something attached to our head that the sensor can track and translate to head movements. I made mine with a bent coat hanger, scrap ethernet wire, three IR LEDs, and it gets power from a USB cord I cut from a broken mouse. You can harvest LEDs from old remote controls, but if you have an electronics supply place nearby you can grab new ones with known specifications for a couple quarters each. Wider the usable angle is better since it allows you to turn your head more; the ones I got are good for 80 degrees, but are unfortunately discontinued. Glad I snatched up a bag while they were on clearance.

Shrinkwrap the frame to cover all the exposed wiring and you're good to go! I found putting in a piece of flat material before shrinkwrapping helps when putting on the velcro, since it prevents the LED rig from wanting to rotate on its own.

Because our DIY visible light filter is not the same thickness as the original glass IR filter, the focus is going to be all off because of the mismatched index of refraction. The fix for this is to turn the lens adjustment so the dot it almost clicked in to the red position, but not quite. After plugging in the camera and tracker this is what it should see, with three sharp dots rather than blurry spheres.

https://burningjustice.net/img/diy/ps3eye.mp4 https://burningjustice.net/img/diy/opentrack.mp4

And in game it works great. Flying with a HOTAS setup and getting into dogfights is so fun when you can look all around you. Total cost ended up being less than $20, vs. $200+ for an official one. I built this almost ten years ago, these days you can probably make even crazier stuff using something like a Kinect that you can get for ten bucks in a bargain bin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3xCQ6c6EbM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0CncLTlIeg&t=175s

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I love how Puurin just vibes with the whole cast while being alone at the end at the beach. DiY is doing probably the best version of this character arc I've seen

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I need an ADTRW Encode version of the show where Coxswain shows up after the credits Gunbuster Moe style to just drop DIY project knowledge.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

You can do it, Purin!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Just like the series, I want to show people that you can make and do some really cool things with stuff that's treated as junk. Because I like to tinker most of my knowledge is with machines and electronics, but I want to encourage people to share and discuss their own DIY projects in the fields they're familiar with, like Edward did with car maintenance.

Some of the jewelry Takumi was planning on making looks really cute, and I especially like the necklace that's a shell with a mini-model of the seashore inside it. I've never worked with glass before with my rotary tool, but now I know how to do it properly so I'll give it a try once the opportunity comes up.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Today on Do It Yourself!! They actually give instructions on doing things yourself.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
do they wear PPE yet

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
That’s one overengineered tablet stand

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zeruel posted:

do they wear PPE yet

Yah, briefly:

Points for eyepro, points off for using a power drill while wearing a bracelet with dangling cords, and also for using a drill right in front of her face with her hair loose

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
"yeah these cookies are great but they'd be even better if you finished baking them" drat takumin

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/MetroidPrimeRib/status/1592967816055230465

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Rei keeps making me like her more and more, and Shii-chan is the most adorable garbage disposal. I'm really happy they went over how to make the shell models this week, and it's neat how they keep showing the different aspects of DIY crafting, from decorative jewelry to utilitarian cookware. It also looked like they were comparing mass production and one-off fancy fabrication with Shii and Jobko's workspace, and it'll be neat to see how Purin's love of automation can fit in once she drags herself over to the Waku Wan.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I know the state of broadcast media is pretty dismal, but there's something I find super cool about radio signals. Just someone pumping out EM waves on one end which lets you just pull pictures and sound out of thin air. It's very DIY in how you aren't reliant on a middleman for infrastructure, you can do it all yourself using physics and geometry.

I got bored and built this from scrap I had lying around a couple years ago. It's a simple DB4 design that can be made with some coat hangers and wire, making sure that the phase lines aren't touching each other at the crossover points. The only tricky part is the balun that converts the signal into something that can be sent through a standard 75Ω coax cable; I had a couple ferrite toroids in my parts bin so instead of buying a balun I decided to try going the DIY route and made my own 300Ω to 75Ω transformer using some CAT5e and an RG-59 end to act as a makeshift coax port.

https://www.onetransistor.eu/2015/10/wideband-antenna-matching-transformer.html

This design isn't great with VHF Hi signals so it needs to be my the window for the one station in that direction that's right on the edge of the VHF to UHF transition. I bolted on a stick with a hook so I can hang it off the curtain rod, and I can stash it behind my couch when it's not in use.

https://www.onetransistor.eu/2015/01/gray-hoverman-wideband-vhf-uhf-antenna.html

What I really want to try building is a Gray-Hoverman antenna, but I need to find enough long strands of 8AWG solid core wire since it's not a bunch of separate elements like on the DB4. The Gray-Hoverman is Purin as hell in that it was an old design from the 1950s that was put through a modern machine-learning iterative process that spit out something that ended up working better than anything else on the market.

It's a bit of a harder design to build because of all the bends, which isn't helped by the lack of "nuts and bolts" instructions on how to make one that aren't just raw dimensions. The best I've found is this guy from the deep, deep south who's no physicist, but gives good hands-on directions and goes through the trouble of testing everything out. The dude doesn't even know what a parasitic element is and while skeptical he tests it anyways; he ends up blown away by the VHF performance he gets after adding some in the second video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FovEdu9BaWI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yavd9-rl5qQ

It's a project worth giving a shot, especially if you live in an area with lots of OTA broadcasts (which you can check here, both for stations and which directions they're in). It ended up being way better than the store-bought antenna I had been using, and it's a fun way to get started with radio projects. From there you can move on to other projects like building an aircraft tracker using a drink can and some coax; if you really like it, maybe an amateur radio license is in your future!

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
https://twitter.com/PINEJAM_info/status/1593159507726815234?t=Yrqg64toJafjLVNhTFFnVQ&s=19

Good job!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

A+ Jobko/Pudding content this episode....but what was Serafu building

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Lament Configuration?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

This week Serufu learns all about QC and project scope. It seems like she could be a successful in something architecture related after she graduates, something like concept art and mock-ups is obvious but I could definitely see her being good at more advanced stuff in the schematic and design phases with a little bit of focus and a guiding hand. I was actually hoping that she''d be the one doing the blueprinting, and then she would ask Purin for help with making a schematic the way Jobko did. Purin gets to show off to her friend, and would help a lot with keeping Serufu focused and on track.

Jobko doing it was still good, and I like the sisters dynamic they have going on. When Purin asked Jobko why she took on the task despite having to start learning CAD from the ground up, I was expecting her to say "because it it wasn't me, it'd be Serufu" which would have been great.

Someone who knows more please correct me, but the AutoCAD stuff felt kind of out of place to me. I skimmed through the CAD thread when I was looking to upgrade from Sweethome 3D and it feels like there's no point in using it any more unless you're stuck in some old legacy shop that still uses it out of inertia, which certainly isn't that case with those two. Maybe that's the catch-all term they use for more modern Autodesk in outher countries?

Sagebrush posted:

Anyone teaching AutoCAD in 2021 for any purpose other than converting old dwg files into a modern format is committing a crime against humanity.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oh hey, that's interesting to me! Because I have a coworker that absolutely MUST use AutoCAD for teaching.

I'm usually on Vectorworks because of the Spotlight functionality and how it helps with lighting plots.

But anyway, what makes AutoCAD so busted?!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It just sounds like newer programs have long superseded it in terms of capability, usability and workflow. I've got a friend who's teaching a similar drafting and technical education class to students Jobko's age and they use SketchUp Pro, which seems like a good starting point for an absolute beginner in CAD and it seems to be going well. My machinist friends use Solidworks, and I think my 3D printer friends use Fusion 360 and Blender.

Here's what was said about it in the post I linked comparing different CAD programs:

Sagebrush posted:

Sure, I can add some stuff about the programs I use.

PRACTICAL JOKES

AutoCAD is the original 3D modeling program, and in some situations people will say "CAD" to mean AutoCAD, or "AutoCAD" to mean "3D modeling" in the same way that we say photoshopped to mean "edited with Adobe® Photoshop® brand image-editing software." This is all wrong. AutoCAD is ancient garbage that people used in the olden days because there was nothing better available. It is backwards and kludgy and just generally awful. Today there is a better program for any given task than AutoCAD (if you're doing mechanical work use SolidWorks, if you're drafting use Revit, etc). The only time AutoCAD should be used today is by an old company that has a ton of old plans still in AutoCAD format, and then only by a summer intern whose job is to convert them all to Revit. AutoCAD also does not generate NURBS surfaces, only polygon approximations. Don't use AutoCAD.

see??? this is what comes up when you look for pictures of autocad. grandma's country kitchen floor plan. it's not a 3D modeler!! it's a two d drafting application from 1983 with a bunch of other poo poo glued on for old farts who refuse to learn anything new!! don't even try to do 3D in it!! give me a loving break!!

I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on accessible CAD software.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

As a Mechanical Engineering CAD toucher for the past decade, I am within my rights to say gently caress AutoCAD. It may be legacy but it's a loving pain in the rear end to use and to hell with trying to use it in a modern setting.

That said my current company still uses AutoCAD for electrical and sales drawings. :shepicide: Fortunately, mechanical models have been completely transitioned to Solidworks for years now and there is an ongoing effort to move the electrical drawings to Solidworks Electrical and either revamp the Solidworks Mechanical models to be used in the sales drawing or rework our workflow to obsolete the need for it. Pretty much everyone in the engineering department is in agreement that AutoCAD is cumbersome to use but at least there are enough well set up templates that it's not a significant bottleneck in our workflow.

FilthyImp posted:

But anyway, what makes AutoCAD so busted?!

It's very antiquated and just not intuitive to use at least coming from using parametric 3D CAD software like Solidworks. When it is set up well, I can see its merits like the aforementioned workflow at my job. And while it's certainly more lightweight that trying to replicate the same thing using drawing derived from Solidworks models, the fact that the models and drawings are intrinsically tied together (so you're not having to manually update the drawing besides touch up) makes model and drawing updates faster and more consistent.

As for the context of this episode, assuming their version of AutoCAD is still as ancient as AutoCAD today, it's really not appropriate for making tree house schematics. To do it properly and not tear your hair out, you probably should be setting up blocks first that represent your building blocks like planks, tree bolts, and such before actually determining the finer detail and layout. And while you can "do" projected views to see the layout from multiple sides, it's still a manual set up as far as I'm aware so the onus is on the user to ensure that every visible part in each of the views are physically in the correct location and is how it's supposed to look in that view. I mean, it can be done but it's not very beginner friendly.

While I don't know any hobby level programs that would work, Solidworks, for example, can technically work and is infinitely more user friendly and does away with a lot for the aforementioned caveats. However, the Maker version requires a $10/month or $100/year subscription. I don't have a frame of reference of what is considered a reasonable price besides free though the demise for Fusion360's free tier seems to suggest that subscriptions are going to be the new status quo.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I would shocked if the fancy school that Purin and Shii go to didn't hand out educational Solidworks licenses like candy to anyone who asks.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
struck by a bolt from the blue I need to find someone to commission DIY girls working with Frank howarth (woodworking dude on YouTube great videos)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I imagine they used CAD probably cause it's something that'd be at least something people would know vaguely or easily find when searching compared to other drafting software

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I was also hoping that this would lead to Serufu recruiting Purin for the blueprinting. But I guess they can do that when there need to be changes and Jobko can spill the beans and tell how Purin is involved and they gotta get her onboard. Also when Purin gives her reason for not wanting her name to come up Jobko should've said "Yeah I said the same thing but look at me now!". CAD as shorthand for "software used for blueprints a layman might recognize" seems like how it's used. Also this could be FutureCAD, the only survivor of the bloody Software Wars, and it has all the great features from the others.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

All those other programs we're talking about are also CAD software. It's more that it's weird that they namedropped AutoCAD specifically is all, since Purin is all about being cutting-edge and has been quite vocal about not using moldy old ways of doing things.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I've been using Tinkercad for basic-rear end 3D modeling stuff. It's babby's first geometric 3D program but it's free online and it's really easy to use, even a big dummy like me who never had any 3D modeling or CAD experience before could muddle through after watching a few short Youtube tutorials.

GloomMouse posted:

Also this could be FutureCAD, the only survivor of the bloody Software Wars, and it has all the great features from the others.

We see the text books they're studying in a few shots and they're all AutoCAD books. :v:

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

DIY made me look up whatever happened to that old pbs woodwright's shop guy. The answer was nothing. Roy Underhill is still filming episodes about making wood things with old tools today. Amazing

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
I have to wonder if perhaps Japanese design and architecture companies are still regularly using some version of AutoCAD, the same way companies were (or are?) still using fax machines. My understanding is that Japanese companies on average are less quick to adopt newer methods or technologies.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's not just Japanese companies that can drag their feet on new technology too. Quite a few North American companies will use old stuff cause it works/too cheap to switch/etc...My place of work finally switched fully to Windows 10 in 2020 from 7 and there is a lot of Point of sale software that still runs on old software

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
At my job in North America we use mills and grinders that are literally WW2 surplus machines, some of them might even be WW1. The kind of machines where everything is a manual gearbox and guards/safety equipment/clamping interlocks hadn't even been invented yet.

Every time I hear management say "They still work and we don't have enough parts volume to justify replacing them.", they just don't get that a couple of these machines cost them more than their replacement value in lost time/productivity every year because they assume a new machine will work the same way as if nothing has changed in the last 100 years.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Like Edward IV said there's definitely lots of companies that keep using it because it's part of established workflow, it's more that if you're learning something fresh in this day and age starting with AutoCAD is going to be very limiting. It's kinda like, I dunno, wanting to learn how to edit videos and learning how to do it with Windows Movie Maker in tyool 2022. Or maybe a less insane example is learning how to make a 3D avatar with with Poser instead of Blender, but I'm even less familiar with 3D animation stuff.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I remember having fun drafting some pretty simple houses with SketchUp, but I've been trying to get back to it several times now that it's browser-based and either something significant changed about the controls or I had way higher tolerance back in the day because Jesus Christ it's a nightmare to get used to. Like I could see myself building tons of cool stuff with it eventually, but no matter how many times I try I can never get used to the way the camera doesn't follow your pointer, the lines always snap in the wrong way and every keybinding is scientifically tested for being perfectly uncomfortable on your fingers and wrists while also being imposible to remember. Is my brain too small for 3D modeling, or should I just try Tinkercad or ome of the other ones?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

SexyBlindfold posted:

I remember having fun drafting some pretty simple houses with SketchUp, but I've been trying to get back to it several times now that it's browser-based and either something significant changed about the controls or I had way higher tolerance back in the day because Jesus Christ it's a nightmare to get used to. Like I could see myself building tons of cool stuff with it eventually, but no matter how many times I try I can never get used to the way the camera doesn't follow your pointer, the lines always snap in the wrong way and every keybinding is scientifically tested for being perfectly uncomfortable on your fingers and wrists while also being imposible to remember. Is my brain too small for 3D modeling, or should I just try Tinkercad or ome of the other ones?

Back in the day SketchUp was free, but they've since moved to a paid model for the non-web based version (SketchUp Pro). It wouldn't surprise me if the web interface feels more clunky than you're used to because it's been dumbed down. I decided gently caress that and went straight to SketchUp Pro which I found easy to get the hang of. While I was learning it sounds like everyone has their own custom shortcuts they set up for their own workflow, so after learning the basics and you get an idea of what your workflow is you're expected to set up a control scheme that works best for you.

I went with SketchUp because I was using SketchUp's 3D Warehouse with SweetHome3D back in the day for models of furniture. Especially if you have a lot of crappy Ikea furniture there's a bunch of models with correct dimensions already up on there you can plop into your floorplans, and for other stuff you can usually find stuff that's close enough and adjust the dimensions for your needs. It took me about a weekend to get the hang of things and have something I was happy with. Now I wish I could tear down my walls to also accurately model all the wall studs and wiring.

I'm not sure how it compares with something focused specifically on architecture like Revit since I started with an existing building rather than the other way around; if I put in stuff like dimension labels all the stuff that's slightly off due to construction tolerances would probably bug the hell out of me.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
This aside got me to renew my Vectorworks for Education license and hooooooooly poo poo the AR stuff they whipped up is awesome.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

FilthyImp posted:

This aside got me to renew my Vectorworks for Education license and hooooooooly poo poo the AR stuff they whipped up is awesome.

Does it work kinda like the thing Jobko was using when she moved in to Purin's place, or is it something else?

When I was looking up CAD programs to try out BRL-CAD caught my attention in the Wikipedia list because it's free, open source, and has been maintained by the US Army Research Lab since the early 80s. I think it's the oldest open-source program that's still under active development, so chances are it's just as pointless as learning AutoCAD today outside of very specialized defense-related applications. However:

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Comedy 3d modelling option - BRL-CAD; it's the US Army's open source 3d modelling software. Like a bastard baby of OPENSCAD and other circa 1980s 3d solid modelling software, but supposedly very powerful when it comes to simulations. The US Army uses it to run simulations on how much damage tanks and planes can take before system failures/destruction, so if you're super loving bored you can do similar things like "How much can a Ford Escort stand up to?" (assuming you have an accurate 3d model of one).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Coxswain Balls posted:

Does it work kinda like the thing Jobko was using when she moved in to Purin's place, or is it something else?
Not quite as cool.

Basically you can load up a model on a tablet and scale it to your preference (table/room/etc). The tablet goes into AR mode and you can check out all the angles and looks as you love the tablet around. You could feasibly blow something up to room scale and "walk" through a set or whatever.

Would be amazing linked to an Oculus Quest with decent passthrough cameras (if one even gets made)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So far I've been enjoying the show and helpful tips and total lacks of safety gear. I mean they shouldn't let Serufu anywhere near a power tool without an unexploded ordinance suit.